Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Canadians in British Columbia

Options

Comments

• akmom
    akmom Member Posts: 98
    edited July 2012
    Options

Gumshoe, I was hoping that you would catch a break with this surgery and that things would go smoothly for a change, so sorry to hear that's not the case. Thinking of you and hoping for better days to come. xo

• gumshoe
    gumshoe Member Posts: 59
    edited July 2012
    Options

akmom -- Congrats on the new granddaughter!! And two of them to spoil now? Lucky you :)

And yes -- hahaha -- I was joking with the nurses that they need a new Murphy's Law wall at Jim Pattison, with my picture on it! To add insult to injury, I HAD to see Dr. D the other day because Dr. J. was away. Oh well, I just didn't take any cr@p from him.

• cathy67
    cathy67 Member Posts: 411
    edited July 2012
    Options

Tazzy, Gumshoe,

Thanks. Today I met the financial advisor, it is great that we are from the same city in China, and we are from the same university. I shared my background info with her, she will study and figure out the workable options for me.

She also shared with me her own experiences, her husband was diagnosed as lymphoma cancer just one year after they immigrated to Canada, and it was already the last stage. It was in year 1995, at the time, the technology was not that advanced as nowadays, finally he left her, and their child was only two years old.

My situation is pretty complicated, I also have uterine fibroids, and mammography follow-up order, she will get back to her company to see how to deal with my case.

Also, I just learned BC has a pharmaCare plan, it seems it can provide some assistance on drug expense, depending on the family income. I don't know if this is what I need, and how much it will cost. Anyone knows this?

• GG27
    GG27 Member Posts: 1,308
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Cathy- The Fair Pharmacare plan isn't something that you pay for, you just apply for it & it may cover some of the drug costs according to your income.  http://www.health.gov.bc.ca/pharmacare/plani/planiindex.html   It is based on the previous years income, it was very helpful for myself, my income was almost nil the year before I had treatment & I had to pay for very little in the way of drugs or prosthesis that year, but this year my income was higher, my deductible is $400.
  • Kathy044
    Kathy044 Member Posts: 94
    edited July 2012
    Options

Cathy the Pharmacare plan doesn't cost anything but you do need to register and to be a BC resident. The annual deductable is based on % of family net income as reported on income tax forms. Most people never reach the deductable level, but it nice to be there if needed. If you are low income and get premium assistence for MSP you might get there sooner. I reached the cap on the prescription drug portion of my extended health plan in 2010 when I was prescribed neupogen with my chemo to raise my white blood counts, this was February, but because of the dollar amount, pharmacare kicked in for the rest of the year.

Kathy

• Ossa
    Ossa Member Posts: 685
    edited July 2012
    Options

Akmom.. congrats on your new grandbaby.  Don't have any yetCry.. Hope to one day.. Enjoy your stay with them

Gumshoe good for you for not taking any crap from doc. been through enough as it is you do not need that on top of it all ( thought it was PS thatwas on holidays)  you go girl

Have a great day ladies

• Tazzy
    Tazzy Member Posts: 1,442
    edited July 2012
    Options

Akmom.... congrats on being a gramma again.

Good luck Cathy:

Another hot day here in the OK - hope the rain lets up soon in the Kootenays.  Hope everyone manages a great day with minimal SE's and good recovery.

• She
    She Member Posts: 131
    edited July 2012
    Options

Akmom Congrats on the grandbaby!

Cat did you see the posts about meeting when I get back later this fall?

Gumshoe how are you doing today?

Ossa, hope you have a great day too!

Tazzy it's cloudy this am but supposed to clear up and get hot ... yaay!

• cathy67
    cathy67 Member Posts: 411
    edited July 2012
    Options

Thanks, I found the online calculator and tried to input my family income, it is good that this one is qualified for everyone, I will register it very soon, trying to find the tax notice assessment now. I guess, I only need to register it once? Will figure it out.

My income is nil, and my husband's income is pretty stable, so won't have big change over the years.

I am learning so much, thanks and wish everybody a nice summer.

• cat61
    cat61 Member Posts: 53
    edited July 2012
    Options
    I am going to go my grandsons eighth birthday party this Saturday after work, I cant wait to see everyone. Am going to take a lot of pics like usuall  lol  .......... have a great weekend everyone Laughing
  • bestfriend05
    bestfriend05 Member Posts: 70
    edited July 2012
    Options

Hello all,

My mum is in vancouver and was diagnosed with brain mets last year from the get go (misdiagnosed on two occasions previously) any how, after her initial treatment of whole brain radiation, her mets have come back and she has five spots to treat in the brain which can be treated by gamma knife which is only available in winnipeg or toronto. Her referral has come through and she has a date for 9 th of august and although in any other situation that would be perfect cuz its brain mets and its grade 3 , most other people would get treatment perfrably the next week or if u really lucky in the next couple of days once u r diagnosed.

My mum's oncologist is to put it "politely" a jerk who told her in not very tasteful manner her brain mets cannot be treated if they come back ( which is not true) and so we cant actually approach him to speed up the process, her usual radiotherpaist is on holiday and the on duty oncologist has siad since its cross state this is all i could do..

we r going to cal the winnipeg office tomorrow and ask if we can get this preponed, (apparently they do this just once a week) and start the process as soon as it will be 5 weeks since diagnosis beofre she gets treatment and believ u me if any othese so called professionals had their loved ones in such a postition they would not be waiting for 5 weeks for treatment of brain mets..she has also been to ER cuz of the brain mets after diagnosis last week..

my question to u guys is who else can we aproach to speed up the process, we r at the mercy of these doctors who have written off my mum...pls help..

• Ossa
    edited July 2012
    Options

Woohoo Half our company made it.. The rest have been delayed until tomorrow.. problems with the airplane.. stuck in London for the night.. So nice to have Norwegians around. Going to enjoy the next three weeks

• Tazzy
    Tazzy Member Posts: 1,442
    edited July 2012
    Options

have a blast Ossa - are you going to be playing 'tourist' with them.   Look forward to hearing about it all.

Take care everyone - hope you are having a good Monday so far xxxx

• Cher56
    Cher56 Member Posts: 140
    edited July 2012
    Options

Hi BC'ers.. meaning British columbia's.. NOT BC bleh!

anyone know of a good support group (not vancouver) i'm in Maple Ridge, looking for out this way

thanks 

• Jill1962
    Jill1962 Member Posts: 7
    edited July 2012
    Options

Hi Cher56,

I found this info on line, not sure if it's still current?  I live in Burnaby and the group here is off till September so this might be the case with Maple Ridge too!

TRILLIUM BREAST CANCER SUPPORT GROUP:

Support group for anyone with breast cancer, their supporters and anyone wanting more

information or support around breast cancer. Meets third Monday of each month 7:30 - 9:00 pm.

Ridge Meadows Hospital Education Room (basement).Telephone..........................

604-464-7296

• Sneakychiquita
    Sneakychiquita Member Posts: 110
    edited July 2012
    Options

Hi everyone,

I live in Vancouver, was diagnosed with multifocal IDC a week ago, and have been told I require a mastectomy.  I saw earlier in this thread that a few of you were very happy with Dr. Van Laeken for reconstruction.  This is who my GS referred me to because her wait was the shortest.  I asked my GS to refer me to 2 plastic surgeons so that I could compare opinions and treatments offered, to better my chance of getting the best procedure for me.  Well, the person doing the bookings in Dr. Van Laeken's office called me on Friday and told me that there are many other patients who want to be with Van Laeken and if I wasn't completely on board with her that I was wasting her time.  I told her that I didn't mean to offend but that I just wanted to make sure that I was going with the reconstruction that was best for me and that I was also interested in flap procedures that Van Laeken can't offer.  Her response was that she would CONSIDER offering me an appointment at a later time, AFTER she's seen those who have committed to her, and that this may not happen until September. 

Was I asking for too much... are second opinions not done in BC? Has anyone else been treated similarly by the PS "desk" staff because of wanting a second opinion?  And lastly, does anyone know of a PS in BC who does hip flap reconstruction?  I'm interested in this because I don't have enough tissue to take from the belly, taking a portion of my back muscle will interfere with the sports I do, and I'm worried about an implant being tucked under the pec from an exercise stand-point and also of it's risk of capsular contracture. I've called around to all the PS doing reconstructions in Vancouver and it sounds like they do autologous reconstructions using the hip/thigh/buttock tissue only in very rare circumstances.   

• gumshoe
    edited July 2012
    Options

Sneakychiquita, I think that is appalling treatment by the booking person, and I also think you have every right to complain. Of course you should get more than one opinion if that's what you want! It's your breast, not hers! If I were you, I'd write a confidential letter to Dr. Van Laeken and let her know how her staff is treating breast cancer patients. She's a very nice lady.

My sister had Dr. Van Laeken, and she absolutely loved her. However, she also required a few revisions to her surgery so I'm not sure whether she loved her work or her personality, to be quite honest. That said, she has a very good reputation -- but that should absolutely not be your only criteria for choosing her.

I don't know of anyone who does hip flap reconstruction but I didn't look into that particular surgery. I can tell you that I recently had a mastectomy (just over 3 weeks ago), with tissue expander placement. Although I've had some unrelated problems, I don't notice any immediate difference with my arm strength or muscle interference. Of course, I haven't done anything too strenuous yet, and how it affects you down the road might all depend on what kind of exercise you're doing.

Good luck and please keep us posted! 

• grateful33
    grateful33 Member Posts: 11
    edited July 2012
    Options

Sneakychiquita

I had a bilateral mastectomy June 20th with Dr Sheina Macadam who has done an extra year of breast reconstruction fellowship in the US. She is very good and has a great website for you to research the different options. I have tissue expanders and am now five weeks out and pecs are healing nicely. Although I haven't done any strenous upper body exercises!! Good luck with your choice. It is a hard decision and don't be rushed into anything. xo

• cat61
    cat61 Member Posts: 53
    edited July 2012
    Options

Sneakychiquita, sounds like this woman is out of line. I agree with gumshoe, send a letter to the ps and let her know how her staff is treating her patients. You have every right to get as many opinions as you feel you need. Its your body your life. If you don't stick up for yourself no one will !

My ps offered to set up appointments with any surgeon I wanted to get a second opinion from. So did my Oncologist, it impressed me a lot. Do what you need to to make yourself happy, you only live once! 

• Sneakychiquita
    edited July 2012
    Options

Thank you, everyone, for giving me the confidence to stick with my request for a second opinion.  I did try to get an appointment with Macadam, but she is going on vacation so I wouldn't be able to see her until the end of September (too late for my general surgeon's liking).  I do, however, have an appointment with Peter Lennox on Aug 15th.  Still no word from Van Laeken's office so I'm thinking they may not get me in, or at least not for awhile.

• She
    She Member Posts: 131
    edited July 2012
    Options

Sneakychiquita, Peter is in practice with Sheina and is also an excellent surgeon. You won't be disappointed with his skill or bedside manner.

• anamerty
    anamerty Member Posts: 33
    edited August 2012
    Options
    Hi nice to see some of us from lower mainland!!I too live in Richmond. When I was first dx with IDC left breast  in Jan 1999 I had my lumpectomy at UBC then rads at Cancer clinic 10th and Ash, and have been faithfully going every 6 months for over 13 years. I have a great oncologist there name Lorna Weir.I had my MRI in Nov which showed an area on my right side (which really has been ongoing for 13+ years) I went for ultrasounds on Valentines day and area was determined to be another cyst.Well July 23 went to cancer clinic for routine mammos,and as alot of us that continue to regularly go for our appts to the cancer clinic, tests are followed up with checkup with oncologist. Well she found a 1.5 aprox lump in the right breast sent me for ultrasound and core biopsy and they came back positive for cancer.My oncol called me 2 days after biopsy with prelim results that said pos.She was trying to expidite an appt with the surgeon at cancer clinic, but it has been 9 days and not heard anything yet.Please I am looking for anybody that can tell me how long it takes to see a surgeon after dx.in Vancouver. The first time I had the path reports and surgery within 9 days of dx. Now I didn't even get the path report just the prelim report, My oncol told me their findings so that I was prepared, and I knew it would take the extra few days for her to get the actual path reports,but I would have thought I'd get a call, or do they just send every thng to the surgeon then I wait for an appt. I'm actually really scared don't know what the real waiting time is as I was done so quickly in 1999.I also have the BRCA1 gene and 2 other sisters had BC one passed away. All family members tested whom all are positive with BRCA1 this is why cancer clinic continues to care for me. anybody have answers for me can always private msg if you want   dragonsclaw@shaw.ca     thanks
  • gumshoe
    edited August 2012
    Options

Hi anamerty - Sorry to hear you're having such a frustrating time. I don't know the situation in Vancouver but I do know wait times in general go up in the summer. Most of the surgeons I know about (Surrey area) are on vacation in August, and the ones left behind are seeing all the patients. I know that doesn't help you but it might explain why your wait time is longer.

• Sneakychiquita
    edited August 2012
    Options

Hi anamerty - I don't know what the norm is, but this was my situation: GP called me in to let me know that preliminary report based on mammogram and ultrasound wasn't promising, but said that a surgeon wouldn't book me in until final biopsy results were in. Those results arrived 7 business days after the biopsy.  My GP called around and got me in with a GS (Elaine McKevitt) 2 days later.  It was implied that I was lucky to see her on such short notice.  However, the wait for a plastic surgeon has taken much longer. As gumshoe mentioned, I do know that some surgeons are on vacation know which is why I'm waiting longer than usual for a plastic surgeon.  If it were me, I'd follow up with a call on Monday for some peace of mind. 

Best of luck,

Stacey 

• marianelizabeth
    marianelizabeth Member Posts: 1,156
    edited August 2012
    Options

I live in Vancouver and was totally impressed with the speed of diagnosis. I saw a GP July 18 at a drop in clinic since my own GP goes away for the whole summer. I got a call later than morning with an appt. at the Rapid Access Breast Clinic at Mt. St. Joseph for Monday, July 23, had a mammogram and ultrasound that morning, got a call Tuesday for an appt. Wed. for a core biopsy and a call to come in Friday, July 27 for the diagnosis of IDC. I saw my surgeon on Monday, July 27 and then it slowed down. But I am so impressed with everyone at Mt. St. Joseph and it is summer after all! Due to full OR slates and summer holidays, I will not have my partial mastecomy and sentinel node biopsy until Sept. 7 but do feel that all my questions were answered, options were offered and I was never rushed. I had a friend come with me to take notes and make sure I asked my questions. I had done a lot of speed reading and the day I was diagnosed I had got "Dr. Susan Love's Breat Book" recommended by a friend who has already been through the whole breast cancer business and it is already my "bible." My surgeon also tried to get me in for surgery earlier with her colleagues but that failed. So I am in the waiting game and for the most part it is not so bad. I am working at being as healthy as possible with recommendations from the surgeon to drop the alcohol, meat and cheese and from an good friend who is a head oncologist in NS to do things in moderation but drop the simple sugars as much as possible. I do have good friends who have had breast cancer in recent years and talked on Skype yesterday to a friend who had a mastecomy and lymphectomy two weeks ago in Thailand. I do find sharing helpful which I guess is why I am on this site. I did not notice that to post my diagnoses,  I needed to go to public which I have done now for the future.

• marianelizabeth
    edited August 2012
    Options

I just posted a few hours ago my waiting situation and I guess it is the same for you; summer and I suspect not just the surgeons on holiday but many other staff members. I would call if I were you though to at least get a date even if it is in Septembers as mine is.

• Ossa
    edited August 2012
    Options

Welcome sneaky... and mariano... nice to mmet you even though I wish you did not have to be here..

You should check out The Canadian Connection... calling all Canadian women   a great tread with lots of advice

• marianelizabeth
    edited August 2012
    Options

Thanks Ossa; wish I did not have to be here but so it goes! I found this site right at the beginning and since I like to know as much as I can, I am finding it a great resource. Somewhere on here yesterday, I found a book that someone had read, "Cancer Made me a Shallower Person." Even just the title made me laugh out loud and I have ordered it this morning. I did read more online and it was not a happy ending for her but she has done a lot for us all by allowing humour to be part of our BC lives. By the way, I have read lots is this wait for the surgery but am still working on all of the acronyms you all throw out. But I guess I will catch up. I did look at the BC Cancer Agency site yesterday and note that they are offering clinical trials for partial radiotherapy. I know that is ways off since my surgery is not until Sept. 7 but agaijn, I like to be ahead of the game in awareness of what will be next. Radiation is for sure since I am having a partial mastectomy. Does anyone have any information on the clinical trial? :) Marian

• Cher56
    edited August 2012
    Options

thanks  Jill1962 for that.. yes, it`s at my hospital, 3rd monday of the month, not sure if they`re off for summer, way way overly busy with all the mess I`m in from surgery & infections (from 3bugs) 2months later.

ok, I have major confusion and will seek another Oncologist opinion. the Oncologist disagrees with my surgeon on the `type`of cancer, Surgeon said, is triple negative, becuase the amount of estrogen is too low. (weakly positive 1/3 barely), so Onc says the risk to my life is too much compared to what chemo can do to reduce chances of getting BC back (i`m also concerned .. like what about cancer being somewhere else). so he says no chemo (am IDC, GRADE 3, Stage 1, no spread etc..)so he says I`m CURED. if I do no treatment it`s a 75% of not reacurring, with hormon pills, it`s a 85%. side effects will increase my already there joint pain, osteoporosis as I`m long term on prednisone, & of course the good ol`menapausal symptoms. IF I have NO treatment, and C comes back, it will be Stage IV & will be incurable, but can slow it down.... i`m soooooooooo confused!! huh?

who has IDC etc like me with only hormone treatment? I`m not prepared to start them right now as my life is a mess & due to getting large wounds (which are healing at a fantastic rate), still on IV home therapies for infections (2 bugs keep coming back), 2mths since DMX, and this has taken away my income earning abilities, so now have to move as I cannot afford this home.

I`m not complaining that I don`t need chemo.. I`m just confused.

any heap is sure appreciated.

thanks

hope all are doing better than yesterday :)

• Cher56
    edited August 2012
    Options

thanks  Jill1962 for that.. yes, it`s at my hospital, 3rd monday of the month, not sure if they`re off for summer, way way overly busy with all the mess I`m in from surgery & infections (from 3bugs) 2months later.

ok, I have major confusion and will seek another Oncologist opinion. the Oncologist disagrees with my surgeon on the `type`of cancer, Surgeon said, is triple negative, becuase the amount of estrogen is too low. (weakly positive 1/3 barely), so Onc says the risk to my life is too much compared to what chemo can do to reduce chances of getting BC back (i`m also concerned .. like what about cancer being somewhere else). so he says no chemo (am IDC, GRADE 3, Stage 1, no spread etc..)so he says I`m CURED. if I do no treatment it`s a 75% of not reacurring, with hormon pills, it`s a 85%. side effects will increase my already there joint pain, osteoporosis as I`m long term on prednisone, & of course the good ol`menapausal symptoms. IF I have NO treatment, and C comes back, it will be Stage IV & will be incurable, but can slow it down.... i`m soooooooooo confused!! huh?

who has IDC etc like me with only hormone treatment? I`m not prepared to start them right now as my life is a mess & due to getting large wounds (which are healing at a fantastic rate), still on IV home therapies for infections (2 bugs keep coming back), 2mths since DMX, and this has taken away my income earning abilities, so now have to move as I cannot afford this home.

I`m not complaining that I don`t need chemo.. I`m just confused.

any heap is sure appreciated.

thanks

hope all are doing better than yesterday :)