Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• 70charger
    70charger Member Posts: 591
    edited October 2015

Dianeimage

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited October 2015

Love all the before and after pics, Diane. Super beautiful! And the finish is clearly supremo and perfecto. I can tell from the "before's" that you've been waiting for this gorgeousness for quite some time. Again beautiful. You're not really going to cook in this pristine setting, are you?

Sorry about the job, SAB. I guess the good news is you don't have to ramp up a whole new set of procedures and policies and so forth. THere is certainly something to be said for the comfort of same-old, same-old.

I realize I'm tired of working. Since I moved my office into my house (June1), I've been working less and less, eating more and more. Up 10 pounds, plus another five from the decision-making months. I don't have quite enough $$$ to feel safe retiring, but then again, my energy level is sooooo low. I've been saving multiple TV shows, too many to watch at night, and, worse, watching them. During the day. Like right now. Naughty, Just watched The Widower, a new series, or maybe mini-series on public TV. Anyone else watch that one?

Joan, how's your job? I'm hoping the academic intrigue is lessening as everyone gets back into the swing of the new semester and that you're not exhausting yourself.

Hi to everyone else.

• Redheaded1
    Redheaded1 Member Posts: 1,455
    edited October 2015

Hi everyone----been gone on vaca and catching up slowily. Wrist was doing wonderfully after a cortisone shot 4 weeks ago, now it is bugging me. Doctor says NO we are not to do these unless last resort . Received a mild lecture about knowing that pain means stop, rest, ice and recover. Says I am released (8 months post surgery) I can't do NSAIDS (allergic as all get out), so I have been sewing quilt blocks and just cutting the damn fabric has triggered pain in the wrist. I am a Gardener, a quilter, and a bowler and a genealogist, so all those things require the use of the right hand/wrist, forearm... I don't want to move to a condok cause I love the gardening too much.

My frustration level is so high I could stand on the roof and scream until a lung burst....some of my neighbors wouldn't think anything of it if I did......ha., Maybe I would feel better. Sore throat might make me forget the wrist.

My aunt who came on Sept 17 to stay with my dad to give me a break (first one in 3 years) goes home on the 15th. So I was tryig to scramble and get caught up at my house with outside lawn care, sewing projects, etc. Can't seem to catch a break. OK that's my rant, don't worry, it will all work out.

I just do what I can and trust the Lord for the rest. Seriously.

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited October 2015

Diane, I'm so sorry abou your MIL. It's so hard to watch our loved ones slowly slipping away.What a helpless feeling. My prayers are with you and your family.

Fran, great job on those cabinets what a difference before and after.

Redheaded, bless your heart. I hope you can finish that quilt without too much pain.

I'm sorry it's been so long since you had a break from caring for your Father.

Diane, hope that baby gets out of NICU soon.

Brookside, sounds familiar, your not depressed are you. Because I'm just like that when I'm depressed.Maybe just burnt out on working. BTW sometimes I feel like my life belongs to my employer. I see my co worker s more than my family. After 40 hrs of week you get 2 whole days to see your family only to start the week over again on Monday. I know I'm lucky to have a job but I have been working since age of 16.I am now 46.When does it end? Can you tell I'm kind of burnt out also. I'm just tired of being tired. Coming home with no energy . Sometimes I don't even want to get off the couch to cook dinner. I do though it's just a struggle.

• 70charger
    edited October 2015

Brookside The new kitchen has boosted my 12 yr old granddaughter's cooking. She can't wait to make supper or do baking now. I agree with Josie, you are burning out by the sounds of it. Rest up.

Thank you for the compliments girls. it was a labor of love. Lots of hard work for sure. We did demo & everything in 4 days. We were pooped out for sure.

Red , give yourself time to heal girl!

• edwards750
    edwards750 Member Posts: 1,568
    edited October 2015

Thank you charger. Hugs help. This will be the week from hell. DH went to see his dad last night and his mother. She looks horrible. It was so hard on him to see her like that. So thin and weak. We are all worried about my FIL. Losing a soulmate like this and wondering if he will want to keep going. He lives in a beautiful retirement home but he is not a joiner. Luckily my SIL lives close to him and takes him out a lot. All my DH's sibs visit him as much as possible. We all knew this was coming soon but still painful. At least she won't b in pain anymore.

Visitation for my friend is tonight and service is tomorrow. My faith is really being tested this week but like you Redhead I'm putting my trust in the Lord.

My sister said my nephew's wedding in Chicago was a high class affair. Both families spent a small fortune on the wedding. The band alone cost 12k and the reception was $200 a person x 260 people. Unreal. Both sets of parents can afford it but an obscene amount of money for a wedding.

Thanks Josie. I can relate about burnout. I'm older than you but I was tired of the routine too. At least working at FedEx Freight offered nights and home by midnight. I have been working since I was 16 too. Next year hopefully DH is going to a 4-day work week. His firm works only half days on Friday anyway. He is stressed and frankly tired.

I know you are experiencing burnout too Brookside. We all work for the $ of course but it takes such a chunk out of your life. So much is crammed into weekends. No I haven't seen that show. I'm not disciplined enough to work out of my home.

Thanks for listening everyone. Sorry about being Debbi Downer. My dad used to say this too shall pass and I'm holding onto that.

Diane

• josie123
    edited October 2015

Diane, I'm so sorry about your friend.I ment to say this in my prior post but didn't. I was trying to address everyone. Please take this time to remember the good times you had with her friend.Your right it is a test of faith sometimes.

Fran, I didn't know you had a 12yr old too.I hope she cleans up after her cooking/baking. Mine doesn't.

• edwards750
    edited October 2015

Thanks Josie.

Just got the dreaded call. My MIL died this morning. Please pray for the family.

Diane

• 70charger
    edited October 2015

Josie the 12 yr old is my Grand Daughter, not my daughter. She likes the kitchen to look nice, so she cleans it up.

Edwards HUGE HUGS. Like you said she is no longer in pain. Hope your fil does ok, but it will be hard after so many yrs together. Horrible week for you. Remember to breath & take care of yourself.

• april485
    april485 Member Posts: 1,983
    edited October 2015

((((Diane and family)))) So very sorry about your MIL.

• josie123
    edited October 2015

Diane, I'm so sorry for your loss.

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited October 2015

Diane - so sorry for your loss (((hugs)))

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited October 2015

Diane, I'm so sorry for the loss of your MIL and your friend. Take care of yourself (hugs))

• edwards750
    edited October 2015

Thank you everyone. Although my heart is breaking I know they are in a better place.

Diane

• ohiofan
    ohiofan Member Posts: 152
    edited October 2015

Deepest sympathy, Diane.

• Redheaded1
    edited October 2015

Diane, I am so sorry for your loss.

"You will go out in Joy

and be led forth in Peace;

the mountains and hills will

burst into song before you,

and all the trees of the field

will clap their hands"

(somewhere in Isaiah)

• josie123
    edited October 2015

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited October 2015

I'm sorry Diane. It's a lot to bear.

• edwards750
    edited October 2015

That's beautiful Redhead.

Today is my MIL's service. Relatives are in town from Texas where she was born and grew up. They have been so helpful with my FIL.

My DH is going to sing How Great Thou Art at the service. He has a powerful voice. He sang at my dad's service many years ago. He was so emotional he couldn't get through the last stanza. I hope he can make it through the song today.

Thank you again everyone. I so appreciate your prayers and sympathy.

Diane

• edwards750
    edited October 2015

DH was so emotional singing. My heart hurt for him. Lots of people at funeral. All of the kids and grandchildren there. My bro and SIL came which meant a lot. DH's bosses came too and sent flowers and brought food. The slides shown at the funeral were so memorable.

Emotional week but it's over.

One of twins, James, has an upper respiratory infection. Poor baby. Jennifer, mother, took him to the doctor. DS stayed with Jackson.

Diane

• Redheaded1
    edited October 2015

Diane--sounds like a beautiful home going service to me. I have a friend whose husband has sang at each of this daughter

s weddings. I don't know how he does it. Usually not a dry eye. . Sorry to hear about the grandbaby. So scary when they are small like that. . You try to get some rest yourself, Your past month has been both emotional and physically draining. Prayers.

• josie123
    edited October 2015

Diane, sounds like very touching funeral. I bet that was so touching to hear your DH sing at his mothers funeral..

And I hope the baby gets feeling better soon.

• 70charger
    edited October 2015

Happy Thanksgiving! Big Hugs to all.

• edwards750
    edited October 2015

Thank you Redhead and Josie. I wish I could sing but even my youngest son begged me not to when he was little so I admire your friend's husband and my DH for being able to.

Little one is on the mend.

I so need to regroup so I am going to try and veg out this week as much as I can.

Diane

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited October 2015

Diane I am so sorry for your loss. I haven't checked in for awhile so this is the first I heard about it. You have been through so much these past months. Know that I am always thinking of you. Sending loving sympathy to you and your family. I was really sorry to hear about your friend. Cancer steals joy.

I can't keep up! I have to make it a habit to check in more often. Charger I absolutely love the kitchen makeover. Your hard work shines. The new cabinets are stunning and add such a depth of richness to the kitchen. Great job.

Hugs to all!

• 70charger
    edited October 2015

Edwards Glad to hear everyone made it through the service & that the little one is on the mend.

Janis. Thank you for the lovely compliments.

Busy hand trenching for gas line to the new shop This old body hurts!. Foundation is done. Everyday waiting for quotes or contractors. Can't wait to use this thing this winter.

• Redheaded1
    edited October 2015

Cubs Win!!!!!

• edwards750
    edited October 2015

Thanks Janis. Hope you are doing okay.

Heard that Redhead! Yea! Sick of the Cardinals winning!

Diane

• Redheaded1
    edited October 2015

Had my check up with the MO today. Had him do a breast exam as I have been havin a lot of painin the radiated breast. 3 months ago it was just a little pain (annoying) under the breast where the tissue comes out of the chest wall. He thought it was just from the radiation and that the breast can take two years or longer to heal. Now it is so bad thatsometimes I have to lay down and the whole breast and part of the underarm can be sore. He said he did not feel anything and suggested I see the radiation onc before my appointment in Feb. So, I talked to the nurse and I will go the Monday before thanksgiving. I've been fitted for bra's and have 3 sizes in the drawer. Fitter insists I should be a 36 and possibly even a 34 for the underneath band, but I can't wear the 38 for a full day. She thinks I might be swelling. Mo said I could go off the Arimidex for 2 weeks to see if it makes a difference. So the RO's nurse seemed to think I should do that. He feels certain my leg cramps are from the drug. Told me I could go on Tamoxifen, but again warned me about blod clots and stroke and that is my greatest fear--having a stroke and it not killing me......

Just wondering if any of you have had whole breast pain and what you did about ot. He told me it almost NEVER returns to a radiated breast but when it does it is usually at the tumor bed.

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited October 2015

redheaded....I think you should be evaluated for lymphadema. I had truncal LE, and it caused swelling in the breast and pains. You need a PT person who is versed in handling this, not just any PT can do the massage correctly. I think I was about 1 1/2 years out from rads when I had the problem. I went to PT for about 3 months but have been fine since. And the swelling stayed gone. They can also help the pain of scar tissue attaching to the chest wall which is also fairly common. Good luc