Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Any October 2011 Surgeries out there want to wait together?

Options
gamergirl
gamergirl Member Posts: 53

Here are the October surgery dates.  I'm so glad we can support one another through this!

Survivor11 - Oct 3 -  exchange/port removal/ovary 

Trinity - Oct 3 - BMX with TE's

Rockysg - Oct 3 - BMX and recon

Gamergirl - Oct 4 - BMX with Lat Flap 

MargieC - Oct 4 - BMX with recon 

Stephanie33 - Oct 4 - BMX with recon and hysterectomy

DanaDane - Oct 4 - BMX

Judy67 - Oct 4 - BMX with recon

mauimom - Oct 4 - 

SLOGeek02 - Oct 4 - BMX with TE

TracieM - Oct 5 - DIEP

AnnAlive - Oct 6 - BMX with TE

Kellyconboy - Oct 7 - BMX with ooph

Sherylh72 - Oct 7 - BMX with TE 

clc - Oct 7 - UMX with SNB 

Jesslove29 - Oct 7 - UMX with TE

Nell2109 - Oct 7 - BMX with recon

Kelleyod - Oct 10 - Mastectomy 

slgarcia05 - Oct 10 - BMX with SNB

GrandmaV - Oct 11 - BMX

matahead7 - Oct 11 - BMX with TE

Maria_Malta - Oct 12 - BMX

ah2bthin - Oct 12 - Mx and SNB

Kcobb - Oct 13 -  UMX and double DIEP

iLUV2knit - Oct 13 - BMX with recon

kim137 - Oct 13 - BMX with TE

LisaWade - Oct 17 - BMX

kks_rd - Oct 19 - Lumpectomy with SNB

Texasrose - Oct 14 - BMX with TE

Mardibra - Oct 21 - Lumpectomy with SNB

Dukes_up - Oct 24 - BMX with TE

RK85 - Oct 25 - BMX with fat graft recon 

9911 - Oct 25 - BMX with DIEP or tram

Rachelvk - Oct 26 - BMX with DIEP or lat flap

eema - Oct 26 - ooph/hyst

Ginger48 - Oct 27 - Exchange

cookiemonster - oct 27 - Lumpectomy 

deniseday - Oct 28 - BMX with recon

Justme1 - soon to be scheduled

Solange49 - soon to be scheduled - BMX with maybe recon

Sanbar8771 - soon to be scheduled - Exchange  

Gail64 - Mid Oct - Lat Flap

Grandmarose - UMX

Feel free to let me know changes and such, and if you would like to be added! 

Comments

• Dukes_Up
    Dukes_Up Member Posts: 112
    edited September 2011
    Options

Hi Gamergirl~

I'm right here waiting with you.  My surgery (BMX with TEs) has been scheduled for Oct 24th (a month later than I had originally thought.)   While mine is still considered a prophylactic surgery as I haven't been formally diagnosed, my anxiety is unbelievably intense. 

Yep, September is definitely the longest month ever!!!

• annalive
    annalive Member Posts: 286
    edited September 2011
    Options

Gamegirl -- thanks for starting this. I'm afraid Sept will speed by before I feel quite ready for surgery!

AJ -- what has brought you to prophylatic surgery? Let's support each other to hopefully and prayerfully Innocent make our anxiety less intense.

I will have my final chemo next Mon Sept 12, and then continue on Herceptin for a year. Meanwhile, I am in waiting and prep for BMX with node dissection on left, tentatively Oct 6. I want immediate TEs, but "the team" is considering whether it is advisable, due to:

1. radiation planned after surgery
    2. skin involvement possibly still positive
    3. node positive
    4. overall aggressive tumor

So, I'm also in waiting on the "flat vs filled" decision! 

• gamergirl
    edited September 2011
    Options

Ah, it's so nice to "see" you ladies!  I have certain "missions" I am trying to do each week, so at least I feel like I'm doing something other then waiting.  This week my mission is to find oversized pajamas that zipper or button up the front.  Having all those drains just sounds so difficult.  

AJ -- I considered the prophylatic BMX when I first found out I was BRCA2+.  I guess by not doing that I bought myself 3 more years with natural breasts.  I don't know, sometimes I think I should have had them taken off then.  The stress from the Mammo's each year since has been so intense.  Hindsight is 20/20 though.

Ann - sounds like you have had a tough few months just to GET to surgery.  I hope you are able to get your TE's! I worry they will find cancer in my SNB, because if they do they will cancel my Lat Flap and I'll come home flat.  I told my husband that is the FIRST thing he has to say to me when I wake up from surgery.  Foobs or no Foobs.

Do y'all have family in town to help you through this?   

• annalive
    edited September 2011
    Options

I called the plastic surgeon's office yesterday and found out he had discussed my case with my BS and concluded he will place TEs during the BMX. Smile  He plans to do a few fills before rads start.

Gamegirl -- I found some great button-down pajamas at Kohl's. They are Chaps brand, a soft knit with blue & white pattern. I'm thinking of ordering some of those pink pockets others have mentioned for containing the drains. I'll have to find the posts about them again.

Any more October ladies out there?

• Dukes_Up
    Dukes_Up Member Posts: 112
    edited September 2011
    Options

Good Afternoon Ladies!

Ann~ So happy to hear that TE's will be a GO!  Excellent news.  Also glad to know that you'll be having your last chemo next Monday.  How often will you be receiving the Herceptin? 

I decided to move forward with the PBMX after my stereotactic bx was a huge fail (breasts are too small.)  Excisional biopsies were my only option and they would have left me butchered.  My MRI also revealed "areas of concern" which were not found on followup ultrasound. I just pray that my pathology will be clean.  I'm a bit worried that no nodes will be sampled during surgery.   If something is detected, I assume they will have to go back in and do a node dissection?  I'd rather just do it in the first place but that doesn't appear to be an option.  

Gamergirl~ Oh how I hear you re: hindsight being 20/20!  I can certainly relate to the stress you felt with your every 6 month followups.  I hate to count the number of mammos I've had since I first started :(   

Did you opt for ovary removal when you tested BRCA+?  I haven't done the genetic testing as my Mom was over 60 at time of diagnosis.  I would still like to test though....  

• gamergirl
    edited September 2011
    Options

I have not yet chosen to have the ovaries out.  My family has an extensive history of breast cancer, male and female.  But never a case of ovarian or testicular.  So I am holding off on that for a bit.  I'm 39 and just not ready for menopause yet.  I actually don't get periods now, I had an endometrial ablation cause of hemmorraging.  And right now I'm so sad about losing my breasts, I'm holding on to my ovaries like they are solid gold.  I do get ultrasounds on them every year, as well as the CA125 test.  Not great for detection, but better then nothing.

But my ob/gyn did put me on notice that she is gunning for them next year.  I suppose their days are numbered.  I did ask the nurse if I could write "goodbye cruel world" on my breasts for the surgeons to see after they put me under, but she said no.  Apparently after I wash with the hibiclens soap, I am not to put anything on them.  Sometimes the medical profession has no sense of humor :-)

• annalive
    edited September 2011
    Options

AJ -- my Herceptin will continue weekly after chemo, and ONC says it will eventually go to every 3 weeks, but I don't know when. Maybe after surgery & rads. I think you're guessing right that if your pathology shows something they might go back in for a node dissection.

Gamegirl -- Sorry to hear about your ovaries dilemma! I'm past menopause and ER-/PR- so my ovaries were never mentioned even though I noted in my history that my aunt died of ovarian ca. BRCA testing hasn't come up for me -- is that because of no family history of bc?

LOL about the parting breast message. Yes, focus on smooth recovery from your BMX & lat flap; worry about ovaries later. So much to think about at age 39. Have children at home?

• MargieC
    MargieC Member Posts: 302
    edited September 2011
    Options

Hi Ladies

I would like to join your group.  I created the Sept surgery group with the thought I was having surgery last week of Sept, but due to getting BS and PS at the same time my surgery is going to be Oct 4. 

AnnAlive--  I am like you I had chemo first.  My last session was Aug 29 --  yea...  I go in for Herceptin every 3 weeks from now till May 2012.   I orderd the pick pockets.  here is the website  http://www.pink-pockets.com/home

I am having a BMX with immediate reconstruction.  During surgery they will do a sentinel node dissection.   At the moment my nodes look clean, but until we get the path report back you can not be sure.  We are keeping our fingers cross that they are clean and I do not to have radiation.

I agree with you all Sept is a long month :)   I am trying to keep busy with working and organizing my house.  Plus we have something fun planned to one day every weekend between now and Oct 4.  I found through chemo staying busy (when you feel up to it) is the best way to not get depressed.

Hope you all have a great weekend...   Margie

• annalive
    edited September 2011
    Options

Margie -- I wondered if you'd come over, and glad you did. I have been following the Aug & Sept surgery threads for a couple of weeks to get a preview, and saw there are others scheduled or rescheduled into October. Thanks for the pink pockets link. I just looked there and notice they are disposable, good only as long as they keep sticking through being washed. I think I'll try them out. So glad to wrap up chemo next week -- I have had increasing fatigue and shoulder pain. Are you feeling better almost 2 weeks past it?

Gamergirl -- if you are ready to start a roster of our names and surgery dates, it's you as the original poster of the thead who can edit and update your original post. So far it looks like we have Oct 4, 4, 6, 24. Did you want to do this or is this a shorter term Ladies in Waiting for October room?  Wink Hey, I just noticed you are gamergirl, not gamegirl as I wrote before. Oops, sorry.

• MargieC
    edited September 2011
    Options
    AnnAlive  --  I am getting back to normal after chemo.  I still get a little tired but that is about it.  The taste buds are coming back which is good.  Now if only my hair would start growing Undecided
  • moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,958
    edited September 2011
    Options

Hi Ladies,

Popping in here to share some information from the main Breastcancer.org site that you might find useful as you wait for October. Hope this helps!

--The Mods

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,958
    edited September 2011
    Options
  • justme1
    justme1 Member Posts: 7
    edited September 2011
    Options

I will be with yall too. I go sept 23 rd for a ultra sound -mamgram and mri .When my surgen gets the results we will schedule surgery .The closer it gets the more afraid i am. I already had 4 rounds of a/c then 4 of 6 rounds of taxol so i am pretty much drained from that already.

• solange49
    solange49 Member Posts: 19
    edited September 2011
    Options

Hi Ladies, add me in as well. :) Not sure the exact date in Oct yet. Hopefully within the first couple of weeks.

Ann, my case is similar to yours. I have my last chemo on the 19th. Yea!! I then have to wait about 10 days & have another PET scan performed. I'll meet with my surgeon on the same day as I get my PET results. I'm going to have a BMX but I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to have immediate reconstruction due to my need for radiation afterwards, large tumor, node involvement, etc. My first PET before chemo also showed a place on my chest wall. I'm hoping for a good PET and I'm really wanting immediate reconstruction. I'm going to be very disappointed if I have to wait. :(. That's great that you & the other ladies will be able to! Please be hoping for me as well. :).

Diana

• gamergirl
    edited September 2011
    Options

Welcome Margie and Justme and Solange.  I feel funny saying "welcome aboard" cause none of us wants to be on this ship.  But I am glad we can all go through this together!  

Ann - I'll edit my original post to start a roster so we can cheer each other on as our dates happen. Great idea!

• gamergirl
    edited September 2011
    Options

Ann - I do have one daughter at home.  She is 5 and just started kindergarten.  I also have an 18 year old son, but he has his own apartment.  My family is just a constant joy. 

Margie - What kind of recon are you leaning towards?  I'm doing a lat flap.  I am REALLY not looking forward to having all those drains hanging everywhere, but I REALLY REALLY don't want to be flat when I come home.  Alot of women do it, and alot prefer staying that way.  I guess I'm just not there.

Justme1 - I'll keep a good thought for you on the 23rd.  You've been through so much already!  Hopefully surgery will be the last of it.

Diana - Fingers crossed you can have an immediate recon!  I know there isn't a good way to say this, but from your picture... darn girl, I can't believe you have to give those up.  I'd want them replaced ASAP too.  Hopefully your PET at the end of the month is all good news. 

• solange49
    edited September 2011
    Options

Gamergirl- Hey thanks for the warm welcome. That's hilarious! Your post made me laugh and put a smile on my face which was well needed. :) Actually whenever I'm able to do reconstruction, I'll opt for a little smaller than I am now. I've always wanted to be able to wear a sundress or top with spaghetti straps but being a 34 DDD ...I can't get away with it. Guess we're never satisfied with what we have. Lol. Yes,the drains are something I'm not looking forward to as well.

Diana

• annalive
    edited September 2011
    Options

Gamergirl -- Thanks for starting the roster. Ready for the countdown.

Justme & Diana --Welcome. I see you both are getting various scans before surgery/reconstruction. I'm a little nervous that none of my docs are doing that, and I did ask about it.

Diana, I'm praying for a good PET scan for you -- no spot on the chest wall! I hope you can get immediate recon. I was told earlier that they wouldn't do reconstruction because of the radiation, but they changed their minds because some are successful, including a friend of mine.

My ONC said only 30% with my similar diagnosis achieve complete pathological response from chemo. With chemo to be finished on Monday, I don't think I reached it, with some skin involvement still evident (although I don't know if it's still positive) and the largest lymph node is still palpable. The tumor has shrunk. But without any scans, how do I know if anything else is going on that would postpone TEs? I hope I get through this with TEs intact after radiation and no metastasis discovered afterwards.

• ah2bthin
    ah2bthin Member Posts: 22
    edited September 2011
    Options

May I join you? I don't have a date yet but will have my last chemo on Thursday and the get my date the following week. I am pretty stressed as I am a surgery virgin. I thought I had a high tolerance for pain until I had my port placed...I guess it's easy to deal with pIn if you've never really experienced it:) can anyone offer stats on Bmx? My onc says there is no reason for if BRCA neg and my BS doesn't prefer bmx. Thanks for any help and I'm glad I found you all!

• rachelvk
    rachelvk Member Posts: 564
    edited September 2011
    Options

Hi everyone. Like Marjie, I'm moving over from the Sept group. Wish it was sooner, but with my 2nd/3rd opinions, it sounds like BS/PS schedules won't coincide for another 4 weeks. Scares the heck out of me, but just taking one day at a time. Going for BMX, trying to decide between DIEP and Lat flap. I'll let you know when I wind up scheduling for. Wishing everyone the best as we get closer to October.

• solange49
    edited September 2011
    Options

Ann-thank you so much for the kind thoughts and prayers. I'm wishing the same for you. :). That's great that you can go ahead with the recon. I know you're concerned about them not doing any scans prior to surgery. Has your ONC given you a reason for that? You have your last chemo tomorrow....yea! That's a major accomplishment. Best wishes for an easy one tomorrow. :)

Ah2bthin- welcome!!! :) yes, we'd love to have you join us. I don't have a date yet either. I can understand your being nervous about the surgery. Any surgery is stressful. Especially when you've never experienced it before. As for the BMX...I made the decision to have it due to my stage of cancer, and the fact that my "good breast has 1 fluid filled cyst and quite a few calcifications, etc. I wanted to cut my risk back and felt it was the right choice for me. :)

• survivor11
    survivor11 Member Posts: 430
    edited September 2011
    Options

Hi ladies, add me to Oct surgery list. My BMX with TE placement was 5/11. My exchange/port removal/ovary removal is scheduled for Oct 3rd.

I know what you all mean about Sept seeming like it will never end. Since I finished chemo 5 weeeks ago and am feeling very well it actually makes the waiting harder. Nouthing to distract me. Have to remain busy, reorganizing my house, kids activities, etc or I'll spend all day looking in the mirror for any hair growth or bemoaning the long days.

Good luck to all having surgery and tests.

• annalive
    edited September 2011
    Options

Ah2bthin, Rachelvk, & Survivor11 -- October list is getting longer, and we're glad you joined us.

Survivor11 --  How was your 4 months after BMX with TEs? Must be good for you to be getting your exchange, but to have port removed and oophorectomy at the same time? Ouch! It's so good you are progressing through all this, and maybe you can advise those of us with upcoming BMX / TEs.

Diana --  About ONC not ordering scans before BMX. She said they will do them if there are symptoms. Because my tumor seems to be responding to chemo, I suppose they proceed with surgery and rads as planned. But what about if there is any cancer in the chest wall now (I already have it in the skin). Is it discovered at surgery, and would it rule out getting TEs? I see my PS next week, so may ask about that. Praying for your PET scan for next week. Tell us how it goes and if you get your immediate recon.

Ah2bthin --  My BS said BMX is a personal decision, and that prophylactic on my non-cancer side is not necessary oncologically. I decided on it because of my stage, for symmetry with reconstruction, and because I have had suspicious calcifications leading to biopsies (benign) on that breast twice in the last 8 years, so I'd anticipate having mammograms and biopsies whenever anything looks suspicious again, so I'd like to avoid that. 

Rachelvk -- Do you have a surgery date or is 4 weeks their best guess for now?  Best wishes deciding on what kind of recon.

This morning is IT -- last chemo! Woo hoo! I hope weekly Herceptin after this is easier, but it will be hard to notice with surgery and rads going on too! I think the Herceptin continues straight through, except surgery week.

• survivor11
    survivor11 Member Posts: 430
    edited September 2011
    Options

Annalive, honestly uncomfortable would be how I would describe the las 4 months. There were moments of pain, but they were early on and controlled by pain meds. There were times I would forget about the TE if I were busy but mostly I always know they are there and of course you get more uncomfortable as you go along. Kinda like wearing a way too tight bra all the time. Like everything else it is very doable and nouthing for me like the chemo days were. I just keep telling myself there is an end to all of this even when there doesn't seem like one. Good luck.

By the way, besides the drains, I didn't find the BMX all that bad. Your so numb in your chest and usually under your arms that there isn't much pain, atleast for me there wasn't.

• MargieC
    edited September 2011
    Options

AnnaAlive --  good luck on your last chemo....  It is a great feeling to have that finally over.  As for scans I have a mammogram this Wed which I questioned my BS nurse why not a MRI since the the mammogram didn't show all my cancer before she said they will start with that and after they look at it the BS may order more scans.  I want them to do all the same test (MRI, bone scan and cat scan)  they did before chemo, but so far they are not.  UGH

this week I start all my pre-op appointments.  Today we meet with the plastic surgeon and Wed I have my post chemo mammogram and a muga (spelling?) heart scan.  Next week I have my first herceptin only iv and hospital pre-op appointment.  all these appointments make surgeon more of a reality.

have a good Monday everyone... 

• gamergirl
    edited September 2011
    Options

Okay, I think I got all the wonderful new ladies in the list.  Let me know if I have it wrong, or when dates get scheduled.  I know I was on pins and needles until I had a date.  I hate that feeling of not having control over anything right now, and at least with a date I could plan and take back some of that control.

Ann - YAY on the last chemo!  At least it is one thing you can check of your list of things to do :-)

Ah2bthin - YAY on chemo done for you this week!   I've had so many surgeries, the best advice I can give you is to let them know you are stressed.  They can give you meds to help with that.  The anticipation is the hardest part.  I'm glad you joined us so we can support you the best we can!

Rachelvk - I wish I had a choice between a DIEP and a Lat Flap.  Lat flap was all either surgeon would do.  So much for a free tummy tuck :-)  Which one are you leaning toward?  The recon is the only part I'm nervous about.  It's just such a hard recovery. 

Survivor11 - So glad you are feeling better after chemo!  How many kids do you have?  I'm having a hard time remaining busy while I wait for surgery.  My daughter is in kindergarten, so my house is very, very quiet now.  I have the TV or Ipod on all day now, just so I hear something besides my own thoughts.

Well, on Friday I went to the salon and had them cut 8 inches off my hair.  I was worried my long hair would get all tangled in drains and incisions and stuff.  It wasn't quite long enough this time to donate to locks of love, which is a shame cause I've done that before.  But now I feel like I'm doing something to prepare myself.   

• rachelvk
    rachelvk Member Posts: 564
    edited September 2011
    Options

Gamergirl - I'd love the free tummy tuck, but I'd like to get back to fencing some day and that requires a lot of core strength; one doctor who's married to a fencer strongly discouraged it. Yet I've seen so many positive comments about DIEP or Tram in general, including from a dancer, and seen a lot of negative comments about post-implant problems. Maybe I get away with a lat flap and my growing back pudge and settle for an A cup...

I noticed a lot of people here who are already going through chemo. I've been nervous since no one has mentioned scans (except one surgeon who qualified it with, "but the insurance company almost never covers it at this point"). I'm Stage 1 supposedly, but Grade 3 and TN, and now 2 months since finding the lump.

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,770
    edited September 2011
    Options

Greeting to all October ladies,

Check out the Sept. Surgery group as we approach the middle of the month. Lots of personal stories,tips and hints from those of us who have just come through it. One thing I have loved is my recovery camisoles. I have both the Amoena and Softee Two brands (Kaiser paid for them). The Amoena looks like a workout type tank top and the Softee are more undershirt like. Both are soft and stretchy. I like the way they hold the drain bulbs and tubes close to my body and very comfy for day time or sleeping. Did not like the big safety pins they used to pin the drains to my gown in the hospital but some folks don't mind. Best to you all and feel free to ask me anything while the experience is still fresh in my mind! Caryn

• ah2bthin
    ah2bthin Member Posts: 22
    edited September 2011
    Options

AnnAlive-congrats on finishing Chemo today!! Hope you will be feeling better soon.

Thanks to all for the feedback on BMX.  I hope to have BMX with immediate recon but will know more after my appt with BS on the 22nd. Waiting for answers is sooooo hard! 

To anyone who had neo-chemo and scheduled for BMX, if you had a port will you have to have it removed? My onc said I would but will continue on with herceptin for twelve more treatments. I don't want to have it removed if I don't have to. Just curious. Thanks!

• annalive
    edited September 2011
    Options

Hallelujah, praise the Lord, finished my last chemo this morning! No fanfare or party -- but the nurse I had today gave me a hug before I left. Smile  They'll be seeing me every week for Herceptin anyway, until it goes to every 3 weeks schedule, stretching on to the end of June 2012.

Caryn -  The Sept surgery group has been very helpful to me (lurking) and I have also continued to read the Aug surgery group, to get even more information overload. :-) They have been great for tips on what to expect and how to fix problems.

Ah2bthin - I have a port, placed by my BS for neo-chemo, and she keeps the port in for BMX & TEs and beyond, maybe very long, until I finish reconstruction that might be later in 2012 for me, waiting for skin to recover after rads before I can have exchange surgery for implants. I want to keep the port (as annoying as it is at times) because my veins are always hard to find for starting IVs.

Gamergirl - DIEP surgery wouldn't hurt your fencing ability, would it? It doesn't remove muscle (as the TRAM does) so is much easier on abdominal strength, from what I have read. Have you asked in the DIEP threads?