Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited September 2015

I kind of enjoy interviews, SAB. What I hate is waiting for prospective employers to make a post-interview decision all by themselves, without my active participation, especially if they ultimately decide someone else is the euphemistic "better fit."

A board I'm on just hired a new executive director. The search committee narrowed the candidates down to two frontrunners and two entire days were set aside for separate meet and greets for each of them Yes, entire days, with activities morning, lunch, afternoon, and with staff and board members invited to drop by at any and all events. I can't imagine how it must feel to have a new interviewer appear at, say, 3:30, after a whole day of one's and two's and so forth. I'd have been semiconscious. At best.

Anyway, SAB, I hope you get the job, and I hope they don't wear you out in the process.

So glad, Diane, that your brother knows, that he's so supportive, and it's not just your very strong shoulders that have to bear the angst, and the joy. Do keep your eye on the joy.

So glad to hear from you, Gigil and Cindy. Sounds as though, between the two of you, you've livened up the real estate market. Now it's rest time, especially for you, Cindy.

Josie, I was thinking of you yesterday--had a DEXA scan and asked the tech how many she did. Every half hour, all day, with a half hour for lunch. I did not ask if she did all the other things you had to do in that awful previous job, because I just assumed nobody else would be mean enough to require that! Despite extreme lack of exercise, my numbers were all up a little, thanks to fosamax.

I switched from arimidex to tamoxofen. Having a lousy time with arthritis in my hip and just rebelled. Onc said statistics for switching indicate very similar outcomes. Fine. Anything to get away from arimidex! He did say, by the way, that at about three years, the side effects tend to go away. I'm at 2 1/2 years. Not happy.

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited September 2015

Brookside, Good for you getting off the Arimidex. How long have you been on Tamoxofin now? Glad your Bone Density was better.Thanks for thinking of me. I certainly don't miss my previous job .I received a voice mail from the lady that took over for me back in March when DH and I were in KC. I never called her back. I know that was rude but she couldn't be trusted and would report back to my supervisor and They really don't deserve to know how I'm doing.

Janis, nice to hear from you. Hope your doing ok too. Yes Im much better and seem to be getting it together in my home too.But there are days I don't even have the energy to post on this website much less even make dinner or catch up around the house.But I am walking the dog almost daily which helps.

Diane I'm so happy you were able to tell your family and that they are trying to understand. What a relief for you. My co worker is going to be a grandma any time now. Her DIL is currently in labor and dilated 8cm. She is being induced at 36 weeks because of a dangerous condition she has that could cause stillbirth in the baby if she delivers any later than 36 weeks. She hasn't progressed until now and has been in labor for like 72 hours I think. I can't believe that But the mother wants to avoid a C Section if possible. But the couple don't want any visitors until after the baby is born.

• edwards750
    edwards750 Member Posts: 1,568
    edited September 2015

Thanks guys. I have news. The babies are here! One, Jackson weighs 5 lbs and James 4 1/2. They are fine but n ICU for a week. Mom is fine. Had C section. Bought Winnie the pooh books for twins. Cute. DS is overwhelmed but doing well. He was n the delivery room. Can't see the little guys until tomorrow. Reality has set in big time. They are a blessing and will be a challenge but I know God will there for us again.

I will try and post pictures as soon as I figure out how.

Diane

• brooksidevt
    edited September 2015

Congratulations, Grandma!

Love the names.

• josie123
    edited September 2015

Diane, congrats!!!

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited September 2015

Congrats Diane! Will look for pics😀

Need to read back...(((hugs))) to all

Cindy

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited September 2015

Diane, what a relief to let others in on your worries. I'm glad you found support. Twins are very special, congrats!

Brookside, It was a series of 5 interviews over 3 hours. Hard to stay fresh--some of the questions were quite similar. I left feeling pretty tired, and I can't imagine what those director candidates went through. Anyway, welcome back to Tamoxifen. I am still on it, and dreading the inevitable recommendation to switch to an AI.

Hi Janis! Hi Josie! I hope all is well with you guys. Thinking about all of you so often.

• edwards750
    edited September 2015

Thank you everyone! So happy the little ones are okay. Blessings. I like the name Jackson. DS named him. Pretty emotional time for us. We have 11 grandchildren now but these little guys are something special. Maybe it's because my son and I are close. I love them all of course. I just cancelled our hotel reservations Thurs night for the wedding in Chicago but that's k our place is here with our son. If everything is k the babies go home next week.

DH and I are going to see them today. DS stayed at the hospital last night.

On a somber note, I have to ask for prayers for a friend of a friend. Found out last night her condition has taken a turn for the worst. Her name is Paula. She is part of a group of us who get together once a month for a tea party. Hostess is English and friend of mine. Paula has battled BC for years and now it has come back. Very aggressive. She has been in the hospital for 3 weeks and has endured brutal treatments. Her son said things are not looking good. She is the most upbeat and optimistic person I have ever met. Never complains or feels sorry for herself. She is an amazing person. Please pray for her and her family.

Have a nice weekend!

Diane

• 70charger
    70charger Member Posts: 591
    edited September 2015

Congrats on the babies. Can't wait for pics. Seems like yesterday we had our twins. Time flies. Today was GD's B-day. 12 already. Talked to her on phone. It was a good day. Pre-teen spa day, hair, make-up, nails & photo shoot for her & 2 friends. All done at the hair college for only $25 each. She will remember this forever. Very happy for her.

two friends in battle with us. one had treatment last yr, went for ck up & now has to have biopsy. Second just had umx & sees onc next week. She is triple - as well. She will be battling lymphedema as they removed 28 nodes. 1 was cancerous. Too much of this disease. Take care ladies.

• josie123
    edited September 2015

imagesorry to hear that Fran ,Prayers

DD had a car accident on her way to work yesterday. Her steering locked up on her. Apparently it is a defect in Chevy Malibu. They sent her a recall notice 2 days ago

• josie123
    edited September 2015

they waked away from it without a scratchimage

• brooksidevt
    edited September 2015

Thank goodness they're OK, Josie. Really scary. The car is one thing, but I'll bet you also are a wreck!

• josie123
    edited September 2015

Yes I was really upset but happy she was ok. That kid went straight

T o work after the accident. Until she broke down and called me to come get her. And they weren't going to let her off at first. Imagine carrying those heavy trays after an accident like that. I surely wouldnt have gone to work..I wanted her to go to the ER to get checked out but she didn't want to.

• SAB
    edited September 2015

Oh Josie, I'm so glad that she's OK. that looks like a terrible accident!

• Redheaded1
    Redheaded1 Member Posts: 1,455
    edited September 2015

Diane, congrats on those two special blessings.

Josie, so glad DD is ok. Sounds like she is pretty strong like her mama......

Prayers for everyone. I am leaving in early am. for 5 days of R&R.

• april485
    april485 Member Posts: 1,983
    edited September 2015

Congrats Grandma Diane! Cannot wait to see pics of the babies!!

Josie, thank goodness she is OK! Wow, that was a bad one judging by the car.

Sab, interviewing is always stressful (at least for most folks) but I am sure you did just fine.

Hi Cindy! Great to "see" you and hope you are not too confused about where to live...LOL

Hugs to all. DH has a bad cold and it got me very nervous. I wanted him to call the doctor after all he went through this past April and May, but he said "I don't call the doctor for a cold." Then he told me to stop worrying. I can't help it...

Ok gotta run cause at work as usual! Can't wait for October when it will slow down a little bit!

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited September 2015

Josie how scary for your poor daughter, I am sure glad that she is okay.

Hi April, can't blame you for worrying about DH. I understand, mine has COPD and I am scared to death of him getting a cold. We try so hard to be very careful.

Redheaded enjoy your five days of R & R!

• josie123
    edited September 2015

Janis, Redheaded, April SAB, thanks for all the kind words and concern. DD is still sore and just feels blah. But nothing serious.

April , we always worry about our DH because we love them. Hope he's feeling better.

• edwards750
    edited September 2015

Oh Josie how scary for you and your DD. Thank God she is okay. I wouldn't have gone to work either but gotta admire her for going. My DS has a Ford Fusion. He got a recall notice a few months ago too for a steering problem. Fortunately he scheduled an appt and it was taken care of but 2 days? Good grief. Cars can be replaced.

The babies are still in ICU but are doing k. Jennifer, the mother, asked me if I wanted to come and feed and change them yesterday. Of course I wanted to but when I got to the hospital she was already n the ICU with someone. I think her mom. They won't allow you to go in w/o a parent - 1 visitor per parent. DS was asleep n her room. Totally exhausted. She told me to wake him up. Not so I went back home. Had to get back and stay with my brother's special needs child n an hour so didn't have a lot of time anyway. Son texted me when he woke up asking if I was mad he was asleep. Of course not. He was exhausted and there would b another opportunity to go.

He is home now on physical and emotional overload. He knows it has only just begun.

DD bought a lot of baby stuff for them and giving the boys her son's things too. We already have baby things from a neighbor and friend. My family is giving them gift cards. I knew my sister would be involved. I'm glad she is but she also wants to rehash how all this happened. That's pointless. Have to move on and realize God doesn't give you more than you can handle.

Thank you April and Redhead! We have 11 grandchildren now. These little guys will be extra special since they won't have their parents together. It will take a Herculean effort on the part of my son and Jennifer to give them some sense of family. I know its commonplace now but still sad.

April - we doworry about our DHs. Mine had stomach pains for a week b4 he told me. Turned out to be diverticulosis. Scary.

Have a good week everyone!

Diane

• josie123
    edited September 2015

Thanks Diane,

I'm sorry you didnt get to hold and feed the babies.. But sounds like you handled it pretty good.

Maybe next time

• josie123
    edited September 2015

Hi everyone. I wanted to let you know our Beloved member Bunkie is just recovering from a vertigo fall and is coming out of 3months of rehab. She has home health care to help her now that she's home. I'm friends with her on Facebook and she asks me to update everyone. She said she had spent the past 3 months in bed.

Sending thoughts and prayers your way Bunkie

• SAB
    edited September 2015

Bunkie!!! I hope you peek in here to get this great big hug!

• brooksidevt
    edited September 2015

Gee whiz, Bunkie. So sorry to hear that, and very happy that you are at least back home. I sure hope you are feeling better and better. As you know, I am very much aware of how absolutely miserable vertigo can be, and mine has never risen anywhere near the level of yours.

Maybe reading isn't feeling so great now--those stinky vertigo eye movements--but have you tried audio books from the library?

• edwards750
    edited September 2015

Thanks for letting us know Josie. I wondered how she was doing. So sorry that happened. I had mild vertigo years ago but nothing like she experienced. Please tell her we miss her and are praying for her.

Diane

• edwards750
    edited September 2015

Okay everyone a friend needs some prayers. Her name is Paula. Her BC is terminal. There is nothing else the doctors can do. Her family is bringing her home. No hospice. Friend who just called to tell me said right now she doesn't want visitors. I understand that. The doctors are giving her 12 weeks but they say that is generous.

She has suffered so much. OMG someone please find a cure. Too many women have lost their lives.

Diane

• lindab142
    lindab142 Member Posts: 76
    edited September 2015

Josie, sorry to hear about the accident. I better check recalls because I have a Malibu.

I've just had my lumpectomy on Fri. and am seeing my surgeon next Fri. 2 weeks later we talk about radiation. I'm a little scared to say the least. Not sure if I can work PT and I must get paid as the major wage earning person in the family.

I have COPD too.

edwards750 sorry to hear about your friend Paula.

Linda

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited September 2015
    Hi to all....only a page and a half in 11 days...I am glad I could catch up. But so much going on....
    I do not know why this seems to be posting without paragraphs...too tired to try to fix.

Diane, first, I would like to add my congratulations for the grandchildren that have been added to your family. Babies are such innocent joy!
    My heart goes out to your friend Paula. It is devastating. I am sorry for you. I will remember her in my prayers and hope for a miracle.
    You were so right not to wake your son....it must be overwhelming for him. The babies are good size. I hope all continues to go well with them. I am glad your family has responded positively.

Josie, so sorry about DD's accident. I am glad she is OK and I hope that soon she will have a safe car to drive.

Red, enjoy your vacation!

Brookside, thinking of you and hoping our paths will cross again soon.
    While my experience with the AI drug has been that it is tolerable over time, I have never had the arthritis in my thumbs and palms go away even when I switched off Arimidex. The most difficult symptom is the fuzzy brain. When I add certain prescribed drugs, it becomes difficult to function.

Cindy, how is the decision making going? I hope you are feeling strongly about your path. I was thinking of you while in CO.

I just got back from Colorado - I took two days off from work and had a 5 day trip. We stayed with friends and had a nice time. They just stop everything for us and we enjoy good food, a few meals out, a day of adventure in Creede, a mining town (I mailed back a flat-rate box of rocks). We ate veggies grown in her solar dome, enjoyed the changing aspens, hiked up to some big rocks, and listened to elk bugling from their deck. I looked at 3 very affordable homes and would love to have a house there; but our home here needs renovation.

DH is shopping for a used boat and I do not think he could be far from the coast. But retirement would be affordable out of NY.
    Coming back to NY and going straight to work from the red-eye was not easy. I missed a big meeting at work and many things were decided in my absence that were not even on the agenda. I am losing two hours of overtime pay due to a scheduling change (after ten years) that puts one of the guys in my place. I will have to take more evening hours for less pay in the spring. I will ask for extra tutoring hours...but I already work twice what these guys work. No choice....just grab what I can and move on. I am healthy right now but these extra hours are not good in the long run. I never thought much about retiring but after my trip to CO, it looks pretty good.

Charger, so sorry to hear of your friends who are dealing with BC. A dear BCO friend from one of my first threads I followed has had a recurrence and is facing BMX soon. I have met her and I know she is facing a lot this time. She also is a caretaker for her one year old grandaughter who is the center of her life.
    It seems we all continue to be affected by BC and I am grateful to have the ladies here -- knowing we can share these burdens together.

April, hang in there....hope DH is OK.
    SAB, good luck on the job. I couldn't imagine such a grueling interview. I have never had to face such a process.

(((Bunkie))) I hope soon you will be back here and that your recovery will be complete.
    For most of us, there will be a total eclipse of the moon Sunday evening depending on the time zone. I hope the weather is good! Since the moon is close and looking large ("supermoon") it should be beautiful to see.

It is 2:20 am and I need to get back on NY time!
  • edwards750
    edited September 2015

Thank you Joan. Wow you are such a busy lady! Bummer about the meeting. I took early retirement from Fedex and glad I did. It's nice to not be a part of the rat race. I've worked a long time and even worked 2 and 3 jobs. Sorry about your friend. Our biggest fear - a recurrence.

Linda - thanks Paula is such s sweet lady. Breaks my heart.

• edwards750
    edited September 2015

Radiation was not bad at all for me Linda. I had 33 treatments. I scheduled my appointments first thing n the morning. COPD will make it a bit tougher. I was impressed with my techs. They were the best. The only issue I had was a bit of burning and fatigue about halfway through. My ONC said to rest as much as possible when the fatigue hits.

Most of us went through RADS so you will get lots of useful information and advice.

Good luck.

Diane

• josie123
    edited September 2015

Diane, I'm so sorry to hear about your friend Paula. I will keep her in my prayers. It's just not fair that they can't do anything for her. I can't imagine being told that.

LindaB, yes definitely check out your car since its a Malibu. Here's to smooth recovery for you. Hope all goes well for you. As far as radiation it is a long journey but we all survived. It's nothing we would want to repeat but there are things you can do to get through it a little easier. And everybody is different. I had very little skin issues but suffered from fatigue towards the end of Rads. I remember being very thirsty and at times nauseated at the end of the week. Extra protein, lots of water and a little exercise helps. Moisturizing after Rads helps too.We are here if you need us or have questions.

Joan, I'm sorry to hear your job situation has gotten that bad you feel like you have no choice but to retire. Sounds like they're trying to push you out to me.That's a shame after 10 yrs. Pray about it and decide what's best for you. Life is to short.

I had my fellow MA at work got married yesterday. It was a beautiful wedding. We were late since I couldn't find my shoes but made it in time for the vows. The doctor's and their spouses were there also . Our entire Dept except our Ultrasound tech.

The reception was nice and she had a candy bar. That was fun and a photo booth also. The theme was the 20,s and a few women dressed as flappers and the men wore hats. We had a good time.

Tommorow is our 24th anniversary so DH and I will go out for a late lunch today.