Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Ottawa ladies?

Options

Comments

• micheleboots
    micheleboots Member Posts: 885
    Options

welcome dragonfly...

• caro46
    caro46 Member Posts: 78
    Options

Hi Mich-M, I`m trying to read the surgeon`s name and it looks like Dr Lorimer... Heard of him? For the BCRA testing, it was the social worker who suggested I ask for the test and results to be fast track... I know it takes a while,my sister had it done and it took about 2 months.  She`s negative so I think chances are that I will be as well...

Dragonfly55, nice to meet you! So I guess youre in the diagnostic stage as well? My apt is at 1:30... What time is yours? and who is your Dr and surgeon?  I am seeing Dr B. and surgeon is Dr Lorimer (?)

Any of you know approx.  how long is the process from consultation with the surgeon to treatments? I`m just trying to start planning for the holidays and stuff and just wondering if it`s likely I`ll be doing treatments b4 xmas?

• micheleboots
    Options

Carol, I got the results from my biopsy in early July, had my PS cconsult about a week later and had surgery in early Aug.  My GP went ahead and booked the surgeons consult even before my MRI/Biopsy was done.  She wanted to get the ball rolling.  Then I had my first chemo mid Oct.  I think it is standard to start chemo apx. six weeks after surgery.  I had an earlier surgery date, but then the Dr. had to postpone by a week, as another lady needed the spot way worse than me. It's funny how thinking back on this I find it hard to remember all the dates. 

One thing I did was after I was initially diagnosed was get a binder that zipped.  I organized all my cancer papers in different sections.  Dr. Appts,  test results, medical reports, prescription information, information I copied from the Internet...just about anything went in there.  I would take the appointment paper I got in the mail with me to the cancer clinic and write on the back of it anything we discussed at the appointment.  I also wrote down anything I wanted to discuss at that appointment so I wouldnt forget anything..That way I knew what we talked about and when..Also my ONC, Dr. Segal would write everything down as we talked and then she would give it to me.  One time she didn't have any paper to write on so she wrote on a piece of paper towel and I have that in there as well. 

Hope all this helps.

• Forever_mummy
    Forever_mummy Member Posts: 9
    Options

That's not fair. No one suggested genetic testing to me ;-)

Carolyne, it takes month for the surgery, then you rest, and then chemo. And they will let you rest before rad.

For me chemo is the worse part, although that will be first and hopefully last surgery in my life.

Soft tissues don't look so scary. But watching Greys anathomy seems impossible LOL would be too much.

With 1st grade I know a friend who is cleaning houses, and she was working to the very end (6treats every 3 weeks). I'm going with my workmate on the same schedule for chemo and she is doing well as well ;-) everything around the house and more (2nd grade because of spreading - both breast affected).

You'll be fine. Even it's not the thing woman would dream about.

For Xmas you may be after surgery and before chemo. Last pictures that are bold not bald ;-)

I wonder?

How is that working for you? Will someone drive you just for chemo to Ottawa?

Do your homework ;-)

I didn't meet the doctor who would like to answer all my questions. Only answers to what I asked about.

Good, my husband has nice coverage. There is a service called best doctors. They go through the same process to diagnose patient. When they are done they give the whole booklet ;-) to read in bed ;-)

Anyway, the more you know now, the more questions you'll have, and when you have it they will answer.

GOOD LUCK!!!

• dragonfly55
    dragonfly55 Member Posts: 97
    Options

Hi Carolyne, My appointment is at 1 p.m. with Dr. Lorimer.  What are the odds? 

I'm still trying to get my head around all of this.  I can't organize my thoughts  or questions.  I have such limited info so far.  

micheleboots - how did you get your reports?  Did your doctors just give them to you?  

Forever_mommy is it 1 month or months before surgery? 

Like Carolyne and many others, I am trying to figure out Christmas , etc.  I have a new grandson, born in Winnipeg the end of June that I have not yet seen.  My annual physical was June 21, and I've been caught up in this since then.

Glad to connect with y'all.  Take care. 

• micheleboots
    Options

I just went to the records department and asked for them.  You might have to pay.  I think it depends on who you talk to.

• dragonfly55
    dragonfly55 Member Posts: 97
    Options

Was it the records department at the Civic or does the Breast Health Centre have its own record dept.?  It sounds like you had a very conscientious doctor.  Wishing you well through your treatments.  Take care Michele.

• caro46
    Options

Thanks for being there ladies!

Forever_mummy, I really hope it will be rads only and no chimo! That`s what Dr B told me he thought would happen... But I know I`ll have to wait for the results after surgery... So I am hoping I can easily drive myself... I was also thinking about work, should I take time off or should I try to work part time? It`s a lot of stuff to think about.  I know my work will be very flexible and probably allow me to do as I please as long as I let them know what I want.  I have my kids week on week off and I think I might try and save my energy for when I have them. Maybe work more every second week? Anyone have any inpt? Or Am I just kidding myself ? 

Dragonfly, I agree.. what are the odds!!! I`ll be sitting in the waiting room while youre talking to the surgeon! 

One day at a time...

Good night all!

• micheleboots
    Options

Dragon.  It was the records dept. at the General.  Everything goes to my ONC there, so they get a copy of everything,eventually. My treatments ended a year and a half ago, in spring 2010.  Still kicking cancer a$$.

Carol, just wait and see how everything goes.  Some parts are harder than others.  Be sure to take any help you get offered.  I hope this helps some of you, but I heard to late that there is a cleaning service in Ottawa that donates free maid service for women during their treatments.  Don't know for sure if it is true, but something to check out. 

I stopped working after my mastectomy, I was told I would find it to hard to work.  So I started unemployment then.  I wish I had of waited, as it was only a couple of weeks until I feel I could have gone back to work.  At least for a little bit.  I ended up running out of EI and then I had to go back to work.  My bills were piling up.  I tried to get long term disability to hold me over until I felt better to work.  But I was told I was not sick enough.  Can you believe it.  Not sick enough.  I wish I could have traded places with whoever made that decision..Bet I would have gotten it.

• Forever_mummy
    Forever_mummy Member Posts: 9
    Options

Both of my friends had surgery just one month after they were diagnosed.

I'd love to go without chemo. Now! I'm even more jealous ;-)

My imagination is telling me I'd work with just rads. And I wish you that!

But they have patients with complications (burns) so you don't really know until you try.

And between surgery and rads, my radiation oncologist said they give 4-6 weeks to heal.

I need that maid! LOL

There are two kinds of support for disabled people.

One goes through CRA (T2201) - and this is hard to get, they have specific conditions. It's for 5 years, and then you have to renew it.  

But there are also benefits through CPP pension plan.

I don't qualify as a staying at home mom.

Yes, I had some income we lost, but they only consider 6 years for payments, and...

It will get batter, ladies ;-)

• llm005
    llm005 Member Posts: 7
    Options

Hi Carolyne

I had genetic testing, but even on the "expedited" basis, as MichM says, it took months and I sure would not have wanted to delay my surgery that long.  Anyway, happy to discuss more if you wish.

Edited to add:  Sorry, I am way out of sequence on the posts here -- hard to keep up.   You say your sister had genetic testing so you probably know all about it. 

• Kyta
    Kyta Member Posts: 273
    Options

Wow what a coincidence that you and dragon are seeing the same surgeon, same day. I hope you're able to meet up with each other. It's nice to have others to talk to that are going through the same thing, at the same time.

Like Michele, I'm starting to forget the exact dates of diagnosis, surgery, etc. I have everything documented in a notebook, but have no interest in taking out the book to remind myself. I was diagnosed after the biopsy results around the 1st or 2nd week of Nov 2009, then went for an MRI which showed areas of concern on the other breast. Had to then have the other side biopsied, which turned out fine but delayed things a bit. I think my mastectomy surgery was on Dec 11th. I had Dr Chadwick from the breast health centre. I can't say enough good things about him. He always made notes for me, and gave me copies of my reports. Because of Christmas holidays, unfortunately, it took forever to get the pathology results….I think it was mid Jan to get initial results, and late Jan to find out that my nodes were clear. Caro - I was IDC stage 1, grade 1 and didn't do chemo or rads, so hoping the same for you. I went off work end of Nov (was having a tough time with anxiety between diagnosis and surgery) and went back to work middle of February.

My experience with Dr Chadwick and the nurses at the breast health centre was really great. They were so compassionate,  caring and comforting. I hope you have the same experience.

• micheleboots
    Options

Mich-M, good to see you here...it's been a while since I've seen you about.  You doing good?

• Kyta
    Options

Hi Michele. I'm doing well. Still going through reconstruction (started Nov 2010), had some problems, and finally have an exchange surgery date in Jan 2012. How are you? I think I read at some point that you were going to have reconstruction with Dr. G. Is it DIEP? Have you had it yet?

• micheleboots
    Options

Mich, not yet.  I have an appt. with him next week..I have already seen Dr Rockwell for her input.  I'll keep you posted.  Who did you go with?

• Kyta
    Options

Dr Rockwell and have no regrets….I quite like her and have heard good things about her work from BS and onco. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Caro - how are you doing? 

• caro46
    Options

Hi Mich_M,

I am doing ok I guess... I have been pretty stressed out with other stuff and am having a hard time sleeping.  I just want the consult with the surgeon and the treatments to start and be over with asap!

• llm005
    Options

Hi everyone.  There's a new breast reconstruction website launced in the last couple of days that Dr. Guay helped set up.  Here's the link:  www.breastreconstructioncanada.ca  May be of interest to you.

Carolyne.  Sorry to hear you're so stressed, but not surprised either -- sounds like you have a lot going on besides the BC, which makes it even harder.  Do you have a date for the consult?  Totally understand wanting to get the train moving.  Once it does, you may start to feel a bit better I hope. 

• Kyta
    Options

Can totally understand that you're stressed out. Finding out you have BC is a pretty hard blow…throw in other life stresses, and it can feel pretty overwhelming. I had a hard time sleeping also, and within a couple of weeks had to ask my GP to prescribe sleeping pills….they helped. Take care of yourself.

• micheleboots
    Options

Carolyn, We know what you are going through.  It really helps to visit this site and chat with others in the same boat as you.  I know that once I had a plan I felt more in controll of this ride.  I remember at my first chemo, thinking "just start the meds already", I want to start kiling some cancer cells.

• Marple
    Marple Member Posts: 10,154
    Options

This facility might be of interest to some in the Ottawa area.

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/life/Life+after+cancer/5623209/story.html?cid=megadrop_story

S.

• micheleboots
    Options

Sharon, I read that as well...exciting.

• maureens
    maureens Member Posts: 8
    Options

Wow!  Shocked to see Ottawa ladies as a topic.  I too live in Ottawa and received my diagnosis almost a month ago and I have a phylloids tumor a rare form of BC.  I have an appointment November 9 with a surgeon Dr Waters (spelling) at the Civic.  How long between the first app't and the surgery date--surgery is the only option I have but at this point of what I have read just whip them off.

dragonfly55--hope you don't have to join.

To all good night and take good care.

• Kyta
    Options

Hi Sharon…nice to 'see you', we haven't chatted in a long time. Hope you are well.

Hello maureens.. sorry you're having to join the BC club. I haven't heard of phylloids tumours before. Does it require the same sort of treatment as IDC or ILC?

• micheleboots
    Options

Maureens, welcome...Glad you are here, sorry you have to be here....I think I might have waited about 1-11/2 months.  I think.  It feels like many years since then.  Yet it has only been two. 

• maureens
    maureens Member Posts: 8
    Options

Thanks for the welcome. 

Mich M the treatment is surgery which is why I'm asking about time frame for surgery after the initial appointment.  Guess I'll know next week for now I bide my time and try not to think crazy thoughts!

Good night

• llm005
    Options

Hi maureens -- Sorry you have to join the club, but you've found a good place.  I had Dr. Watters (two "t"s) as my surgeon.  I just checked my records:   my consult was Jan 24 and my surgery was Feb 10.  I had had quite a delay on my biopsy results, so they may have tried to catch up with a fairly quick surgery date.   Hope this helps.  I know you want to get this show on the road and over with.     

• Kyta
    Options

Hello Ottawa ladies

Hope those newly diagnosed and those who've been around for awhile are doing ok today. Just waiting for the first little visitors to ring the doorbell….I actually kind of hate Hallowe'en. The little ones are cute, but I find there's too many teenagers coming to the door. I've been egg'd a couple of times, so keeping my fingers crossed that the front door is nice and clean tomorrow.

Caro - haven't heard from you in awhile…..how are you doing? 

• caro46
    Options

Hi Mich_M,

I am just riding the wave... Go between ok and anxious.  What I am startng to wonder about is the chances that they find worse than they expected... And also the other tests they do to see if the cancer has spread (I imagine that`s what all the scans do?) I looked around on this site a bit but I find myself lost reading other stories and wondering if that`s going to be me soon.  I know I have to educate myself but not sure where to start, at first I went through all the different things on my biopsy report but I still don`t have a clear idea of exactly what I have, I first thought it was a Stage 0 but I now think it might be stage 1.  Also I get pinching on the breast where I had the biopsy, Is that normal?

Obviously tonight is anxiety night... I should probably try and distract myself.  Thanks for asking tho, I don`t feel as lonely!

Carolyne

• Chili
    Chili Member Posts: 34
    Options

hi Ladies, i've been following your posts, hope everyone is doing well... I'm actually just across the river in Hull, but i figure that's close enough to ottawa right?   nice to read about the new center opening in ottawa for survivors, cool!   So I'm having my own anxiety issues these days...  found another lump in the same breast ( lumpectomy, chemo and rads in 2010) earlier this month,  went back to see the doc on the 20th and going for mammo and ultrasound tomorrow afternoon.  He says feels like a cyst, not to worry, but that is exactly what he said last time, when i started this journey.   I'll be glad to get this checked out so i can stop worrying.. they said 2 weeks for results, but he's out of town the 2nd week, so i have to wait 3 long weeks for results... arrrrgggg.   i'm hoping i can  at least get some idea from the ultrasound tech ..

On top of that, i've been having  abdominal pain for the last 2 months on my whole right side.... saw the onc end of sept, she said if still there in 3 weeks , go see gp.. so i did go see family doc last week, she gave me requisition for a pelvic ultrasound and abdominal ct.. feeling better that i'm finally, hopefully , going to get some answers on that front, but just about cried when i called for the CT appt today to be told they are booking in mid january at the hull hospital !!! WTH..,,, however,  i did think to ask if it was the same at the gatineau hosp.  She checked for me and said they were booking late Nov, so she's gonna send my stuff over there instead.. now i have to wait a couple more days for the paperwork to transfer over,before i can call to make the appt.  I keep telling myself all day, late november is not so bad... just seems like so long already.. that'll be 3 months... with my imagination running wild.... so, anxiety levels are a bit high right now... oh well, one step at a time.. i'll get there .. just needed to vent a little :)   Mid january!!!!   that's a long time.  

on the up side,  the hubby shaved his beard for Movember tonight!!! omg ... so funny .. haven't  seen his top lip in 20 years!!!   My 17 yr old dd keeps saying it's freaking her out!!