Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Ottawa ladies?

Options

Comments

• micheleboots
    micheleboots Member Posts: 885
    Options

Mother Tuckers sounds good to me...

• redninrah
    redninrah Member Posts: 366
    Options

Dragonfly and caro- my surgeon was Lorimer , he is gd :)

• Time4life
    Time4life Member Posts: 46
    Options

Hi, I am in Ottawa. New to this site. I have TNBC with BRCA1+.  I am actually looking to see if anyone has had surgery with Dr Guay. My original mastectomy was with Dr Chadwick. Love him. He was awesome. Referred to Dr Guay for the DIEP. Really liked his presentation. Wanted to have Chadwick be the mastectomy surgeon....apparently they will not work together, ever. So will get Dr Watters or Dr Arnault (they work with Dr Guay).        Any feedback would be great.

• caro46
    caro46 Member Posts: 78
    Options

Hi everyone

I got a call from D Lorimer yesterday to see if I made a decision... I think I want to go with the Mastectomy, my sis also called me back yesterday to tell me she would chose that option if she had a sibling who had 2 BC... I know the mastectomy wouldn't be a cure for this cancer but more prevention but the answer I didn' t get is what are the chances I get bc again with just the Lumpectomy and with the mastectomy? i mean in numbers %...

Next wednesday I am going for a consult with genetics at CHEO and that might help me make a firm desicion.  I am also doing the pre-op education session on tuesday pm.  I am waiting to hear from booking for the bone density and ultrasound so looks like things are moving along finally, now I just have to decide on the surgery and book the date.

Sunday should be fun!

Redninrah, welcome! I liked Dr. Lorimer and am glad to hear you liked him as welll!

• llm005
    llm005 Member Posts: 7
    Options

Hi everyone

I've been off the boards for a bit -- been away for work.  I finished radiation last month and it's SO nice not to have to drive into Ottawa every day!!!!! 

ladybug13.  I'm a BRCA 1 mutation carrier as well.  I had Dr. Chadwick almost 20 years ago for my first lumpectomy; Dr. Watters this time.  Dr. Watters is very quiet and calm and I got the sense from nurses in the hospital that he is quite particular, which is good. 

caro 46.  If you see Eva Tomiak at CHEO Genetics, you'll be in good hands.  She was an oncologist when I first had bc in the early 90s; she went back to school to study genetics.  I found her enormously helpful.   

• coni
    coni Member Posts: 181
    Options

Hi ladies!

Sorry I've been away...just one of those weeks feeling down and frustrated.... Actually considering a good change perhaps ,moving to arnprior, but everyone in my family got all upset about it....I don't think anyone understand what I have gone through....it's very hard to see how everyone else have great jobs, kids, moving forward with their lives and I feel stuck here! I'm sorry but I need to vent this out....I know arnprior is far but I just wanted change...I think what hurts the most is that they only care about how far it will be for them...I knw they want us close to them but for me it's hard to see everyone else have kids and I'll never be able to do that...my parents are great about its just everyone else....

I don't know what to do. In one hand I want to move and screw what ppl think but in the other I don't want them to think I don't care bring far from them and the driving my husband will have to do to work....

For the ladies starting this journey, I'm sorry you ad to join this club but this place is great because we know how we feel we can understand the impact this does to all of us. Our families may see it but cannot get it! We all cope with this differently, I though I was ok but I've been going down hill emotionally don't know why

Thanks for letting me vent out

• dragonfly55
    dragonfly55 Member Posts: 97
    Options

Helio Ottaws Ladies,

We are planning to meet for lunch this weekend:

Sunday, Nov. 20th. 1 p.m.

Mother Tucker's Restaurant on Market

( can someone add address and phone # please)

Please let us know if you are joining us.

Thank you. Looking forward to meeting you.

(I am hoping this is what was decided on. If not, please make changes. I am having trouble with my blackberry so I'm hoping someone with a computer can keep track of replies. I know if you've been away or are new this may be the first time hearing about this. Hope you can come out. Please let know. Thanks)

Sandi

• caro46
    Options

Welcome back Coni!

Do you want to buy a house in Arnprior? Because we have one for sale! lol

Here is the info for Mother Tucker:

61 York Street
    Ottawa/Gatineau
    Tel: (613) 241-6525

I`ll wait till Sathurday to make reservation so please let me know whos coming, Reservation will be under my name (Carolyne)

Looking forward to meet you all!

Caro

• redninrah
    Options

Ladybug- my surgery with him is jan 9th diep

• Kyta
    Kyta Member Posts: 273
    Options

Ladybug -  I also had Dr Chadwick…and yes he is great!! And no, he doesn't much care for Dr Guay. Will you be able to go for lunch on Sunday?

I've gone back over posts to try to figure out who all the Ottawa ladies are…here's a list. Hoping as many as possible can come for lunch. Hope I didn't miss anyone. 

Caro - I can't say for sure if I can come yet but definitely am hoping to be there so put me down as 'tentative, but hopeful'. 

Mich, Redninrah, Caro, Dragonfly (Sandi), Michele, Sharon, Coni, llm005, Ladybug, Chili, NannaBaby, Forever_mummy, maureens

• caro46
    Options

Wow! that would be 12 of us! I might actually make the reservation tomorrow...

Can't wait to meet you all!

• coni
    Options

Caro46- how is arnprior? How bad is the traveling from there into Ottawa? Specially in winter? ... I think that's the only thing that worries me, will be the travelling and gas we will spend lol I'm in stittsville so is like an extra 20 min.... And his family lives in Orleans so that's why they are complaining! And I'm not moving there!!!!

• dragonfly55
    Options

Coni, I live near Arnprior, so I do my groceries and hardware shopping there. It has a movie theatre and a few restaurants, a sports centre and nice park with beach. Fishing, golfing, and skiing aren't far away. I cannot comment on what it's like living in town.

As for the drive. The 417 W is 4-lane right to Arnprior. It's about 1/2 hour to Kanata and 45-50 minutes to Civic, an hour to St. Laurent (give a take a few minutes depending on weather or traffic. There are no street lights past Kanata, all highway driving.

Sunday Brunch at Mother Tuckers.

Nannababy had said she couldn't make lunch (don't know if that changed).

Michele and Chili I think are coming. Sandi and Carolyne - yes. Mich_M - maybe.

I think that is who has replied.

Everyone please let Carolyne know if your coming out for lunch. Thank you.

Sunday Brunch for lunch.....yummm

• redninrah
    Options

I wt be able to make it, my hubby travels for work and he is leaving Sunday for trinidad for 3 days. I also have to take my daughter to a birthday party that day.

If anyone wants to meet me for lunch in Bayshore next week 12:30 pm on a Tuesday or Thursday - I wud be up for it.

Sorry I work odd times and on Saturdays and so on Sunday's I really like to spend time with my daughters.

Have fun girls on Sunday and one day I will meet u all :)

• redninrah
    Options

Oh and if anyone needs an eye exam , I am an optometrist, I know chemo does alter your eyes and can have some effect on your vision. I will be more than happy to give advise .

Take care ladies

• coni
    Options

Nin thanks! I still have to come see ya!:)

Dragonfly55 thanks! We went Im in love with this house on Arthur rd. it's from the same builder that built our hometown they are great, waiting on our real state agent to see if is good to invest there like of is easy to sell the house and of the value of the house will go up, cause someone was like" move there if u wanna loose money on the house if u r prepared to loose money then buy there!" really pissed me off but at the same time scared a bit lol. I think I just want a change u know, I need to love out of my house just brings back bad memories..

The other thing that bugs me is the traveling, but I love that house is kind of like my dream home! If only I could pick it up and move it somewhere else lol

• Time4life
    Time4life Member Posts: 46
    Options

redninrah- thankyou for the invite. I hope your surgery goes well.

Mich_M - I met with Dr Chadwick yesterday. He gave the impression that he is not confident with this new procedure by anyone in Ottawa. Likes the tried and true implants. At least he referred me to Dr Watters...who also works with Dr Guay. I would really like to have the DIEP, now starting to second guess it. So confusing. I really do not want implants, and not a candidate for the muscle flaps. I see Dr Watters next week.

I hope you all have a great lunch tomorrow. I reserve my weekends for family time. My husband works all week trying to cover my loss of income. I have no benefits while off from work, so just get CPP.  Anyhow, thanks for the comments.

• NannaBaby
    NannaBaby Member Posts: 23
    Options

My BS is Dr. Chadwick as well.  Awesome doc! He didn't like the DIEP idea for me either...  Even tho I had radiation, he thinks implants would be the least invasive.  Which makes huge sense to me!  A tummy tuck would be nice, but I don't want a huge scar on my belly.  I like my belly.  It's giggly, but flat-ish.  I wouldn't mind having scars on my back tho... If I need more skin, I would consider the back flap technique along with an implant.

I would love to join you ladies for brunch, but I need to get ready to go to Vancouver.  Shopping for gifts... I am going to Vancouver next week sometime, still have to change my ticket.  I was going Dec. 2 but now my sister wants me there sooner.

CONI - come live in the south end :) Lots of room for dogs and less expensive houses :) Easy commute, barely any traffic!

• coni
    Options

Nanny baby lol kk I'll see if I can find something there !

• micheleboots
    Options

So just want to make sure....Mother Tuckers at 1:00.  I hope to make it on time.  Save me a seat.

• Chili
    Chili Member Posts: 34
    Options

Hi,   I don't think i'll be able to make lunch today.. family obligations.. but have a great time!.  

• dragonfly55
    Options

Mother Tuckers at 1. I'll be there.

• caro46
    Options

Mother Tucker at 1 Ill be there

• micheleboots
    Options

Sorry some of you ladies coldn't make it..It was nice to put a face to Carol and Sandi..perhaps next time.

• micheleboots
    Options

Where is everyone....

• caro46
    Options

I'm here! lol... Spoke to Dr. Lorimer this am about the Nipple and skin sparing surgery and he's not too much for it.  He's being very helpfull in explaining everything tho.  Anyone had this done? If so what was your experience?

• Whatashocker3
    Whatashocker3 Member Posts: 54
    Options

I was in ottawa today to have my first consult with the oncologist. After bring diagnosed on 10/05 I do feel it has been a long time to get to this point. I am 44 and didn't really see anyone within that age group at the General. I am expecting to start chemo in a couple of weeks and would love to chat with others in my age group walking down the same path. Is anyone out there????

• micheleboots
    Options

Whatashock...been down that path, and I'm 45.  Some of us on this thread have been there and some are going through it.  We are here for ya.

• redninrah
    Options

Hello ladies,just thought I'd pop in and say hi. It's getting cold....has anyone else put up their Xmas lights yet?

• Chili
    Chili Member Posts: 34
    Options

Hi,  well, i started this path at 46 so, not too far off the mark.   good luck with everything Whatashock.. this is a great place to gather info and unload.   

DH put up the xmas lights on the weekend.. should even get some snow tonight to make them look nice. :)

So had my follow-up  appt today...  results from mammo and ultrasound and bone-scan all good ! yay!    I figured as much, the doc at breast ultrasound had already indicated  it looked good, the rest i wasn't sure, but still think i was a bit nervous this morning...  One more test to go ( abdominal CT on Dec 6 to figure out what's going on with right side abdominal pain.. pelvic ultrasound came back normal as well, so can rule out a couple things there, whew.. still i would really, really like to know what's going on once and for all)  Anyway, after that hoping for a nice break from tests and dr's appts... at least for another 3 months at least. 

hope everyone is well.