Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• Mini1
    Mini1 Member Posts: 1,309
    edited August 2012

I never thought I would hear myself say this but...for those of you changing diets, I highly recommend that you try going gluten-free. I had to go GF last year. At first it was hard. Gluten is in more things than you realize, so it takes some getting used to, but I feel sooo much better. The psychological cravings were the hardest part at first, but now it is second nature and I rarely have cravings. When I do let myself cheat or miss it in something, I usually feel bad enough afterwards that I don't want to eat the stuff for a long while. It is more expesive and to date I haven't found GF bread that is decent for anything but toast, but there is more and more GF foods out there. Mostly I just do fruit, veggies, and small portions of very lean, HF meat, but we have found GF pizza crust and pasta's that are good and black bean cake with fudge frosting and fresh strawberries is delish. BB brownies are good too. A much more fun way to get healthful black beans into your diet. :-)

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited August 2012

Mini1, glad you found a diet that works for you. I find that when I'm being good about not eating sweet treats (my downfall) it only takes about a week of being good and I no longer crave them at all. Amazing. Then, like an alcoholic...I fall off the wagon! Ah well.

Janis, I'm glad your session went well today. I do hope she can help you deal with all the issues in your life. And thats absolutely fabulous about your hdl/LDL and sugar blood levels. Wonderful to be able to decrease a med isn't it...

Silly Mamma, thanks for trying to help Kate with her copy problems

Kate, I've a new idea for you to try.....after you click copy with the cursor over the expanded uploaded image on Shutterfly like SIlly Mamma says, then when you are back on BCO site and you open up the tree dialog box try clicking on edit up at the top of your screen (next to file) and click paste from there. If that doesn't work, get both the shutterfly site open and BCO open at the same time (will take 2 tabs) go to shutterfly, click copy and immediately toggle back to the BCO site and click paste. I sure hope that works....

Sab, I sure wish I had a "no sweets" switch! I've pretty much got the rest of the healthy switch turned on...well, some improvement can always be useful...lol. But that switch would be heaven sent for me!

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited August 2012

Ah, Mostlysew, me too, sugar is the toughest.  I use Stevia, and allow myself some kinds of sugar free hard candy (though that has other junk in it) and found alternatives like mini fudge bars made with coconut milk to eat when the family has ice cream.  I think the problem is that they are still sweet foods, so the sugar cravings still happen. Fruit is the best alternative and I go that road when I can.

Mini, I think you are right, GF is a good idea and it's great that you are doing that.  My SIL was here and stocked the kitchen with GF products for her (allergic) kids.  I was surprised at all the options. One step at a time for me though!   

• MostlySew
    edited August 2012

The following is definitely off topic, and might start a dangerous precedent, but I thought of Janis while reading this this morning.....forgive me everyone else....

Hey Janis.....I thought about your plethora of tomatoes this morning when I read how to sun dry them. In case you don't do it yet, it's simple. line a cookie sheet with plastic wrap. Slice tomatoes crosswise, about 1/4" thick, and lay slices on the tray without any overlaps. Cover against bugs with protective screen or cheesecloth and set out in full sun. After a day or two they may be dry enough to turn. Depending upon weather you can just leave them out 24 hours/day until they are dry (about 3-4 days). Store in zip-close bag in the refrigerator to enjoy during winter. Great huh? Free and easy to boot!

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited August 2012

Sew....don't laugh.  I have never used sun dried tomatoes and not sure what to do with them.  I love the idea though, how easy!  I sure have plenty to try it.  We do end up either freezing the or making sauce and then freezing that.  I use them throughout the winter months that way.

Today I get the lesion removed from my nose.  Then a three day weekend.  Monday is the MO and one last blood draw before surgery. 

I saved you some marzipan Sew.  I know what a bad influence I am!  :)

Mini I admire you for making so many healthy dierary changes.  I know it is not easy.  I have eliminated most of the bad foods we were so used to eating.  Making healthier choices is important.  We do splurge now and then of course. 

I hope everyone has a wonderful day!  Hugs beautiful ladies!

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited August 2012

Hi all, 
    Thanks for your messages of good wishes and concern.  I did not think the prep was so awful...but I had 2 doses in one evening so it ran very late and I was desperately wanting to go to sleep....
    Good news is my test was clear.  The endoscopy showed some stomach irritation so biopsies were taken.  i do not like that "b" word so won't rest until I get results.  however, it is some sites of irritation and they are culturing for pylori which can cause ulcers.  And I am anemic....not sure why.  ok ok we all know that once we have had BC any little thing sets the mind a wandering...I just want a normal stomach and normal blood.
    Sew, your dried tomato recipe was definitely not off topic!   It's a great suggestion for end of season tomato boom!  Only problem is, between the squirrels, deer, large birds and raccoons, i can't leave any food out. i guess they could be dried in in a slow oven, but then they wouldn't be "sun-dried"...Tongue out
    SAB, Sew, I agree with you about the addiction...I did not even think about sweets or desserts before i went away....then traveling i was faced with 4 course meals and bread and butter and desserts (all included 3x/day)...I ate it all....only gained a few lbs. and lost at home but I am still on the carbs train. I know better.....going back to work will help as I am too busy to eat much and can only eat what I bring.
    Mini, I bought a GF cookbook with awesome recipes. I have chronic bloat when I eat carbs and I think I may be sensitive (not allergic). Ii want to try....I am better off without any bread and pastas, so I could do GF without missing much. 

Janis, hope your procedure went smoothly.  Am praying for peace of mind and spirit as you are facing so much.
    Hugs to all,

Joan

• justmejanis
    edited August 2012

Having that lesion removed yesterday was easy.  It hurts for just a few seconds.  They have that liquid nitrogen cannister and they just aim the nozzle right at the spot and zap it.  They wait a few seconds and zap again.  Done!  It only hurt for a few seconds.  I do have a bright red spot now but that should not last more than a week.  It is not sore at all.  Kate, I hope that makes you feel better.  Very easy and quick.  Now of course I was told I must wear sunscreen forever on my face. 

Joan, I am thrilled your test was okay.  If you indeed have that pyolori it is easily treated with antibiotics.  I am sure you are relieved the colonoscopy was clear.  Yippee!  Your deserve peace of mind too my friend!

Have a great day everyone.  We are off to garage sales soon.  I won't be going for awhile after today.  I'll be grounded for just a bit.  :)

• Cindyl
    Cindyl Member Posts: 498
    edited August 2012

Justmejanis - I hate sunscreen, so I tend to go with a hat. Like these: http://www.coolibar.com/women-s-hats.html#SUN

• Mini1
    edited August 2012

Joan - I had undiagnosed h. pylori for almost two years. Because of that my stomach got very messed up. I was eating and but not retaining any nutrients because my stomach and intestines were so inflamed. As a result I ended up malnourished and anemic. It took me a good year of a careful diet that started out with with clear liquids and worked its way to my current glute-free, packaged food-free diet. I'm finally on the mend but not before the h. pylori made it permanantly difficult for me to eat certain foods and take various medicnes and supplements. All that for something my new doc figured out in about 10 minutes and cleared up with simple antibiotics (and a few months of Prilosec until my stomach began to heal). I was a hair away from a bleeding ulcer. My old doc would always blamce stress or IBS. Glad you caught yours early.

• katehudson25
    katehudson25 Member Posts: 1,939
    edited August 2012

Janis I am glad it went well, and thank you for letting me know. Joan I am glad your colonoscopy was clear.

• SAB
    edited August 2012

Janis, I vote for this one.  It provides excellent sun coverage and the added advantage of a lovely sanck.

• SAB
    edited August 2012

Glad to hear good results Joan!  

• MostlySew
    edited August 2012

Sab, thanks for the laugh. I will be ordering one soon.......

Joan,,, Horrah for having good results! Here's to 10 more years before having the test again. I agree, btw, the test isn't bad at all and I had the half-lite drink, which also isn't bad. What advances will there be in 10 years to make it even easier I wonder?

Mini1, I'm sure glad you changed doctors and he found the problem so quickly. Sounds like this one is a keeper.....

• justmejanis
    edited August 2012

SAB......what a perfect hat!  Love, love love it.  Can you find me a cheesecake covered one?  Hehehehe.  Thanks, I really loved it!  :)

• MostlySew
    edited August 2012

Man, Janis, don't give Sab a challenge like that.....she'll be able to find one I'm sure.. My but you girls are all silly......

• SAB
    edited August 2012
  • justmejanis
    edited August 2012

SAB...this works too!! She really is stylin with that cake.......:)

• joan811
    edited August 2012
    Oh my gosh, I am laughing out loud!  and I needed that.  Keep those hats coming....
    Cindy, I've shopped at coolbar and I got some big pretty hats at sungrubbies too.  great styles.
    Thanks for the cheers for my test - and thanks mini for the information about h. pylori.  I hope I do not have it, but I am glad to know that if I do it is quite treatable.  I have not had a chance to look it up.  I am mildly anemic and have been before; but along with the stomach irritation, I guess it is cause to investigate.
    Meanwhile, my lip is horribly swollen and maybe infected from some damage during my endoscopy where the disk was in my mouth.  And I have a huge purple bruise that is getting worse on my arm where the blood pressure cuff was probably misplaced.  I can't imagine what they did to me while I was asleep.  I am so glad that I remembered to tell them not to use my BC arm! 
    Janis, sooo glad your procedure was quick.  I had some liquid nitrogen treatment on my nose and no pain; but the skin is a little peely at times.  but a dab of makeup smooths it out.  I hope you got some great bargains at the yard sales. 
    OK - here's why I needed those smiles so much tonight....it is late and I cannot sleep....
    my oldest son - my joy, my soulmate - has accepted a job in Chicago. He is here this week end, out from New York, and it is so wonderful to have him here. He has been unemployed off and on for over 2 years. He had lost everything when he lost his job....his girlfriend, his apartment, his posessions....his confidence. This job is not perfect, and I think he is second-guessing the move. He has one friend there and a first cousin. But the small company expects him to work long hours for little pay...and am worried that he will not have time to socialize and meet friends. It is a 3 month trial before they take him on the profit sharing deal.
    One day at a time....I should not be negative....and it is not about me. But I can't bear the thought of him gone. I hope he will be home for Tgiving and Christmas.  He is the one person in my life who always makes me feel better about everything. Even when times are the worst. 
    Thanks for listening....I know nothing about Chicago except it is flat and can get cold and snowy. Is it a good place for singles?
    Janis, this is the son that I told you about a long time ago (it seems) and am still worried about him.
    Hugs for all....enjoy the last weeks of summer....they are always special for me.
    Joan
  • SusannahW
    SusannahW Member Posts: 375
    edited August 2012

Joan, I feel your pain about your dear son's moving. My daughter has been out of work for a while, and it is verynpainful, hard choices to be made.

Btw, I live in Southampton. Where did you have your endoscopy done?

Susannah

• justmejanis
    edited August 2012

Joan, I know how difficult it is to see a child move far away.  Both my sons went to school in different states, so they left the nest by 19.  I really hope your son finds his footing with this new job.  One day at a time.  He is off on a new adventure!

I cannot believe you have both a 'fat lip' and a bruised arm!  I am really sorry Joan.  It does make us wonder what happens as we slumber.  How scary.  Wishing you quick healing, and no further trauma!  :)

SAB...now you have really started something with the hats.  What is next?  You know we will be checking! 

• Cindyl
    Cindyl Member Posts: 498
    edited August 2012

Joan sorry that your son has been going through a bad time, hope this job is the great new start he needs.  I think Chicago is a great place.  The weather could be better, but there are lots of great places to eat, fun things to do. You should plan a visit after he gets settled.

• MostlySew
    edited August 2012

Hi Joan,

wow, I understand your concern for you son's well being, but you know what?  I think this might be just great for him.  He's found a job.  He has to work his butt off.  He will feel he's doing something for himself.  He won't be surrounded by people who know of his "failure" as he probably sees it eventhough none of us do.  And he's going to be in a great city even though it is windy.  My cousin's daughter lives there and won't leave for anything.  She was like your son and moved there from a New York upbringing with no friends and no knowledge of the city and has now been there 10 years.  so.....I'm thinking the best for him.  And while I'm at it, can you and he both get skype?  That way you can have "face to face" conversations and he can make you laugh and you can see that he hasn't wasted away to nothingness (not eating) and that he looks healthy and happy albeit tired.  Oh, btw, kids can work those really long hours and thrive on them.  You and I no longer can, but they sure can.  I still remember the days of doing it!  that's my lecture for the day, and I'm sticking to it!

Geeze, they surely did manhandle you during that procedure.  No wonder you were anemic...all that brusing!

• Mini1
    edited August 2012

Chicago is a great place for a young man (or woman). Cold and snowy yes, but great sports, art, shoppng, sightseeing opportunities, Navy Pier, restaurants, theaters, etc. I have friends that have recently graduated sons that moved there to become engineers and they love it. The traffic and commutes can be crazy, but that's any big city and they have commuter trains for those that live out and travel in. I could think of much worse places to live, that's for sure.

• katehudson25
    edited August 2012

I agree with you about Chicago Mini. Chicago is my hometown. My whole family lives in suburbs there. I love Chicago!

• katehudson25
    edited August 2012

Joan sorry you are bruised. Chicago is one of the best places in the country for singles. As I mentioned in my previous post I am from Chicago. My son did not get mattied till he was 36 and enjoyed a fabulous single life.

• MostlySew
    edited August 2012

Joan....this one's for you...

• Elizabeth1889
    Elizabeth1889 Member Posts: 509
    edited August 2012

Joan, I know it is painful to have your son move away from home. I wish both of you well with the adjustment. It is usually more difficult on you, the person left behind, than the one who is doing the moving. For what it is worth, I have a cousin in her twenties who lives and works in Chicago and she absolutely loves it. She grew up in warm weather climates and she does not mind the cold weather. She said she would never want to live anywhere else.

• katehudson25
    edited August 2012

I went to see my surgeon and friend yesterday. I am getting scared about my surgery on the 12th. I thought I would be able to walk around in the hospital the first night, and she said I would be hooked up to an IV and a catheter. On the plus side after my appointment we went to malibu for happy hour, and had a great time as always. She bought me a pashmina  as a gift from her trip to Bali. I am so blessed to have her as a friend.

• joan811
    edited August 2012

I am so glad I logged in right before I go to sleep....everyone here made me feel so much better -- I am starting to get used to the idea of my son having a new start in Chicago.  His new boss was on Shark Tank awhile back and got a huge deal...now he has this new business.  So I know it could be a really good thing.

Thanks for the kudos for Chicago!  I already checked out going there using my air miles, and I already checked out getting him here for Christmas. 
    Susannah, so happy to hear you are so close by!  That's awesome!  I had my tests in Setauket at LI Digestive something or other.  Will PM soon.

Thanks, Susannah, Janis, Cindy,  Sew, Elizabeth, "nearby" Mini and "native" Kate!  I will sleep better tonight because of you.

Mini, funny you should mention the traffic....I had decided to give him my 4WD truck if he wants it....maybe he won't!

Nite all...and I hope to find that everyone is doing well tomorrow.  Janis, hang in there...Kate, you too....waiting is the worst part.

Joan

• joan811
    edited August 2012
    It is a perfectly beautiful day on Long Island....I am outside for the first time....had a tough day with family members...but now DS is here so I must be happy!
    The sweet little birds are coming to the feeder even though I'm sitting right nearby.   
    So....where is everyone?  Are sundays always this slow?