Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Options

Comments

• Ceeztheday
    Ceeztheday Member Posts: 246
    edited October 2011
    Options

Merilee, Irw333, Ann, and MamaV..thanks so much! You sisters are the best!

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited October 2011
    Options

I am so happy when anyone graduates from radiation.  It is such a great feeling isn't it?

Ceeze you have a marvelous time on your cruise, and do NOT pack BC in your suitcase.  It can stay home while you are gone!

Had my pre op blood work drawn and I am all ready for Tuesday.  Monday the hospital will call with a time.  The nurse thinks I will get the early slot...8:00AM.  If so I need to get there by 6:30.  I am fine with that.  If all goes well I can go home that afternoon.  If they find "bad cells" in the right lobe they remove, they will remove the left lobe right away and then probably admit me for an overnight stay.  Good clells are best!

Have a wonderful Friday ladies and a calm and healing weekend.

• neecee
    neecee Member Posts: 125
    edited October 2011
    Options

Put me in the done category, too!  I finished yesterday.  Did anyone else feel kind of blue when the rads were done?  While I am glad they are over, and that I do not have to set my alarm every day to go to a treatment, I still cried a couple of tears as I got off the table.  This has been such a part of my life for the past several weeks that made me a little sad.  Plus this feels like a very sudden end after treating the BC so intensely for the past six months.

Nevertheless, I am going to celebrate this moment.

Congrats to those who have finished.  Hugs to those who are doing this alone.  I can't imagine going through all this without support.

• Ceeztheday
    edited October 2011
    Options

neecee-Congrats! I'm glad that you're going to celebrate!

I am in the Houston airport waiting for my connection to San Diego and the blues cruise! I am very happy because my armpit is healing very nicely. The silvadene and the antibiotic ointment worked wonders. Last night, I was even able to roll over and sleep on either side with no pain! Hooray. I wish that I could have ALL of you with me on this cruise. What a party we would have! Have a nice week everyone. I'll check in again when we get home. Hugs.

• katehudson25
    katehudson25 Member Posts: 1,939
    edited October 2011
    Options

Congrats Neece! Ceeztheday I hope you have a fabulous time on your cruise. Enjoy, you deserve fun, fun, and more fun!

• Ceeztheday
    edited October 2011
    Options

Thank you Kate! I hope that your back is feeling better today.

• neecee
    edited October 2011
    Options

Thanks Kate!  Ceeztheday, have a great time!

• katehudson25
    edited October 2011
    Options

Thank you ceeztheday I am going to get an x-ray Tuesday.

• Elizabeth1889
    Elizabeth1889 Member Posts: 509
    edited October 2011
    Options

Hi neecee, Congratulations on being done with rads.  We were on the TC thread together.  I know what you mean about feeling the abrupt end of  treatments, but I disliked rads so intensely that I was just glad to be done.  I did feel a bit sad when I finished chemo.  It was going from a safe place back into the great unknown.  Sometimes the great unknown brings happy events.  That is my wish for you.

• justmejanis
    edited October 2011
    Options

Big congratrulations neecee!!!!!! 

ceeze...I know you are already gone, but hoping you have the best trip ever!

• neecee
    edited October 2011
    Options

Thanks Elizabeth and Janis!

• lrw333
    lrw333 Member Posts: 142
    edited October 2011
    Options

CONGRADULATIONS Neecee!!! So glad your done. Now you can start healing...Ceeze I hope your having a wonderful trip... I am jealous. hehe  Janice hoping things go well Tuesday. Your all in my Thoughts and Prayers. Wonder who is next???

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited October 2011
    Options

Me, I'm next!  I was wondering where you guys were off to!  Finished last Thursday. Ahhh.

• Leighsa
    Leighsa Member Posts: 4
    edited October 2011
    Options

Finished last Monday. Felt very strange to not go last week. My skin already peeled and the tan is fading. The small area under the nipple is still weeping, but is decreasing in size each day. The swelling is even getting better. So, skin issues are resolving-now I just need to get my energy back! Hoping the Livestrong program I started last week will help with that.

Then there's the Tamoxifen...my MO said I could wait a week to start. Tomorrow is a week and I am so dreading taking this medication! I do not tolerate meds well at all! If there is a chance of a side effect-I'm gonna get it! It is really stressing me out. Now I know how my son feels about taking his ADHD meds-I don't want to take the Tamoxifen either. :(

• katehudson25
    edited October 2011
    Options

Leighsa, I went to my medical oncologist this week and told him I didn't want to do Tamoxifen. He said in case I change my mind I have another 6 months to decide. Six more months would be 10 months after I had my lumpectomy. It seems to me that you have more time to decide, and don't have to rush into a decision now.

• neecee
    edited October 2011
    Options

Leighsa - I'm with you - I don't want to do the Tamoxifen either!

• justmejanis
    edited October 2011
    Options

Leighsa, I dreaded starting Arimidex too.  Still, I decided just to take it and not dwell on SE's.  I am of course aware they exist, but just trying my best to ignore them.  All happy thoughts for me regarding this.  I realize that won't keep them from developing.  Just trying to stay positive and not focus on the SE's.  I know people on Tamoxifen with no SE's...it is possible.  I wish the best for you.  Of course you can always decide not to take them...it is up to you.  You have to do what you are most comfortable with.

I had a great day yesterday.  Free of fatigue and pain.  I had my old energy back and it was wonderful.  I did a lot of much needed cleaning and even some yard work.  My burns have healed, still peeling some but no longer open and weeping.  Dry, finally!  Now surgery tomorrow...I hope it is a quick recovery.  I love feeling so good again!

• neecee
    edited October 2011
    Options

Janis - praying for a successful surgery and a complete, uncomplicated recovery for you!

• Elizabeth1889
    Elizabeth1889 Member Posts: 509
    edited October 2011
    Options

Janis, wishing you all the best tomorrow.  You are in my prayers.

• lrw333
    lrw333 Member Posts: 142
    edited October 2011
    Options
    CONGRATULATIONS SAB and Leighsa!!!  I know how happy you are to be finished. I am on my 4th week of Tamoxifen. So far so good. I truly can't complain. And if it will help me keep the Beast away I am all for it.. You can always stop if you have really bad SE's. I am just taking it one day at a time and so far thrilled I don't have any. I do have hot flashes but I had them before BC. Janis Hugs and Prayers tomorrow. I hope you have a speedy recovery. With your outlook on life No Doubt you will be fine... Who is next to finish evil RADS??? Embarassed
  • MamaV
    MamaV Member Posts: 373
    edited October 2011
    Options

Congrats to all who have just finished!  Neece -it's nice to see you on this side!

For those who fear tamoxifen - I have found it to be a breeze!  I am also one that has every side effect, and I mean EVERY side effect from every med I've ever taken.  Got a free pass on this one so far (it's been almost 4 months).  There are many who take it with little or no problems.  Sorry this is huge!  I hit something and don't know how to change it!  Ha ha!  :)

• neecee
    edited October 2011
    Options

Hi MamaV!  Good to be on this side of things.  This is the first week day I have not had a doctor's appointment, treatment, or other medical procedure on the calendar in seven weeks.  I feel free!

• neecee
    edited October 2011
    Options

My avitar is a picture I took of myself today.  I am 3 month PFC.  My hair is coming in thick on top, a lot slower on the sides and back.  It is straight, straight on the sides, and a strange texture on top.  Both of my cowlicks are back, and very prominent!  The color is a light ash brown with gray.  I forgot what my real color looked like, since I have colored my hair for years!

• BobbiMarie
    BobbiMarie Member Posts: 29
    edited October 2011
    Options

Janis, prayers continue - and thoughts will definitely be with you in the morning.  Check in as soon as you are up to it. 

• tamcathtech
    tamcathtech Member Posts: 16
    edited October 2011
    Options

I am the new "DONE WITH RADIATION" girl!!!!!!!!!!! Finished today!!!!!!!!! I actually cried on my way to treatment....just seemed weird finishing I guess so glad its over though!!! Hi to all my friends from Sept 2011 RADS---we graduated!!! Looking forward to meeting new ladies here as well.

Janis, good luck with the surgery tomorrow,will pray for a speedy recovery

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited October 2011
    Options

Fantastic tamcathtech! Wait til tomorrow when you keep thinking you forgot something Wink.  

• Merilee
    Merilee Member Posts: 734
    edited October 2011
    Options

Lighting a candle for Janis this morningImage Detail

• Merilee
    Merilee Member Posts: 734
    edited October 2011
    Options

Neecee this is for you! Congrats on being done with treatment,

• justmejanis
    edited October 2011
    Options

tamthetech...for you!  Wonderful news!  Time to celebrate!

• justmejanis
    edited October 2011
    Options

Merilee, thank you for the beautiful picture!  I love it and the show of support.

neecee, it is great to see you!  Glad your hair is returning albeit differently.  You look terrific!

Thanks everyone for all the thoughts, prayers, good wishes.  I'll be leaving for the hospital in an hour and a half.  Surgery is at 8:00 my time (Mountain Time).  I hope I come home today rather than tomorrow.  That is Plan A!!