Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Any October 2011 Surgeries out there want to wait together?

Options
1596061626365»

Comments

• rachelvk
    rachelvk Member Posts: 564
    edited July 2019
    Options

Hi everyone! Just checked back. Eema, sorry to hear you're dealing with lymphoma now. I hope your treatment is going well. You might be interested to hear that I begin cantorial studies in August!

Ginger - I'm going to be in CT July 7- 11, though busy most of the daytime, and then again Aug 11 - 15. I'll be in Fairfield. Where are you again?

Clams - Glad your wife is doing well, and kudos for you for continuing to be such a good support for her!

GrandmaV - Sounds like it's been a rough time. At least the BMX is in the rearview mirror. I haven't had experience with AI's myself, but I've heard the side effects are tough.

• GrandmaV
    GrandmaV Member Posts: 1,045
    edited July 2019
    Options

Hi Rachel, good to hear from you. I have decided to stop aromatase inhibiters after 7 years. I was on letrozole for 6 and 1/2 years and the se's got so bad my onco put me on a month break and switched me to anastrozole last November. I've just progressively gotten worse. Then I read through all of the ASCO guidelines for extended therapy and they included 2 studies that said 7 years is as good 10 even with those with high risk/benefit. The percent of benefit was not statistically significant to continue to 10 years. I've been off AI's 7 weeks and beginning to feel better.

• ginger48
    ginger48 Member Posts: 1,437
    edited August 2019
    Options

hi Rachel- good to hear from you. I have not been on these boards in a while.

I am up in northeastern ct but my family is in Stamford and Fairfield. Sorry to miss you again; I was just down there this weekend.

What studies are you beginning?

Grandma V- I stopped mine last fall for the same reason and am feeling much better. My bones couldn’t handle any more weakening. Less creaky joints too

• rachelvk
    edited August 2019
    Options

I just got accepted to a Cantorial program - I took a class last week, and start in earnest in the Fall.

Unfortunately my Mom has to go for a biopsy. I'm hoping it's nothing; they think it might be calcifications but want to take a closer look. I'm hoping for the best.

• Dukes_Up
    Dukes_Up Member Posts: 112
    edited August 2019
    Options

Hey Rachel!

Congrats on the program! That is so wonderful.

I am sending good luck wishes to your Mom for her biopsy.. I was exactly where you are 1-2 weeks ago with my Mom. Unfortunately, her results were not favorable and she is having a lumpectomy on Wednesday --- likely to be followed by radiation. This is her second bout---- but not a recurrence, rather a new cancer. It sucks but I will get her through it again. When is your Mom's biopsy? My Mom's was a cluster of calcifications in which the biopsy showed DCIS again. I didn't realize that there is still a 29% change of it being invasive pending the surgical pathology.

As for me, I am about a month away from having my implants removed and replaced. I have had a difficult time with them causing pain/discomfort so my surgeon has recommended going the muscle this time. Apparently I'm looking at 2 weeks of drains (!!!)---I wasn't expecting that.

October group--- Would love to hear from more of you!!! I think of you all often!!!

Take Care-

Alana

• ginger48
    edited September 2019
    Options

Rachel- Wow; congratulations on the program! That’s exciting. Hoping your mom’s biopsy is clear!

Dukes- I hope your mom’s surgery was uneventful and that she’s healing well. Sorry you are having the implants removed; drains are such a pain to deal with. I hope the surgery gives you some relief.

I also had to take my mom to the breast surgeon following results from a catscan for rib pain. It showed a nodule in her bread and we were worried that this was a reoccurrence possibly with bone involvement. The scan was done in the Emergency Room so they sent her to her dr for follow up. Turns out her dr believes it to be scar tissue from her previous lumpectomy in 2011. This is a relief as she will be 91 in November.

First day with students tomorrow so I am heading to bed soon. Take care!

• rachelvk
    edited February 2020
    Options

I should check in more often. I'm sorry to hear both your moms also had issues. Mine did have a lumpectomy for DCIS but had clean margins, no rx or chemo, just tamoxifen. She's been doing pretty well. Alana - how are you? I saw some of your FB posts and didn't realize the surgery was related. Sorry you were having issues.

My sister on the other hand had a preventative BMX in December and wound up with an infection, new drains, and now that her drains are back out one of the sides is still draining pretty heavily. It's been really tiring for her, with two young kids and a benefits company that can't seem to correctly process her HR forms for disability, especially when she needed additional surgery around the time they were telling her she was no longer cleared for leave. I feel so bad because of the three of us, she's the one who did it entirely voluntarily but wound up with all the problems.

Happy 2020 to everyone - I did take a minute to stop and think, wow, I made it! Still trying to count all the days and make them matter.

• ginger48
    edited February 2020
    Options

Hi.

Rachel- Great news that your mom didn’t need much treatment but very sorry your sister is having healing issues. My sister had the same problem with her preventative mastectomy and it was really rough. We have the BRCA mutation and she was trying to avoid complications. She’s fine now but at the time I felt so bad for her. How’s your schooling going?

Alana- how’s your mom doing? How did your surgery go? Are you happy with the results? Is it less painful?

I haven’t been on this thread in a while either. The last time I posted we had been told my mom’s nodule was scar tissue but we found out in October that it’s actually lymphoma. So far it’s not having any impact on her and since she is 91 and it’s slow growing so hopefully she won’t ever need treatment for it

I am doing well cancer wise. I just had Shingles so I am kind of still recouping my energy.

Take care everyone,

Ginger

• rachelvk
    edited May 2022
    Options

Hi everyone. I hope we've all treasured our 10-year anniversary and hopefully the mostly good things we've experienced.

• Dukes_Up
    Dukes_Up Member Posts: 112
    edited May 2022
    Options

Hey Everyone!

Rachel- Thanks for reaching out here!

Thankful for having surpassed the 10 year mark! While I continue to manage a slew of medical conditions, I am very grateful to be chugging along!

Would love to hear from more of our group! Will always be thankful for the support given to me here.

Alana

• Clams
    Clams Member Posts: 34
    edited May 2022
    Options

So nice to hear from you ladies!! 11 years later and my wife is doing great. She's healthy, she's still teaching, our kids are now 22 and 20 years old, and life is (mostly) really good! Wishing nothing but health and happiness to all you survivors - you all deserve it!!

Dave