Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• katehudson25
    katehudson25 Member Posts: 1,939
    edited August 2012

That picture is My daughter Mindee and granddaughter's Maddie and Riley. Sew I could not figure out how to get rid of the extra stuff. If I don't highlight it won't paste. The only way I can highlight is by selecting all

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited August 2012

Kate,

What does it say when you right click on the image after it's open?  I can see that under edit you'd have to click on select all, but what about the right click, does it say anything?  

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited August 2012

Sab the cake looks heavenly!  I will have to bake for you Sew with two appointments on the same day!  I have some special favorites.  I make really good key lime pie, also coconut cream.  From scratch, no pudding.  Then of course there is cheesecake.  The lemon one I made was so good!  I can do any flavor of course.  Sew, a preference?  Of course it doesn't have to be pie or cheesecake.  Just let me know what you like and I'll whip it up! 

Elizabeth I can't wait to see that big smile in person!! 

Kate I'll let you know how the freezing goes Thursday.  Tomorrow is pre-op and surgeon. Yell

• MostlySew
    edited August 2012

Janis, yum yum yum....hard to choose, but I'm thinking key lime pie. Isn't that the one you ended up making two of.....one to test and then one for,the neighbor guests? So...you'd better make it this week for yourself too!

Good luck tomorrow, although I'm certain it will be anticlimactic. The surgeon will settle all your fears and we'll all cheer wildly from your pocket. We're all ready for Wednesday and Thursday too....

• katehudson25
    edited August 2012

Sew when I right click on the image a menu of stuff is there including copy select all and that is all that would pertain to this

• MostlySew
    edited August 2012

Kate, hmmmm. Is that the select all you're using? There must be some way to get rid of all this extra garbage.

• katehudson25
    edited August 2012

Sew, Yes it is the select all I am using. I agree about there must be a way to get rid of the extra stuff, but unfotunately I can't figure out how.

• justmejanis
    edited August 2012

Sew, yes, I made two pies.  Had to test!  I was not diasppointed.  Our friends loved it and I left the rest with them.  Seriously the hardest part is juicing all those teeny limes!  Key lime it is........I have been really good on my diet and I deserve a treat too.  Happy to share with everyone. 

The 'surgery school' that we attended last week really helped a lot with the fear factor.  I am more worried about a long recovery.  I'll miss my bike.  Hopefully I can still walk the boyz! 

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited August 2012

Hi all,

Kate, LOL i was wondering how I'd catch up with 5 pages of posts but I quickly realized they were mostly your photo attempts!  Congrats on finally finding a way to get those photos up!
    Another thing we can do is upload our photos to a web host like shutterfly and make an album to share here...then just post the link.  Strangely,  have had luck just copying and pasting pix right into the posting box.  But it doesn't always work.  I have a web page at work so if I upload to the web page, then I have a URL for each photo if I choose to share.

I will try to upload an image in a day or two. 
    Am up having a final snack tonight - liquid diet tomorrow only.  Grrrr trying not to think about it.
    Janis, you surely have a full calendar!  I hope your appointments go well.  Your photo is just as I pictured you - on your bike near your pretty home....am really hoping for your full recovery from all the nagging problems you've had this year.
    All the photos are so wonderful....everyone looks so healthy and natural -- love being able to put a face with a name!
    Kate - you fooled many of us - you look great in your big photo!  And your family is beautiful too.
    Love the pet friends....
    As someone mentioned, it is an act of trust to reveal ourselves at this vulnerable time - and it seems easier to remain anonymous at times.

Hugs,

Joan

Sad update - For any ladies from the August 2011 surgery group, in case you did not hear, Lisa (blondelawyer - who started that thread) is an angel - just 34 years old.  A few of the August ladies have posted on the site.

• katehudson25
    edited August 2012

Hi Joan, What do you mean by fooled many of you on the site? Regarding your sad update do you mean she passed away? OMG I hope not at 34 years old. Good luck with your colonoscopy. Give us an update and let us know that you are ok. You will be fine HUGS!

• katehudson25
    edited August 2012

Hi Joan,

What is the exact name of that thread?

• katehudson25
    edited August 2012

Hi Joan,

I just read about Lisa. OMG so very sad. She was so very young and lost her husband at such a young age too. We are blessed ladies and we need to count our blessings. Cancer is not fun but stage 1 is a blessing and I do count my blessings.

• justmejanis
    edited August 2012

Joan I am always so saddened when I hear the news of another passing.  It is heartbreaking and sure gives us time to pause.  She sounded wonderful.  We lost someone last week on another thread I participate.  She was one of the first people to greet me and welcome me with open arms and always offered cheer to everyone.  She was 49.  I so hate cancer.  I am really sorry about Lisa.  I struggle daily with the 'fairness' of this hideous disease. 

I got home awhile ago from all my pre op testing and visit with the surgeon's assistant.  They are very very thorough.  The hospital had mailed me some paperwork to fill out...basic medical history, surgeries, meds etc.  The nurse entered all the data into the computer and asked lot of questions and added more data.  We went over the meds, then she asked about tobacco (quit three years ago) then said "alcohol use"........I laughed and said no, I cannot afford liquor but if I could I would love a drink!  She liked that.  They weighed me and measured me (officially down 44 pounds since last April!) and drew four tubes of blood.  I had to pee in a cup and have my nose swabbed for MRSA.  My blood pressure was low (84/68) but she said not dangerously low.  They did and EKG and a chest x-rays and I was officially finished for now.  One of the blood tests is to type and cross match.  She said it is a two part test, and I have to come back on Monday to have more blood drawn for the second part.  Whew!  Then off to the surgeon's office.  We went over all the risks.  The reason for the overnight stay is to watch for bleeding.  She explained that they make the incision in the throat and there are so many tiny blood vessels that it is possible to miss one.  So they watch and keep checking the incision area for swelling.  Of course you have to be rushed back into surgery if you bleed.  Most other risks are pretty much rare.  I will likely have a sore throat for up to 12 weeks.  Also difficulty swallowing for awhile.  Hello Jello!  So I am all set to go unless any of my tests today come back abnormal.  Not expecting any problems.  :)

Sew I am so ready for a fun fun treat.  I was a terribly good patient today!!

• MostlySew
    edited August 2012

@/!', ! ( curse). We'd be happy to listen. Did you ask them to use the same scar line as your thyroid surgery? Just kidding! So.....dessert treats for you tonight, and thanks for checking in with us.

Course, I'm jealous about your weight loss. I had lost 10 pounds, but they messed with my thyroid again, and ... Whoops, 5 came back.... Ah well, I'm healthy, happy, exercising, and not stressing so what could be better? And yes, Sab, reading the anti-cancer diet book, although I've generally eaten this way for years. Did add green tea and prunes into the mix though.....

Have a great evening everyone.

• Elizabeth1889
    Elizabeth1889 Member Posts: 509
    edited August 2012

I knew Lisa (blonde lawyer) from the May 2011 chemo site because we both had chemo at the same time. Her passing was so sad. I just hope she and her husband are together in a world without pain.

• katehudson25
    edited August 2012

Joan the thread that announced that Lisa blonde lawyer passed away is May 2011 chemo. She died on August. 1. I did not even know this women, but I find this so heartbreaking. My God she was only 34. Her husband died one year before her diagnosis. Then she had to go through stage 4 breast cancer without him. Widowed, mastectomy, chemo, hair loss, mets and death. Sometimes God is so unfair.

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited August 2012

Kate,  the site I mentioned was August 2011 Surgery Group - the very first group of ladies I met from whom I learned everything.  All stages were represented, and all types of surgeries so it was a very intense introduction for me.  I will never forget that time of uncertainty in my life.  May we never forget what BCO has meant to each of us....and BCO = people.
    Kate, what I meant was that in your photos you look so young, that I could never have guessed your age!  Hope you understand!
    Elizabeth, Kate, thanks for the thread name.  I could not find out any information.  Yes, it is sad story...one of too many sisters.
    Janis...what a day!  I was thinking of you today and hoping you got through it all.  I think you'll pass.  You are one courageous lady...you have been through so much and yet you still have your humor and optimism.  And congrats on the "official" weight loss.  Wow....It is really inspiring to know you.
    Sew, I agree, Janis looks pretty good on that bike! I'm on the weight coaster too...I was down 29, then gained about 17 during rads, now am back down (net 22lbs). It's all relative...I am smaller but still feel so overweight....why do we do that to ourselves???
    OK OK ladies, go ahead and indulge in something gooey ... don't wait for me....I am fasting - test at 8:30 AM - I have a red velvet cupcake in the fridge calling my name....
    I am expecting nothing unusual and hope to be home mid morning. 
    I wish everyone a good night, and the best day tomorrow.
    Hugs,

Joan

• Lettiegonz
    Lettiegonz Member Posts: 5
    edited August 2012

I have been on radiation for 14 days . My scalps is turning red . Like its sunburned. Has anyone experience this . Appricate the help.

• MostlySew
    edited August 2012

Lettiegonz,

Welcome to the group.  Hmmm....a red scalp is sort of strange.  Are they radiation the clavical area on you?  that would put the rads higher up on the chest. My RO told me there's always some scatter spray from the rads, but a red scalp is pretty far away.  I think you need to tell the RO or his nurse.  I got "radiation induced" inflamation per the RO in my breast within about 3 days of starting rads.  It sort of settled down as I went along.  I turned bright red and the breast was hot to the touch.  Apparently my skin just didn't like the process.  Also...you might try looking at the ingredients in your shampoo.  Have you changed it recently?  And, are you in the sun right now?  My skin was so tender during rads that my boob would feel like it was burning and turn red even thru a turtleneck and flannel shirt over it.  I had to carry a towel in the car for when the sun came thru the windshield. So, be sure to mention it to the RO as nothing in this process is the same for everyone.  Good luck, and just think, you're already thru 2 weeks of this.  Be sure to rest, and take time to smell the roses, they're lovely right now......

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited August 2012

Janis, it's great that they are being so thorough...though it is probably a trying process for you.  I love hearing about your weight loss. Too bad you won't be able to ride your bike right away, but I bet you'll be up and taking gentle walks very quickly. 

Sew, I admit that I am a little evangelical about anticancer! Unlike you I had terrible, terrible eating habits before reading that book.  I knew better, but never changed my diet until something in the book flipped the "healthy" switch on.  I know I still have a long way to go, and I love hearing about other people's reading recommendations.  

I am always upset when one of our sisters pass, but blondlawyer really affected me, though I did not know her well. Maybe it was her age, or her initial diagnosis, or the speed with which this bitch of a disease took her. Maybe it was her kindness, her life and the unfairness of it all. 

• katehudson25
    edited August 2012

Joan of course I understand. I am on the weight coaster too. I gained 25 pounds from rads and I am down 14 with 11 pounds to go. It seems like the last few p0unds are the hardest to lose. My surgery is three weeks from today and I am hoping to drop 6 more pounds for the surgery. My downfall is not sweets it is wine and salty snacks. Good luck with your colonoscopy today. 

• SillyMama
    SillyMama Member Posts: 49
    edited August 2012

Hi, gals,

I finished rads in 2004, so I'm just back to visit... (No, not a recurrance.) Just at another crossroads in life and one of my move-forward decisions is to "volunteer" in cancer support - so I'm back here, getting to know the threads and the people.

Kate, good job figuring out how to post pictures. I think I may have a tip for you to help you copy just the picture.

*The picture you want doesn't always have to show up highlighted blue in order for the computer to know that it is what you want to copy.*

When you're online looking at the picture that you want to copy, and you right-click *directly on top* of the picture: The picture really IS selected at that point. It doesn't have to turn blue (like highlighted text) to be selected. When you right click directly on top of the picture, and you get that drop-down menu, you can select "copy" and the computer will copy just that image. (If it gives you an option to "copy picture" or "copy image" that's the best choice, because that won't bring over any of the web page code.)

Keep trying. That's how all of us learned to do this stuff.

((hugs)) to all

• katehudson25
    edited August 2012

Hi SillyMama I don't have the option of copy image. Also if I don't highlight I can't get paste

• katehudson25
    edited August 2012

Go to the Shutterfly home page.

My account | Sign out | Help
    | Cart
    Welcome joyce
    • View your recent activity, track your orders and manage your account.
    • View, organize and edit your pictures.
    • View your Share sites, shared albums and projects.
    • Visit Shutterfly's Inspiration pages to get inspired to create your own photobook!
    • Shop for personalized products to create with your pictures.

Free shipping on orders $30+,
    Promo Code: SHIP30

Close Please enter a word to search and then click
    Go.

New! We've made a photo
    book with these pictures

My Photo Book

See your book
    My Photo
    Book
    8x8 soft cover photo book
    Starting at $19.99 $14.99 for 20
    pages.

New!
    Videogram
    Share what moves you. Turn your
    pictures and clips into a video with music that tells a story or celebrates a
    special occasion.
    Share what
    moves you. What story will you tell today?

Create now
    FREE with your Premium
    Videogram Plan

Preview now
    From $3.99/Videogram

Close Window
    View Holiday Cards & Photo
    Gifts

CTA_TEXT

View and Organize

Need
    help? Contact us.

2012-08-22 (1 picture, 1 selected) New album Move to... Copy to... Delete">

My Albums > 2012-08-22 > 1 of
    Tips  | 

Prints best up to 20x30   Why?

Select: all | none

This folder
    is empty.

You may drag and drop albums from other folders
    OR
    add a new album to this folder

This album is empty.

You may drag and drop pictures
    from other albums
    OR
    upload pictures
    to this album
    You have no favorites.
    You have no pictures in your
    account.

Would you like to upload pictures?

1 of 1

Select this picture
    Prints best up to 20x30   Why?

photo (2).JPG
    photo (2).JPG 2012-07-27
    more info

Filename:
    Path:
    Filesize:
    Resolution:
    Uploaded:
    Taken:
    Modified:

1 pictures, 1 selected
    Select: all | none

Sort by: Date taken (old to new) Date taken (new to old) Upload order Upload order (reverse) Name (A-Z) Name (Z-A) Custom Date taken (old to new) Date taken (new to old) Upload order Upload order (reverse) Name (A-Z) Name (Z-A) Creation date (old to new) Creation date (new to old) Modified date (old to new) Modified date (new to old) Name (A-Z) Name (Z-A) Custom

Size:

My Pictures

New:
    folder | album Show previous

New
    Folder

Sample
    folder

My Albums
    (3)

2012-08-22

2012-08-20

2012-08-19Show next

My Videos and Projects
    View
    videograms

View
    videos

View
    projects

You can also make these memorable products with your
    pictures.
    Calendars
    Get creative with our personalized collage
    calendars.
    Photo Gifts
    Turn your photos into gifts. A favorite face on a photo
    gift makes a memorable present.

More ways to shop
    Baby

Special Offers
    Find fabulous offers on our most popular photo
    products.
    5-minute Gifts

See
    all

We've made improvements and created a better way to organize and view your
    albums and pictures. Now, keeping track of your memories is easier than
    ever!
    • Access all your pictures and projects from one page
    • Enjoy larger picture views and a full-screen slideshow
    • Arrange your pictures using drag-and-drop placement
    • Easily select pictures to create products like photo books and
      cards
    • Group your albums into folders
    • Plus much more!
    Explore our great new
    features.

Take a tour 

© 1999-2012 Shutterfly, Inc. All
    rights reserved.

8/22/12 9:04 AM
    app321

• katehudson25
    edited August 2012

I Just tried again to post a photo without all the extra stuff but it did not work.  Well anyway on this photo you can see how much I love Malibu and wine. Going to Malibu again Friday with my surgeon. I can't wait.

• schatzi14
    schatzi14 Member Posts: 906
    edited August 2012

LOL   YOU GO GIRL!!!

• SillyMama
    SillyMama Member Posts: 49
    edited August 2012

Well, hmmm, Kate. Perplexing. Your pictures are wonderful. I'm sure you want to figure this out.

When you

• double-click a picture so that it comes up big by itself, and you
    • right-click on that bigger image,
    • there is not ANY copy option on the drop-down menu?
  • katehudson25
    edited August 2012

Thank you Schatzi and Silly Mama. Silly Mama I do have a copy option but if I don't select all too I can't get paste. So I have to right click and get select all and then right click again to get copy

• Elizabeth1889
    Elizabeth1889 Member Posts: 509
    edited August 2012

Joan, Good luck today with your colonoscopy. You will have earned that cupcake this afternoon. Please let us know how you are doing.

• justmejanis
    edited August 2012

Joan good luck girl.  We all know the prep is the worst.  You won't remember the rest!  Keep us posted, please.  :)

SAB, I think you are amazing to do so much research and are able to eat so healthy.  Change is always difficult and to stick with it as you have is wonderful.  I have made a lot of changes but for now, just trying to eliminate the junk.  I eat a lot of fresh veggies and chicken.  Lots of fresh salads too.

Sew, I have lost 44 pounds but not since this year.  I was officially diagnosed with Type II diabetes and high cholesterol in April of 2011.  I made a lot of healthy changes but July I was diagnosed with cancer.  I kind of fell off the wagon for awhile.  I didn't gain, but I didn't lose for awhile.  I am so determined to be good now.  My A1C (diabetes) was 5.7 which is excellent.  Normal is 6.0.  I had very mild diabetes, my initial A1C was 7.5.  I am on medication to help lower it, but my PCP lowered my dosage a few weeks ago so that is good.  My bad cholesterol was down 18 points this time, so going in the right direction.  I did make a treat today Sew.  You know me, have to now and then.  We are going to our neighbor's for dinner tonight.  She told me to bring nothing, but I can never go empty handed.  I made some marzipan.  YUM!  I dip in in dark chocolate......it is similar to See's marzipan.  Absolutely wonderful and I will save some pieces for Chuck and I.

I hate seeing a sista pass too.  She was so young and courageous.  Life is unfair, indeed.  I struggle with this.

I went to therapy and it went well.  She doubled my Citalipram (Celexa).  I was taking 20 mg. a day so changed it to 40.  I go back to see her in two weeks.  If I am not feeling better she will switch me to Paxil.  I'll see how this goes.  :)