Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Ottawa ladies?

Options

Comments

• Kyta
    Kyta Member Posts: 273
    Options

Caro - thinking of you and hope you're doing ok…keep in touch.

Speaking of reconstruction, I have surgery Jan 17th to remove my tissue expanders and get implants…finally. Still wishing though that I would have more fully explored DIEP or Tram for the sole selfish reason of getting a free tummy tuck:)

A lunch get together on a weekend would be nice.  

• dragonfly55
    dragonfly55 Member Posts: 97
    Options

Weekend lunch get together??

Who? Where? When?

I'm not good at coordinating these things, but I thought it would be nice to meet you.

. Ideas, help. I am not that familiar with restaurants in Ottawa.

Nov 26 weekend and weekend 1 or 2 (not sure which) in Dec. I'm away. Dragonfly55

Mich_M

Looking forward to meeting you...

• micheleboots
    micheleboots Member Posts: 885
    Options

Count me in for weekend lunch...The Market would be  a good location...

• Kyta
    Options

I suck at social gatherings coordination….hopefully someone will jump in and make it happen. Yes, the market sounds like a good spot.

• Chili
    Chili Member Posts: 34
    Options

a weekend lunch would be nice !   ok, i'll take a stab at getting the ball rolling...

How about Sunday Nov 20th?  I love going to the market.. so many good places to choose from, can't say i've tried all of them, but i know  The Black Tomato is good,  and there's the Heart and Crown..  just to name 2... ...any other restaurant suggestions? in the market or otherwise? 

• caro46
    caro46 Member Posts: 78
    Options

Hi Ladies!

I would be in for Nov 20th anywhere... These days the less decisions I have to make the better!  There are so many things happening with my family and kids other than my BC that I think I better set some time aside to think of me and what I will need in the next few months.  Anyone having to deal with other issues and crisis than their BC? How do you stay saine?

I haven`t heard from Maplesoft yet, I did the online registration before the official opening so I am waiting to hear from them.

I would love to be part of a support group fro younger women! I like to think I am part of the young ones Wink with my 41yrs! 

Thanks all of you awesome women from the Ottawa area!

caro

• Kyta
    Options

Nov 20th sounds good and whatever restaurant chosen is fine with me.

Don't know what else is happening with you Caro but I feel for you. And yes I'm sure many of us were going through other crap at the time. My mother in law was diagnosed with BC a few months before me, and a couple months later was diagnosed with lung cancer (a new primary), and my sister had a lumpectomy just a few weeks before I was diagnosed. She's fine but it was a scary time.

If you want to share what's going on I'm sure you'd find some support here. Take care. 

• dragonfly55
    Options

Nov. 20th is good for me.

Mich_M,, micheleboots, caro46, chili, dragonfly55

Restaurant? Time?

• micheleboots
    Options

not sure if I can make it...but I will try.

• NannaBaby
    NannaBaby Member Posts: 23
    Options

Dragonfly - I am doing ok thank you :) Thanks for asking!

I am having some pain issues in my rib cage... I had recent US and bone scans that were clear.  I see my onc. on Monday to c what's next... maybe a CT is in order.  I have been having the same pain for over 2 months now.  No matter what I do, physical activity, rest, heat, massage, it's always sore and tender to touch.  It is bearable, and I don't take too many pain killers.  I can endure it, but it's really annoying and I hope it's not something that's going to bother me for much longer.

I have been to the Maplesoft center once and it looks great! Lots of free programs, and I'm sure there will be more to  come :)

Holiday lunch is not possible for me... too busy and I'm going to Vancouver for a couple weeks before Christmas :)

Take care ladies and buy a special gift for yourselves from santa ;)

• Kyta
    Options

NannaBaby - glad to hear all went well with your tests and hoping your appt on Monday helps you to figure out what's going on.

• caro46
    Options

Ah! wanna see that centre! What did u go for ? just visiting? Or am i too nosy...

• caro46
    Options

Alaso happyo hear your apt went ok... What are the next setp for your pain?

• NannaBaby
    Options

I went to the center for a drop in support group for young adults. Next steps for the pain? I don't know??

• caro46
    Options

Hello everyone!

Today I am feeling very anxious... I am trying to think about my apt with the surgeon on tuesday, what will I ask? Will I find any new info? And suddenly getting my surgery date doesn't sound as relieving as I thought... One one side I want this show to get on the road but on the other hand I don't want to think about it and start treatment.  I am going to Montreal tomorrow to visit my sister, hopefully it will distract me enough...

Have a good week end!

Caro

• NannaBaby
    Options

Caro - What kind of surgery are you getting?  A mastectomy with node dissection I presume.  I would ask if you will be left with as much skin as possible.  The size of the scar, and how many scars.  Some use a single incision to remove the breast and the 2 axila node levels, and some make 2 incisions.  You would want to know how the incision is closed.  Staples have worse cosmetic results.  I also had a nerve block prior to surgery.  It helps tremendously with post op pain and recovery time.  Especially if you need radiation, because you will have to be able to lift your arm over your head.  If you get the block, you will regain range of movement a lot faster.  That's my opinion/experience and what I was told. Also ask if you will have drains and ask if you can attend the education session held at the ottawa breast health center at the civic.  It was very helpful for me and helped put my mind at ease.  And ask for Ativan to help control anxiety :)

• Whatashocker3
    Whatashocker3 Member Posts: 54
    Options

Has anyone experienced the benefits of the cold cap to reduce hair loss in Canada.

• Kyta
    Options

Caro - do you have your biopsy report? If you can provide us with more info, it might help to come up with questions for you. Do you have 1 tumour or more? What size? If more than 1, are they located nearby each other or in different areas? I think you said grade 1 right?

• caro46
    Options

Hi Mich_M, 

On the biopsy report it says:

Enlarging enhancing mass in UOQ Lt breast. Birads 4B

Infiltrating ductal carcinoma, 4mm lesion composed of ductal cells. Nuclei grade 1. The p63, calponon and DADH2 stains are negative. E cadherin is positive.

Then it describes the specimen.

My family Dr told me that I might have the choice of lumpectomy or mastectomy.  Other than that I don`t know much... looked at some info on this site but often give up before getting to the bottom of things.. Not very brave...  I imagine I`ll find out more details when meeting with the surgeon, does anyone have an idea of the time between consult and surgery? Ithink I already asked... can`t remember.

I do have a supply of Ativan which I am saving for days like today.

Whatashocker3; My sister did the cold cap and I think it helped her, she didn`t loose all her hair and was able to manage without a wig or scarf.

good night all, be safe and happy this week end :)

Caro

• Kyta
    Options

Hi Caro - Well I'm certainly not a Dr, but sounds like you have only the 1 lesion and it's fairly small, and grade 1 means less aggressive. The Dr will have to check your nodes and hopefully they'll be clear. I had a mastectomy because I had 3 lesions located in different areas of the breast so lumpectomy wasn't an option. My nodes were clear though, and I didn't require chemo or radiation, just 5 years of tamoxifen. Relatively speaking, I think I got off easy….hoping the same for you:) Have fun in Montreal and try not to think of this BC stuff.

Re lunch - Just realized that Nov 20th is next weekend (can't believe how fast this month is going). We have a wedding and my daughter is coming home from school for the weekend, so I don't think I can make lunch after all. 

• Chili
    Chili Member Posts: 34
    Options

Hi Caro,  hope you had a nice relaxing and distracted weekend /  I always get so nervous before dr's appts .  Lots of good questions from mich_m ... i  had lumpectomy with a re-excision for better margins and sentinal  node  biopsy so i don't know much about mastecomy.. .. of course everyone's situation is unique, and you'll know more after you see the surgeon about your options.     Silly me, i got so flustered the first time i saw the surgeon,  i forgot to ask what the recovery time was and how much time off work i would need... don't know why, i guess because the way he was talking, it's small, near the surface and easy to get to   etc, etc,   I was expecting a few days.... I was a bit surprised to call af find they recommended 2 weeks.  Which turned out to be about right...  Good luck on tues... try some deep belly breathing  to help calm

perhaps we should try for a different lunch date if this one is not good for people?

re cold caps.. i didn't do cold cap, but i did have cold slippers and mitts for hands and feet when doing taxotere.. i guess to help prevent nail loss and that worked for me.. no problems with nails.

• dragonfly55
    Options

Caro, been thinking of you quite often this weekend. I keep thinking if I hadn't changed BS, i'd be the appointment before you. I can relate to a lot of your thoughts re: appointment. I hope you had a chance to relax and give your mind some rest on the weekend. I hope your appointment goes well (as well as can be expected). Are you taking someone with you? Do you have your questions and a notepad? All the best

T

Nannababy. I was glad to hear your tests were clear. if only your pain would clear. I hope the inc can help to find why you are experiencing the pain. Good luck tomorrow. It would be nice to meet you, maybe next time we get together. Enjoy your trip to Vancouver.

Rethinking lunch:

This is a chance to meet. The more able to go the better, so as Chili suggested maybe look at a new date. Another idea,meeting for dinner during week? Also, restaurant decision? Does anyone have diet restrictions, or food preferences?

Not available weekend Nov. 26 or either 1 or 2 weekend in Dec.(not sure which?)

• micheleboots
    Options

So who is for lunch on the 20th.  It's a Sunday.  How about 1:00 at the Lone Star in the market...

• caro46
    Options

Well... Sounds like many of us have lots going on this coming week end but I could still do lunch. And do it again!

Thanks for the info Mich_M, and everyone else! Montreal was fun and relaxing, I was mostly thinking of my daughter when planning this trip but it turned out to be a good thing for me as well.  I guess as a mom youre happy when your kids are and she was!

I even went down the water slide at the hotel!

Now I think I'm ready for tomorrow, my partner is coming and my mom, who is visiting from Quebec city, would also like to come but she doesn't speak english and I can't see myself translating for her.  So she'll have to wait and hear it from me after my apt. 

What you said Mich_M made me feel much better and so I am going in confident that things will be taken care of and I'll have a plan from then on.  It'll be nice to know a little more in terms of time off etc... I have been holding off taking on new clients since I have my diagnosis and waiting to distribute my responsibilities as well but things are starting to pile up.

Another good thing, my mom is making me some soup and meat pies while I am at work... She also did all of my laundry since she has been over.. (that's a lot with 4 kids and 2 adults)  Laundry is my worst nightmare!

K got to go!

TTYL

Carolyne

• Kyta
    Options

Re lunch on the 20th…Michele - I thought you couldn't make it? If you gals end up going, I'll try to swing it if I can. It would be nice to meet you. Lone Star or Heart & Crown are both fine.

Caro - how nice to have your Mom visiting. Not just to help you with house chores but also great that she's able to go with you to the appt. Even if she can't understand what's being said during the appt, it's nice to have the added moral support.

Let us know how it goes tomorrow. 

• micheleboots
    Options

Yah, I thought the 20th was on Sat.  But it is on Sunday, so it should work for me.  I don't care where. 

• dragonfly55
    Options

Carolyne, How was your appointment? I hope it went well and Dr. Lorimer makes you feel comfortable. There are questions I want to ask, but later. Hope you are able to relax a bit between now and surgery. Take care.

Sunday the 20th is good for me, 1 o'clock works. I haven't been to the Market for years. Where is Lone Star and where do you park? I am flexible for time and where we eat. Looking forward to getting out and meeting you all. Hope the weather will be like today, but I think winter is trying to make an appearance.

Wishing you good health.

Sandi

• caro46
    Options

The appointment wentwell but I guess I was expecting a little more directions... Instead I now have to make a decision between Lumpectomy and mastectomy.. I was just on the phone with my sister to hear her opinion and she says she asked her surgeon about the mastectomy and they told her it wouldn`t make a difference?  What he told me is that getting a mastectomy would bring my chances of having BC again to almost none! And I might not have to have radiations and or chimo.  I am also going to meet with genetics to see if they can find anything on top of testing for BRAC 1 and 2.  I won`t wait for the results but the surgeon says it is worth hearing what they have to say.  Honestly I am very tempted to say just take them out and give me new ones... I`d like to do as much as I can to not go through this again i.e. bring my chances down as much as I can.

Anyone in a similar position?

For this sunday lunch, I`ll be there, Lone star sounds good but how about a Brunch buffet? I know Mother tucker used to have very good Brunches!

Let me know!

Carolyne

• Kyta
    Options

Hi Caro

Did the surgeon say what he recommends re lumpectomy vs mastectomy for your particular situation? What are the next steps? Did he talk about a surgery date or whether he wants you to have other tests? 

• dragonfly55
    Options

Carolyne,

I'm glad your appointment went well. Did you take a list of questions with you? Did he give you info to help you make a decision! Is he sending you for an mri, to double check thing s out!? How long has it been since your biopsy? I think it's a tough decision to make on your own.

I put up a thread in DCIS to get some feedback. Thete are some good responses. My diagnosis is high nuclear grade DCIS, poorly differentiated, comedonecrosis,ER-/PR-,so it is non-invasive asof biopsy Oct. 4.

I noticed you don't have any timeframes written. Do you have another appiontmenr discuss this before scheduling. Did he give possible times? Eg. Mid-Dec, jan.

I'm asking too many questions. Sorry about that. I think it's because I would have been seeing Lorimer today too.

I look forward to meeting you Sunday. I like the idea of a buffet brunch too. Is Mother Tuckerss still around? I'll go with whatever.

Wishing you good health.