Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Any October 2011 Surgeries out there want to wait together?

Options

Comments

• ginger48
    ginger48 Member Posts: 1,437
    edited May 2012
    Options

Rachel- congrats on getting the port out! Great news that you have some choice about when to do the ooph. June 7th will be here soon!

Cookie- I have heard many success stories about the CPAP helping so I am hopeful.

TexasRose- RADS are almost done; woohoo!! Hope your June surgery goes well!

• MargieC
    MargieC Member Posts: 302
    edited May 2012
    Options

Rachel ---  yea to getting the port out.  Good to hear you can wait on the ooph your body could use the time to heal.

TexasRose --  hang in there you are almost done with RADS.  Good luck with your next surgery.

I had my LAST herceptin last week.  Tomorrow I have my muga and PS followup and then Tues May 29 my port comes out.  After that I am done just check ups every 3 months.  I can't believe I am at the end of this long (13 month) process.  Some time this summer i will get my areola tattoo, but we are waiting to see how the nipples do - they have shrunk alot.  Right now they are little bumps (which is ok) if they completely flatten out then I will have the tattoo artist do 3D nipples with the areola.

I hope everyone has a great Memorial weekend...

• rachelvk
    rachelvk Member Posts: 564
    edited June 2012
    Options

Marjie - Hope the port removal went well, and MUGA. And congrats on your last herceptin. You're definitely at the finish line!

TexasRose - How's the swelling?

I'm counting down the hours... I've had a real bad cough the past week and a half, but it's subsiding and my PCP gave me the go-ahead for surgery today. Plus my CA125 came back normal (the test for ovarian cancer, imperfect as it is), so I can relax for 6 months.

I hope everyone has great plans for the summer. And I do hope some of us at least are able to meet up at some point. 

• ginger48
    edited June 2012
    Options

Rachel- I will be thinking of you tomorrow. Would love to get together sometime this summer!

• MargieC
    MargieC Member Posts: 302
    edited June 2012
    Options

Rachel - i hope your surgery went well...

I did have my port out last week and it went well.  I have my tattoo June 18 and that is the very last thing.  Then I just see my Dr's every 3 months for the next 5 years.  No more meds or treatments.  YEA

I hope everyone has a great summer and are putting cancer treatments behind them.

• rachelvk
    edited June 2012
    Options

Margie - Yeah! You're almost done!!! I'll be thinking of you on the 18th.

I'm fine and recovering well. The anesthesia seemed to knock me out a little more than I remembered for my bmx, or at least it just seemed to take longer to stop feeling woozy, but everything else was fine. I have pretty much full movement, though I'm trying to take it easy, and only a little discomfort. Mom will hang around until tomorrow - I'll be doing the Survivor's Lap in the local Relay for Life. For me, it's a victory lap and a great way to celebrate.

Ginger - Let's definitely plan on getting together. I'll be up possibly next weekend, but it might be another quick up and back trip (my mom's turning 70, so we're trying to get some of us together to celebrate). I don't remember if we have any other NJ/NY/CT/PA October sisters, but if they're out there, we could all try to get together at some point. 

• ginger48
    edited June 2012
    Options

Just sending a shout out to my October sisters; I hope everyone is doing well!

• rachelvk
    edited July 2012
    Options

Thanks, Ginger.

Happy Independence Day to you all! I hope everyone has great plans. 

• ginger48
    edited July 2012
    Options

Thanks Rachel, let me know when you are heading to CT someday.

• CookieMonster
    CookieMonster Member Posts: 90
    edited July 2012
    Options

Hi Ladies! Happy Independence Day!

I'm on summer break right now, but it's busy times for me. I had my first post UMX mammogram (on both the old and the new) and everything looks fine they say. Saw my BS for 6 month follow up and all's well. Saw my PS for pre-op everything is ready and we're good to go - reducing and lifting lefty (the unaffected one) so that I'll once again match - well at least mostly. Saw the gynecological oncologist too - for 6 month tamox check. Other than being, "hopped up on hormones" all looks good. My body seems to be doing what it's supposed to be doing.

I have surgery in a week and it's in a brand new outpatient surgery center across the street from the hospital - I hope it all runs smoothly. So through all of this, I've had surgery with the same set of docs in 4 different places, the "old" OR, the "new" OR, and new surgery center all in Santa Monica and then the UMX at Ronald Regan Hospital at UCLA itself. Kind of odd, but the hospital in Santa Monica is definitely undergoing changes - they've now taken down the "old" part but the new part is up and running just fine.

Anyway, I hope everyone's well and I'm looking forward to getting surgery over and done, but not really looking forward to the recovery. Looks like I just might have a drain again UGH! At least my body knows how to handle things, or so it seems.

Take care all!!

• ginger48
    edited July 2012
    Options

Good luck cookie; be sure to check in after surgery and let us know how things are going. No surgery for me this time; you will have to go it without me.

• CookieMonster
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Thanks Ginger - I think I can go it without you. Sealed
  • rachelvk
    edited July 2012
    Options

Good luck CookieMonster. We'll be thinking of you. Glad your body is behaving.

Ginger - It's a really busy summer, so I'm not sure when I'll be back there (I did run up last a week and a half ago for one day for my Mom's birthday/parents' anniversary, but I was there a total of 8 hours).

Recovery has continued to go well. Lining up the next round of appointments - MO in early August is the next one, plus one in a few weeks with PS. And regular gyn appt tomorrow. One year ago today I had my gyn appointment and was all clear. One week later, I had a lump front and (almost) center. 

• ginger48
    edited July 2012
    Options

Rachel- we will meet up sooner or later.

I was also there for an 8 hour visit a week ago to take my mom to a dr appt.

• Kelleyod
    Kelleyod Member Posts: 125
    edited August 2012
    Options

Well hello my October sisters! I have been absent far too long . . . . As I approach m y cancerversary (9/1) - you guys are most certainly on my mind.....

My road has taken several odd turns in health. . . I won't bore you unless you want to hear! But I am still here and hoping to be around a lot longer...... I value this forum so I hope to hear how y'all are doing soon.....

Take care y'all....

Kelleyod

• Maria_Malta
    Maria_Malta Member Posts: 667
    edited August 2012
    Options

Hello there Kelleyod!  How nice to 'see' you!  I've been thinking of posting as the anniversary of our surgery approached and have been wondering how all the October sisters have fared.  I passed my cancerversary some time ago(March 14th)...it's amazing how even with my disastrous memory I remember all the milestone dates. This month has been very much re-living what was happening last year as 12th August was the last day I had chemo, with my surgery anniversary coming up mid October of course.

I finished radio last week of December so I could start 2012 looking forward to a period of recovery and hopefully no complications. I was lucky, got stronger every week, grew my hair, and I think I can say I'm pretty much back to normal now...

How are you and what have your medical issues been?  You were somewhat vague, do write and tell us...it won't be at all boring I'm sure..I just hope these issues are being dealt with.

Lovely to hear from you again,  are there any others out there reading this thread?

Maria 

• CookieMonster
    edited August 2012
    Options

Hi all-

Kelleyod - I agree with Maria_Malta. This is the place to share your stories.

I passed mammo day and dx day earlier in late July/ early August, I was in Vegas on mammo day which was probably good, didn't even think about it. My 1st surgery day anniversary was on Thursday and I thought about it a bit, but not much, which is probably a good thing. 

I don't think about it a lot every day, but every time I get dressed I notice my two different breasts and even when dressed I sometimes notice the difference. Not sure if I'll ever get over that or not, hopefully it'll get better.

I hope everyone's feeling strong and doing well. HUGS to all.

• rachelvk
    edited August 2012
    Options

Kelley, Maria and CookieMonster - So good to hear from you! I've been meaning to post - my cancerversary was Aug 16, so it was on my mind. Glad everyone has found different ways to move on.

I'm still trying to find my 'peaceful place' amid almost constant scanxiety. I have a polyp that's being watched, and I'll be going for a chest xray soon just to make sure that this nagging cough is just post-nasal drip and/or allergies. Aside from feeling like an 80-year-old when I get out of chairs, I've rebounded almost completely from chemo. Hair is really starting to curl, but it's nice simply to have something to run my fingers through. I did move apartments and love the new place, but I've only unpacked maybe 30 percent of my boxes, so I need to get moving on 'real' furniture and other things so I can get organized and settled.

Kelley, we're here for you whenever you need to vent and we won't get bored. It seems that for many of us, facing additional health issues now takes on so much additional meaning and stress because of what we've been through. Anything we can do, just let us know. 

• TexasRose2127
    TexasRose2127 Member Posts: 106
    edited August 2012
    Options

Hi gang!  So good to see that you are all keeping up with this topic.  I am doing OK--- Cancerverisary date 8/17/12 1 year survivor.  Finished my Rads end of May & went on Femara.  I am still more tired than I thought I would be.  I am still exhausted. I am also having a bought with depression even though I am medicated.  Any one else feeling their strength is not returning as quick as expected?  I have my 1st quarterly f/u this week & I am ging to ask the doc.

Love Hugs

Rose

• Kelleyod
    Kelleyod Member Posts: 125
    edited August 2012
    Options

You guys are the best . . . .

Ok, I'll work my way backwards.  Well Friday 8/24 was my one year anniversary of biopsy that led to diagnosis - like so many of you, I can't help but look back a little ("...a year ago, I worried about bras!...").   Friday I went for my 6 month lymph node US - remember I had a micromet from the SURPRISE 6mm of IDC found in my PMX.  They found 3 lymph nodes in the US - 2 looked dead on normal - one did not.   They pushed me immediately into a core needle biopsy. . . .and I sit here awaiting results (hopefully Tuesday / Wednesday).  Nearly one year later and I'm still playing The Waiting Game.  What the heck?

Adding to it:   Remember that darn little genetic mutation I have?  Not BRCA of any kind - a PTEN tumor suppressor gene mutation called Cowden Syndrome.  Well it comes with the added bonus of 6 areas of cancer concern.   Looks like I may have a little renal cell carcinoma happening simultaneously.   So - bad news:  I have an 85% chance of having kidney cancer at the moment . . . Good news:  they think it's kidney cancer and has  nothing to do with BC. (of course as we all know final pathology trumps all...)   Partial kidney removal scheduled for 9/18.   The most challenging part is that all my cancer humor is boob / foob related - kidneys are . . . .well . .. . .boring.  :)

I'm a bit tired of all of this. . . .as I'm sure so many of you are.  And - don't get me wrong my sisters - I haven't been through half the BC battle so many of you have - to refresh memories, I escaped Chemo (Oncotype 14) & Rads . . . .  did Zoladex for a short time and have been on Arimidex for 3+ months.  Maybe I should have hit it harder . . .  maybe it wouldn't have mattered.  I'm not feeling any regret on the path to date.  I know my BS is not feeling good about this - I seem to defy the odds and always go "the wrong way" in this journey so she's being brutally honest and not blowing any smoke up my skirt. 

I'm feeling a bit sad and sorry for myself . . . .and I know, I need to get over it and take this lymph node thing one step at a time.   I think it's just the compilation of everything that has happened this past year. . . .remember my house fire?  In addition to that there was lice, daughter's surgery, husband laid off (still unemployed but looking), round 2 of lice 3 months later, speeding ticket, shingles, fipple surgery delay twice now . . . hahahaha . . . .  each time we start a new month I kind of think, "Ok, what's next?" 

Enough . . .I need to pull on my big girl panties and move forward.   I apologize for venting but I appreciate the ears. . . shoulders. . . . hugs.  Thank you. . . .

BTW - I'm feeling great physically. . . . a bit run down with allergies and all this crap.  hahahaha.   It's good to see you guys are moving forward.  It gives me hope.  Is anyone exercising regularly?  I'm finding that is HUGE. . . .even walking 30 min / day for 6 days a week!  HUGE!  

Rose - don't let the dark ninjas working on depressing you win!   Have you thought about some counseling / therapy?  It can be an awesome way to work through everything and face the day a bit more committed to finding the glass half full.  Arimidex had a horrid effect on me for a while - VERY depressed.    But those ninjas did not win.   Just a thought . . ..

Rachel - so glad you are getting settled!  WHEW - !  You need that.  I can obviously relate to the scanxiety. . . hahahaha . . . .   attitude is going to get us through. . . .    sometimes that is easier said then done.   I think it's a case of realizing you've done everything you can to fight this mother. . . .   take the peace in that.  And keep working to get life jumping....

Cookie - you sound so healthy and in process of moving forward - awesome!  I think there is a piece of you that will never not notice that the girls are not identical. . . .   I think we have to simply embrace this is who we are now. . . Mine are definitely different (obviously not in the same way as yours...) but I'm growing attached to each in their own way.  :)  hahahah - sounds funny to me.   But don't stop realizing how far you've come and how fantastic I am sure you are looking!

Maria Malta - Thanks for the encouragement to share.   Normal sound FABulous!   hahaha - you keep going!   I think the mental opportunity to start a year off FRESH has got to be amazing.   I was hoping for that too.  Obviously 2012 did not turn out that way for me. . . hahaha. . . How long did it take you to grow your hair back?   Have you found that your attitude toward life has changed much?

Again - thank you ALL for listening . . . .   so appreciate it.   Drop a line . . . .

Take care all. . .

kelleyod

• CookieMonster
    edited August 2012
    Options

Hugs Kellyod - even though you're tired of all of this, you seem to have a positive attitude and sense of humor about it, what more can anyone ask for from you. Hang in there and I hope things start to go your way a bit more, and very very soon.

We're happy to listen here, always, this is a safe and caring place to vent.

HUGS!

• CLC
    CLC Member Posts: 615
    edited August 2012
    Options

Kelleyod...you have every reason to be getting tired of it.  What a year!  I hope you find yourself in the 15% on the renal cancer and that the node is just having a bad day.  Listen, there's gotta be something funny about kidneys...you might have to resort to juvenile pee humor...;)

I will be thinking of you..and wishing you all the best...hopefully, you will go the "right" way this time around.

Rose...be sure to look at vitamin deficiencies on the fatigue thing...I was struggling to regain my energy after surgery and it turned out to be a double whopper of low D and very very low B12.  My energy rebounded very quickly after I began supplementing.  D insufficiency/deficiency is connected with depression, btw.

To all of you out there approaching the anniversary...hello...and well met!  What a year. 

Best wishes,

Claire

• Maria_Malta
    edited August 2012
    Options

Kelleyod, I'm so very sorry you've had such an uncertain year and that you're waiting for results once again.  Oh the waiting is just the worst thing! I'm not surprised that you're feeling a bit sorry for yourself...it would be surprising if you didn't!  Feel as sorry as you need to, no problem in letting it all out here...and then we can try and come up with kidney jokes, admittedly not as obvious as boobs and foobs jokes, but I'll try and work on it!

Regarding what you wrote about exercise, I find that this helps me more than anything else to keep a sane view of the world and to calm anxious fears... during chemo I was really too washed out to do much, but since finishing treatment I 'power' walk most days (except for this month as its just too hot, but I try and swim at least 3 times a week instead), and go to a yoga class 3 times a week.  I used to do yoga before my dx, but only once a week.  Since bc I've upped it to 3 weekly sessions and find that there is nothing like it to calm jagged nerves and instil in me a feeling of peace and contentment.  It has also made me a lot more supple and less achy. Have you ever tried it Kellyod? You might find it helps, the mind as much as the body.

My hair started growing back very soon after the end of chemo, but very very slowly.  I continued to wear a wig or a scarf until a good 6 months had passed, if not slightly more.  Then it suddenly started sprouting really thick and fast.. I always had curly hair, but now it's even curlier and i'm leaving it short, kind of afro...

It's so nice to hear from the rest of you...hello Cookie, Texas, Rachel, CLCSmile I thought CLC you were familiar on the other thread, but hadn't made the connection and didn't realise until today that you are one of my October sisters. And Rachel being TN I know you write on one of the TN threads too, but while I sometimes lurk I  rarely contribute..

Kelleyod, GOOD LUCK for results Tuesday or Wednesday...let us know, take care of yourself, and though not easy  try not to concentrate too much on the other difficulties in your life, not easy, but you can't worry about everything....

much love to all xxxxx 

• Maria_Malta
    edited August 2012
    Options

And as to whether my attitude to life has changed yes I think it has quite a lot...I think I was always capable of focusing on the present and not brooding too much about the past...but since bc I think the present has become a lot more important and I find myself consciously NOT worrying about trivial things, keeping things in perspective if they are unimportant, and not worrying too much about the future which is unknowable and ultimately not under my control... like our bodies which certainly had other plans than the ones we had for them!  But then I've been luckier than some in this shit of a journey so far... 

• CLC
    edited August 2012
    Options

Maria...that has sooooo happened to me.  I really don't seem to sweat the little stuff anymore.  But that can be a little unsettling at times.  I completely forgot to decorate for my daughter's birthday...something I have always done...and something my children have come to depend on.  I awoke on her birthday at 6 am and suddenly popped up, realizing my mistake...and quick...decorated...lol.  I didn't even pee first...  But she never knew the difference.  Phew.

• ginger48
    edited August 2012
    Options

Hello October sisters; it is great to see you all here! The last year has been crazy for sure. I am glad to see so many of you getting on with life and starting to feel more normal.

Kelleyod- I am so sorry you are still dealing with this crappy cancerland! I saw your posting on Facebook and it really gets me mad...you deserve to be done with this now! I hope your results come back the best that you can hope for.

As for me, I had my one year cancerversary in April and one year for Mastectomy in June. I,too, felt like I had dodged a bullet by not having to do chemo or radiation. Just have the 4 surgeries and get on with life. I planned for 2012 to be my year of getting healthy. I am trying but I keep getting hit with something new.Nothing as serious as more cancer) First it was lymphedema and I have truncal and arm swelling so I spend a lot of time in compression garments. Then I found out I have sleep apnea and stop breathing 45 times every hour. I am now sporting a CPAP mask at bedtime and looking a little like Darth Vader. In July, I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia. I have so much pain and muscle cramping at night that I am not sleeping well at all.I just started back to school this week and I am exhausted! I have spent the summer swimming about 3x a week and walking just about every day. It definitely helps me feel better.The swimming helped with my frozen shoulder and I am almost back to full range of motion. Yay! Like most of you, I have learned not to sweat the small stuff. I go back to the rheumatologist at the end of September. I just need some sleep...

Wishing all of you all the best and I will work on some kidney jokes for you, Kelley.

Rachel, we still have to meet up some time. Let me know when you are headed to CT.

Ginger

• Dukes_Up
    Dukes_Up Member Posts: 112
    edited August 2012
    Options

Hello there to our whole gang of October 2011 Super Troopers :)   Kelley, Ginger, Maria, Claire, Rachel, Rose, and Cookie--- so happy to "see" all of you here.  I've really missed you all and was so happy to discover some activity on our thread.  I do; however, wish that NONE of us were experiencing further issues though. 

Kelley~ Good golly Girl... I'm sending you ginormous vibes of strength.  You've been through the wringer for sure-- but I have no doubt that you will come out on top.  You are strong, strong, strong and that amazing attitude of yours will NOT let you down.  Will be looking for your update.   

Rachel~ Sending good wishes for the chest x-ray.  Let us know, K?  

Rose~ Wishing you a very UNeventful followup appointment!  Hope it all goes perfectly.  I send you hugs re: fighting depression.  I'm finding myself in that place too and it's no fun.  I'm here if you ever want to talk. 

Ginger~ You've certainly had your share of challenges too :(   Great job with your exercise... and let us know how the Rheumatology appointment goes.   

Cookie~ Hurray for a clear mammo.  Excellent news.

Claire~ Have missed you! Hope your daughter had a wonderful birthday! 

Maria~ Hi!  I'm with you on learning to not sweat the small stuff.  Hard lesson learned!

Update:   Well, I'm currently in the middle of another medical shitstorm.   My ongoing lymph node enlargement issues continue.   I can now add supraclavicular nodes to the list (never a good thing.)  I had a chest x-ray today (negative) along with labs (also negative.)  Next up is a CT scan.  Groin lymph node biopsy was negative; however, my axillary lymph nodes have not been biopsied yet.   I really wish that I had underwent SNB at the time of my BMX but it wasn't deemed necessary at the time.  I'm a bundle of nerves and I'm not sure how much more I can take of the medical "waiting game" for appointments, results, etc.  It's more than I can handle at this point.  I'm seriously considering anxiety meds again (after having stopped them upon discovering that my liver enzymes were elevate too.) 

Sorry to be such a Debbie Downer.  I've been trying so hard to enjoy this summer with my son but it's so hard to fake happiness when I feel like I'm drowning in a sea of unknowns. 

Love to My October Sisters.  Hope we hear from more of the gang soon :)

• CLC
    edited August 2012
    Options

AJ...It is good to "see" you too.  I am so sorry you are still going through this.  Lymph nodes!  Ugh.  Have you been able to stay active?  I know how important that is to you...and it will help with the anxiety, of course.  It is good that you've been trying to enjoy your time with your son...fake it until you feel it, they say...  I am so sorry you are still not DONE with this...it was PROPHYLACTIC, after all!!!!!!  Sheesh.  Keep us posted.

Claire

• rachelvk
    edited August 2012
    Options

AJ - Sorry to hear that you're still plagued by medical issues and questions. Haven't we all gone through enough? Sending you double good wishes that it all gets resolved.

• Eema
    Eema Member Posts: 403
    edited August 2012
    Options

Hi girls!

Hope you are all finding your new normal. August was my 1-year cancerversary. Oct will be my neuter-versary. The surgical menopause is a b. I'm still trying to figure out if I have cutaneous lymphoma or not. I'm a huge mystery wrapped in an enigma.

Glad to hear from you all!