Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Canadians in British Columbia

Options

Comments

• Tazzy
    Tazzy Member Posts: 1,442
    edited September 2012
    Options

Hi Marian... ha ha ha!   I do type fast - approx 80wpm... I was a secretary for years and have always worked in an office - so typing for me is just something I do.    As for being a quick thinker... depends on how much chemo brain is winning Wink

Yay... fire is 95% contained... thank goodness for all the firefighters and forestry peeps who work on it.  

Dont you just love skype.   My parents and sister are in the UK and skype just brings us so close.

• She
    She Member Posts: 131
    edited September 2012
    Options

lol Tazzy, back in the dark ages I could type 110wpm on a manual typewriter!  Only because I played piano...  now I'd be afraid to time myself, I spend more time backspacing than going forward lol.  Happy to hear the fires are under control.

Marian, happy to hear that your bruises are beginning to fade.  Isn't skype great!  My work takes me far, for long periods and it's wonderful not to have to pay huge phone bills to keep in touch with family, friends and my office.

We could all PM each other our skype info and have a conference call! 

It's half-past dark here and dinner time ...   I'll check in later to see if Ossa has heard from Cat.

• Ossa
    Ossa Member Posts: 685
    edited September 2012
    Options

hi all

Marian.. glad to hear your group is growing.. so is ours.. donations are trickling in..

Skype... LOVE IT.. my family is in Norway and we skype often.. great seeing my great niece growing up..

Have not heard from Cat yet. will let you know as soon as i do, sent her a message on Facebook

Tazzy.. glad the fire is almost out,, now to watch for flareups..

Cher.. where are you?

She..hope you had a good dinner...

• FeelingtheMagic
    FeelingtheMagic Member Posts: 103
    edited September 2012
    Options

Hello British Columbia Gals!  I can't believe I only just found this page for British Columbians.

When I first signed up to this site in the spring this year, I had 'bc' in my user name.. until I realized it was the initials for breast cancer. Quickly changed because I didn't want that attached to my name! Seems strange to have to spell out Brit....Colu... on this site though, huh?

I live in Kamloops (was raised in Vancouver, also lived in Penticton and Prince George)  Currently on round 4 of chemo.. two more to go, then continued herceptin, then likely tamoxifen. Diagnosis is in a .1% rare category, so am glad Dr. Gilman from Vancouver was consulted. Otherwise am being treated in Kamloops.

I've only 'scanned' this.. for now just wanting to say Hello, and it does feel nice to connect with others from our kick butt gorgeous home province... and I noticed one in California who wishes she was still here. ~smile~  See? People from BC.. flexible and lovely.

Wishing all of us great health and great fun.

• Ossa
    edited September 2012
    Options

welcome feelingthe magic.. sorry you have to be here but glad you found us,, here you will be wrapped in comfort as we truly know how you feel, you are welcome to scream, laugh, cry, when you have a meltdown we will be here to pick you back up, as I am sure you will join us to do for others.

Cat came through surgery well, she took some painkillers and went to bed. She will update us later

I have a busy week coming up.. Tomorrow (Friday) I have to go for yet another Muga scan =( Getting tired of them and when the teck know you by name you know you have been there a lot.. Have to have a Muga every six weeks until further notice... yay meYell Monday I am seeing my cardiologist.. should be interesting.. Been on  heart meds. three and a half months now ( oh did I say thanks Herceptin) Then seeing oncologist on Tuesday and physio on Wednesday... all this while getting ready for inventory at work.. Hope I don't get a call from PS for my fatgrafting surgery on top of all this...

Ooohh ouch that sounded like a lot of whining.. sorry. feeling crabby and headachy tonight so I think I will head to bed.. Five am come around early

• cathy67
    cathy67 Member Posts: 411
    edited September 2012
    Options

So sad to hear the news about suz45. She also lived in richmond, R.I.P..

Hope technology moves much much faster, to save more lives.

• gumshoe
    gumshoe Member Posts: 59
    edited September 2012
    Options

Left-coaster checking in here! Very busy at work, so haven't had time to do anything other than scan the boards.

She, hope you're feeling a bit better, or at least the beer has properly redistributed the LE.

Cat -- I see that your surgery went well (via Ossa). Great news! Hope you're feeling better soon! 

Marian -- Enjoy your shower. Funny how we take them for granted until we can't have one. I am just now (after two months) able to shower instead of "bathe".  

Ossa, Good luck with the scan and the cardiologist appt. It's so hard to remember a time when we didn't have so many appointments all the time. I never know whether I'm coming or going these days. 

Welcome, FeelingTheMagic! I always write "B.C." to get around all of that -- I refuse to let this stupid disease take the place of the province! Kamloops is beautiful.

• bearcub
    bearcub Member Posts: 59
    edited September 2012
    Options

I cannot believe I missed this British Columbia thread.

I wanted to give my condolences to Suz45's family, she just seems so happy and content, a huge loss. I would have liked to meet her.

I recognize a lot of names on here, I am from Prince George, just did my first round of AC 11 days ago. 4 more rounds then rads and Herceptin and Tamoxifen for 5 years.

Tazzy I hope the fire in under control, I heard tonight another one started not sure if it is close to you.

Feeling the magic when did you live in P.G....Kamloops is a nice place to be, my brother and his family live there.

Marion I also read the SN thread, wow it freaked me out about having that dye also. It barely hurt, mind you they stuck me halfway up the breast not in the nipple so that may be why mine didn't hurt. Sure hope the path results are great!

• Ossa
    edited September 2012
    Options

Morning ladies

Just a quick check in...Bearcub you asked on the other thread about my Muga and Herceptin.. Yup it is all because of herceptin I have to have Muga's every six weeks as well as the cardiologist.. but remember only a few people get these side effect.. I trust you will get through it with nothing  I am one of the few that had pretty much all the side effects listed both with chemo and rads, but ultimately I am still here.. Must be the viking blood in me Wink..I see you live outside PG are you in Bear creek? That would be about the right time frame... DH is a hunter and is in that area every year, I have been there a few times.

Cher good to "see"you again

Gumshoe have fun with your mom today.. sounds like you are in for a memorable daySmile

Tazzy hear the fire is out. yay you can breathe easy... well other than the smoke in the air...

Cat Rest and get stronger,, remember we have the run?walk Sept 30

Off to work I go..(work a couple of hrs. before my Muga) Have a fantastic day hope you all get to enjoy the sunnshine

• Tazzy
    Tazzy Member Posts: 1,442
    edited September 2012
    Options

Good morning Cool

Yay... fire out in Peachland.... now one in Keremeos which is a couple of hours from here...but valley is smoked in.   Think they have a handle on this one too.

Welcome feelingthemagic.  I am in Glenrosa, Westbank.   Have really good friends in Sorrento, close to you.

Hello to everyone and hoping you enjoy the sunshine today.

• bearcub
    edited September 2012
    Options

Ossa, I get nervous about Herceptin more than anything, My brother died of heart disease at 37 so I sure hope my heart can handle it. I trust they will keep an eye out for me. I always thought being a redhead(before it turned gray, lol) that I had Viking blood but its Irish...still feel tough like a Viking! Ossa could you travel abroad when you are on Herceptin, we want to head down the coast of the US in the RV next May to take 2 grand kids to Disneyland with our daughter? We did it in 2008 with 3 other grand kids and had a blast.

I am not as far north as Bear Lake, I am in Salmon Valley, you turn right as soon as you come off the blue bridge north 26 km. of PG. Your DH may remember the bridge as it is quite narrow.

I think the hunters will be out soon, I see a lot of people on ATV in camouflage gear with rifles in our area.

We are supposed to have sun right through until Sept 25 th woohoo.....I love a sunny fall day!

• Ossa
    edited September 2012
    Options

Bearcub. They will keep a close eye on you during Herceptin treatments. Like i said my reachtion is not the normal. I am being watched closely as we have a lot of heart issues in our family as well. Nice to hear you are a fellow redhead. Or like you said used to be. My hair came back very light strawberry blond. Not sure if i like it.

Sitting at Abbotsford hosp right now waiting for my muga. Just had my radioactive injecton done. Glad i have my phone to keep me busy. Forgot my book

• marianelizabeth
    marianelizabeth Member Posts: 1,156
    edited September 2012
    Options

Ossa, what is a MUGA? I know I could look it up but I bet you could do it better. Bearcub, that SNB injection was such a little prick but guess what, I still have some numbness and and fleeting pains in the middle of my left hand where the nurse tried very painfully and unsuccessfully to get the IV in. I have had lots of IV's in my life but that one was the worst and she was a recovery room/preop nurse! Thankfully she did not try for the only vein left and the anesthetist did it first try and no pain. OK, good news is that I had a great shower today and better even is that after my shower I went to my first post op physio appt. I had an appt last Friday but surgery got in the way and my son took it. Of course LE was big on my mind but he was great; went slowly and carefully through the whole area, checking all the muscles and especially the nerves and is very happy with how the surgery went. He spent the rest of the time gently working with my shoulder and all the rest of the area. He will refer me to a colleague who does LE massage in a few weeks just for a couple of massages but will handle my physio LE needs himself as he knows all about it. He takes it very seriously. Also we are going to visit him and his family this weekend to see their chicken coop as my DH is going to build one for us. Can't wait for real eggs and as I said on the IDC thread, I don't care if they are not good for me! Another beautiufl fall day and my cousin in law is bringing me lunch and then we are going for a 5 k walk to and from the Fraser River.

CoolMarian 

• Sneakychiquita
    Sneakychiquita Member Posts: 110
    edited September 2012
    Options

Marian - Who is your physiotherapist?  I'm hoping to find someone who knows a lot about recovering from mastectomies and preventing LE.  It sounds like you're doing relatively well and getting to enjoy some of this fabulous weather we're having.  I've been camping for the last week and a half, hence my disappearance from the boards.  

My UMX with SNB is scheduled for Sep 24th and I just received a call from my surgeon's office saying that my MRI showed an abnormal lymph node that they'd like to biopsy before the surgery.  I guess they want to ensure that the suspicious looking node is examined, just in case it isn't included in the SNB procedure.  But if the biopsy shows the cancer has spread to that lymph node will they want to take out all my nodes or will they just remove that one and proceed with the next treatment?  Yes, I want the cancer out of me, but I really don't want them to be screwing around my lymph nodes.  LE is probably my biggest fear in terms of side effects. Anyone else been in a similar situation? On the bright side, my other breast looked normal with the MRI.  

• She
    She Member Posts: 131
    edited September 2012
    Options

Happy Friday Everyone!

Ossa, thanks for the update on Cat.  Just reading about your schedule made me want a nap! 

Cat, rest and heal.

Gumshoe, hope you have a lovely day, and don't overdo it at work!

Marian you're sounding great.  Your PT sounds like a keeper.  I used to raise chickens when I lived in Whonnock.

Welcome Bearcub, I used to live about 6 hours west of you!  Lol I've lived in a lot of places ...

Welcome Sneaky Chiquita!  If your node bx comes back positive they may do an axillary dissection instead of the SNB.  I think how many nodes are removed differs from surgeon to surgeon and what they see when they're in there.  Ask your surgeon when you go in for your pre-op appointment.  I know you don't want your nodes messed with, but finding out how far it has advanced is a higher priority even tho it sux.    Having said all that, there are numerous reasons why nodes look abnormal and they aren't all cancer related.  Sorry you have to 'wait and see'.  It's definitely one of the more stressful parts of having bc.

Cher, good to see you!  I sure hope those bugs are all dead and stay that way.

Cathy how are you doing?

It's great to see so many of us engaged in our tx, educating ourselves and being our own advocates.  I started this journey back when women would say 'Oh I don't know what type it is, I just let my doctor look after me and I don't need (or want) to know anything'.  We truly have come a long way!  But gaak I feel old lol.

• whaevah
    whaevah Member Posts: 282
    edited September 2012
    Options

Another beautiful day hereSmile

Welcome Feelingthemagic and anyone I missed.

Happy Friday, enjoy the weekend! For those of us in active treatment, let's hope for minimum SE's.

A speedy recovery for those new surgeries and everyone else...*waves*

• cat61
    cat61 Member Posts: 53
    edited September 2012
    Options

Hi everyone ! Sorry I didn't let you all know yesterday about my surgery but it went great. Ossa and Heidi and a few others that at the moment escape me, as I am very hi right now,Tongue out but it did go much better than the mastectomy.

I felt a hundred times better this time after surgery and of course the movement is much more (arm wise) but don't worry I am taking it easy.Smile 

The pressure strap is a bit of a pain but compared to the drain I had at mastectomy its a jewel . Anyway thank you all for your kind words and I love the feathers flying it is funny.

i cant wait till the walk at the end of the month, I just need to get some of my um so called family to donate Undecided I have to be a bit more aggressive!!!

Anyway I am feeling a bit sleepy so I will talk to all of you wonderfull ladies later.

Oh when is everyone meeting , I would love to meet everyone who is meeting up. Please let me know when and were and I will be there with bells on Surprised 

• marianelizabeth
    edited September 2012
    Options

Sneakychiquita, glad you went camping with our awesome weather. Where? Paolo Borignon, owner of Salus Physiotherapy on W. 8th at Burrard. He has been a lifesaver for over two years and not only that has an amazing personality. He said today he treats lots of us. It is a 3 month wait thus the reason I am booked ahead so far but worth the wait for sure. Our whole family sees his now for diffferent reasons. 604-8PHYSIO.

Let's hope that node will be part of the SNB. But you should have "The Intelligent Patient Guide To Breast Cancer" we all get when diagnosed, right? On pages 112-114 they talk about SNB and dissection. A large surgical study in 2011 found that if one of two positive nodes were found but had no further surgery and similar cancer control, survival was same. I paraphrased that but have a look. I have it highlighted as very nervous about two of the nodes last Friday looking "pearly" as the surgeon described. Also she found a second lump 1 cm from first totally unexpected as she did not see it on the ultrasound. Looks like more seen on MRI's.

I did walk my 5 k to the Fraser R and so nice out! Now off to a yin yoga class though not cycling there yet!

CoolMarian 

• Ossa
    edited September 2012
    Options

Marian.. Cpoied from Wikipedia.. A MUGA scan (Multi Gated Acquisition Scan) is a time-proven nuclear medicine test designed to evaluate the function of the right and left ventricles of the heart, thus allowing informed diagnostic intervention in heart failure. It is also called radionuclide angiography, or gated blood pool imaging, as well as SYMA (SYnchronized Multigated Acquisition) scan. This modality uniquely provides a cine image of the beating heart, and allows the interpreter to determine the efficiency of the individual heart valves and chambers. MUGA/Cine scanning represents a robust adjunct to the now more common echocardiogram. Mathematics regarding acquisition of Q is well served by both of these methods as well as other inexpensive models supporting ejection fraction as a product of the heart/myocardium in systole.is a heart fraction scan

Normal fractions are 50-75% Mine started out at 64% dropped slowly then took a big 11% drop, thats when they started keeping a closer eye on me. When I was at 48% I was on Herceptin break for a few months, went back to herceptin for two treatments, but started getting palpitations againYell.. Herceptin is a target drug used if you are Her2+ it is called a miracle drug, but does have the potential side effect of some heart damage.. I'll take the heart damage as the alternative is not an option

Cat glad to hear you are feeling a bit better, must be some good drugs you are on as Heidi is not on here, .. (another survivor at our work)Tongue out

• FeelingtheMagic
    edited September 2012
    Options

Bearcub, I lived in Prince George in the 70's.. still have family there. hmm, I wonder who we both know in this world that is so much smaller than we think!

Speaking of muga scans. I had my second one yesterday. I also have suddenly swollen feet, so a call to doc today... just in case this was something that needed immediate attention. (can be a heart related symptom) What was very cool to learn from him, is that my muga scan results are 'stellar'... even better than the first round!  Felt very good to hear that because as many of you know.. that herceptin has us paying attention to our hearts. The swelling? uncertain.. likely another 'chemo quirk;.. but serious possibilities ruled out. 

Enjoying 'getting to know you' all here. Feel like I've walked into a party and am milling about saying Hello.  Would be great if it were a different reason we're here, but it's a rare thing that actually can create such 'kindrednss' so quickly.

A dear friend/ relative just got her results from double mastectomy yesterday. She'll be doing radiation, chemo, and further testing to see if spread. I actually found all of you, as I was looking for 'spaces' I can share with her, that she may be comfortable. I'll tell her about this group. 

And tonight I had a 'past life' journey with a woman introduced to me who had breast cancer 13 years ago and is doing fabulously...(the past life journey was fascinating)  Truly, thank goodness for each of us who reach out and support each other. 

Hope you all get to do what feels good this weekend.. whether reading a kick butt book if you're needing rest, or hiking a mountain if that's what works for you!

• bearcub
    edited September 2012
    Options

Boy us British Columbia girls have some strange connections.lol...well FeelingtheMagic did you attend school here in the seventies?..Too funny. Glad your heart is doing marvelous...Herceptin is scaring me more than chemo and radiation does...but like Ossa says....what is the option!...I guess like Ossa I will probably get to know the muga people pretty good.

She I am guessing you don't miss being west of PG 6 hrs especially in the winter months.

I also have a very close connection to Chilliwack, my great grandfather was one of the pioneers on the wall at the museum....my parents and brother are buried there. Also many of the lakes around Harrison Hot Springs are named after family members...Ossa they have a fabulous smorgasbord at the Harrison Hot Spring Hotel if you haven't tried it yet!! The best I have ever had.

Marian I am so excited for you getting chickens. I had a rooster and 3 hens and 2 baby chicks my broody hen laid but decided to find a nice home for them after my surgery in July as we figured during chemo it would be best if I wasn't in the coop. It was the saddest thing for me to make that decision. My DH works 12 hr. shifts and I know I would have tended to my chickens on days he was working and we were concerned about the bacteria. I found a fantastic home and I can visit anytime so it worked out. Check out the website Backyard chickens it has tons of great info and coop ideas. I do plan on getting chickens again, my next door neighbor raises them so I can get more from her when I am ready. Have a blast.

Gumshoe how do the toes look?

• bearcub
    edited September 2012
    Options

Oops I meant to add, Happy healing Cat!

• Ossa
    edited September 2012
    Options

bearcub.. Interesting that your great grandfather's pic is in the museum, now I will have to go have a look. I have not been to the smorgasbord (Swedish name meaning sandwichtable) but have been to a wedding reception there and the food was great..Love a lot of the lakes around Harrison.. My favorite is Hicks. I have gone camping there lots. i go with a girlfriend (chosen sister) DH pulls a tent trailer up and set it up for us. leaves and comes back to pick us up a week later.. Love it.. Kids can come visit for the day, but no one stay.. we read,  swim,drink and eat.. Spend a day in Harrison. but mostly relax.. LOVE it.. not been the past two years (Hate Cancer) will definitely go again next year..

Feeling.... good to hear your fraction went up, mine did the same... swollen feet,arms, face all part off the journey,, but when the swelling disappears (it will) it feels so good..clothes fit again, Sorry your friend have to join us as well, but she is so welcome here

Have a fantastic weekend everyone

• marianelizabeth
    edited September 2012
    Options

Bearcub, my DH has already been on that site and today we visited my physio and family who have a chicken coop to see how they did theirs. They turned us onto a site called Village Vancouver that has a chicken section. We also decided where to put it. We are really lucky to have a pretty decent sized yard for Vancouver. You probably have acres and acres?

Ossa thanks for the info and wish you all with the heart testing all the best.

Another great day in B.C.

Marian 

• bearcub
    edited September 2012
    Options

Ossa, We enjoy getting out in the trailer and so far this year has been a bit of a bust, waiting for surgery dates and what not....my summer was ruled by cancer Dx this year.

I have never heard of Hicks lake, will have to check it out on the net.

Marion, we downsized 5 years ago, we had 20 acres further down the road sold, then built a smaller home on 2 acres. It is enough for us now, we no longer have horses, they are at our daughters home. We imagine in 4 years relocating south probably on the island somewhere. We hopefully can find an acre somewhere. Good luck with the chickens, I will check out the Village Vancouver website.

I did get my LE pink bracelet in the mail yesterday!

Have a super weekend!

• FeelingtheMagic
    edited September 2012
    Options

Bearcub, yes, school in the 70's in Pr. Geo. And parties, The flats, what a crazy town it was then. So, I know we are supposed to be anonymous on this site, however, I am so public with this whole thing, as my business was also very public.  So, my name is Janet Whitehead. My brother's were fairly infamous in the 70's there.. bad ass boys. Do we know each other?

Funny.. I spent a weekend at Harrison a few weeks ago. First time ever. We stayed at Harrison Hot Springs, had a fabulous times especially because granddaughters loved the pools.The lake itself feels very 'mysterious'... a lot of history there, me thinks.

Cat, hope you're doing well. I think if I explored the whole forum, I'd know.. but which surgery were you having? Was this your follow up reconstruction or orginal surgery?

Now battling migraines... been so long since I"ve had those. BUT I'm going to say, chemo is going so well, really. My daughter was diagnosed with a rare ovarian cancer 2.5 years ago. Her chemo was brutal with 24/7 care. So, in persepctive, mine is great. She is doing fabulously and is pregnant!!!!!! Due early January.   Life is full of miracles.

CHeers, all.

• bearcub
    edited September 2012
    Options

Janet, I do not recognise the name, I went to PGSS 74 and 75. I sure do remember those parties at the flats though...lol...OMG to be that young again!

Sorry you are battling migraines, and that is awful about the ovarian cancer your daughter had, you have had your fair share of stress, but a huge miracle that she is expecting! That is wonderful news, a fantastic way to start the new year!

• anamerty
    anamerty Member Posts: 33
    edited September 2012
    Options

Hi everybody.Wanted to give a shoutout to Cathy67:I also live in Richmond,near Lansdowne Mall. Here is a bit of my story.Jan99 was dxed with a 9mm left sided IDC er/pr/positive.(they didn't do Her2 back then) I had surgery a lumpectomy, at UBC then folled by rads. Five years before this my sister passed away from breast cancer at the age of 33, so I was convinced I was next.So about 6 years ago another sister was dxed with breast cancer.I was asked to have the genetic testing done(by her daughter who is active in the genetic community) Reason it been me was that at the time of my bc I was premenepause and my second sister was post at her dx. They wanted to test me. I agreed and was tested positive for BRCA1.Many family members then were tested and I believe 13 of 15 also have it.So knowing this it didn't really affect me because I was so far removed from my cancer I thought it didn't matter. I have 3 daughters who were positive, so they all had prof bilat mastect. I had my ovaries removed. So I have always had mammos and MRI's at the vcc because as a brca carrier they follow you. Instead of handing you over to a mammo clinic once a year.I have had ongoing problems with my right breast as far back as 1999 when been treated for my original bc on the left breast. Mri's always showed "something" so always called back for ultrasounds. Last aug. 2011 again the "buzy" breast as my oncol calls it the mri showed something, so went Valentines day 2012 for ultra sounds cyst showed up in the 8 o'clock, so nothing to worry about. I went for my routine mammo/see oncol on July 23rd, nothing on mammo but oncol felt lump in my right side7'ocock. core biopsy done 1.8 cm IDC grade 3 triple neg, had double mast at the cancer clinic Aug 27th. 7 sentinal nodes all clear!!!Waiting now for the 24th seeing Dr. Villa about chemo. Dr weir my oncol, said it was good I had a double as they found a 3mm dcis in my left.So I am healing up from the surgery and waiting about chemo. Needless to say this is scarring the S--- out of me. Dr.Weir said it is very common for brca people to get the triple negative breast cancers. This is the opposite of what I had on the left so it is a new cancer. I could really get some positive feedback on the triple negative women if anybody could help..

• cat61
    cat61 Member Posts: 53
    edited September 2012
    Options

FeelingtheM I was having my implant put in. No worries, the surgery whent awesome ! My new foob is soft and doesn't pock into my underarms wich is great Laughing

I am finding that I need to take an occasional pain killer though, the surgeon had to cut a bit into the bottom of the pocket to make my implant droop down a bit more to even me out. I am up and about but taking it easy, dh is watching me closely and treating me like a queen.. Wink

I took the pressure wrap and bra off today and had a hot shower it was fantastic Laughing I felt almost normal !

Going to start walking on the treadmill again tomorrow, gaining to much weightSurprised..... and take it easy to.

Feels great to be at this point in the treatment. 

• marianelizabeth
    edited September 2012
    Options

anamerty, two of my best friends were triple negative and both are fine though they had to have chemo due to no receptors. One had radiation too as she had a lumpectomy. The other had a bmx due it being medullary and a second lump found on an MRI. One is 5 years NED and the other is 6 years. Both going strong.