Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Any October 2011 Surgeries out there want to wait together?

Options

Comments

• AthabascanWarriorPrincess
    AthabascanWarriorPrincess Member Posts: 15
    edited October 2012
    Options

Back home. Thank you all for your support! I got through the surgery. Another Mastectomy with Oopherectomy and another port put back in. So been home for 2 nights and the doctor calls today my markers for my breast came back negitive but they were sure what they were looking at when it came to the ovaries, so they sent those off for another pathology report. :( BOO! The last time they "sent" away it was cancer... boo! So that's my latest concern. Family and friends have stepped up amazingly and I am so blessed to have all of them and ALL of you in my life!

• rachelvk
    rachelvk Member Posts: 564
    edited October 2012
    Options

So glad the surgery went well, and I'll be crossing my fingers for the biopsy report. Hang in there. Let us know if there's anything else we can do. I forget whereabouts you're from.

• ginger48
    ginger48 Member Posts: 1,437
    edited October 2012
    Options

AWP- glad the surgery is behind you but sorry you have to deal with another recovery! Keeping my fingers crossed that your pathology report is good. Take it easy and be gentle with yourself. I did not have much pain with my ooph but did not have MX at the same time.

• rachelvk
    edited October 2012
    Options

Hi ladies. I thought I'd check in and see how everyone's doing a year after we all got together to help each other out. It will be a year this Friday from my bmx. I'm glad you were all there to help me through that and some of the other challenges we've all faced. Wishing everyone only good things in the future.

• ginger48
    edited October 2012
    Options

Hi Rachel- congrats on the surgery anniversary. I will be one year from exchange on the 27th. This thread really got me through! Hope everyone is doing well!!!

• Clams
    Clams Member Posts: 34
    edited October 2012
    Options

Hey y'all.  Thought I'd check in since most of you are now 1 year out from "the date."  I hope you are doing well and dealing.  I know that just because you may be doing well on the physical side, there are still going to be emotional issues that never go away.  Mrs Clams is doing well but not a day goes by that she doesn't think about her new body and what she went through.  It's been a really long, hard year!  We had champagne and pizza on her anniversary.  Thoughts and prayers to all of you.

• kerrberlady
    kerrberlady Member Posts: 42
    edited October 2012
    Options

Hi, I have been following this post for a year!  I just past my one year anniversary of my BMX/reconstruction on October 21!  I am one infusion away from ending my year of Herceptin, which will be on November 15(my birthday).  My year has had ups and downs, my recovery was physical for sure, but more mental, this is my second time and I am scared of another recurrance.  I am glad this year is almost over, because after November 15, I will not see my oncologist for three months.  That will be a long three months, but I'm looking forward to not seeing doctors for awhile.  I have one more appt with my PS for nipple tattooing on Dec. 6, but other than that, happy to be done with doctors for awhile.  

• ginger48
    edited October 2012
    Options

Today is one year exactly from my exchange to implants surgery and my October surgery sisters played such a huge part in getting me through it. Thanks for always being there and I hope everyone is doing well! I don't know what I would have done without BCO this past year...

Clams- nice to hear your update!

Kerrberlady- what a great birthday present. I hope you continue to feel better each day!

• Eema
    Eema Member Posts: 403
    edited October 2012
    Options

Hi girls,

I spent the anniversary of my ooph/hyst in the hospital with serious facial cellulitis near my eye. 5 days in the hospital is not as fun as everyone says it is. Almost didn't get to leave, as the insurance company didnt want to pay for my antibiotic at $1000 / pill. Hospital social work stepped in to pay for them, thank goodness. As it is, they changed my script from 7 days to 3. Really hope that is enough.

I'm having these implants changed after a 5 level laminaplasty. This has been quite a long process.

Hope the rest of my sisters are doing well!

• rachelvk
    edited October 2012
    Options

Ginger - Thanks, and congrats back at you. Hang tight up there in the storm. I'm bracing down here.

Kerrberlady - Good luck with the end of your tx. Yes, those three months are tough to wait through, and I'm not sure it gets better too quickly after that, but you'll make it. I have my next three-month follow-up this Thursday. It's always relieving to see my MO and get the all-clear.

Clams - Thanks for taking the time to update us. These emotional issues are really tough - but it sounds like you 'get' it, and your wife is so lucky to have someone who understands and can support her. I never realized you're near Philly.

Wishing all of you on the East Coast a safe couple of days. It's almost a repeat of last year - I got home from my bmx, and we got hit with that freak October snowstorm. Okay, I think we've all had more than enough for a year.

• ginger48
    edited October 2012
    Options

Stay safe, Rachel!

• Maria_Malta
    Maria_Malta Member Posts: 667
    edited October 2012
    Options

Flying through as running late and shouldn't really be checking bca at all...but wanted to say how nice to hear from Ginger, Rachel, Clams, kerrberlady, and of course eema, so sorry to read that you're still not out of the woods and coping with hospital stays. Do you still write a blog occasionally, and if so where?

Am feeling well,trying to eat as well as possible, walking if possible every day, and doing yoga 3 times a week...used to do this before bc, but not so often.  Generally I think I was very lucky to have got away with apparently few side effects, although I'm almost too superstitious to actually say this! Am lucky enough to be able to work only part-time and really enjoying the time I have to myself, something I haven't had in at least 25 years, having taught full-time and brought up 3 children while doing so.  Love to you all, especially eema, hoping very hard that you will get over this last hurdle very quickly!

• ginger48
    edited October 2012
    Options

Maria- nice to hear from you; glad you are doing well!

• slgarcia05
    slgarcia05 Member Posts: 154
    edited October 2012
    Options

Hi Ladies! It has been a very long time since I have been on here. I apologize for that. I just couldn't make myself come in here.....I don't know why, as this is where I found the most comfort at the beginning of this ordeal. I have missed my October sisters very much. I am doing very well now. I finished hard chemo in March (boy was I sick) and I have my last herceptin on Dec 26th. My port comes out on Dec 31st. The thought of being awake for that scares the hell out of me.....but what a way to end my year!!!! I was supposed to have my exchange surgery back in July, but due to some complications I am now scheduled for Nov 5th. I CANNOT wait! I really do apologize for not coming back sooner. I think I got so overwhelmed with everything I just figured if I tried to get back to normal things would be better....if that even makes sense? But, things are really good. I got the news in April that I'm officially in remission. I still get sad from time to time, especially about my hair. I miss it more than anything. It is coming in though, I have about 2 inches or so. I hope you are all doing well. Miss u all bunches!

Shannon

• MargieC
    MargieC Member Posts: 302
    edited October 2012
    Options

Rachel - stay safe the conditions look really bad on the news.

Eema - I hope you things get better for you.

Ginger and Clams - good to hear from you.

Shannon - I know what you mean about the hair - I am 14 month past my hard chemo and 5 month past my last herceptin and my hair is growning but it's not the long hair I use to have.  I did found that my hair started growning faster after I finish my herceptin.  Don't worry about the port coming out it was much easier coming out then going in.  If you are like me you will have a lot of mixed feelings on that day.  It is great to be done with the year long trips to the infusion center, but my Dr told me it is natural to be nervous to be out of treatment. 

Everyone on the east coast be safe with this terrible storm.

sending hugs and prayers to everyone.

• Maria_Malta
    edited October 2012
    Options

Ginger , Margie Smile

Hello Shannon, I totally understand your reluctance to come on the threads... I was like that for a lot of the summer, and now I only come in to check on the latest news on 3 threads (obviously including this one), every couple of weeks or so, and don't always post either.  It's a balance between wanting to know what's going on with cyber friends, and wanting to get on with one's 'real' life, although last year at this time my relationship with you all was pretty 'real' in fact, just different.  Also, though, sometimes I just don't want to have to think about bc AT ALL, so I really know how you feel.  However, so glad you can see the end of the tunnel, and your hair will come back, texture not brilliant to start with (mine was really dry and horrible when it first grew), but now pretty much back to normal, after over a year from the end of chemo.  Sounds like a really long time but you'd be surprised how soon it will pass.

love and healing thoughts to you all xxx

• ginger48
    edited October 2012
    Options

Shannon- thanks for checking in. I follow you on Caringbridge but it is nice to see you here. Good luck with your exchange next week. I found it to be a pretty easy surgery; hope you do too!!

We made it through Sandy...Rachel hope you are doing ok too!

• slgarcia05
    edited November 2012
    Options

Hi Ladies.  I finally had my new twins put in on Nov. 5th.  What a wait!  I was supposed to do this back in July, but instead found myself having a biopsy for a suspicious lump and then another surgery to close the incision site after a month of not healing.  The bx came back as scar tissue! :)  So, Monday, I finally got the girls.  I have to say, I think they look great.  The drain tubes have given me a lot of fits this time, causing very intense pain.  My doc was kind enough to come in today (Saturday morning) to take one of them out.  OUCH!  I am glad it is gone.  One down, one to go.  I will finish Herceptin on Dec 26th, with my port coming out on New Year's Eve.  What a way to end the year, right?  I don't know how to cope once this is all over.  My life, as have yours, has been crazy for the past 14 months.  I am more of a wreck now than when I was in the throws of everything.  How is that possible?  I hope you are all doing well.  I may not be on here as much, but I do think of you all often and I do come in and read....I just don't always post.  Take care, and God bless you all.  Much love to you all.  ~~ShannonKiss

• ginger48
    edited November 2012
    Options

Shannon- check out the forum moving beyond cancer. There is a thread called "why was I stronger when I was going through treatment?". You are in good company and there is lots of support there.

• rachelvk
    edited November 2012
    Options

Shannon - Good to hear from you, and congrats on the new twins! Enjoy. This has been a long haul for so many of us. But you've shown how strong you are. Wishing you only goodness going forward.

• slgarcia05
    edited November 2012
    Options

Happy Thanksgiving to all my October sisters!  Thank you for all of your support and friendship!  Much love to you all!

Shannon Garcia

• ginger48
    edited November 2012
    Options

Shannon- have a great day and though it sounds cliche "hang in there". It really does get better in time. I go back and forth between feeling tired/worn out and also being so grateful for all the blessings in my life. Your body/mind/spirit still need time to heal and recover.

My October and BCO sisters are at the top of my list of things I am SO Thankful for.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

• Eema
    Eema Member Posts: 403
    edited November 2012
    Options

(((ginger and all my BCO girls))). So thankful for all of you that have been on the journey with me! Happy thanksgiving!

• rachelvk
    edited November 2012
    Options

Happy (late) Thanksgiving. It's always good to hear from all of you. 

• rachelvk
    edited December 2012
    Options

Just jumping in to say hi. Had my first colonoscopy today and it was clear. Yay! Earlier in the month I had a scare with elevated alkaline phosphatase levels, but a bone scan and liver ultrasound came back normal. Hoping the levels are back down next time. I hate these scans.

But I think I can now go until March without a doctor appointment. Wow!

• ginger48
    edited December 2012
    Options

Glad you are doing well Rachel!

I had a GI Series last week that showed some nodular thickening in the body of my stomach. Have to have endoscopy/ possible biopsies on 12/24. Trying to stay positive but today I read that being BRCA2+ puts me at risk for stomach cancer and now I am a little freaked out!

• rachelvk
    edited December 2012
    Options

Ginger - I'll send positive thoughts your way. Waiting for scans and results is the worst. I hope you can keep your thoughts and mood up during the holiday season. Keep us posted!

I hadn't heard about stomach cancer being on the list for brca2. I'm due for an endoscopy in the spring because I already have reflux/Barretts (a possible precursor to esophageal cancer). 

• MargieC
    MargieC Member Posts: 302
    edited December 2012
    Options

Ginger you are in my thoughts and prayers that the scan comes back clean.

I hope everyone is doing well and getting ready for the Holidays.  Sorry I have been offline for over a month - my work life has been busy with travel which is one step of getting back to my old life :)

I am sending everyone warm wishes for a happy holidays and a cancer free 2013!!!

• rachelvk
    edited December 2012
    Options

Margie - So glad you're settling back into a more normal life. I've been doing that pretty well, except now I get frustrated when I'm up to my ears in the 'normal routine,' because I'd like to carve out some more time for other things now.

Happy holidays, all. And Ginger - keep us posted.

• Maria_Malta
    edited December 2012
    Options

Hello all, Rachel thanks for keeping this thread going! Congratulations on your clear scans!

Nice to read you're busy with work, Margie, that's a good sign.

This is the third day I'm sitting in bed with feverish cold and cough incapable of doing anything interesting or useful. Particularly frustrating as have lots to do for Xmas lunch here.

Just wanted to wish you all a calm and tranquil Xmas, whatever your current situation is....Ginger, strongest wishes for your scans and tests..... I'm sure we are all wishing you the same gift for Xmas. Shannon, Eema keep us updated and lots of strong healing thoughts to everyone else here.....here's hoping for a cancer free 2013!! Thank you all for being there