Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Jewish Warrior Sisters

Options

Comments

• FairyDogMother
    FairyDogMother Member Posts: 154
    edited December 2016
    Options

Happy Chanukah

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,804
    edited December 2016
    Options

Miles is enjoying his first Chanukah!

• karen1956
    karen1956 Member Posts: 4,514
    edited March 2017
    Options

Chag Purim Sameach

• chisandy
    chisandy Member Posts: 11,294
    edited March 2017
    Options

You too. Too bad we can't follow the mitzvah to get so plastered we can't tell Mordechai from Haman--guess we'll leave that to the guys.

• I am jonesing for the kind of hamantashen I had as a Brooklyn kid: big, soft yeast dough, glazed with egg. All I can find here are the kind made with cookie dough--and the poppy seed filling is too smooth. Was a bit disconcerting to walk into the same bakery that had paฤki and King cakes for Fat Tuesday and see apricot hamantashen today!
  • pessa
    pessa Member Posts: 137
    edited March 2017
    Options

Happy Purim

• exbrnxgrl
    edited March 2017
    Options

I wish I could be happier this Purim. Both the JCC that my daughter used to work at and the JCC that my son in law worked at have received bomb threats and had to be evacuated on the last two weeks. This would be the Osher Family JCC in Palo Alto, CA and the Addison Penzak JCC in Los Gatos, CA. I am, literally, sickened by the ugliness of rising anti-Semitism and frightened as well. Neither work for JCC's at present, but they still have many, many friends there and feel deeply connected to the community. This is almost unimaginable. Can someone please pass the hamantaschen (prune, please)?

• karen1956
    edited March 2017
    Options

Sandy, I make my hamentashen. Have for over 35 years. This year I made poppy, chocolate chip , jam, and honey nut fillings. Yummy dough recipe like my late grandmother used to make

• chisandy
    edited March 2017
    Options

The day school in our neighborhood Reform temple (where we belong) got a bomb threat a couple of days ago. If Islamic terrorists were responsible, churches would also have been targetedโ€ฆwhich they weren't, but mosques were. It's the alt-right being increasingly emboldened to commit acts of bigotry in general and anti-Semitism in particular without consequence, as a result of their chosen candidate winning. (More specific than that I cannot be on this particular thread).

• Chloesmom
    Chloesmom Member Posts: 626
    edited March 2017
    Options

York PA JCC had one last week. It is next door to our temple. So very upsetting

I love apricot, but am on a ketogenic diet trying to drop the letrozole weight. Might just have to cheat once

Happy holiday all! Have fun.

Hugs, Susan

• pessa
    edited March 2017
    Options

The one suspect that has been arrested so far for some of the JCC bomb threats and ADL office bomb threat is a known left-wing former journalist. This is a fact. Please do not accuse Trump supporters without facts to back you up.

• exbrnxgrl
    edited March 2017
    Options

i am not accusing Trump supporters. i am, however, convinced that the "permission" to express racist, anti-Semitic and anti- immigrant views in overt, and dangerous ways is a direct result of Trump's attitudes and views. That others may be using this, even if they don't share Trump's views, as an excuse for their own sick purposes is even worse.

• anothernycgirl
    anothernycgirl Member Posts: 821
    edited March 2017
    Options

exbrnxgrl, - I agree with you!

(from another exBronxgirl! Winking)

• chisandy
    edited March 2017
    Options

And this ex-Brooklyn girl agrees as well!

• Chloesmom
    edited March 2017
    Options

ne more in agreement. Instiling "fear of the other"

• exbrnxgrl
    edited September 2017
    Options

it's been very quiet on this thread but I wanted to wish a Shana Tova to all and you had an easy fast

• ksusan
    ksusan Member Posts: 461
    edited October 2017
    Options

L'shana tova! Easy fast.

• Chloesmom
    edited October 2017
    Options

wishing you all a a happy and HEALTHY!

• anothernycgirl
    anothernycgirl Member Posts: 821
    edited October 2017
    Options

Wishing you, and yours, a happy and healthy new year !

• woodstock99
    woodstock99 Member Posts: 80
    edited October 2017
    Options

May You Be Inscribed and Sealed in The Book of Life for a Good Year.

• karen1956
    edited October 2017
    Options

Shana Tova! I haven't been on bco much. My DD and SIL were here for a week for Sukkot. They left this morning. It was to have them here. I'm one proud mama!! My youngest daughter (19) made aliyah in May before her gap year ended. She was in the states for 2 months this summer, working at camp back east and visit her sister and grandmother. She went back to Israel the end of August and now is doing her national service. Next year, university.

Here's to a great 5778 for everyone. Karen

• HollyDollyD
    HollyDollyD Member Posts: 26
    edited January 2018
    Options

Hi ladies - I just found this thread!

Hooray. It's good to have a place to share.

Did you know we have some specifically Jewish resources here: http://sharsheret.org/

I was thinking.....maybe we could post our Hebrew names for a davening list for a refuah sheleimah? What do you think?

I'll start us off.... ืฉืจื” ืฉื•ืœืžื™ืช ื‘ึผึทืช ืฉืจื”

• pessa
    edited January 2018
    Options

Welcome! nice idea. I think we may have done that at some point, but likely have new people. My name is

Devora Pessa bat Chava

• exbrnxgrl
    edited January 2018
    Options

Welcome, hollydolly!

I do recall listing our Hebrew names some time ago. This thread goes through periods of activity and inactivity. Mine is Liba Shana. An early Shabbat Shalom to you all (or Gut Shabbos in the Yiddish tradition)

• woodstock99
    woodstock99 Member Posts: 80
    edited January 2018
    Options

Miriam. 2 years NED today (1/12/16). Headed to Florida to visit my 89 year old mom in assisted living. โค๏ธ๐Ÿ–

• pessa
    edited January 2018
    Options

wonderful news.

Shabbat shalom

• karen1956
    edited January 2018
    Options

Mom passed away in the early morning hours of Thursday January 18th. We had the levaya that afternoon. I had the privilege of being with Mom the last 4 days of her life and my husband and I were at Mom's apt with her when she passed away. Karen

• thereisnodespair
    thereisnodespair Member Posts: 98
    edited January 2018
    Options

ื‘"ื”

"ื”ืžืงื•ื ื™ื ื—ื ืื•ืชืš/ืืชื›ื ื‘ืชื•ืš ืฉืืจ ืื‘ืœื™ ืฆื™ื•ืŸ ื•ื™ืจื•ืฉืœื™ื ื•ืœื ืชื•ืกื™ืฃ ืœื“ืื‘ื” ืขื•ื“"

all my love, gita

• ABeautifulSunset
    ABeautifulSunset Member Posts: 600
    edited January 2018
    Options

Karen, Iโ€™m sorry to hear of your momโ€™s passing. May her memory always be a blessing.

Holly, I am Sora Yassa bat Nissan.

Stefanie

• pessa
    edited January 2018
    Options

Baruch Dayan Haemet

• jelson
    jelson Member Posts: 622
    edited January 2018
    Options

Hello! Have any of you had hereditary genetic testing done? I just got my results and found that I am 96.4% "Ashkenazi Jewish" with .7% Nigerian, 1% Engllish and 1.7% Central Asian. Both my parents were Jewish, my mom from Lithuania/Latvia and my dad from Poland/Russia. I already knew I am a Tay Sachs carrier, but I do not believe I carry either BRACA gene. I was just surprised at how homogeneous I am. Both my children are adopted, one from Brasil, the other from Mexico and their genetic backgrounds are much more diverse. Have any of you done this type of hereditary testing and are my results unusual?

Julie