Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited September 2015

Dragon,

I'm glad the fatigue is starting to abate for you. It was fairly slow to go away for me too, but one day I realized I was able to do lots more things without getting fatigued than I had been just a few weeks earlier. It's a great feeling alright. I did find that I had a few backward steps too, days when the fatigue just returned for no reason, but it always went away again, so don't despair. Along with that water, keep up the protein. It helps tremendously. And, if you're at all able, try to fit in some exercise. It doesn't need to be a high energy workout, just a walk around the block does wonders. So, tell us about this vacation you're planning........is this a treat for getting thru BC active treatment? A well deserved treat I'm sure.

Cindy, Ok...looks like you've made one decision anyway, selling the Texas Lake/Hill Country house (at least I think that's the one you're selling). So, are you going to go live near your sister? or kids? or grandkids? Or just get condo's (who take dogs) in all those areas so there aren't any maintenance issues and just travel between them? You'll have to let us know, as it sounds so perfect I may need to travel with you for awhile.....I like big dogs who think they're lap dogs if that helps any. Oh, and I used to be able to kayak but must admit fly fishing is beyond me. Good to hear from you.

Diane, baby watch continuing...... hope all goes well, and am glad those babies are past 34 weeks.

We just celebrated my mom's 97th birthday! She's an amazing woman. Her short term memory is shot, and she can't remember to check for phone messages, nor how to pick them up apparently, so even though I had seen her the week before her birthday and also left 3 messages telling her of our plans for her lunch, and my sister had seen her 3 days before, she burst in to tears when she saw us because she was sure we were going to forget her birthday! I told her if she'd stay in her room occasionally instead of always joining all the activities (bingo, rummy cube, bridge, bible study, exercise class, nightly movies and anything else going on) she'd hear from us and then remember these things. Oh, to be half as active as she is by the time I'm even 80 much less 97!

• MostlySew
    edited September 2015

Dragon,

I'm glad the fatigue is starting to abate for you. It was fairly slow to go away for me too, but one day I realized I was able to do lots more things without getting fatigued than I had been just a few weeks earlier. It's a great feeling alright. I did find that I had a few backward steps too, days when the fatigue just returned for no reason, but it always went away again, so don't despair. Along with that water, keep up the protein. It helps tremendously. And, if you're at all able, try to fit in some exercise. It doesn't need to be a high energy workout, just a walk around the block does wonders. So, tell us about this vacation you're planning........is this a treat for getting thru BC active treatment? A well deserved treat I'm sure.

Cindy, Ok...looks like you've made one decision anyway, selling the Texas Lake/Hill Country house (at least I think that's the one you're selling). So, are you going to go live near your sister? or kids? or grandkids? Or just get condo's (who take dogs) in all those areas so there aren't any maintenance issues and just travel between them? You'll have to let us know, as it sounds so perfect I may need to travel with you for awhile.....I like big dogs who think they're lap dogs if that helps any. Oh, and I used to be able to kayak but must admit fly fishing is beyond me. Good to hear from you.

Diane, baby watch continuing...... hope all goes well, and am glad those babies are past 34 weeks.

We just celebrated my mom's 97th birthday! She's an amazing woman. Her short term memory is shot, and she can't remember to check for phone messages, nor how to pick them up apparently, so even though I had seen her the week before her birthday and also left 3 messages telling her of our plans for her lunch, and my sister had seen her 3 days before, she burst in to tears when she saw us because she was sure we were going to forget her birthday! I told her if she'd stay in her room occasionally instead of always joining all the activities (bingo, rummy cube, bridge, bible study, exercise class, nightly movies and anything else going on) she'd hear from us and then remember these things. Oh, to be half as active as she is by the time I'm even 80 much less 97!

• MostlySew
    edited September 2015

Phew....I actually "lost" the above post, but I kept hitting the back arrow until it showed up again...just a hint for anyone who looses a post. Much easier than retyping, or even trying to remember

Headphones

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited September 2015

Sew - hee hee lap dogs...selling the home in TX 😢. Will give it a go in CO...I'm really a SoCal beach girl...but my sister has been courting me so...new construction will be done Jan/Feb. Will pack up here and store in pod to be delivered to Denver when I brave the weather. Dad&son are mixed on the move. Considering selling the condo in Rancho Mirage and picking something near them...then all the moving makes me shudder and I think sell it all and head to the beach. Don't want stairs and need some yard for lab. Condo is easy lock and go...gate is difficult to get in so very secure, just not a desert rat...need water. Or to my dads terror sell TX and keep desert condo and buy a sailboat at the beach...hummm I have pondered my ability to maintain a boat. Wish God would just give methe game plan

Congrats on moms bday! My mom has been gone 12 yrs yesterday. Miss her. Yes, to be active and young at heart carefree...😎

(((Hugs)))

Cindy

• CAMommy
    CAMommy Member Posts: 93
    edited September 2015

I looked at the website

http://www.uspreventiveservicestaskforce.org/Page/...

And I'm not seeing the problem, I'm sorry. If you have a family history or higher than normal risk you can still get mammos early and often. This does not at all affect those who have been dx with BC. You will still get regular care, treatment and follow up. This will hopefully reduce the number of DCIS dx where we are clearly way over treating people. Treating DCIS has not proven to reduce IDC rates or increase survivability.

I guess I'm missing something on why these changes are so bad....

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited September 2015

Cindy you have dealt with so much this year, and now the new move. I know you love your warm weather and Colorado must seem a bit daunting. I have to tell you though, you are moving to my dream area. I lived in the Denver area for many years and loved it so. My youngest son lives high in the mountains west of Denver, in Conifer. When I have visited in the past I feel like I am staying at a beautiful hotel. Son and DIL have two Golden Retriever's, as do DH and I. They have a beautiful deck off the living room and the view out that glass door looks right at Pike's Peak. It is glorious and never ceases to take my breath away. The change will be difficult I know, but I hope being closer to your sister will help you heal. If you need any help or advice, don't hesitate to ask. My son and DIL are both geologists and have lived thee forever. They would be happy to advise you if you have questions or problems. Let me know, and much love and luck to you in the days and weeks ahead.

Sew what a wonderful milestone for your Mom and your family. She sounds like an amazing woman and still happy and active at 97 is amazing. I don't have to tell you how blessed you are to have her for so long. My mom passed when she was 65 and I felt so cheated. Tell Mum happy belated from your friends here. I bet she is a little familiar with us already!

Diane, i am thinking of you and I hope the babies come soon, and healthy.

Hugs to all!

• dragonista17
    dragonista17 Member Posts: 4
    edited September 2015

Thanks, MostlySew-

Yes, it's slow going and uneven, but doing better the past couple of days. Tuesday will be 28 days post-treatment, so it's about time! This is a trip we'd planned to do originally a few months ago, then all this happened. It's the same trip, going to visit friends and family in a few places, plus time for just DH and me, all on the other side of the country:) Knowing this was coming up helped me get through everything. No exercise for me yet, but it will happen. I'll have to recover from the trip for a couple of weeks, and then I can start again, although with luck I'll be up to small walks while we're away. I need to tie a ribbon or something on my wrist to remind me about drinking enough water. Happy birthday to your mom!

• edwards750
    edwards750 Member Posts: 1,568
    edited September 2015

Sew- how awesome 97 years old! You are so blessed to still have her in your life. Thanks for the tip about lost posts. Has happened to me more than once.

Cindy - Denver sounds like a wonderful place to live. Never been there. Hope to someday.

Janis - thanks. The waiting game is agonizing. Sister's birthday was yesterday. Talked to her a long time. Miss her but she is enjoying retirement. DD's birthday was Sunday. She is feeling better but her text to me yesterday suggests she is throwing in the towel with the custody fight. That's a major concern. Good grief she is so all over the place with her emotions but needs to focus on the big picture. I wish she would get some professional help otherwise this won't end well.

Have a good week everyone!

Diane

• 70charger
    70charger Member Posts: 591
    edited September 2015

• MostlySew
    edited September 2015

That cat looks like I feel in all this heat and humidity which we're not used to out here in (smoky) California. latest fire is really scary. We think a friend has lost everything. She won't even find out for a day or so. It's still 50 miles from me, but we're getting the smoke from this one. My poor lungs are still battling the rare double pneumonia infection so aren't too happy.....but my Socks Match! Have a good week everyone

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited September 2015

50 miles is too close for me Sew, please be careful. And smoke coming your way too? Not good. I will pray.

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited September 2015

Ah Sew, stay inside if it's smoky air! So many people we know are at risk. Three fires in the last two weeks along our nearest highway. No reverse 911 calls, no flights overhead. That's less than two miles away...how close does it have to get before they warn us?

Rosh Hashanah starts tonight, the Jewish New Year. For those who celebrate I wish you a sweet, safe and healthy year.

• josie123
    edited September 2015

Oh SaB, less than 2 miles. Too close!!! Stay safe.

• MostlySew
    edited September 2015

Sab, I had no idea your fires were so close. And evacuation from your area would be difficult at best on those roads. I hope you've got your emergency kit packed....I've finally started mine, this is just too dry out here. Happy Rosh Hashanah to you too. All ready for your interview

• gigil
    gigil Member Posts: 916
    edited September 2015

Just popping in to say hi. I read back to catch up on everyone. Joan, it sounds like you are back to it again. Did you travel much this summer? Did I miss that news? Brookside, glad your incident on the stairs is nothing more serious, although arthritic changes and lack of estrogen are miserable enough. SAB, glad your MRI came out benign. I was reading through hoping for that news. SEW, it sounds like you are on the mend and ready to taper off some of the meds. Cindy, good to hear from you. I feel your pain, trying to figure out what to do next. We went through some of that last year. We built the small place on a golf course near our daughter. We now have two smaller homes in Minnesota - city and small town - and the apartment in Florida. It is a bit much to keep up with. I am getting better at it. I am still working on the IRS audit. I am getting to the end of it. OUCH! Hi to everyone else. Welcome to the newcomers. Fall is slowly trending here in Minnesota. My favorite time of year. Good to catch up with all of you. Janis, a special hug to you, dear

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited September 2015

Good morning on a beautiful sunny low-humidity day (it feels like Colorado in NY)
    First, I have been off for awhile, so thanks for keeping my read-back to only a page.
    SAB Happy New Year! Rosh Hashanah is a holiday for most schools in the greater New York area. I am happy to say I am off today.
    I am grateful for your good news. I agree with your concern about notification of fire nearby. We have to make our own plans, it seems.

Welcome to the new ladies here...I truly hope you will stay awhile....we are quick to get to know you and each of us has been through the aftermath of rads - either uneventful or otherwise. Dragon, the trip sounds great. That is what kept me going through treatment. Sunshine, welcome.

Hi Gigil, you were gone longer than I was. This summer was a combo of short trips and one long. I saw my brother & sister-in-law in Dayton, I visited my son in Chicago, I spent time in Cohasset, MA with my grandaughters, and a long 12 days in California with my son and his partner.
    I had a lot of visitors and early summer felt like a hotel here. My DC DD visited with grandson; CT DD visited with her kids, some kids stayed alone (love this!), and Chicago DS came here. NY grandson visited week ends with his gf. All good.

I will be in Denver on Friday night then traveling to Co Springs and Ft. Garland to our friends who live at 9,000 feet (oxygen, please!) I am taking 2 days off from work and have an extra day for another Jewish holiday. I feel so blessed - we are using air miles and stay for free at my friends! Can't beat that.

Work....it is hard. I am reading a great book about committing to tasks and following through...it's about being a "victim" or an "owner" in all phases of life. I am willfully working on discarding the victim identity so that I can move on and do some productive things at home and work. It must be working....I have a list and a good attitude today. (BCO was not on my list, but I will pencil it in. Each of you means so much to me.)

Diane, we're all on baby watch! Hoping these little ones will bring peace and joy.
    I feel your concern about your DD. Is intervention possible? I was so passive with my DD and it took an emergency to address her issues. Hugs and prayers for your family.

Janis, I am glad you are OK. I did not read your posts and do not need to...just know I am sending hugs and prayers your way.

Cindy, so good to hear from you. I am sure our paths will cross someday in CO. It is a wonderful place to live - am even looking at real estate while there. But, like you, we need to have a connection to the beach. What you are doing is so much work both physically and emotionally. I admire what you've done in the past when you make a decision; and I think you will do well wherever you go.

Sew, please be mindful that you need clear air for your healing lungs. Be on the move if you must. Your mother's 97th? amazing. She is a blessing in your life.

Brookside, I hope you are enjoying the same gorgeous weather that I have today. We have had such a warm August and September.

Josie, I know what you mean about the early hours....it is challenging for me too. I hope the job and new person are working out.

Back to my list.....

• justmejanis
    edited September 2015

Sew you have been in my thoughts with all the fires and the terrible smoke. My DH has COPD and when the fires were not far from us it was so terrible for him. Your poor lungs have been through so much already. I hope they can get the fires under control. I watch the news in horror and am so sad for all of the victims.

I just wanted to stop in and say hi to everyone. Gigil it was great to hear from you, I know how busy you are and happy you took the time to pop in.

Have a safe week everyone!

• josie123
    edited September 2015

Janice nice to

hear from you sweetie. Hope your doing ok. Your in my prayers .

Gigi, nice to hear from you too. How was your summer?

Joan, enjoy your day off. And yes thanks for asking the new lady is doing well which makes my life much easier.

The weeks have been flying by. It is like fall here already Nice cool weather this weekend .

• edwards750
    edited September 2015

SAB and Sew- saw the news about the fires. Horrific. Please be safe and I hope your friend's home is okay. I bet it is doing a number on your lungs. So sorry.

Gigil - goid hearing from you. You are always on the go. You guys with your multiple houses. I can't keep up with or afford more than 1.

Joan - lots of fun for you and your family. Yes still on baby watch which us unnerving to say the least. Nephew's wedding in Chicago is a week from Saturday. The guest list has ballooned to 300. DH and I are not going if the babies haven't been born. DS is terrified and we won't leave him. Hard to focus on anything but that right now. As for DD no she would probably resent an intervention. This had been going on for years and years. I think it will take something drastic for her to get help not that she hasn't already had some horrific experiences. I'm glad your's got the wake up call.

It's Fall like here too Josie. Love the season. Already decorated inside and out. I change both every season and decorate for the holidays. My mom always did. Glad things are k at work.

Janis - hope DH feels better. I'm sure it's really rough on his lungs too. So sorry.

Big craft show yesterday was nice. 80k people n 2 days. Not a lot of decorations but plenty of clothes and jewelry being sold and the vendors who sell food/drink make a killing. Bought a few small things. Friend bought a beautiful Fall wreath.

K back inside Mosquitos are out in full force!

Diane

• ohiofan
    ohiofan Member Posts: 152
    edited September 2015

Sew and SAB, I can't even imagine what you are dealing with. Know that we are thinking of you and hoping your families are safe.

I have been trying to keep up with all of your busy lives! Must admit that I have been so lazy this summer. ...a few family trips and several opportunities to babysit our DGS!!! He lights up our lives!!

Be safe!!

Ohio

• gigil
    gigil Member Posts: 916
    edited September 2015

Hi again! Josie, summer has been filled with grandkids time which has been sweet and magical. Now that school has started, everyone is busy again. DS#2 is selling a house and buying one, end of this week. I will have some grandkids time during the move. I hope to cook for all of them to make their moving easier. It sounds like your work is settling down a bit? And you had a nice dinner out with your family? Is Chevy's that fresh Mex place?

Diane, it sounds like you have a lot on your mind lately. I hope it all goes smoothly.

Joan, I almost made a trip to Cohasset a couple of weeks ago. I decided to stay back and get some things done instead. I may regret not getting there this summer. No beach time at all. Glad you have had some nice trips over the summer.

I will try to pop in more. I have had a lot going on with DH's medical situation. He scheduled a surgery, which was supposed to happen tomorrow. He cancelled and elected to try a more conservative approach. Whew! That was a relief to me. My gut was telling me that is what he should do. I am greatly relieved, and now I can concentrate on other things. Talk soon. Love to all of you wonderful ladies,

GiGi

• SAB
    edited September 2015

Gigi how nice to see you! What a sweet and wonderful grandma person you are, to cook for the move. So glad your dh decided to move forward cautiously.

Josie, thank you for the concern but the fires on our road were small (less than an acre) and put out very quickly. Nothing at all like the terrible devastation that is taking place up near Sew. Ohio (I'm originally from Ohio too) thank you for the good thoughts...you too Edwards!

Sew I watch the news every day, it's so frustrating to see that Valley fire still out of control. Will you use oxygen or a mask while it's smoky?

• SAB
    edited September 2015

Joan, I went back after my "skim" and see you are still struggling with work. It's good that you are reading and thinking about how to be there. I appreciate your words about how much we have and will take them to heart myself. Hugs.

• josie123
    edited September 2015

SAB, thank goodness your not close to the terrible wildfires. But even a small fire could turn into a big one. B

Gil, sounds like a fun summer to me with the grandkids.

Yes dinner at Chevy was good but expensive. It was like $80 before tip I think(for 5of us). That's ok if you dont live week to week like we do.But were doing ok now.

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited September 2015

thinking of everyone here-- read your posts but too tired to post now. Sleep and work again! No complaints right now.

I hope to steal some free time tomorrow to catch up here.

• april485
    april485 Member Posts: 1,983
    edited September 2015

Just popping in to say hello. This is my craziest time of the year with school starting all over the place because I send people to trainings, many of which are at the local colleges. People come out of the woodwork when they find out from the schools we might be able to pay for the training as many don't qualify for financial aid as they are non credit vocational education for the most part with the occasional for credit offering. Sooo, not a lot of time.

Hugs and hoping that you are not too near the smoke Sew!

Hi Gigil!

xoxo

• SAB
    edited September 2015

Went on an interview. Gah, they are truly horrible. Went well, but just the process of being judged is so uncomfortable.

• edwards750
    edited September 2015

Good luck SAB and totally agree about interviews. I worked at FedEx and their interviews were panel interviews. Talk about your proverbial firing squad and were typically hours long. I blew a job one time because of that. They drilled me like I was applying for Fred Smith's job. Please.

Had lunch with youngest brother yesterday and spilled the news about the babies. Didn't intend to but he asked about DS and I was vague about his relationship with the babies mother. He was as expected stunned and sympathetic. I expected no less from him. He said he would help in any way he could and he will. We are close. He also said God must think he can handle this.

Up next probably tomorrow will be sister and another brother. I'm only telling this brother because of his son's upcoming wedding. We can't cancel at the 11th hour. Reservations, etc. Def can't leave sister out of the loop.

I just love Fall flowers. Yellow and rust mums on my front porch. So pretty.

Diane

• edwards750
    edited September 2015

Cats out of the bag. Family knows. Surprised but supportive. Relief.

Diane

• justmejanis
    edited September 2015

Diane I am glad that is over for you. I know that keeping everything from them has been difficult. It is so nice they are being supportive.

SAB, sorry about that interview process. It doesn't sound like any fun at all. I am really relieved that you are not too close to those fires. I think about poor Sew and how this must be affecting her.

Joan, HI!!! Just happy that you popped in. I know how busy you are.

April, it seems like it has been a long time. Sure sounds like you are busy. Keep in touch.

Gigil, same with you. I always enjoy your busy posts. Your life is so busy and full. How I wish I lived closer to my family. I am well over 1,000 miles from anyone.

Josie, how are you doing Sweetie? I hope everything is better at work and that you are feeling really good.

Have a delightful weekend my friends. Remember to tell those close how much you care.

I care deeply for all of you!

Much love!