Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Jewish Warrior Sisters

Options

Comments

• Jtrosesav
    Jtrosesav Member Posts: 13
    edited September 2013
    Options

Aviva, Rachel and Josgirl, thanks so much for responding and sharing. Rachel, I would love to be added to the Mishabarach list. I believe strongly in the power of prayer. Do I give you my Hebrew name?

I went to synagogue today and it felt good to hear the rabbi's sermon. It was about Hashem being concealed and us seeing more and more of him even though concealed, seeing and feeling his hand in all our lives. It was good also to hear the shofar and read the prayers and also the kind words so many had for me to see me back the first time since my surgery only 11 days ago. It shifted me to thinking more positively (drains out so soon...no node involvement) and also being here in the now. You ever notice that our worrying takes us out of the present moment so we lose this moment worrying about losing future moments? Ironic, huh? Anyway, glad to find this board and be among friends with two common bonds. Best wishes to all of you strong women!

• rachelvk
    rachelvk Member Posts: 564
    edited September 2013
    Options

Jacquie - Yes, just give me your Hebrew name and your mother's.

That's an interesting observation about losing moments thinking about losing more. Long after you recover physically, the mind needs its own recovery time and process. And this is a great group of women to help with that.

• Jtrosesav
    Jtrosesav Member Posts: 13
    edited September 2013
    Options

Yael bat Miryam. How are you doing, Rachel, since treatment ended? Have you participated in any walks?

• rachelvk
    edited September 2013
    Options

Overall I've been doing fine. My hair is back, thicker and curlier than ever, and I'm likely to have my first haircut this weekend. I still feel as though I'm not back 100% physically - I just get worn down a little more easily, and I've always been a person on-the-go. But I feel good, and with the exception of some elevated alkaline phosphatase levels that have now returned to normal, all my tests have come back fine. So I just keep looking ahead.

I did Relay for Life the past 2 years. Not sure if I'll do something in October.

I always ask women who have had bmx - are you getting physical therapy? If not (even if they gave you a list of exercises to do), I strongly recommend you line up some visits. It really gets you moving in good ways that will help you adjust to the TEs and eventually to the implants. I actually went all the way through chemo, and then again for a few months after my permanent implants were put in. I got lazy with the home exercises, but it was good going to see someone every week or two.

I'll add your name to the list now.

• ablydec
    ablydec Member Posts: 36
    edited September 2013
    Options

All of you who are about to start chemo now (or might be)... I am thinking of you!  Around this time last year, during the "aseres yemei teshuva" (days between Rosh Hashana and Yom Kippur) I was waiting for biopsy, diagnosis (ultimately 2a).  I remember how frightening it can be (especially when my first lumpectomy didn't get clear margins, when I realized I would need mastectomy and chemo etc.).   Looking ahead to a lot of hard treatment.  But somehow, thank G-d, now it's a year later, and I can look back and say, "Hey, I did it."  I give you all blessings that by this time next year you will be able to look back, not as patients but as survivors, and look forward to a new year of health!  G'mar chassima tova!

• Leah_S
    Leah_S Member Posts: 1,929
    edited September 2013
    Options

G'mar Chatima Tova to all here.

To the new ladies who have joined this thread, I pray for good health for you, for tolerable treatments, and for no further need for treatments when you've finished. I will add all your names to my list.

I will also ask that everyone who has their name in the Misheberach thread to please update. If you're still in treatment then we pray for "refuah shleimah", complete healing both physical and spiritual. If you have completed treatment then we pray "to remain healthy". For all who have completed treatment, I would love to be able to pray that you remain healthy for many many years.

We way Sefer Tehillim (Book of Psalms) here on our moshav every week. I am adding all your names to the list of those we say it for, both for those in treatment and for those after treatment.

Leah bat Sarah

• rachelvk
    edited September 2013
    Options

Leah - I suppose I should take my name off since I'm done with treatment, but mentally, I'm still left with the big question mark - is it really gone? But I suppose taking it off is a step in the right direction.

Anyone who wants me to take their name off, just let me know.

• karen1956
    karen1956 Member Posts: 4,527
    edited September 2013
    Options

I think I want my name left on to pray for continued health......I see my onc on Thursday for my 6 month check up and I'm started to get anxious for the appt......

Leah...you are always on my mishaberach list in shul.....I need to take everyone's names with me, but I remember your name as my daughter is Leah and my mother is Sarah....

I'm dreading Yom Kippur.....just thinking about Yiskor service has me ready for tears...this is the first time that I won't be walking out of for th Yiskor service....it is going on 4 months since my father was nifter....

Welcome to the new gals.....glad you found us, but wish you didn't have too!!!  May everyone have an easy and meaningful fast.  Karen

• pessa
    pessa Member Posts: 137
    edited September 2013
    Options

I believe that you don't start saying Yiskor until a year after the death, as you are theoretically still saying kaddish.  Maybe ask your rabbi.

• rachelvk
    edited September 2013
    Options

An east fast for all who are fasting this Yom Kippur - may we all be inscribed in the Book of Life. I think we've all earned it.

• karen1956
    edited September 2013
    Options

Pessa....there are a couple customs regarding when you start going to Yiskor....I checked with the reference my Rabbi gave me when my father passed away and it said yes to Yiskor during the 1st year......As hard as it will be, I don't feel right not going to Yiskor..but thanks for your help with this....My Mom is coming to Kol Nidre and Yom Kippur morning services...it is very different being in shul with Mom as I haven't gone to shul with my mother (or she hasn't gone with me) on the yom tovim since I was in college....she came on RH as well....

Rachel..I echo your sentiments...

Wishing everyone an easy and meaningful fast....and may we all nerit to be sealed in the book for life.....Karen

• JoanQuilts
    JoanQuilts Member Posts: 265
    edited September 2013
    Options

A happy and HEALTHY New Year to my breastcancer.org mishpucha.

• antonia1
    antonia1 Member Posts: 73
    edited September 2013
    Options

Happy and healthy New Year to all Jewish Warrior Sisters.

• antonia1
    edited September 2013
    Options

Just finished my endoscopy and talked with my doctor. Good news is that he thinks it is only stomach inflammation and doesn't think there are any mets.

Took some staff for biopsy, but doesn't think there is anything to worry about. I am so relieved.

• ablydec
    ablydec Member Posts: 36
    edited September 2013
    Options

That is such good news, Antonia.  Sukkot is "the time of our rejoicing", and now we have that much more to be happy about!

• rachelvk
    edited September 2013
    Options

Antonia - Good news. Time to relax a little.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 942
    edited September 2013
    Options

I visited this thread many months ago when first diagnosed. I'm a Christian with a heart for Israel and the Jewish people. I've been a member of CharismaLife Ministries for 11 years. I was first drawn there, because I'd heard about this pastor's great love for the Jewish people.

Our church's vision is to help the Jews. We don't try to convert them. We help them to make Aliya. In less than a year, our small congregation has helped 4 families to make Aliya. Actually the last wasn't a family, but two 18 year old girls who are going straight into the IDF.

We are learning about the feasts, and this past Sunday we had the pleasure of having an orthodox rabbi, speak in our morning worship service. I know how rare this is, but he understands our partnering with the Jews, and has become friends with our pastor. Rabbi Tuly made Aliya from Columbus Ohio 2 years ago.

So on Sunday, in the middle of Sukkot, he brought in the willow, myrtle, & palm branches, and the etrog for us to enjoy. We marched around waving them to G-D while our pastor read aloud from Leviticus 23:39-42.

Before the service started I had gone to Pastor David, & Rabbi Tuly to ask them to bless me at the end of the service.

At the end of the service Rabbi Tuly said, this is my gift to you and handed me the branches & etrog. Then he spoke blessings over me.

Not knowing Jewish custom, I hugged him! I didn't know until Wednsday night Bible study that it just isn't done.

Ladies, how badly did I screw up?

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,900
    edited September 2013
    Options

I wouldn't worry about it too much. If the rabbi agreed to speak at a Christian church, he would probably be quite forgiving about something like this. I'm very reformed so this wouldn't be an issue for us but I did attend an orthodox synagogue when I was growing up.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 942
    edited September 2013
    Options

exbrnexgrl~~Thanks for replying. I just wouldn't want to do anything to offend anyone. He was very gracious about it, and of course, didn't do or say anything to embarrass me.

He told us that if anyone had told him 2 years ago that there were Christians standing with Israel as we do, he would never have believed them.

Shalom

• JoanQuilts
    JoanQuilts Member Posts: 265
    edited October 2013
    Options

I came across a display of Streits matzoh in the A&P today - pink, with the inscription Breast Cancer Awareness across the box. I looked on the box, the display and, later when I got home, on the Streits website to see if the company was contributing anything from the sale of such boxes "to the cause" but found NOTHING. Needless to say, I shot off an email to the company inquiring what their intentions are. It would be a shonda if they were trying to profit off of something that affects our people so disproportionately. Beware Pinktober ladies.

• exbrnxgrl
    edited October 2013
    Options

Oy! Was the matzoh dyed pink:) Seriously, the tentacles of the pink octopus are very far reaching.

• MmeJ
    MmeJ Member Posts: 22
    edited October 2013
    Options
    The wrapping on the boxes of Streits kosher l'pesach matzos is also pink. Guess they didn't have to retool much.

(First post on this thread. Hello, ladies and, perhaps, gentlemen).
  • karen1956
    edited October 2013
    Options

Welcome MmeJ

I never buy matzo except for Pesach so had no clue about the pink boxes...so annoying!!!! wonder if we wrote streits!!

• exbrnxgrl
    edited October 2013
    Options

The children at the local JCC preschool baked pink challah for Shabbos last Friday and everyone at the JCC is supposed to wear pink each Friday this month.

• rachelvk
    edited October 2013
    Options

I saw pink-wrapped matzoh after Passover and had a hard time not throwing up in the middle of the aisle. Sigh. Let me know what you hear back from them! Maybe a donation to FORCE or Sharsheret....?

MmeJ - Welcome to the thread! Where in MN are you from? I just was in Minneapolis and Northfield for my brother's wedding. I really liked the area.

• karen1956
    edited October 2013
    Options

Think I'm going to write Streits....saw the pkg today when I was in the grocery store....think I won't buy Streits come Pesach.

I'm a regular donor to Sharsheret.

• karen1956
    edited October 2013
    Options

I just sent an email to Streits. I'll let you know if/when I hear back from them.

• karen1956
    edited October 2013
    Options

This is the email response I got to the email I sent last night.... I questioned their motivation for the box and that there was no indication of donations to any charity. I mentioned bco and Sharsheret as two very worthy causes that would be worthy of a generous donation....I did mention that I was a survivor.....

My cousin, one of the owners of the company, is a breast cancer survivor. My wife's best friend died from it. We support breast cancer awareness and are donating money to the American Cancer Society as part of the campaign

• MmeJ
    MmeJ Member Posts: 22
    edited October 2013
    Options
    karen1956, thanks for writing to them and replying back. A donation to ACS is fine by me. I don't want to have to start eating Manny's. :-)

rachelvk, I appreciate the welcome and am glad you enjoyed your time here. I'm sure you've heard the winter horror stories; they are all true. I am an urban girl - live in St. Paul and work in Minneapolis. Northfield is a lovely college town and the perfect distance from the metro area for a nice Sunday drive, lunch, and walk around.
  • antonia1
    edited October 2013
    Options

Soteria, when I was in treatment, I accepted everybody's prayers and blessing and they all made me feel better. I had people praying for me in places as far flanged as a Church in Hawaii and a church in India, also, a lady who came to help me every two weeks used to put her hands over my head and say prayers, I think Catholic, in Spanish. And here, we are all saying prayers for each other.

I am not a very religious person, or rather not practicing, and yet I firmly believe that prayers and truly good wishes help. I will add you to my prayers too.