Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Ottawa ladies?

Options

Comments

• micheleboots
    micheleboots Member Posts: 885
    Options

Chili, great news..

Yes, snow is on the way...I hate snow.  It wouldn't be to bad if it would only stay on the lawns...Snow on the roads, means idiots on the roads.  People either drive  to slow or to fast...for goodness sakes we are Canadians, we should know how to drove in snow...Ok, Im done my rant.  Did I say I hate snow?

• Kyta
    Kyta Member Posts: 273
    Options

Michele, Caro and Sandi – glad to hear you got together for lunch.  Wish I could have joined you.

Caro – like Dr Lorimer, Dr Chadwick doesn’t seem to be a fan of nipple sparing mastectomies either…..he felt there was too much risk in losing a breast then finding out there were cancer cells lurking in the nipple area. 

Whatashocker3 – I sent you a PM. Welcome….yes, finding out you have BC  is definitely a shocker! There are lots of women on this site that are here to support you.

Red – my husband put our lights up on the weekend too just before the cold weather started.  He’s got a thing though about not turning them on before Dec 1st (we’ve been married 23 years now and I’ve given up figuring out why), so I’ll wait and see how they look then. 

Chili – glad to hear that your test results we’re all good!

I hate snow too!!!!! I’m flying to Toronto tomorrow afternoon for work and have decided to work from home in the morning rather than going to the office so I don’t have to deal with the driving chaos. I’m online right now looking for a trip south early JanuaryCool

• micheleboots
    Options

Mich_M.  sweeet.  Sounds like a great idea to me.

• Whatashocker3
    Whatashocker3 Member Posts: 54
    Options

Hi Michelle, how are you doing? I have recently diagnosed 10/05 with grade 1 with lymph node involvement. I understand this is your diagnosis too? Just wanted to say hello and touchbase with you. It was a wonderful grade but I could of done without the lymph node involvement so I get to do the whole meal deal for treatment. Yuck! How did u feel about that and who was you dr?

• coni
    coni Member Posts: 181
    Options

hi ladies

snow is here...christmas is coming!

• redninrah
    redninrah Member Posts: 366
    Options

Chili- nice to hear ur results are going well :)

• redninrah
    Options

ill tell u ladies something funny, my DH was supposed to put up the lights last weekend, but he chickened out cuz it was so cold (like 4degrees) well now he has to put them up in this cold weather and with snow ! serves him right for being a wimp. LOL

• redninrah
    Options

i just updated my AVATAR, heres me with thicker, blacker and definately more wavy curly hair. I used to have dead straight hair before!

• caro46
    caro46 Member Posts: 78
    Options

Hi wathashocker!

I am just diagnosed as well and 41 yrs old... Just in the process of making a decision re.: Mastectomy vs lumpectomy... and types of mastectomy etc... My brain is mush! I saw the geneticis this morning and I did the bloodwork for the genetic testing even tho my sister tested negative for BRCA... Apparently her tests weren't complete and she should get re-tested if I test positive.  The geneticist I saw this am was really helpfull and I think the next step is to book that mastectomy!   Get it all out asap.. or I'm gonna go crazy!  So much stress and anxiety I feel like I am standing on the edge of a cliff! 

I think I will call and try to meet with the cancer coach again... that was helpfull.

I wish I felt up to christmas stuff but it's very far from my mind! I know I'll have to get in the mood for the kids in a bit.

That's another decision; surgery before or after christmas??  I wouldn't mind some input on this...

Thanks for letting me vent!

Carolyne

• micheleboots
    Options

Carol, Glad to see you made up your mind.  It can be  hard decision for sure.  Will you get the nipple sparing procedure or go for the full on deal?
    Red, love your new picture.  You hair looks so full...

Whatashocker, I had the full deal and don't regret it one bit.  It was, for the most part easy.  Only a few weeks of not feeling well. It went faster than I thought it would.  At least I feel like I gave it my all.  I don't regret any decisions I made.I just wanted cancer out of me for good.  I have two kids at home and I need to be here for them.  I have Dr Cross for radiation and Dr Segal for chemo.  They are great.  Although I havn't heard anything bad about any dr.s.

Yuck to snow....

• caro46
    Options

Michele, If my daughter heard you talking about snow the way you do she would be your sorst enemy!Wink She was outside at 6:30 this morning playing in the snow!!!

Myself, I don't mind it, just the driving is awfull! Took me 1 and 1/2 hour to get to the west end this am!

Good night all!

Carolyne

• caro46
    Options

Michele, I spoke to Dr. Lorimer about the nipple and skin sparing surgery and he wasn't for the nipple part as he feels the nipple is an area that would be likely to get cancer in... I will get the skin sparing tho...

• Whatashocker3
    Options

Michelle was your a grade 1 too? I am wondering as it confuses me how a grade 1 can get to the lymph nodes so easily when a grade 3 may not have penetrated the nodes???? Seems like it would be the opposite. I have Dr Segal as well. Starting the whole process first wk in Dec. Can I ask which of the 3 cycles were the easiest and did you manage to carry on your day to day activities. I know everyone is different but I am curious.

• micheleboots
    Options

What a shock, I had FEC-T..I can't remember what the FEC stands for...never could remember.  The first three rounds were the FEC and It was super easy.  I think I might have been a little bit tired about three days after each chemo.  But it was no worse than feeling like a was up late and needed to have  a little break.  I could have easily worked through it.  The Taxeter was a lot harder on me, but some women find it easy.  It made me feel like I was hit with a MAC truck.  It would last for about 7-10 days.  I think one of the worst thing was the constipation.  I think we all had to deal with that.  I never had a problem in that department until chemo.  But I learned to start taking  the stool softeners a day before chemo and that helped a lot. 

I'll post more later,I have to take my cat to the groomers to have his big-ass butt shaved..

• Kyta
    Options

Caro - I'm surprised your BS didn't talk to you about a surgery date when you met with him. Did he bring it up at all? I had a mastectomy on Dec 11 and was worried about Christmas too.  I ended up buying gift cards for everyone because I just wasn't in the shopping mood. I had Christmas dinner at my house like usual for a big gang, and thankfully with the help from family and friends, it was great. Although I was only 2 weeks post surgery, I was still pretty productive. Mind you once everyone left, I was pooped. I rented dishes/cutlery from Cody's party place to make the clean up easier. 

Very excited…we booked a trip to Cozumel leaving Jan 4th, then when I get back, my surgery to exchange tissue expanders to implants is Jan 17th…can't wait for both! 

• micheleboots
    Options

Mich_M...so beautiful I'm sure...we went to Cancune this spring with some frineds and had a wonderful time.

• Kyta
    Options

Good for you Michele…nice to get away. Cancun, the Mayan Riviera and Cozumel are all great destinations….as are a thousand other destinations when we need a break from our Canadian winters. 

• Time4life
    Time4life Member Posts: 46
    Options

Hi,

I was diagnosed Aug 2010 at age 43. It was a fluke. My GP asked if I wanted to have a baseline mammogram. No history, no lumps, no bumps. Got an urgent call to have a repeat. Another call for the biopsy etc etc. It was such an abrupt and brutal blow to my life. However, life goes on. Having two young teens, there is no time to spend wallowing. Take control, take action.1 year later after surgery, chemo, radiation...all clear. Thank goodness. Congratulations Chili, and to others who have the same good news. Whatashocker, you will get through this. Take control and know that you have all the power to guide your treatment.

I saw Dr Watters, and signed my surgical consent for the second mastectomy. Dr Guay will do the DIEP procedure. Waiting for a date, but told early Feb. Only 6hrs they figure for mastectomy and bilat reconstruction. Wow. Redninrah, I look forward to hearing how yours goes.

Have a Merry Christmas, Happy Hannukah, or special holiday you may celebrate this season. I love Christmastime. So my lights are up, music on. The snow just made it all the better!

• dragonfly55
    dragonfly55 Member Posts: 97
    Options

Ladybug, "I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas" rang through my head as I read the end of your post. "All clear" those words are like gold, especially after the year before. Congratulations.Good luck with your upcoming surgeries and reconstruction.

Chili- Great news on your test reports. One more to go. May that good news keep on coming.

Wishing you good health. Take care of you.

Sandi

• dragonfly55
    Options

Hey ladies!

I just glanced over the last 2 pages. There are so many of you getting a new uplift, alternately known as reconstruction..... Mich, Michele, Red, Ladybug,...

Good luck with all of that. It good that you can bounce info and concerns and support one another. I'll know exactly where to go if I have questions about reconstruction.

Mich, Perfectly timed vacation. Two good things to start off the New Year. When we were on our cruise last year we stopped in Cozumel for the day. If I recall, we went snorkeling and did a bit of shopping. Have fun in the sun!

Wishing you good health.

Sandi

• Whatashocker3
    Options

Ladies I am starting chemo Dec 6 and wonder if anyone else will be in the same group. I figured we could go through the experience together. I thought about ordering the cold caps but my dr was no a fan of them. With this being said I guess I will have to bite the bullet and get "bald" for chrsitmas:(. The kids are not overly assured with this but I guess it will be a life lesson for them. I hate life lessons :p. Please let me know if you will be joining the Christmas bald express:).

• bridetobe
    bridetobe Member Posts: 40
    Options

Hi whatashocker3,

Just posted a PM. I'm in Montreal and I did use the cold caps and was hugely successful. My treatment center is going to start a clinical trial with them so I can refer you to some drs if you'd like. I also know of women doing them in Ontario. You don't have to lose your hair!!! 

• Whatashocker3
    Options

I have just forwarded an email to you. Did your dr's provide an opinion on this subject, mine suggested I could end up with scalp mets. I am also node positive does this make a difference?

• dragonfly55
    Options

This message is coming from Toronto. Going to a Christmas Party at the Weston Harbour Castle. Should be fun.

Michele and Caroline, it was nice to meet you last weekend. Perhaps there will be other opportunities for the "Ottawa Ladies" to get together. There are a lot of treatments and surgeries coming up.

Carolyne, it sounds like you may have decided on your surgery. Were you able to meet with your cancer coach. This is a terrible ordeal - big decisions. Anxiety + Stress = Mush for Brains. I hope this passes soon and you get your surgery date and things keep moving forward. (((Hug)))

Whatashocker

• NannaBaby
    NannaBaby Member Posts: 23
    Options

I completed the Ontario Health Study and got 35 AirMiles.  Plus I thought it was important to do, so they have data on young women with breast cancer...

https://ontariohealthstudy.ca/

• redninrah
    Options

What a shock- my onc is dr segal ain't she great,,

Mine was grade 2 - originally I was told it was grade 3 very aggressive. But later on after reading my own reports I s it said grade 2'

What a beautiful weekend, I'm watching Disney movies with my girls and enjoying a nice glass of red .

• homestar
    homestar Member Posts: 2
    Options

Hi Ottawa ladies and Maureens: Thanks for setting up this OL thread! I just found out a week ago that I have a phyllodes tumour that will require surgery and, potentially, radiation. Am meeting Dec. 9 with a surgeon. Would love to hear from Maureens about how her consultation went. Phyllodes is so rare that I'm grateful to find a sister-in-arms. Courage and best wishes to all!

• caro46
    Options

Hello Ottawa ladies

Tough day today... I am so anxious, thank god for Ativan!  I had a few good days after I made my appointment for the surgery (Dec 16) but today I kept on thinking about what if they find out it's worst than they originally thought, how am I going to feel after surgery, am I crazy to do this before christmas etc... And I have so many questions for the surgeon, will I get an appointment before the surgery or should I ask for one? And how long will I be out of comission?

Dragonfly55 hope youre having fun in To! Mich_M those are good ideas for Christmas... I went out friday am and did lots of x-mas present already and will try to get that done before surgery.  My mom is coming up so I'll have her wrap and decorate. Lots of friends offered help and I just have to try and figure out what I'll need.  Someone will take my puppy for a little while, it's a Jack Russell and he jumps soooo much I'm affraid he'll hurt me...

Thnak you all for the support and I hope soo I can be as supportive as you all are

Good night :)

Carolyne

• micheleboots
    Options

Carol, everything you are feeling in totally normal...The surgery is not as hard as you might think.  Or at least not physically..No pain to speak of....Look at it this way, you will have that cancer out of your body before Christmas.  I suspect your pathology reports might be  a little slow.  But talk to the surgeon and tell him you hope to have them before xmas so you don't have to wait and stress..but don't be surprised if it isn't until new years that you get them. 

• Whatashocker3
    Options

Carol, your feelings are normal. The idea that they may find worse is something we all think about. Should they find something else it is something you will deal with. The surgery for me (one mastectomy) was not a problem. I was sitting in the chair of my hospital room the same day. I thought the bed was for someone sick. Remember they are very good with this thing we have and you will be fine. I am sure you know of women that had this thing years ago and are still fine. My cancer connect lady is 16 yrs without any further issues. You have a young family and together with the people on this web site you will be in a totally different spot. One day at a time.