Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Jewish Warrior Sisters

Options

Comments

• ABeautifulSunset
    ABeautifulSunset Member Posts: 600
    edited January 2018
    Options

Julia,

I’m a purebread too. 98% Ashkenazi from Eastern Europe (basically Russia). So I’m thinking.... how boring am I? I spent 100 bucks to find out how boring my genetics are. LOL.

Also, I am not a Tay Sachs carrier and I dont have the BRCA gene...but here I am anyway.

More Interesting to be a mutt, but I’m proud of my heritage.

Stefanie

• Chloesmom
    Chloesmom Member Posts: 626
    edited February 2018
    Options

my name is Hanna Miriam bat Sarah

Susan

• karen1956
    karen1956 Member Posts: 4,514
    edited February 2018
    Options

The only genetic testing I've done is the BRCA testing when I was diagnosed and a couple years ago the new 32 panel.

Made hamentashen tonight - poppy (canned Solo filling) and honey nut (home made recipe). Older DD expects me to mail her a package of cookies - so of course I will do. - can never tell how long it will take to arrive as she is in Canada and has to go through customs. Younger DD is making them on Wednesday as she has the day off - too pricey to mail them to Israel.

Have a good Purim.

• rachelvk
    rachelvk Member Posts: 564
    edited March 2018
    Options

Hello everyone. I haven't checked in for a long time. I am doing well - six years post-chemo now. I'm almost on top of Passover cleaning (at least I've been clearing out the food pantry). Welcome to all of the women who have joined recently. Glad you found us. I had started a misheberach thread a while back - I'll check it and bump it, in case any one wants to add their names.

Thinking of all of you - sad to see some of the sad news, but it's good to see how well some of you are doing as well. Chag Pesach Sameach.

• pessa
    pessa Member Posts: 137
    edited March 2018
    Options

Chag sameach

• karen1956
    edited March 2018
    Options

I will have a full house for Pesach. DD#2 arrived last evening from Jlem and is here for 2 weeks. I saw here over my winter break but DH and DD hadn’t seen each other since she left in August. DD#1 and SIL arrive tomorrow for 10 days. My son lives here. It’s the first time in a couple years since all the kids have all been here for Peasach or any Yom Tov.

Wishing everyone a wonderful Pesach. Kare

• anothernycgirl
    anothernycgirl Member Posts: 821
    edited September 2018
    Options

L'Shanah Tovah !

May your dipped apples bring a sweet and HEALTHY new year to you, and yours!!

Hugs from NYC to all here!

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,804
    edited September 2018
    Options

Shanah Tova! May you have a sweet, happy New Year. My 2 1/2 year old grandson start going to pre-school at our local Jewish Community Center. He came home yesterday and was very excited about dipping apples in honey (and decided that should be his dinner 😂)

• karen1956
    edited September 2018
    Options

Shana Tova. Wishing all a happy and healthy year. My youngest daughter has been in America for 3 weeks....1 more week to enjoy her before she goes back to Israel. Older daughter was here a few weeks ago and it was so nice to have all 3 kids together...we did the unveiling for my mother. Older daughter and SIL will be her for 1st days of Sukkot. Son lives here.

Busy day tomorrow...time to cook and clean....so far, the only thing I've done is make my menu and grocery shop.

Karen

• pessa
    edited September 2018
    Options

shana tova. A healthy and happy year to all

• LoveFromPhilly
    LoveFromPhilly Member Posts: 1,019
    edited September 2018
    Options

La’ Shana Tovah! We are having two nights of yummy dinner in a row!! So much great challah and brisket, yum!!!!

Safe, sweet, healthy and happy new year everyone!

Brenda

• rachelvk
    edited July 2019
    Options

Hello ladies. I don't check in that often but I'm glad to see your posts. I thought you might want to know that I am starting cantorial studies in August. I used to think about becoming a rabbi, but I've done so much service leading, and especially now I'm interested in chaplaincy and pastoral care that I decided it's time.

• salamandra
    salamandra Member Posts: 736
    edited July 2019
    Options

I hadn't seen this thread before and am happy to see it! That's exciting rachelvk! Where will you be studying?

I wonder if anyone knows about, has been to, or might be interested in coming to the National Havurah Institute at the end of July? I'll be there, and have been involved for a while, and I'd love to connect with other BCO folks.

One Jew-y question I'm low key wrangling - I went on the misheberach list when I was diagnosed. I'm done with active treatment now, so was thinking of going off. But oh the tamoxifen side effects are a struggle! It still feels pretty damn 'active' to me. On the other hand, in theory the cancer is pretty much out of my body and I'm out of the woods at least for now. It's just a matter of sending an email. Thoughts?

• pessa
    edited July 2019
    Options

Salamandra, Welcome. Glad to hear you are done with treatment other than tamoxifen. Hope you continue NED. No thoughts on the mishabarach list, but you are still going through treatment with side effects so you might want to stay on the list......

Rachelvk, nice that you are starting such a new and fulfilling undertaking. Wishing you much maze and success.

• rachelvk
    edited August 2019
    Options

Salamandra - I only check in once in a while so I just saw this. It's totally up to you about how long to stay on a Misheberach list. Dealing with the side effects is tough, but there is something reassuring in celebrating that the cancer is out of your system. I stayed on for a few months after chemo ended, and then I did a gomel blessing. And that's been it.

I officially was accepted into the program at the Academy for Jewish Religion (Passa - I forgot I had already mentioned it on this thread earlier!) I took a class last week, and start my first official trimester (part-time) in September.

• exbrnxgrl
    edited August 2019
    Options

Good to hear from you, Rache. I wish you lots of “naches” with your studies

• exbrnxgrl
    edited September 2019
    Options

L'Shana Tova! Miles, now 3 1/2, sings it best 😍

Sorry, but I can't seem to post the video . As Miles says, “Shana Tova, umetuka, have a happy, sweet New Year.

• anothernycgirl
    edited September 2019
    Options

To all here,

May you welcome in a year of good health, happiness, laughter and love!

• karen1956
    edited September 2019
    Options

It's been a hard end to 5779. My MIL was in the hospital and rehab in late June and July for a couple weeks with cellulitis. Then on August 8th she fractured her hip and then it was one thing after an hour. She endured 3 surgeries in 2 weeks then MRSA and other health concerns. She passed away last Sunday August 22. The funeral was on the 23rd. My husband just got up from Shiva this morning. We were blessed to be with my MIL during her last days. My DH spend several weeks over the summer with her mother and I was there 2 different week-ends, plus the last week. She was 91+ and till she got sick in June, she lived independently in her own home. She was an amazing lady - strong, independent and loved by all.

L'Shana Tova. Wishing everyone good health and happiness in the coming year. Karen

• voraciousreader
    voraciousreader Member Posts: 3,696
    edited September 2019
    Options

lost my 93+ year old mother last November. Great woman. Until the last ten months of her life, she lived in her own home, semi-independent. So far, she has had two great granddaughters named for her. She will not be soon forgotten...

Happy New Year, dear sisters

• pessa
    edited October 2019
    Options

L’shana Tova to all.

Wishing everyone good health.

• kayak2
    kayak2 Member Posts: 9,028
    edited April 2020
    Options

https://labshul.org/event/the-downtown-seder-2020/

FYI - Just became aware of this - seder webcast at 6 tonight (2 days) before Passover).

• karen1956
    edited April 2020
    Options

Wishing everyone a healthy Pesach. DH had quintuple bypass surgery on March 11th- Thank G-d he didn't have a heart attack or worse. He is recovering nicely. Everyone stay safe and stay healthy.

• voraciousreader
    edited April 2020
    Options

karen....wishing you and all of our beloved sisters and everyone's families a happy and healthy Pesach.

A few years back, DH also had by-pass. Doing great! Every day, week, month and year...a blessing

• exbrnxgrl
    edited September 2021
    Options

This thread has been very, very quiet but I wanted to wish all of you a joyful Rosh Hashanah! I am going very non-traditional this year. I have been feeling very confined since the pandemic started. I retired in June, from teaching, but have been cautious about travel so haven’t left my county. I have rented a beach cottage near Santa Barbara this week. I plan on a good mix of physical activity (going out to the Channel Islands) and staring at the ocean for calming and peaceful meditation. I just need new scenery for the new year. Shana Tova to all!

• pessa
    edited September 2021
    Options

Wishing all a happy new year, with good health. Shana Tova.

• anothernycgirl
    edited September 2021
    Options

L'Shanah Tovah to all here!

Exbxgirl, best wishes on your retirement! Enjoy the week away. It sounds wonderful!

• exbrnxgrl
    edited September 2021
    Options

Thank you, anothernycGirl! I am not an ex bx girl. I am an exbrnxgrl . Born and raised in the Bronx, ventured all the way to Queens for college but I have lived in CA for over 30 years.

• voraciousreader
    edited September 2021
    Options

l’shana tova!

gonna be a sweet new year! Expecting another grandchild! Should be so much fun

• karen1956
    edited September 2021
    Options

All the best for a happy and healthy year. 5782 should see a decrease in Covid and an increase in living life.