Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Options

Comments

• gigil
    gigil Member Posts: 909
    edited October 2011
    Options

Janis, I am praying this all turns out to be B9.  You are a courageous woman to go forward with this and not waiver.  After all you've been through, I know it would be nice to just have a break from all of the medical care.  I am glad you are taking such good care of yourself.  I admire your positive attitude and it inspires me to get busy and get my follow up care going.  I will be watching for your updates and hoping for the best news for you.

• MamaV
    MamaV Member Posts: 373
    edited October 2011
    Options

Hang in there Janis - you must be such a strong person to get this to deal with too!  Prayers for you!

• neecee
    neecee Member Posts: 125
    edited October 2011
    Options

I just returned from an appointment with my MO, as it is time to bounce me back to her care, and begin hormone therapy.  During the appointment, I found out the results of the bone density scan she had ordered.  I am osteopenic. As a result, she is putting me on Tamixifen and Fosamax instead of Arimidex.  Evidently the Arimidex is too erosive on the bones.

On the bright side, I would have probably not had a bone density scan otherwise, and would not have caught the bone density problem this early.

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited October 2011
    Options

neecee......BC brings interesting news, doesn't it?  As you said, this condition may have not been discovered until there was some serious damage.  I am so glad that they found the problem and have you on the right meds for this.  I started Arimidex last Friday.  So far so good.

MamaV...you have been through a lot yourself you know?  I think we all share many similiar experiences, but we also have our own personal issues to deal with.  For me ths thyroid thing is difficult just because I want this to be over.  You are a strong and brave young woman.  Never doubt that.

GiGiL....thank you so much for your kind words.  I feel that we are all strong, and we are all battling this ugly disease.  Still we find a place for humor, laughter...and amazing friendship here.  I look at all of you as strong brave women who fight the good fight.  Everyone here insprires me in a different way.  Some of you i feel I "know" just from reading your posts.  Not a rotten egg in the batch.  I truly have come to love and respect you all.

• Merilee
    Merilee Member Posts: 734
    edited October 2011
    Options

I bet most of you are due for your pap test. Don't forget it in the midst of all the other stuff. I had mine today. Also decided with my wellness doctor that an IV of vitamins and immune boosters would not be a bad idea. Doing that next Tuesday morning.

• Merilee
    edited October 2011
    Options

Janis

I read someplace that most people have  cancer cells in the thyroid and never know it. Some study I read said they found this when doing autopsies. It said that virtually 100% of the 75 year olds they did had them. My point is, even if they find some, it may not be a reason for great concern. They may never spread or turn into a tumor. Just thought it might help to know that.

• justmejanis
    edited October 2011
    Options

Merilee....that is really interesting.  My mom had her thyroid removed many years ago when I was young.  I believe she had large nodes and they removed her entire thyroid.  She did not have cancer and just took thyroid meds for life.  I am hoping these nodules be will benign and I can just move on!

• MamaV
    edited October 2011
    Options

Hoping the same for you too Janis.  My thyroid was 'burned out' by radioactive idione when I was 12 b/c of issues.  Been on meds ever since.  My sister takes meds too - but she takes them to shrink B9 nodes that keep popping up.  Just another stupid thing to deal with ha ha.  Why not?  We'd be so boring otherwise!

Vicky

• neecee
    edited October 2011
    Options

Merilee - made my pap appointment today.  I had to wait for the OK from the MOat today's appointment, since chemo can cause abnormal results.  It has been in the back of my mind for a while.

• justmejanis
    edited October 2011
    Options

I have to admit I am a little nervous about my upcoming surgery.  Just that long incision  near my throat is a bit unsettling for me. 

Good for you neecee getting that appointment.  Hope that all goes well fior you.

MamaVicky You are so right, we would be boring without all of our complications!

!

• MamaV
    edited October 2011
    Options

janis - when is surgery, I forget?

• Merilee
    edited October 2011
    Options

Tuesday

• pq2
    pq2 Member Posts: 66
    edited October 2011
    Options

Thanks for this thread -- I agree the other one was kind of old and ignored. I have 6 treatments of whole brain rads left and can't wait for it to be over. Skin irritation is slight compared to the rads to breast and nodes in the summer though the whole bald thing again (sigh). For anyone with bad burns that hurt like the dickens, ask for Mepilex wound dressing. I used them during breast/node rads and they are truly amazing. It is simply a wound dressing with silicone but it soothes the minute you put it on and promotes healing. 

• justmejanis
    edited October 2011
    Options

Thanks Merilee!  Yes, the 25th.  Clock is ticking.

pq2, wow, so sorry to hear of all you are going through.  I hope your last few rads go well.  Gentle hugs.

• katehudson25
    katehudson25 Member Posts: 1,939
    edited October 2011
    Options

Pq2 congratulations you only have 6 treatments left. Wishing you well. Hugs!

• neecee
    edited October 2011
    Options

pq2 - celebrating with you that the end of rads is near!

• Merilee
    edited October 2011
    Options

Still have a white blood count of 4.1

Not at all where I want it. Next Tuesday my wellness doc is giving me a vitamin infusion. I will let you all know how it goes. She also gave me some Liposomal glutathione. Gotta research that one before I take it. Any one used either of these two methods?

• justmejanis
    edited October 2011
    Options

Merilee, so sorry your blood count is still so low.  I have never had to deal with this so can't give you any advice.  I just wanted you to know I am thinking of you.  Healing hugs headed your way.

• MamaV
    edited October 2011
    Options

Merilee, my counts are always on the low side too - usually about 4.8-5.1  That's normal for me - even before BC. 

Janis - Hang in there - Tuesday will be a good day - We are all here for you no matter what!

• justmejanis
    edited October 2011
    Options

Thanks MamaV.  Tomorrow I go to the hospital for the pre op blood work, and paperwork.  Tuesday is creeping up so fast!  I am not looking forward to having my throat slit LOL.

• lrw333
    lrw333 Member Posts: 142
    edited October 2011
    Options

Merilee I have high counts. Always something. Janis thinking of you and your surgery. I hope everything goes well....

• ann329
    ann329 Member Posts: 16
    edited October 2011
    Options

Janis - I had a complete thyroidectomy in 2006.  It is not bad at all - I promise you.  I was in the hospital one night, but only because my surgery time was later in the day.  Pain is not intense and was easily controlled.  Compared to the BC journey, it was a walk in the park.  If you have any questions, ask away - I'm there for you!  (((hugs)))

I see my RO tomorrow for my three-week post rads follow up.  Feeling good, hoping it goes well.  I asked my DH to remind me that I am going there to see doctor only, NOT for treatment.  I know I'm going to get the heebie geebies when I walk through the door of the treatment center. 

Hugs to all

Ann

• justmejanis
    edited October 2011
    Options

Ann that is good to know that it went so well for you.  I have no idea why this surgery bothers me so much.  My breast surgery didn't!  Maybe it is the biopsy part I dread, yet I don't outwardly feel any negative thoughts about it.  I dunno!

• Ceeztheday
    Ceeztheday Member Posts: 246
    edited October 2011
    Options

I'm finally done, done, done! I can hardly believe it. There were times when I felt like this day would never come. Thanks to everyone for the information and inspiration! Since my RO was in the 'ignorance is bliss' school of thought, the information was especially helpful to me. All of your stories and funny tales have helped me when I was really down, and it was great to have somewhere safe to rant. Good luck to everyone with finishing treatments, upcoming surgeries, assorted challenges, and exciting new adventures! I'll be checking in just in case I can lend a hand (or heart). Hugs to everyone.

• Ceeztheday
    Ceeztheday Member Posts: 246
    edited October 2011
    Options

Ladies, a question for you, does anyone take vitamin D3. I bought some today, 5000 IU, but don't know if that is too high a dose, too low??? Any info will be appreciated.

• katehudson25
    katehudson25 Member Posts: 1,939
    edited October 2011
    Options

I am very depressed tonight. Doing the cancer thing without a signifigant other has been tough for me. I was just thinking how nice it would be if we could all meet one another. Anyone else living in the Los Angeles area?

• Merilee
    edited October 2011
    Options

Ceeztheday this is for you

Image Detail

So glad  you are done, time to celebrate life!

• lrw333
    lrw333 Member Posts: 142
    edited October 2011
    Options

CONGRADULATIONS CEEZTHEDAY!!! So glad you are though.

• ann329
    ann329 Member Posts: 16
    edited October 2011
    Options

Happy happy dance for Ceeztheday!!!!!!  Soooooo great!  Laughing

Kate, I'm sorry you've been enduring this journey alone.  Try not to lose sight of the fact that you did get through it to the other side - you did it and from what I remember of your posts, you did it with grace and a determined attitude.  (((hugs)))

Janis - I'll be thinking of you Tuesday! 

Ann

• MamaV
    edited October 2011
    Options

Congrats Ceeztheday!  You made it!  Celebrate!

Kate - so sorry for your loneliness ... I wish I was in LA.  I'm looking towards a cold winter with short, short hair this year Cry