Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Ottawa ladies?

Options

Comments

• Eluned
    Eluned Member Posts: 4
    Options

Hey everyone,

I'm currently part of the 6 month club and had a breast MRI on Friday night.  Next Wednesday I go see Dr. Watters again for a follow up and compare the MRI results to the last one.  Any changes and I will be having an excisional biopsy (I've already had a core biopsy, an MRI guided vaccum biopsy that showed FET (flat epithelial atypia) and multiple papillomas.)

deep breath.  I hate the waiting.

• Kyta
    Kyta Member Posts: 273
    Options

Bridetobe - Hi there and welcome to our Montreal sister.

Homestar - I hope Maureens chimes in and if not, you should PM her. Good luck.

Caro - Dec 16th…won't be long now. Trust me (and others on this site) that the worst part is the waiting before surgery. Once you have surgery you at least feel like you're doing something to deal with the problem. Try to manage your expectations about when you'll receive pathology results from surgery. My surgery date was Dec 11th and I didn't get results until about the 3rd week in January.

Ladybug - I agree with you that it's huge blow when you're first diagnosed….for me it was like a surreal experience that I hope to never experience again. But like you said, once the shock dies down, you take control of the situation, figure out next steps, deal with it, then continue making plans for the rest of your life. I hope all goes well with the DIEP surgery…very exciting!!!

Dragonfly - Is your appt with the BS this week? Hope your TO party went well.

Whatashocker - good luck with chemo. I didn't have chemo so can't give you any advice but wish you well. 

Hello red and others from the Ottawa area.

Not much new with me, other than today is my daughter's 21st bday. This is her first bday that we haven't been with her to celebrate….she had a great weekend with her boyfriend and their friends but I miss her. 

• micheleboots
    micheleboots Member Posts: 885
    Options

Mich-M, they grow up fast...my son is graduating this year...wow.

• homestar
    homestar Member Posts: 2
    Options

Thanks for the tip, Mich_M. In all the posts I've read, I haven't heard any of the ladies mention post-surgical pain from bs. And yet, I read that nearly half of all women who go through bs develop chronic pain. Does anyone have an experience to share about this? It's something that has really been weighing on me since I learned that I would need surgery.

• micheleboots
    Options

Homestar, I have not experienced any of this.  Be sure to do your exercises after your surgery, it does really help.

• Kyta
    Options

Homestar - I haven't had post-surgical chronic pain either and agree with Michele about doing the exercises.

Yes Michele they do grow up fast. Does your son know what he wants to do next year? My daughter is graduating in April from Queens U. Can't believe it. She's probably going to move to Toronto when she's done school so I'm trying to come to grips with that…I miss her.

How's everyone doing? Caro and Dragonfly…how are you? 

• dragonfly55
    dragonfly55 Member Posts: 97
    Options

Hello,

Well it looks like my last post didn't post. I hate my blackberry.

Nannababy, Hope your flight went well. Have fun in Vancouver.

Whatashocker- Good luck with your chemo this week. Hope you were able to get the info you wanted on cold caps. Take care.

Eluned- May this MRI be the same as the last.

Mich - I remember the first time I missed celebrating my son's birthday... It's Pow - he's grown-up. My son's in Winnipeg. I'm glad she had a good birthday, but I'm sure she missed celebrating with you. I agree with Michele and you that kids grow up fast... One bonus to them growing up is you could become a Nana.. My grandchildren are 3, 2, and 5 months. (probably mentioned this as I've been with them since Monday)

Carolyne, How are you doing? Two weeks until your surgery. That's coming up quick. Wishing you all the best with that. It sounds like you have some good supportive friends. Have you and your Mom done all the Christmas shopping and decorating? How are the kids doing? Take good care of you.

Wishing everyone good health.

• dragonfly55
    Options

I had a good time in TO last Saturday. I was dressed up in my holiday finest, enjoyed lots of delicious food and danced the night away. Tomorrow morning, I take my grandkids to our community Christmas Party. They are 2 & 3, should be fun.

Well, saw the BS. At the end of my 1 3/4 hour appointment, I was told I would be scheduled for MRI (Dec.9) and see BS again (Dec.19). I should have had an MRI after my biopsy, but it got missed. I expect my next BS appointment will be short.

I am nervous of the MRI. I don't do too well in confined spaces or louder noises. How long is an MRI?

Any advice?

• micheleboots
    Options

Don't stress to much about the MRI.  I too hate those types of things.  They are good about keeping you calm.  My guy walked me through the whole thing.  every time the noise was changing he would give me a heads up and let me know how long it would be.  It broke it up into smaller increments and it didn't seem long at all.  I think it took about 40 minutes.  Just pretend you are at the spa.  The most expensive spa you have ever been to...breath in...breath out... 

• redninrah
    redninrah Member Posts: 366
    Options

Dragonfly- im claustophobic..so i was really nervous. But it wasnt bad. The lady told me it would be loud, just different sounds going off one after another. I was given the option to listen to a radio so i could block out the loud noise. I heard the radio and the loud noise and it was just too much for me. It took 30mins, its doable, no pain, just i tried to relax, but was hard to with that loud noise.

• redninrah
    redninrah Member Posts: 366
    Options

Ladies- avoid the malls, i am working in BAyshore, and its crazy today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• dragonfly55
    Options

Michele, good suggestion. Next Friday, I am going to the most expensive spa, and I am taking you all with me. Ah, relaxing in the MRI. Red, if you can do it being claustrophobic, then so can I. I still have to figure out the sound thing. Note to self, no radio. What does the sound of the MRI remind you of.

Note: back to short entries, losing posts.

• dragonfly55
    Options

Keep your fingers crossed that I don't have to have another biopsy. When BS mentionedthat I might have another one depending on MRI, my body cringed. It must remember when the mammo got stuck. That poor boobette still aches.

• dragonfly55
    Options

I got home from the community Children's Christmas Party a short time ago, and I'm tired Nana, as Mickey (2) says. The kids made Christmas trees, got their faces painted, danced to Junkyard Symphony, did their Christmas shopping and saw Santa (Mickey was big time scared of Santa). They had a lot of fun. I couldn't keep that pace.. I'm either getting old or I'm out shape. Next year, they'll be older, so I'll get a rest. It's nice to be able to do this with the munckins.

Take care everyone, especially over this festive time of the year.

• micheleboots
    Options

Dragonfly, the noise isn't to bad.  No worse than a hair dryer in your ear.  Get your tech to tell you how long each time will take.  It breaks it up nicley. 

Went to our first Christmas party of the season...I had 1 1/2 drinks and I feel crappy-headachey  this morning...can I blame that on chemo do you think...It couldn't be age could it...

• caro46
    caro46 Member Posts: 78
    Options

Hello Ladies!

Dragonfly, I hated the MRI as well... The one I had at the General was by far the one I found the hardest and I think what makes the difference is the staff... As Michele said when they brake it down and tell you how long it will last it's a lot more bearable. So where are you at with everything? Do you have a better idea about what the next steps will be after MRI is done?

I met with the cancer coach today and it helped a lot to just go over the next few weeks and know a bit more what to expect. Has anyone else been to the Maplesoft center? It's very nice and they have a lot of usefull resources. 

I'm trying to stay calm and do as much as I can before next friday so far so good... Lots to do this week, my daughter just reminded methat we have to do the treats for the teachers this week (They are at their dads next week), take them to do their shopping etc... I really thought they had school the week before christmas but they don't! Thank god my mom's coming...

Alrighty... be well everyone

Carolyne

• Kyta
    Options

Hi all

Dragonfly - How nice that you have grandkids around to keep you company and yes I'm sure you're a bit tired but sounds like you love every minute….and I"m sure they're a good distraction for you right now. Re the MRI, I also had a great tech that talked to me often and I had the radio to distract me a bit. I got through it, but barely. I started to have a panic attack near the end and was trying so hard not to freak out (breathing exercises and visualizing beach scenes, etc). They give you a ball-type object that you can squeeze if you absolutely need them to stop…I really thought about squeezing it but my hand that was supposed to be holding it was completely numb/asleep and I couldn't move my fingers to save my life, which only added to my anxiety. I thought twice before posting this because I don't mean to worry you….most people get through it no problem. If I had to do it again (which I won't due to having had a BMX) I would take a lorazopam (sp?) to help calm me. Also, there can be some false positives with MRI so try to prepare for this. They found an area of concern on my 'good side' that required a biopsy, but the results ended up fine….just delayed my surgery a bit.

Hi Caro - no I haven't been to the Maplesoft centre but it sounds wonderful. We're very lucky to have this type of support available in Ottawa. Good to hear that you met with a cancer coach….what a great concept. Keeping busy before surgery is a great distraction and yes thank God you'll have your mom with you the week after surgery to help with the kids. I'm sorry if I missed an earlier post Caro, but don't recall what surgery you decided on….are you doing the lumpectomy or mx? 

• dragonfly55
    Options

I'm sitting on the couch readng this thread and it's like playing on a team. Encouraging, support, suggestions cheer, feelings, and daily life chat, including next day headache :-)

Thanks for the extra details on the MRI. I think I'm better grounded now. My feelings towards all of this now is.... Just get 'er done....

Michele, I'll ask tech, re: image time/ change. I got a chuckle reading your 2nd paragraph.... not an age thing :-) hope you had a great time!

Does this sound bad.. I hope not... It is comforting knowing others are nervous of MRI and how to get through it.

Carolyne, They are just checking to see if anything was missed in either breast.. Hoping it's okay and I won't have another biopsy. My appointment with BS is Dec. 19. I've been meaning to go to Maplesoft Centre, since we went for lunch. Having a cancer coach, sounds beneficiai. I'll try and get there tomorrow. it sounds like you'll be keeping busy for the next week. It's good your mom's coming down.

Take care.

<b

• dragonfly55
    Options

Mich, My grandkids bring me a lot of joy. They can brighten a grey day and/or drive you crazy :-) I'm glad you posted your MRi experience. I see my GP Thursday. I think I'll say about getting some ativan.Thank you.

Red, I was at Bayshore today. Has that mall ever changed. I've got to go back one more day this week.

I think the sandman has just visited.... Off to the Land of Nod.

Wishing you good heath. Take care of you.

Sandi

• micheleboots
    Options

Sandi, your not bad in  feeling the comfort of others in the same boat as you.  I feel that way too sometimes.  Just knowing that it is something that others are dealing with as well, makes us not feel so alone.

I have to check out this new Maplesoft center..sounds great.

• caro46
    Options

Hello ladies...

Having a good day at work today, for once I'm not feeling like a crazy woman and able to take care of work and prepare for my leave. I'll feel so much better knowing work is all taken care of. 

Mich-M; I decided to do the BMX, On dec 16th I'm having the left one done and later on they'll do the other side and reconstruction in one shot.  It's a drastic measure but that's what I feel comfortable with, I don't want to live with the fear of the cancer coming back or a new one.  My sister (had BC X2) told me that if she had the family history when she was diagnosed she would have done the double mastectomy and that really helped me make the decision... Then talking to the genetics made my choice very clear.

Now I'll have to deal with the reality of losing my breast but from what I hear from you ladies who have been there it is doable! 

I'm meeting with my BS tomorrow to make sure he's comfortable doing the skin sparing mastetcomy and to get a bit more details on the surgery.  I never had surgery before so the going to sleep is making me a bit nervous...

• Kyta
    Options

Hi Caro - I also had a uni mx after diagnosis, then 1 year later had the other removed along with reconstruction. I can totally understand your decision and glad you're comfortable with it. Yes it is doable, not easy, but you'll get through it fine. While losing a breast doesn't have the same physical impact as losing a limb, it does have an emotional impact. You'll have some sad days but it will get better. If there's a thread with women having mastectomies in Dec I'd encourage you to join in…it helps to talk to other women who are going through the same thing at the same time. I also supposedly had skin sparing, but frankly, I was small breasted so really didn't notice that it made a difference….I was pretty flat after surgery.

Sandi - no of course it doesn't sound bad….this discussion board is meant to put people together who have had similar experiences so that folks can support, and learn from, one another. When I was first diagnosed and felt like the world was coming to an end, I was able to calm down and get perspective largely due to this site. I've been sticking around mostly because I want to give back by sharing my experience and supporting others who are newly diagnosed.   

• dragonfly55
    Options

Caro - I think about you often, probably because we originally had the same BS and meeting date. It's good to hear that you have made a decision, re: surgery, that you are comfortable with. (sounds strange saying that. We're given choices, but then, the decision is one we HAVE to make, no choice there). Hope you had a good appointment with BS. I am heading to Maplesoft now. Hope I don't get lost.

• caro46
    Options

Dragonfly55: How was the maplesoft centre?

Thanks Mich_M for your insight.  I met with my BS today to get some details about the surgery and it really helped... even tho he was very late, 1 and a half hour! He patiently went over the details and answer my questions so now I have a better idea what`s coming.  You had to wait a year? Did you have to have Chimo? He told me that if I didn`t need Chemo I would most likely have the other Mastectomy and rconstruction done in the next 6 months after first surgery.  I hope he`s right, that would mean I would look ok for next summer!  I never had to worry about covering up or about what I look like before and it`s a bit strange for me to be self concious about my appearance.` He thinks I should have the pathology results before xmas... If it`s good news it`ll be a nice present if not well.... I`ll have to deal with it!

Good night all!

• micheleboots
    Options

Hello everyone...Carol, I know it is a bit sucky to have to wait for so long to see the doc.  But I never mind waiting.  I figure someone before me has a lot of questions and it is comforting knowing that when I have a lot to talk about I won't be pushed out the door.  Which day is your surgery?

How was Maplesoft.  I keep meaning to go, but never find the time...are they open on the weekends?

• caro46
    Options

Hi Michele! Yes I totally agree with you about having to wait for the dr... Some women were really upset in the waiting area but honnestly I didn't mind all that much for myself, just for the rest of my family having to wait for me to have my partner's b-day dinner.  It's amazing how teenagers can become resourcefull when they have to! My daughter made the whole dinner on her own and all was ready when I got home!

Here is the link for the Maplesoft center:  http://www.ottawacancer.ca/en/cancer-survivorship-centre/about-the-centre.aspx Look at the variety of services they offer and all that is free and very easy access! I'm not sure about week ends but I know they have things going on on evenings...

• Kyta
    Options

Hi Caro - no I didn't do chemo. I had a uni mx in Dec 2009 and surgeon said they like to wait about a year for reconstruction. In Jan 2010, I told the BS that I wanted a referral to a PS sooner than later, so he referred me and I saw the plastic surgeon in April 2010. After meeting with the PS I told her that I wanted to think about reconstruction options and would call back for another appt. I saw her next in June when I committed to having the other breast removed and having tissue expanders placed in both. Her office coordinated with the BS office and I had the mx and reconstruction in Nov 2010. So yes, it was 11 months from the original mx surgery after diagnosis, but a few months of the delay was due to me taking time to think about what I wanted to do with regards to reconstruction.

Sandi - hoping the MRI goes well tomorrow:) 

• micheleboots
    Options

Sandi, thinking nice calming thought for you....remember you are at a wonderful spa.....

• dragonfly55
    Options

Mich, Thank you for "sticking around" these boards. Your explanations and insight (to quote Caro) is helping me. My doctor gave me an ativan.

Michele, I'm relaxing this morning before my appointment at the "spa"

I'm taking you all with me to the spa. I plan to read this thread again at lunch.

I have to be at Civic for 3:50 and my MRI is at 4:20.

At 6 I'll be driving out to Perth for a" cruise". (surprise 40th b-day party). We dress in cruise wear and each food/drink station is a different port. Should be fun.

• dragonfly55
    Options

Carolyne, I bet your partner's birthday dinner was delicious. Your daughter gave all of you a present.

Sounds like you're ready for next week. It's so helpful to know what to expect and have had your questions answers. It sounds like not having chemo makes a 6 month difference in recon timeframe. Getting path results before Christmas a good plan. (we're always waiting for a long time here). May it all be good!