Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited March 2017

Charger, I had the camera thing (hysteroscopy). It was way, way less painful than the endometrial biopsy, as there was no scraping of the uterine wall. Dilating the cervix is never much fun, but once that was done, that was it. I was able to watch the whole procedure on a monitor with my then husband holding my hand. You can see every little blip and blood vessel in the uterine lining. The doctor was able to remove the polyp absolutely painlessly, after having a really good look around. If your doc thinks a polyp is what's causing your symptoms, do you (and he or she) think you could just have the hysteroscopy and skip the D&C and the anesthesia? Or maybe you'd just rather be out for whatever they wind up doing?

Josie, Harley is absolutely adorable and I am so very, very, very happy that he has a new home. Whew! What does the vet say about these dogs injuring others in what I guess is a "real" fight, as opposed to the usual harmless horsing around most doggies do?

Joan (and maybe others?), yes indeed. Let's get together this spring or summer, either in CT or on Long Island, maybe even MA?

• edwards750
    edwards750 Member Posts: 1,568
    edited March 2017

So sorry Charger. I can't speak to what you are going through because I have never had it done. I did have polyps which the Dr discovered from a colonoscopy. I've had another colonoscopy since then and they are gone.

Good luck. We are all thinking of you and praying all goes well.

I would love to hook up with you guys. I vote for Connecticut. Never been there and always wanted to go. I've heard it is just beautiful. If not there maybe we could all meet at a more neutral site given we are scattered everywhere.

A/C guys coming today. Monsoon yesterday so today's the day!

Diane

• PNWskier
    PNWskier Member Posts: 3
    edited March 2017

So, I have been thinking a lot about this and I know the decision will be mine eventually but I am wondering how it has gone for others. When I am done with chemo I may have the choice between a lumpectomy with radiation or mastectomy without radiation. I know there are risks and benefits for both. Like I say, I will have to make the final choice. Just wondered how it went for everyone else.

• 70charger
    70charger Member Posts: 591
    edited March 2017

PNWskier, I had lumpectomy with Rads. I know some women who went for mastectomy, it takes a lot longer to heal. Plus they have said they wish they had gone for double as it is hard to keep one foob in place. Rads are nothing compared to chemo. Being tired was the worst for me. Good luck with your decision.

JustMeJanis will try to get on & give update. She is doing well, Says HI to all. (yes I got out my pokey stick & nudged her also).

• edwards750
    edited March 2017

I had a lumpectomy with Rads too. 33 treatments. As Charger said it's a piece of cake compared to chemo. I had a bit of fatigue too and very little burning. Truly blessed.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Diane

• chisandy
    chisandy Member Posts: 11,408
    edited March 2017

I had lumpectomy with rads—the short, targeted external Canadian protocol (16 treatments, essentially all “boosts”). Sailed through it with just a little light redness, breast swelling from seroma enlargement (I even went UP a cup size) & fibrosis (thickening) over the seroma. No fatigue, no pain—not even irritation. And time (and a little PT and steroid ointment/cream) has reduced the seroma (my breast is now its original size) softened the fibrosis and totally faded away the redness. My only “souvenir” is a little bit of tanning over the scar.

• Kali44
    Kali44 Member Posts: 30
    edited March 2017

Hello everyone, I wanted to pop in to ask a question. I completed rads in Sept 2016 and find my 'tan' on my radiated side is still very much present. I am due to have recon soon and was wondering.... is my new book going to stay in this different color from, my other boob, rads or does the ps use skin from the tummy to form it as I didn't have TE or anything. It will be DIEP FLAP.

Thank you for any help.

• 70charger
    70charger Member Posts: 591
    edited March 2017

I had no reconstruction but my Rad tan has faded over the past 3 yrs. Good luck with your procedure.

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited March 2017

Fran, you should do fine with the D& C take it eat for a few days and you will be ready to go. The OBGYN I worked for did these in the office they had a anesthesia team that came in and worked with us.

I'm sorry to hear about your daughters lump on her ovary hopefully it's just a cyst. Keep us updated on how she does.

PNW skier I went for the lumpectomy and Radiation and felt like it was a good choice for me.

Kali44 my rads breast was tanned for a while after rads. The skin is always going to be different on that side and once the darker skin wore off it was super soft and a very delicate skin.

Harley update: we had to take him back and he seems to be home now. My hubby said just until we found him anouther home but I feel like he is home😉

He was peeing all over the mans house and was definitely not happy being alone while he worked all day and had some severe separation anxiety. He doesn't do that at our house. He's so good and even sleeping on the bed. He loves us and has been through so much in his 1 year of life.Our dog loves him too.

I wish someday I could meet up with some of you but travel right now is not in the budget. My sister lives in Connecticut and would love to visit her sometime as well as get together with you all

• edwards750
    edited March 2017
    I hope Harley can stay with you guys Josie. He seems to be so happy at home. Our dog has separation anxiety too. I hate leaving him sometimes even for errands. We do open the blinds in the great room and master bedroom - both rooms face the street so he can see everything that goes on in the cove. Plus we leave the tv on when we are gone.

Boozer(son named him)is so loving and affectionate. He is DS's dog but no way he could live with 4 kids in their apartment. We have a huge yard and there are dogs in the neighborhood to play with. He is the father of the 2 babies who were killed. We spoil him unmercifully. I took early retirement from FedEx so I'm home a lot. I even take him on a ride every morning down a road that has homes with a lot of horses, goats and cows in the yards. He gets so excited. Loves to ride in the car.

Pic of my fur baby below

Diane
  • edwards750
    edited March 2017

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited March 2017

Skier, I did not have chemo, so needed to make a surgical decision far more quickly than I liked. Eventually, I decided to have a lumpectomy, see how the biopsy on my tumor turned out, then determine whether rads or mastectomy (One? Two?) was the next step. Yes, insurance will cover a new decision for more surgery. It turned out that I had nice, wide, margins and that I was happier than I might have thought to still have my very own breast.

Well, I guess the one good thing about chemo is that it does provide a few months in which to make your decision and to meet with (and pump) your doctors. Please do read, and read, and read, all the surgical threads on this site to see how others have felt about their choices, and maybe look into a support group in your area for the newly diagnosed.

• edwards750
    edited March 2017

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

• josie123
    edited March 2017

• april485
    april485 Member Posts: 1,983
    edited March 2017

Maisie is a adorable!

• edwards750
    edited March 2017

She is too cute Josie. Love the outfit!

Diane

• josie123
    edited March 2017

Thanks April and Diane.

BTW Diane cute dog. He's lucky to have you and has every right to be spoiled.

I think I've convinced my husband its best for Harley to live with us. He has done very well living with us he said if we get him neutered he will probably agree to it and there is a clinic downtown that will neuter him for free since he is part pitbull

• edwards750
    edited March 2017

imageThanks Josie. We love him so much. I'm glad you are keeping Harley.

The twins each got their own beds. They are so excited. Outgrew the pack n' play.

• edwards750
    edited March 2017

Got a heads up for any of you guys who have used or are considering using care.com for babysitting help.

My DS's GFF hired a babysitter from that website. The lady's husband smacked my grandson with a back scratcher. He is okay thankfully. GFF's oldest daughter was there and told her mother. She went berserk and told them that was the last time they would be there and how dare he hit her child. The wife called her later all apologetic which means zilch. We are all enraged and my DH and son want to rearrange his face. I am so angry I can't see straight.

I checked on this company. A national news network randomly checked the criminal records of the people for hire. It's scary how many of them fell through the cracks.

I have posted everywhere I can about this incident and am amazed at the number of responses I have received from people who have heard horror stories about care.com.

I would never rely on an internet company to do their due diligence and check people out nor would I hire strangers like that to care for my children. Lesson learned for GFF. It means my friend and I will take up the slack but that's fine. They are safe with us.

I'm not letting this go. Somehow, some way that POS is going to pay for what he did one way or the other.

Diane

• april485
    april485 Member Posts: 1,983
    edited March 2017

OMG Diane! I would be so pissed off that I would likely be in jail after hitting that guy back with a baseball bat! I know that I would have gone "street" on that dude. I grew up in a tough neighborhood and it comes back to me easily when someone does something like this. I may be an educated and reasonably dignified woman now (and much older) but don't mess with babies and elderly near me. Upside the head comes to mind!

What in the world would prompt ANYONE to hit a toddler, especially one in their care that was not even related to them! I will tell EVERYONE around here what you said and tell them if they are thinking of using this service to stay away!

Thanks for sharing and for caring. Babies should be in the care of loving adults at all times and they are blessed to have YOU. I am so angry about this just reading about it. Such sweet innocent little children. Ugh!

• mothpowder
    mothpowder Member Posts: 4
    edited March 2017

glad to have it finished (week ago) but so so itchy

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited March 2017

Mothpowder...Yep, that's called healing. Good news is, that too shall pass. Congrats on being finished. It's a long road but the recovery is now about to begin in earnest.

• edwards750
    edited March 2017

Thanks April. I would have paid bail $ if DH and/or DS had rearranged his face. Idk what the address or last name is of this POS. I think GFF is afraid to give it to me. Screaming at the bastard doesn't do squat. Make no mistake I am so not done with this.

I didn't grow up in a rough neighborhood but I did grow up in a generation that believed in severe corporal punishment. I still have issues about that so I am over the top when this happens. I have confronted parents in stores and people with animals. Talk is cheap so I will never stand by and do nothing. Fortunately the pendulum has swung the other way. It so needed to.

Please do spread the word. I appreciate it. I don't want this happening to anyone else's child.

Son's GFF needs to post on their website about him and her too because she is culpable too. I'm surprised she hasn't already. She seems to avoid confrontations. I'm worried about that because they are barely 18 months so what's going to happen when they get older and they look to her as their defender. I intervened on my son's behalf more times than I can count. That's what a mother does. You are your children's protector.

You have to log in to the website to lodge a complaint so I can't do it unless she gives me her password. I'm pushing her to do that. Shouldn't have to IMO.

Pray I stay out of the slammer because I am right on the verge.

Diane

• josie123
    edited March 2017

Diane, that's horrible. Give that baby a kiss for me. You have every right to be so angry you could spit fire. That makes me angry too that someone could or would hit a child. Thank goodness her older daughter told her or it could of gone on

• edwards750
    edited March 2017

Thanks Josie. I thought the same thing. I have posted this incident everywhere I can and even managed to post it on the care.com website.

I am not stopping until something is done to this POS one way or the other.

Diane

• edwards750
    edited March 2017
    Storms are headed our way. This weather is just so weird. 80 degrees in March!

Update on continuing saga with DS and GFF. It's become a War of the Roses although not as crazy as the movie thankfully. DS is moving out but plans to move in with a friend won't work now because his friend is now the guardian of a young family member. Idk what his alternate plan is. I suggested to him last night that he could move home for a bit until he finds another roommate. Not sure if he wants to live on his own. He wants to rent a 2 bedroom house. Problem is where does that leave his GFF. I don't know what she can afford. He is going to do the right thing financially but she still has 2 other children. This is such a heartbreaking mess.

She is upset and understandably so but also vindictive. I completely get she loves my son but he just isn't in love with her. He does love all the kids and is very conflicted about leaving them.

There is no winner in this situation. We certainly are helping in any way we can. I will still babysit but I don't want to be taking care of kids for both of them which could happen. I love them but I do have a life.

Please pray for them. Not going to be easy and will be painful for all of them.

Diane
  • gigil
    gigil Member Posts: 916
    edited April 2017

Just stopping in to say hi to everyone. I read forward some and then back a little. Josie is a grandma now. Little Maisie is a bright eyed little girl. So cute. Love the St. Paddy's outfit. Diane your little twin grandsons are adorable too. Love looking at those sweet faces. I saw notes from Joan Cindy, SAB and SEW as well as several others. I was so busy last summer taking care of husband and brother in law. Each had medical procedures and I was on deck!! This fall when everything got back to normal we headed for Florida and I have been pretty much floating until now. We are due to head back to Minnesota on a little over a week. I have to get serious about my medical follow up at that time. I have been feeling pretty great, but I have to get those darned tests. Ugh! I don't look forward to getting back to reality. Hopefully you are all seeing some springtime weather. Those with new babies in your families, lucky you! Talk to you soon. Love, GiGi

• edwards750
    edited April 2017

Good to hear from you Gigil. Lucky you - Florida. Would love to be there basking in the sun.

Yes those boys are precious. Thanks. They have their own unique personalities.

DS moved home yesterday. He's staying until he can find a rental home. He wants to live in East Memphis. We live in Collierville but it's gotten so pricey plus it's more of a family township and not a place for people his age.

Idk what his X is thinking about his leaving except she believes the separation will result in absence makes the heart grow fonder. Don't see it but time will tell. DS is really conflicted emotionally because of his boys. It was a tough decision for him but DH and I think it was for the best. Hopefully he and his X can co-parent and the boys can still have both parents in their lives with an amicable relationship.

Spring weather is coming back this weekend. Hopefully no more temps in the 40s at night. Time to get busy working the flower beds. Ugh.

Have a nice weekend everyone!

Diane

• gigil
    gigil Member Posts: 916
    edited April 2017

It is never easy when those things happen and kids are involved. I hope it all works out for your son. Hopefully his X will realize how important it is to have grandparents involved in their lives. I have been lucky that way, with my son's X. Have a great weekend. Son and family are coming in for the next week. I am looking forward to some good time with them.

• edwards750
    edited April 2017

Thanks girl I appreciate it. It's going to be awkward for a bit but hopefully in time it will at least be civil. We love her girls too. I feel so bad for them because they love my son. Her oldest has yet to have a true father in her life. Her dad just pays the child support and buys gifts. She is only 6 years old. I am afraid she will blame her mother for the split. She already has issues at school. The 3 year old has a loser for a dad. Such a little sweetie who is crazy about my husband.

The kids pay the price for the parents irresponsibility. They didn't ask to be born. Now 4 innocent children are without parents in the home. It's just heartbreaking.

We plan to still be friends with the girls if their Mom is amenable. Idk what her feelings are toward us at this point. She has called me several times in the past few weeks. I took a break from babysitting. Too many things to do this week and next. I will be available to help when I can.

Have a good time with your son and family.

Diane