Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• edwards750
    edwards750 Member Posts: 1,568
    edited February 2017

Good one April! My DH drives me crazy with everything has to be just perfect. I am a bit of perfectionist but he is over the top. He never does a project w/o something going wrong. Usually minor but I cringe when he starts going off. Ends well but trying at times.

I love the observation people make about engineers. Ask them what time it is and they tell you how the clock was made! So true.

Diane

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited February 2017

ni all

So nice to have those here who keep the thread going.

It has been quiet here.

Congrats again to 4 years and good mammos. It is 5 yrs since I started AI drugs 5 years ago but I had a few breaks. I will take it until my NP appt. in spring.

Thinking about SAB and Mostly Sew in the catastrophic rains in CA. I saw on FB that SAB had driveway damage. Praying they are safe and property is holding up.

Josie I hope your DD is doing ok with her plan. Tha baby is adorable in the photo.

Brookside with all the snow then warm temps, do you still have snow on the ground? I think today my yard will be snow free.

Fran, I like your work on the travel trailer. I hope you make your profit! Do you have any update on the kidney stone?

Diane you are busy with your family I dont think I could do it again after raising my grandson through college When he was birn I had 6 and 10 year old boys; so Kyle fit right in They are all good friends today

Re: handy husbands...I do not have one! He finally sdmitted that he will hsve to find something to do in retirement because he can't fo things around the House

Lots of changes here

DS accepted the job in Manhattan and is looking fir a place just outside NYC Kyle is interviewing for a job out on Long Islsnd ( about 50 min from me)

Ryan (Berkeley CA) is looking to mive to Boulder CO I would like that

Heather DD#3 has finslized her divorce after 2-3 long years She has a boyfriend and a new ring He has a daughter and our family dynamic has changed It us hard to see my grandsughters near Boston due to visitation and the new additions to DD's life. I am willing to accept and move on with all my kids' new plans No choice, really!

Hi April and anyone new here

Hope to hear from other friends here soon 💜💚💙

• 70charger
    70charger Member Posts: 591
    edited February 2017

Joan, I saw the Urologist on Tues. All is good, no stones, come back in a yr. Have to get yearly ultrasounds. Next Tuesday I have my uterine biopsy, ugh. Not looking forward to that one at all. Doing good so far on my AI. take care ladies.

• edwards750
    edited February 2017

Good news charger.

Joan - so glad to hear from you. I have watched the news esp in California. I hope SAB and Sew are okay too. All that flooding and evacuations. Hope they check in when they have a minute.

Wow you do have a lot of changes going on in your family and extended family. We don't have a choucd when we inherit new family members. My DD was married 3 times. Trust me 0-3. It was really difficult to be civil to those guys but we managed for the sake of the children. Then there is youngest son's GFF, her otherchildren and her family. We have met most of them. Enough said. They aren't married and not sure if they ever will be. I have my own opinion about that but I don't get a vote. Time will tell.

I have never been to Colorado but would love to some day. Our friend Janice lives there. I wish she would check in.

We are doing okay. Let the games begin with BC/BS. We just mailed our appeal.

Weather is warm for now. Neighbors are running their air conditioners.

Friend's daughter had a scare. One of her breasts turned bright red. Dr admitted her to hospital. Antibiotics cleared it up thankfully. She was DX with BC a few years ago and opted not to take anything even though Dr recommended Tamoxifen. She didn't want to be thrown into menopause.

Have a good weekend everyone!

Diane

• Houston2016
    Houston2016 Member Posts: 248
    edited February 2017

Hello Everyone, I just finished six weeks of rads on January 31, 2017. I'm taking Anastrozole and things are OK until yesterday when I noticed mild swelling on the chest bone above the left breast, but a few inches below the collar bone. It looks like a small hump but the right side is normal. I'm scared of a recurrence. How can it be back so soon. Does anyone have the same problem? Thanks All..

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited February 2017

Hi Houston,

I'm not familiar with your swelling issue, but will try to give general, first hand advice anyway. First, I'd say any time something strange happens, and doesn't go away you should check in with your Doc. You might have a follow up visit with your RO, although I didn't have long term follow ups with mine and my MO took care of all things "breast" after I was done with rads. So, if you aren't being "followed" by the RO then make an appt with your MO. I expect he/she will schedule an ultra sound or perhaps just be able to tell you right off that it's just your breast reacting to all the treatment. I expect you're now using your arms much more, and probably exercising more now that you're done and I'd imaging that the swelling is related to that. I know that I got two little hard lumps in my cancer breast about 2 months after rads finished and an immediate ultra sound route is the route we took. I also had ultra sounds scheduled immediately after my mammos for the following 3 years. They only did the actual ultra sounds with my first 3 mammos but they were always scheduled and approved "just in case". Those lumps were nothing, just some errant scar tissue but he wanted to follow it. It felt comfortable to me that this was ordered because then I didn't have to worry about all this I hope this helps, I know you can't make an appointmetn over the weekend but you might want to consider making one if that swelling isn't gone by Monday.

Hi Joan and everyone..... I'm fine. The rain has been quite something here in Northern California. I'm not near the Oroville nor San Jose dams so haven't had to evacuate but I do have a creek that runs thru my property. The water has been spectacular. The family cabins on the Russian River only flooded once, and that was just the basement of one of them, so even though the river has flooded 3 times all was safe, relatively, there too. Talk about saturated ground! I haven't been able to walk out my patio door for 2 plus months because the ground around it is flooded....well, less than your ankle deep but the ground is so mushy you just sink. Fortunately I can go out the front door to get to my car. But....I'm happy to see the rain, now perhaps these water hungry trees will be able to recover. We've got overcast for the next several days and then perhaps some sun...whoopie!

I'm doing well off this AI drug. My hip pain which showed up after I quit the 9 months of high dose prednisone has now gone away. I'm quite happy about that as I can now walk up stairs using both legs instead of just one. It has taken about 3 months for that pain to abate but it has. So...keep on taking that drug gals, it will get better when you're done. Or, alternately, never get a lung infection which requires high steroid doses since that's what caused the pain, I had been fine before that. Seems like everyone is well which is good to hear.

So, since I checked in...where's Sab and Janis and Gigle and Cindy anyway?

• edwards750
    edited February 2017

Thanks for checking in Sew. Sounds like you are on the mend and free from the worst of the flooding. So glad.

I second that. All you MIAs ladiesplease let us know how you are doing. We worry about you.

Diane

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited February 2017

Hello beautiful ladies. Thank you to Fran for the poke, reminding me that I need to check in. My apologies for being away so long. As Joan knows, we are having a terrible time with our property here, due to the rains. It has also been hard to get around due to multiple road closures, and we expect that to be the case for quite a while. Work has been very busy, it is admissions "season" and we have been reading applications, and preparing for large scale events on campus. Meanwhile I have finished my writing project, and I'm working on a book proposal...that's eating any spare time I have. (Know any literary agents?)

Health-wise all is well. Clean mammogram, and the doctor was happy aside from my weight--I have fallen off the healthy food wagon, but I am struggling to climb back on it now. I have accepted that I will always have some lymphedema, cording, and soreness in the node area. On Tamoxifen for another five years, my doc is a proponent of a ten year course of drugs.

Family is good. Hubby working hard, older daughter toying with the idea of grad school and the younger about to transfer to a four year school.

I'm so happy to see that Sew has not been too badly affected by the storms, and so relieved to hear of you off the prednisone. To all, I will be trying to read these pages, and I hope for lots of good news. New ladies, you have found a wonderful, warm and caring group.

All my my best,

susan

• MostlySew
    edited February 2017

SAB, great to hear from you, sorry about having another 5 years on the tamoxifen...that's a long haul. My docs did that breast cancer index test on my tumor and I got to quit the AI. I was quite happy about that. Hopefully the tamoxifen isn't giving you too much grief. Yes..get back on the healthy eating wagon. I'll join you. The prednisone has totally taken control of my weight and it isn't a pretty thing....

Yikes, SAB, that driveway is a mess. What a job to get that fixed. Hope you've got some cars on the far side of it! I have my creek running under my drive and we have to be very diligent about making the water stay in the culverts properly at the street instead of running down the drive and undermining the thing. doing ok on that right now and we've had a few days of no rain so that helps

Speaking of checking in.......where's Brookside?

• 70charger
    edited February 2017

SAB Thanks for checking in. I'll put my big pokey stic away now. Beautiful looking driveway. Sorry it's become eroded. Take care.

Sew Glad u r on top of the water situation.

• edwards750
    edited February 2017

SAB - thanks fir checking in. Yikes your driveway! We were worried about you and Sew. Good - no more rain for now. I second that bummer on 5 more years.

Sew - what is the breast cancer index test? Is it like the Oncotype test?

My weight fluctuates too. I blamed weight gain on Tamoxifen. Haha, No excuse now since I'm not taking it anymore. I know I need to exercise more. I'm not a sedentary person at all but still need to get on the treadmill or ride my bike. No excuse with the weather either. It's warm either.

Biting the bullet and replacing the a/c and heating systems. Should have 3 companies giving estimates this week. Our systems have paid for themselves though - 25 years+.

Have a good week everyone!

Diane

• MostlySew
    edited February 2017

Hi Diane, the breast cancer index test (also called BCI) is a test performed on your tumor which can predict your chances of recurrence in years 5 thru 10, and also predicts whether taking the AI for an additional 5 years will be of benefit. It's for ER+, lymph node negative tumors. The test availability is fairly new (last year or so). Of course, you have to be willing to continue taking endocrine therapy before they will request the test. It is one of those expensive ones. Anyway, mine came back low risk for recurrence (3.7%) and low likelihood of benefit from continued therapy.. So, I got to quit

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited February 2017

Thanks for the info, Sew. I have a little over a year to go on tamoxifen and am not at all sure I'd be willing to stay on for another five. I guess that test result would have to be pretty scary for me to continue. Oh well, I have another year before I have to worry about that.

Hi, SAB. Yes, I'm here. Getting too lazy to write, but eagerly reading about everyone's life. I retired about a year ago. Technically, it was disability--I've developed sleep apnea and my clients here in this very rural area were mostly an hour or more away. I was pulling over and taking naps on a pretty regular basis. Not workable. I loved helping clients with life and disability insurance, investments, and long term financial planning, but really, really needed to ditch the travel.

I just started helping a local CPA with taxes. Absolutely love it. It's about a ten-minute drive and it's only two or three days/week. Probably more as April 15 looms. Anyway, it's just exactly what I needed right this minute.

• 70charger
    edited February 2017

Brookside, so glad u checked in, enjoy the new job.

Off to my endometrial biopsy this morn. NOT looking forward to this. Then the waiting for results. Thanks tamoxifen.

• april485
    april485 Member Posts: 1,983
    edited February 2017

Fran, you are in my thoughts.

Hi everyone! Just a quick drive by post to let you know I am still around. xoxo

• 70charger
    edited February 2017

HOLY MOTHER TRUCKER that hurt. WOWSER. Would rather have my eyelids tattooed, no kidding!! 1-2 weeks for results. Off to bed now.

• MostlySew
    edited February 2017

Fran...probably good you didn't know the pain part to begin with. It's done now.....sleep....wine....healing. Glad it's done

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited March 2017

Yep. I've had a couple of those beastly endometrial biopsies. No fun at all. Sending the total understanding kind of sympathy/empathy.

• chisandy
    chisandy Member Posts: 11,408
    edited March 2017

Fran, I can relate: the endometrial biopsy I had 20 years ago was the most painful procedure I ever underwent—and that includes the nipple injections for sentinel node tracer, impacted wisdom tooth removal with only novocaine, shots into my toes for ingrown toenail surgery-prevention, back labor, and sewing my C-section incision closed as the epidural wore off.

• edwards750
    edited March 2017

Fran - ouch. I have never had one. Sounds painful. Hope the pain was worth it and your results are good.

Good for your Brookside. Sounds like your kind of job. Daughter and SIL are CPAs. Busy time for them. DH and I are having our taxes done April 14. We have to pay again so why rush. Haha

Thanks Sew. A friend had a similar test. Unfortunately for her her score was high. 5 more years for her. Glad your's was good. Don't miss Tamoxifen one bit!

Continuing saga with BC/BS. Apparently my DH's neurologist should have sent a referral to BC for my DH's test. If she had done her due diligence we wouldn't have to appeal an OON charge. A lady with Baptist Hospital where the test was done did tell me the other day that typically when BC is convinced the test was critical they reverse the charges to in network. I hope she's is right. We should get the results in 30 days.

Second company coming today with estimate to replace a/c and heating systems. Yesterday the first company estimated $9k. Yikes! Gotta be done. Our present a/c system lasted 24 years so shouldn't complain. Still..

Severe weather and tornadoes in our neck of the woods. So far all we are getting is heavy rain. Terrified of tornadoes.

ChiSandy - You have had some painful procedures. I had back labor but none of the others you had.

Diane

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited March 2017

Hi y'all

Wow, it's Narch 😜

Fran - ouch! Prayers for results. Impressed with the flip job...

Brookside - glad you have a job close to home and nap time...scary...tax season

Joan - balancing career and kids and GKs..time for spring break and beach time

April - our hit and run...always on the go girl

SAB - yikes rain mud slid...hope all settles down and your way home is cleared up. Congrats on that book.

Diane - they are too cute...wow. Hoping insurance settles dispute soon and hubby is getting the care he needs.

Sew - cake balls and wine...our Kate would lime that and La La Land.

Josie - wishing you a Good Friday and a easy breezy weekend.

Houston - breathe! Finishing treatment allows you to catch your breath climb out of the trenches and shake off the shock of what you just been through. Hopefully you called your RO or MO and they have met with you and were able to address your concerns.

Hanging in there at pickleball league...adding golf...got me a really cute golf cart to buzz around in...and dancing.

(((Hugs)))

Cindy

• edwards750
    edited March 2017

Hi Cindy - good to hear from you. Enjoy that golf cart. I have a friend that loves golf and plays as often as she can. She is on a team.

Thanks the babies are precious. Looking forward to babysitting them tomorrow night. We will also have the 2 girls - 3 and 6. At least there are 2 of us! Haha

We are optimistic about BC/BS outcome but you never know. Make no mistake if we lose we will be making payments on this too. It's a monster bill.

New a/c and heating systems will be installed Tuesday. Finally. Costing a lot but so necessary. Can't take window units only another summer. Should take them a day or so to get it done. At least we can finance with zero interest.

DS is headed to Chattanooga today for rugby game tomorrow. DD lives there but haven't talked to her since Christmas. Hope he can at least hook up with her and the kids for a bit. She is so unpredictable

Fish regime is on. Ash Wednesday and every Friday. I like fish so not a big deal. DH and I are attending Stations of the Cross every Friday night during Lent. I love Easter. Brings back fond memories as a child.

Have a good weekend everyone!

Diane

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited March 2017

imageMaisie' first selfie

Hi everyone sorry I haven't been on lately. I've been busy babysitting and with both my DD. Last weekend we had the baby all weekend from Friday night until Monday morning and she was sick with RSV. We took her to the ER Friday night because she was wheezing so bad. They didn't keep her but it made me sleep better that night knowing she was ok. I begged my DD not to go but she couldn't seem to say no to her boyfriend. He was going to Tennessee to buy a car from a good friend. Never mind he already has two junk cars that aren't liscenced and don't run in their back yard.😡 Of course her dogs got into a dog fight before she left and we ended up with a very injured dog to take to the vet. This is the pup that was having issues with the new baby and so jealous he was leaving presents in the babies room. He was good with her but couldn't adjust. Her boyfriend just says when he here's they fought " too bad he didn't kill him him " Can't you believe him?

Then she finds a home for him and the girl wants to take him yesterday and the boyfriend threw a fit about it threatening to leave her and the baby if he got home and "his" dog is gone😡 He got over it. She was at her witts end trying to deal with these messes and care for the baby. I just wish she could get rid of the other dog . I'm sorry I didn't mean to go on and on . I wanted to address everyone.

But my phone is almost dead. Maybe tommorow

• edwards750
    edited March 2017
    Cute pic Josie. Good grief such drama for you and your DD. Her BFF is a piece of work. I bet she feels bad she didn't stay. Glad the little one is k. Scary. As for the dog he needs a different home esp since he can't adjust to the baby.

DH and I know all about dogs fighting. I loved our puppies and miss them every day but the fighting was brutal.

Wow you are the grandma! All weekend. Yikes! We kept the twins once from early Sat evening until mid morning Sun and I thought I would lose my mind. James just wouldn't relax in our house until we finally figured out just leave him in the car seat with a blanket over it and give him his bottle. He went right to sleep but not before he cried non stop for hours. We were beyond exhausted. We haven't done the long weekend yet but it's probably coming in June when she goes to her BFF's wedding in California.

They are running and talking now. Idk what they are saying except for "no." They are stripping too. They take their clothes off almost as fast as you put them on.

We babysat last night so GFF could go to a spa party at her sister's house. DS was out of town playing in rugby game. Anyway we got there at 4 and she said she would be home NLT 9 or before. 9:15 I texted her to c if she was on her way. No response. Called - no response. Finally texted DS to get sister's no and she texted a few minutes later. Lost track of time. I get that it happens but I was ticked. Isn't the first time. I think she takes advantage of us sometimes. That's over. I let her know I expect her to let me know if she is going to be late. We love being with the kids and I babysit all the time but this is just simple courtesy. My DS texted me last night thanking me for watching the kids. He always does. She not so much but better than she used to be.

Sorry I'll end my rant. Hope things can resolved with the dog and the little one feels better and you get some rest.

Diane
  • edwards750
    edited March 2017

imageimage

• edwards750
    edited March 2017

Talk about ToysRUs that's 1/10 of their toys around them. DS and GFFare planning on moving to a rental home when their lease is up in 2 months. So glad. The kids need a backyard!

Diane

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited March 2017

Diane,

Those babies are getting big and cuter by the day. Your right they need a back yard.

My daughters dog Harley is just a year old and he was the one most severely injured in the fight . He is the one who did just find a home Friday. Now she has the one dog. I kind of miss Harley but know he went to a good home and she said we can visit anytime.image

• edwards750
    edited March 2017

Thank you Josie. Harley is one cute fur baby. I am glad he has a good home. I know you miss him.

Diane

• 70charger
    edited March 2017

So I guess I get surgery now. not enough tissue in the biopsy. She figures I have a polyp. Next step will be camera, biopsy with D & C. I get put out for this one. Day surgery. I see her on the 30th to discusss. Feeling down now.

• 70charger
    edited March 2017

Just talked to my daughter, she has to have an ultrasound as she has a lump on her ovary. Anything else????