Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• Louanne
    Louanne Member Posts: 15
    edited April 2017

Hi all! I want all you ladies to know how much you've helped me! It's three years since my surgery this month. I've read the posts when I have time for quite awhile now. I work from home, so I usually get distracted from my work. I've wanted to post so many times, but, work and life gets in my way.

I have a question on any organizations that gives support for mammograms/ultrsounds? I'm supposed to go every six months, but the last two years I'm pushing it to once a year, and it's coming up next month. My husband and I are both self-employed, our insurance premiums and deductibles skyrocketed to an exorbitant amount. We can no longer afford it. Also in 2015 I was diagnosed with Lyme disease.

I really don't know what I would have done without all of you special ladies and this list!

Thank you all so much!

Louanne

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited April 2017

Louanne,

nice to meet you. Glad we've been of some help and support. My feeling is you should contact your local American Cancer Society and see if they can direct you to some sort of financial aid or help with the mammo. Those are so important. Your local Oncology group may well have a nurse advocate who may also have some resources for you. Perhaps even a call to the mammo center will lead you to the right group. I know they have help with this out here, although I don't know the organizations that do it. Start making those calls girl, you could me pleasantly surprised. That said, it's quite probable that your mammos will start being needed only once/year soon since you're at the 3 year mark, and at least you'd feel less guilty about not doing them sooner. Good luck,

• Louanne
    edited April 2017

Thanks so much MostlySew, nice to meet you also! I have an appointment with my oncologist the first week of May. I may try his office first. I have a seroma that is why the ultrasound is added. I'll post again when I get some answers.

• edwards750
    edwards750 Member Posts: 1,568
    edited April 2017
    Welcome Louanne - this is an awesome group. They have been my lifeline from the getgo. We share life experiences not just our BC connections.

Sew had some great suggestions. I know some ladies in your shoes who don't have traditional health coverage and have reached out to places here like the Church Health Center to help with the cost of mammograms, etc.

Also maybe you could ask for help through a patient advocate. I had one assigned to me through the Baptist Women's Health Center where I was diagnosed and had my mammos done at the time. She routinely checked on me which I appreciated.

We have a BC support group meeting at church tomorrow night. There are several self-employed ladies. I'll make a point of asking them where they go for help.

Good luck.

Diane
  • MostlySew
    edited April 2017

Hi All..... Red letter day yesterday...I got released by my Oncologist..... Now I've only one "cancer" Dr. left to see, that's the "survivalist" Dr. and she's an internist type and only see her once/year. Feels good to have graduated......Hip Hip Hurrah...... oh, and I no longer have osteoporosis since I've quit taking both the Arimidex and the prednisone which messed with my bone density big time. So, double Hurrah!

HappyThumbsUpSillyHeartHug

• 70charger
    70charger Member Posts: 591
    edited April 2017

ThumbsUpCongrats Sew!!!!

welcome to the newbies, join in tell us about how things are with you.

Gigil! so glad u popped in.

I will be having my surgery on Wed April 26th. Really hope I won't need the second one. fingers crossed. Hugs to all. Fran

• edwards750
    edited April 2017

Yea Sew and hoping things go well Fran.

Diane

• 70charger
    edited April 2017

Happy Easter ladies. We are under a heavy snowfall warning. 100% snow today & tomorrow. Up to 8 inches coming, some areas 3 feet. Drive safe.

• edwards750
    edited April 2017

Ugh charger. 83 degrees where I live.

• edwards750
    edited April 2017

Pic of the swingers on our front porch!

Happy Easter everyone! Celebrating with brother and SIL tomorrow for dinner. Twins are too young to understand Easter just yet.

Please pray for sister and BIL. BIL's BP has spiked and having constant nose bleeds. Already made a trip to the ER. Cardiologist appointment April 21. They aren't making the trip here for Easter because of his health concerns. We will miss them.

Other brother just got hired by McDonald's as marketing manager. Long frustrating job search until now. Yea!

Diane

• Luvmyys
    Luvmyys Member Posts: 67
    edited April 2017
    Hello!

New to this thread. I am down to my last 4 treatments out of 35. Anyone have a horrible taste in their mouth, feels like a lump in their throat and general queasiness? I've had a few breaks in treatment due to skin redness and didn't notice a huge reduction in these symptoms. I did have chemo prior so maybe just a carry over? Although didn't have these side effects immediately following chemo. I have felt worse during radiation then I did during chemo. I am hoping this goes away once completely done.

If someone did have these problems did you have any remedies?

Thank you!!!
  • brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited April 2017

Luv, the lovely position in which we receive rads is notorious for encouraging gastric reflux, which can cause not only the symptoms you have noticed, but asthma-like wheezing as well. Lying flat with your arms over your head creates a bit of an arch in your spine, causing your stomach to tilt forward a bit. Do try a Tums or the equivalent before treatment. Of course, you'll want to grill your RO, but, speaking for myself and the info from my RO . It's the bloody position.

Big congratulations on your last four days, and on having slogged all the way through chemo. The next thing that happens is: Nothing. Victory that this nothing may be, it can still feel like a letdown, so do be prepared.

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited April 2017

Happy Easter, everyone!

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited April 2017

Hi everyone,
    I am checking in but am at work on the college network.  So just a short note.
    I am doing well.  I read back most of the posts since I was on a month ago (!).
    The babies are growing and sooo cute!
    Nice to hear from Gigil and some new friends here.
    Sew, I am also seeing on the survivorship NP.  I don't know whether to feel I've graduated or been evicted Smile
    I guess I'll only know if I get symptoms of a problem.  I am really surprised that your bone density is improving.  I am at the end of my 5 years on the AI, and I really don't want to continue.  It has taken a lot from me and I'm tired of giving.  If someone told me that I would never have BC again if I stay on it, I probably would.  But there are reurrences among people I know even with the AI.
    So....one day at a time....and ultimately, the decision is mine.
    I hope all had a happy Easter.  Mine was quiet....my DS from Chicago has moved back to NYC and I am happy to have him nearby.  I did not expect this and am a little sad for him because he wanted to move to Denver and have a less stressful lifestyle.  But it is a career move and he was unemployed.  So....he took the new job. 
    I will try to check in again soon.
    xoxo

Joan

• edwards750
    edited April 2017
    Joan - thanks for dropping by.

I agree about not taking the meds after 5 years. To be fair the decision was made for me by my Oncologist. She said it was of no value for me to continue on.

I had Stage 1b IDC Grade 1. Oncotype was 11. Tamoxifen can cause blood clots so she said why take a chance that might happen in the next 5 years. I didn't have any real issues with it but it did cause joint pain and sometimes inability to concentrate. Initially I wanted to stay on it because I felt it was a kind of insurance policy. I guess I scared myself into thinking it was the only thing preventing a recurrence. I know that's not a guarantee regardless.

Good luck with whatever you decide and congrats to your son on the new job!

Diane
  • Louanne
    edited April 2017

Thanks so much for the welcome and info Edwards750! Thanks also MostlySew! I found out yesterday there is an organization that will help with the mammogram in my area. Not sure about the ultrasound? I'll find out more on Tuesday.

Big congratulations to you MostlySew!! Was wonderful reading your great news!

Louanne

• Louanne
    edited April 2017

Thanks so much for the welcome and info Edwards750! Thanks also MostlySew! I found out yesterday there is an organization that will help with the mammogram in my area. Not sure about the ultrasound? I'll find out more on Tuesday.

Big congratulations to you MostlySew!! Was wonderful reading your great news!

Louanne

• Houston2016
    Houston2016 Member Posts: 248
    edited April 2017

Hello everyone, I was wondering is there a system of monitoring recurrence for cancer survivors?. My provider is Kelsey Seybold and after all that was said and done, I only go to see the MO every three months. It's scheduled for tomorrow but she didn't even order any blood test. I just started to have a low grade fever since Friday, no sneezing or coughing, I read that an unexplained fever can be sign of Leukemia or Lymphoma. Yet, the nurse just dismiss it and said I need to see a PCP. The problem is 99% the GP has no knowledge of chemo drugs at all. Has anyone have any unexplained fever happened to them after treatment? Thank you.

• 70charger
    edited April 2017

As soon as I finished my rads I was pawned off to my GP. I went every 6 months for mammogram for 1 yr. Then was graduated to every year. I have the same problem where my GP knows nothing about chemo side effects. Rule of thumb is that if it lasts for 2 weeks or symptoms get worse see your Dr. It is hard not to jump to conclusions after treatment. But you can drive yourself to drink if you worry about each ache/ pain or fever. ( Tequilla is my choice lol). Get better soon.

So I came down with influenza the other day. Feel horrible!! Due to this my surgery is being rescheduled. sigh

Spring is late. 2 inches of snow the other day then another 3-4 inches on the weekend. More coming down today. Changes to rain later. Robins are looking for some green to play in. Take care Fran

• 6cats
    6cats Member Posts: 199
    edited April 2017

Hi all, I just started whole breast radiation today (20 days) and i will finish two weeks before a conference that is required by my job. How long does the fatigue last after radiation is completed? I'm trying to decide if i should get a hotel close to the conference, in case I need a nap!!

Thanks in advance!!

• 70charger
    edited April 2017

Hey 6 cats, I'd get a room. Problem is taking a nap does nothing for this type of fatigue. Took me about 6 months. But everyone is different. Have fun with your conference.

• 6cats
    6cats Member Posts: 199
    edited April 2017

Thank you 70charger. Still trying to figure out how this is different from 4yrs ago when I had chemo and brachytherapy. This time I've got only rads and hormone therapy.. but keep trying to compare.

• chisandy
    chisandy Member Posts: 11,408
    edited April 2017

Definitely get the room. You don't want to fight the urge to nap. Napping may not help, but resisting napping can make your fatigue worse. At conferences, your sleep patterns are often altered, especially if you've had to travel across time zones or drive long distances and there are evening sessions. (Music conferences are the hardest—breakfast is early in the morning, there is little to no downtime during the day, and performances—including one's own--go into the wee hours. They were hard enough on me before bc, but truly a challenge now).

I had the short-protocol (16 stronger zaps over 3 wks + 1 day) external targeted rads therapy rather than brachy or whole-breast external. I didn't get radiation fatigue, but I still welcomed the opportunity to power-nap during the Mediterranean cruise we took 3 weeks after rads ended. From everyone I've encountered who's had whole-breast (which is also longer), fatigue is almost a given, and continues for at least a week or two after therapy ends.

• MostlySew
    edited April 2017

6cats...I agree, book the room. I did have severe rads burns/inflammation and fatigue. If I recall though, by the end of rads while the fatigue would still hit me hard, I found that if I just sat quietly for 10 or 15 minutes it would pass. Remember to keep your protein up 60 to 80 grams a day and also stay hydrated and exercise but not too strenuously. It will help get you through this you need to give your body the nutrients it needs to fight off the effects of the rads. I'm so sorry you're facing all this again and so soon. It must feel like double jeopardy. But stay with it, and listen to your body., and soon you'll graduate to the next phase of recovery

Houston2016. Follow up every 3 months by your MO is being watched pretty closely. I was also and it made me not worry about things as the dr saw me often enough to catch any problems. Mention the low grade fever but don't stress about it. It's probably just your body trying to get rid of the lasting effects of the radiation. Remember to keep your protein consumption up to give your body the tools to fight with. If you still have the low fever in 10 days or so, call the primary care dr, .....they do know about those. Good luc

• edwards750
    edited April 2017

Feel better charger. Snow? Ugh. It's 80 here today in Tennessee.

Houston - West Clinic where I have my mammos and used to see my MO, was supposed to start a program there for cancer survivors. To my knowledge they have yet to launch the program. I would gladly be a part of that program. I don't stress over it but I do worry about a recurrence. We all know there are no guarantees regardless of the odds.

My MO released me last August. I was 5 years out. Not continuing Tamoxifen so she saw no need for me to continue seeing her given all she did was test the effects of the drug. I don't have a GP. Currently looking for an internist who is on our BC/BS plan.

Diane

• 70charger
    edited April 2017

Surgery has been scheduled for June 21st. Such a wait.

Oh & we sold that trailer I was working on!

• Houston2016
    Houston2016 Member Posts: 248
    edited April 2017

Hello everyone, thanks for all your responses. Just went to see my RO, PS, and MO. Only the PS identified my skin infection on the incision site and called it Cellulitis. I've been having low grade fever since last weekend. He says I can go to the hospital to get IV antibiotic or take the oral antibiotics called Linezolid 600mg. I went along to the hospital because I read it is deadly and can spread quickly. But when I get there they told me estimated cost is 4000+ so I left. Now I don't know if I made the right decision especially I already went four days without antibiotic. The nurse of the PS said the skin didn't look that bad and PS said there's no fluid. They also said this may caused by radiation. How did that happen? Does anyone experience cellulitis before? How did you get them treated. Thank you..

• edwards750
    edited April 2017

Bummer and yea charger.

$4000? Good grief Houston. No I have never heard of that drug but that doesn't mean anything sinceI have never had Cellulitis. I can't imagine how people can afford that. Do you have health insurance? That's pretty steep. My DH had to take a drug before a dopamine test that cost $3000. BC/BS covered it.

I didn't have any issues post-radiation but some of the ladies on this website did. Hopefully one of them will post and provide some answers for you.

Hope you feel better.

Diane

• MostlySew
    edited April 2017

Houston, I think you must talk with your doctor. And yes, those charges sound quite high. Perhaps if he feels the antibiotic would cure this then that would be cheaper. I've always understood that cellulitis is nothing to mess with and becomes more and more painful as it progresses. Good luck..

• 70charger
    edited April 2017

2 ladies in my chemo group just had cellulitis. One was in hospital 4 days on IV. The other was on antibiotics at home. Both cleared up nicely. But it was not caused by Rads. As far as I know it is a build up of lymph fluids that stays in one place too long & kinda goes stangnant causing the infection. One had it on her forearm & was told she would be in REALLY big trouble if it passed a joint.