Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• edwards750
    edwards750 Member Posts: 1,568
    edited April 2015

Janis - I agree with Redhead you should have called us out. I hope you do know we all care about you but we just got caught up in the dialogue of those of us who are posting regularly. Sometimes you just need to step away from the website. It has nothing to do with not wanting to talk to each other but more of needing a break.

I am sorry too about what you and your sister are going through and of course your dad. I think based on your previous posts that I can read between the lines too. I have been in your shoes and I know all too well how hurtful it is. I have siblings who are still hurt and bitter some 10 years later. Of course we need to move on but it isn't easy by any stretch of the imagination.

That is so cool your friend Elizabeth is coming for a visit. I hope one day all of us can meet somewhere.

DH and I went through an IRS audit too. Another random one? We were braced for the proverbial agony of defeat so we weren't surprised when we did lose. I have to say though at least the IRS agents we dealt with were really nice.

Gigi - what a cool idea flying kites! You are so good to your grandkids. DH and I need to do a better job of spoiling ours - all 9 of them. We are such slackers. We usually have a family dinner on Easter but probably not this year. One SIL just broke her wrist again and had surgery yesterday. She and my brother are just recovering from their oldest son's bout with diverticulosis at 25 years old. He had to have 2 surgeries. My other brother and his wife are planning their son's wedding in Chicago in September. OMG its like Prince William and Kate getting married. A bit overkill.

So the next few months we have a HS graduation and party, an engagement party, my sister is retiring from IBM after 35 years and having a retirement dinner in Atlanta, the wedding in Chicago in September and our annual Notre Dame bus trip Labor Day weekend....I so need to win the lottery!

Happy Easter everyone! Sugar or not I am going for the Reese's buttercup eggs and Starburst jelly beans....

Diane

• Dogsneverlie
    Dogsneverlie Member Posts: 164
    edited April 2015

Cindy,

I can't even begin to imagine how you are feeling.  I am so very, very sorry and I am thinking of you.

Donna

• Dogsneverlie
    edited April 2015

Hi Janis,

I am catching up - a lot of times I am out here reading threads and helping newbies when I can and a lot of times I am quiet just so that I don't repeat what others have already posted.  You and I have shared posts about BC as well as our pet family - you are very special to me even though we have never met.

I hope you are doing OK and know that I care about you.

Hugs!

• Dogsneverlie
    edited April 2015

So.......I had reconstruction on Feb 24.  Was a tough recovery, not sure why but it was more than I expected.  Out of work for 6 weeks - follow up on April 7 and then anticipate returning to work on April 13.  I am a little disappointed with the BC side but I think the rads just really cooked me (no pun intended).  I need to give myself another 3-6 months before passing final opinion - the one thing that is good is that at least now I fill out a normal sports bra.  It's just the shape is the same only larger.......looks like the bottom half is still cut off.  I'll see what it looks like in a few months and decide what to do.  I really love my surgeon and if it stays this way, I might ask him if some fat grafting to the bottom would help.  I know insurance won't pay for it and I would need to save up but I would consider doing that.

I have to say, I look forward to returning to work.....DH works A LOT including weekends so I have been alone with my thoughts and they have been very sad, thinking about our little Bentley we recently lost.  It stinks how cancer takes all of our loved ones.

Catching up on all the posts, I know that I have been silent a lot but I have been out here reading and I do think of all of you.

Happy

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited April 2015

Dogs, hopefully your recovering quickly but I'm sorry your not as pleased with results.

I know how you feel about DH working weekends.Mine works all weekend but now their starting to give him off Mon and Wednesday.

I'm not sure I mentioned today was my yearly visit with my Breast Surgeon. I was worried about a couple lumps in my good breast. One almost under my arm the other on top of breast. They are painful and he felt them . He said it felt like fibrous tissue. What a relief. I was scared. Then he said he could see me after my mammogram in Nov. Why would he offer that if all is ok? Weird huh? He also said I could wait til March if I wanted to. Good thing I have several doctors(MO,Breast Surgeon,RO, GYN) and all do a breast exam. I had to really point them out because they are easy to miss and feel kind of like a pebble. He also said he could tell by the feel of them and where they were in the tissue that reassured him all was ok.

I think I need a drink.And you you all know how much I drink. I don't .

Brookside, I took the kids to the country with no water for the weekend last weekend and we survived. I remember you telling me you took your kids to the cabin and roughed it. We really had a time. I probably would never do it again by myself with no water. We had electric but I had to bring our water . Miraculously there was enough to drink,wash hands and do dishes.It was cold and I was the sole fire stoker.Brrr.... it was cold but we survived.

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited April 2015

You'll be doing enough travelling for all of us, Edwards! While we're sitting on our porches, sipping something delightful, you'll be driving or flying or schlepping from somewhere to somewhere else, keeping the economy moving along. But such fun once you arrive!

Unlike you, I'm not surprised your recovery was the pits, Dogs, am very happy you're feeling better, and hope your cosmetic result ultimately becomes spectacular. Have you already researched the issue of insurance vs. fat grafting? If it is needed to complete your reconstruction?

Your BS is the breast expert, Josie, so that's why they suggested a visit with him. Last year, I insisted that mine examine all six or seven mysterious lumps/places I'd identified. (Yes, I can be a teeny bit obsessive.) When I went back a couple of months ago, I was surprised to find he had recorded all those places, along with an estimate of the size of each one. If you get antsy about those spots, he's the one to see. All the rest will probably just agree that it's a lump and advise you to bring it to the attention of your BS. I'm already counting the months until I see the BS again (8), and the MO (6), and insist that they "review" my bumpies.

• josie123
    edited April 2015

Brookside, I'm glad I'm not the only one that has those. Yes I guess he is the expert but he is also a general surgeon. I should feel relieved now.

• brooksidevt
    edited April 2015

Do not worry if you do not feel a huge sense of relief, Josie. I don't feel all that relieved either!

• Redheaded1
    Redheaded1 Member Posts: 1,455
    edited April 2015

HMM. My RO is the one who does the most complete breast exam.  My surgeon orders my mammo,  and always has a feel, but that's the way I'd describe what he does.  My MO doesn't even do a breast exam unless I ask.  He says the B>S> and the RO will take care of the girls.....I always fly a kite whenever I am on a beach.  Adults probably think, look at that old fool, but the little kids come running as soon as they see me with it.... 

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited April 2015

Happy Easter

(((Cindy)))

Thinking of you.

• brooksidevt
    edited April 2015

Happy Easter, everyone. And happy Easter basket! Celebrate with chocolate. Hurrah for chocolate bunnies and jelly beans! We all need a little tummy joy.

• josie123
    edited April 2015

Happy Easter!!!

• gigil
    gigil Member Posts: 916
    edited April 2015

Happy Easter. My DD, SIL, Cole and Maya came over for a wonderful brunch. After that we went to the nursing home to visit my SIL Tony's mother. When we got back to my house my grandson Cole asked me to help him with an 18 page science homework project. We had a real breakthrough today with this huge unit of study. What teacher gives 6th graders that much homework over Easter? The amazing thing to me is that Cole has always disliked homework, yet he seeks out my help. We got it done, and it was gratifying to see the light go on in his head as he grasped the concepts and he was oh, so proud to have stayed with it to the end. I loved seeing him not only take the initiative to do his homework a day early, and also to finish it. I love that I can be so much help to him and I mostly love helping to give his self image a boost it also gave his parents a real boost to see him being so responsible. It was a very good day! I sent them home with all of the left overs. I need to go back to eating healthy! Ham does not fit into that. Hope you all had a great day

• josie123
    edited April 2015

Gigil, sounds like a Good Easter for you and family. I hear you about ham. I bought a half ham and we didn't even host Easter. It was on sale and I got over 5# of ham for a little over $8.And they sliced it free. Now we need to freeze some.

We went to mom and dads but DH couldn't make it he was working. We had the best time watching my brother,brother in law and my nephew flying kites with their kids in the front yard.It was a good time by all. Then my MIL hosted dinner at 5:30. Little did I know when we got there they still needed help setting up for the dinner.My hubby made it for that meal thankfully and he did get to go to church with us that morning.

• jojo2373
    jojo2373 Member Posts: 60
    edited April 2015

Hi ladies, what a great support to each other you are! If you haven't visited curediva.com featured on the bco front page I encourage you. Lots of stories, products, and guardians to help as well. Best wishes to all!

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited April 2015

I hope everyone had a Happy Easter/Passover.  It sounds like some of you had some happy gatherings.  We were invited to our neighbors across the street.  Flip and Kay. They are fun.  Between them they have 9 grown children, 19 grandchildren and one great grandchild.  Kay's brother and SIL are always there as well as an elderly aunt or two that they break out of the nursing home for family events.  What I love about going there is the informality.  It is always chaos yet in the best way possible.  The kids are all well behaved and they played outside a lot and had an Easter Egg hunt too.  It is paper plates and TV trays and serve yourself.  I love it.  Kay of course cooks for a crowd and the food was terrific.  She had chicken wings and St. Louis ribs and Babyback ribs along with assorted salads and chips and veggie and fruit trays.  I brought potato salad and was pleased that I made enough and got lots of compliments on it.

When we left one of the daughters gave me a big goodbye hug and said she would see me at the next family gathering!  As always she thanked us for coming and we all look forward to the next one which will either be Mother's Day or 4th of July.  I love all these people and it feels so good to be a part of this family.  We spend Christmas and Thanksgiving there as well.  When Kay found out a few years ago that we spend holidays alone she told us we never would again.  Really good people and I am so glad that we went. 

Off to PT for my Sciatica then I have an appt. with my new PCP this afternoon.  I am not looking forward to that.  The clinic I go to for my primary health care rotates interns and residents in and out.  I was lucky to have Kara for a couple of years.  She was a NP and wonderful but has moved on.  I have been assigned to a different primary and met him briefly last summer.  I didn't have a good feeling then and I hope this appt. goes better.  We shall see.  If not I do have the right to request a different PCP.  Kara prescribed Trazodone to help me sleep and he honored her refills on it.  Last week the pharmacy called to say it came up for refill and that he denied it.  Great.  I hope I don't have to defend my reason for needing these meds.  I am such a poor sleeper and Kara had no problem with me taking this med.  Sigh..........Maybe he will adopt WC Fields cure for insomnia.  "Get Some Sleep"!!  :)

• Evilmidget
    Evilmidget Member Posts: 10
    edited April 2015

I've been reading through many of these posts and I have to say...they're mirroring so many of my feelings. I started radiation on my mastectomy side (no reconstruction) six weeks ago and as of today I have 6 boosts to go and then I'm done. My MO already warned me that many people go through a depression after completing rads just because they're so used to going for treatment day after day, and suddenly that all comes to a halt. When she told me that I said, (because I'm sort of a smarta$$) that I would be in hog heaven getting back eight hours a week plus the money I was spending in gas.

I guess it will remain to be seen how I react to the "end". However, I already feel better (not physical....I'm burned to a crisp), but mentally because with the boosts, I don't have to use the breath-holding technique. (phew!)

• Redheaded1
    edited April 2015

Evilmidget ( i love your nickname)  I actually did feel some "separation anxiety" when Rads ended.  I was relying on that once a week session with My RO and the nurse and being told everything was good----it does happen.  Of course, I was retired then, so I didn't feel the pinch financially from lost wages.  I was glad of it, as I did sleep and lay around quite bit for the month afterwards.   Getting the end of Rads was a huge milestone.  You are almost there!  YAY!

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited April 2015

Evilmidget.....Whohoo....you're just about all done! Way to go! You know, I think we all experience the end of "active treatment" differently.....some with wild partying...Ok a special drink or 2.......or extra sleeping, or yes perhaps some depression, just whatever. I think you will find that you're really not done yet, as there are may follow up appointments to come. but there is a relief that it's all done and, at least in my case, a wondering about what I want to do "next". We have talked here on this thread over the years about most of us feeling some sort of PTSD type symptoms. What you and your body have been thru really is like a war zone (well, not as bad as Iraq or Afghanistan but still very stressful) and most of us need a bit of time to deal with all the emotions of it. It's just that emotional healing takes some time, and doesn't exactly start right away, I don't think. I'm 3 years out and BC no longer occupies very much space in my mind or emotions at all...... So.....I think you're already prepared to be DONE with it....and you'll do great. just remember to continue to lube up the BC side, because those rads are nasty on the skin and your body will love you for it. Oh and keep up the hydration and extra protein for awhile too....and some exercise. And continue to "treat" yourself occasionally......those are the best "mental health" things we can do for ourselves (in my opinion)......

Janis, what a great Easter with friends you had. I went to Mom's assisted living place and had brunch. Lots of the residents had gone out, but many of her friends were still there. It's like we all know each other, the children of the residents. And I didn't even have to do any dishes!

• MostlySew
    edited April 2015

Gigil, I forgot to mention that it's great hearing about Cole....he sounds as though he's doing wonderfully well. Yes, an 18 page science project sound huge, however he did have a week off, right? and at least it was a fun experiment for a grandparent to do with their grandchild. Maybe that teacher knew what she was doing assigning this project.

• brooksidevt
    edited April 2015

Welcome Evilmidget! So glad you're nearly done! Yes, my RO also warned me about the big letdown when all that daily attention suddenly stops. I'm not sure how likely depression might be, but I suspect pretty much everybody has some reaction to the sudden eviction from the center of everyone's attention. My hospital scheduled a follow-up meeting or two with the RO, then, maybe a month afterwards, with a NP whose mission was to help us navigate our "survivorship." I was very, very happy to meet with her a few times over the next year or so. In my case, I wound up with a pretty good case of PTSD, and her assurances that this was perfectly normal, and that it would go away in six months (later expanded to one year) were very helpful. I'm happy to say she was correct.

I'm hoping your last few days go really, really easily, and that your reaction to the sudden free time is simply joyful.

• josie123
    edited April 2015

Welcome Evilmidget, hope your boosts are uneventful and it goes fast for you.Yes you will notice a difference at the end of Rads. More like relief but you will find yourself slowly feeling more like yourself.

Janis, sounds like a great Easter for you and your husband. Oh neat of your neighbor to invite you.

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited April 2015

Hi all,
    It is nice to hear of your Easter visits with friends and family.
    I ended up hosting which I never do since we always travel to my kids' as it is easier.  But this year they were so busy so they decided to come to me.  It took me days to get the house in order, shop, and cook ahead.  I was so tired...went to church then changed into work clothes which pretty much stayed on for most of the day. 
    Dinner was hectic as one DD had to leave early for the ferry and the other was over an hour late.  So dinner was rushed, and the egg hunt was done quickly.  It all worked out and we had a good time.  I couldn't move to clean up so DH did it.  Yay....too much candy left here though.

Back to work today and my new office is ready.  It is freshly painted and floors polished, with brand new furniture for me.  There is a large window that opens for fresh air and there are new mini blinds which look so nice.  I will enjoy the quiet in there.  I have to spend half the days in the classrooms and the rest of the day in the office.
    DH got me nice accessories for Easter, including a nice marble nameplate (which nobody has and I feel like it's overkill, but it is a gift and I will use it!)  I will take a photo of my office when I have a chance.  For 10 years I've worked in a long room with rocks and minerals and books which I love; but no window and 3 doors through which everyone comes in and out all day. 

EvilM, best wishes on your last week of rads.  I remember...I worked every day but after the 6 weeks, I went home and crashed for 2 weeks of rest.  I agree with what was said previously - especially that you will feel like yourself very soon.  I did not miss being exposed to the radiation every day.  That was pretty emotional for me.  I enjoyed being done.

Janis, that is so nice of your neighbors to include you.  I am sure they love having you join them. 

Last night I had very painful cramps in my thigh muscles.  Never had it before...does anyone have any idea what causes this?  I stretched and walked and it went away finally. 

Wishing everyone a good week as we get more into spring and nice weather!

• MostlySew
    edited April 2015

Hey Joan, good to hear from you. Just popping in quickly to offer a humble opinion about those leg cramps....I'd think it was dehydration fromyour busy day. Usually it's the feet or calves, but I would think it could be thigh too......especially after the busy few days you had. Hope you're better now.

• josie123
    edited April 2015

I agree with Sew ,sounds like you were just sore from your busy day.

I'm so happy for you Joan that you got a new office with Windows. You deserve it.

I had kind of a rotten day at work today. This girl in anouther department actually got up when I sat next to her at lunch and tried to say it was the other girl she had previously Sat next to before I came along. She interrupted my conversation with my friend. Very rude and she obviously hates me.Sad.

• Redheaded1
    edited April 2015

Jeez, Josie, she's the one with the problem, not you. 

I'm sure shedoen'st hate you, she just lacks good breeding.

• josie123
    edited April 2015

I know Redheaded but it's kind of become my problem. She was trying to get me to engage in an argument when she interrupt ed my conversation. She's just plain mean and no one really likes her. She walks around with a chip on her shoulder.I'll just try to avoid her . I already changed my route to my department after clocking in so I don't have to walk past her. Just trying to avoid a confrontation.

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited April 2015

Thank You all for your sweet thoughts and prayers!

It is done. Yesterday, a beautiful full honors service at the National Cemetery...very sweet. Have a bit more business here and need to press my son to ride back with me.

Spent the Easter weekend at my dads...a nice distraction...force feelings...oh and a fun nap time It really is too bad my DIL is allergic...I thought she just didn't like dogs...Kaden is on love with Hunter...mural admiration. Will read back up and play catch up. (((Hugs))) cindy

• brooksidevt
    edited April 2015

What an annoyance, Josie. Make you feel like junior high again? I guess there's a reason she does not have the Miss Congeniality title! Putting the icky aside, How is the job itself going? Are you still mostly on the phones, or getting to do more medical assistant work? Now that you've been full time for a while, I'm hoping you are enjoying a bit of financial comfort. (I was going to say, "financial joy,"but I guess that would be overstating a bit.)

So nice to hear from you, Cindy, and pleased that your husband received the honor of a military burial. I've been thinking of you, and really hoping to see your smiling avatar. I hope you have found lots of things to smile about over the past few weeks, and that those smiles will grow wider and brighter as the days go by. With Hunter and Kaden (at least temporarily) around, joy is sure to seek you out.

• josie123
    edited April 2015

Cindy, I'm so happy for you that your husbands service was so nice. Sounds like your puppy and grandson have a beautiful bond. I've been thinking of you lately.Glad to hear from you.

Brookside, yes reminds me of junior high.But yes my job is good. I'm on the phones

3 days a week and supposed to be in back rooming patients and stuff on Tuesday and Thursday. But this doesn't always happen. Sometimes they don't need me in the back on those days.