Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Canadians in British Columbia

Options

Comments

• She
    She Member Posts: 131
    edited September 2012
    Options

Stopping in to say Hey!

Tazzy how was your BRAG workshop? And your LE app't? 

My LE is acting up, I've been sleeping in my sleeves and struggled into the heavy-duty compression pair this morning. They seem to be helping.  I sure don't want to get celluitis here so will suffer the discomfort in the heat and hope the swelling goes down.  Ahhhh BC ... the freeken gift that just keeps on giving.  Maybe the local beer will get the fluid moving :)

Marian I'll be thinking of you tomorrow ... look for pink feathers floating around in the OR - your BCO friends will be there watching over you!

• Tazzy
    Tazzy Member Posts: 1,442
    edited September 2012
    Options

enjoyed the BRAG workshop.   Nurse just went over bc and how its like having a typo on a recipe... the cells dont get the message to stop dividing and rest... then we had a physio come in and go through all our post op exercises... then just a general chat session.  Was 6 of us in the class and nice to chat to other women at different stages and tx's of bc.   Looking forward to next weeks.   LE appt went well - good news is I dont have LE at this moment.   Nurse went through prevention and what we can do.  Apparently swimming is a great exercise for us who have gone through bc and and another prevention exercise for LE.   Hot tubs she said to lower the temp to about 100 and limit use to 15-20 per time.   I will do all I can to prevent LE, but will not stop living.    I will take swimming up again once recovered from rads.  

She - sorry your LE is acting up.   Beer is a good cure all Wink

• marianelizabeth
    marianelizabeth Member Posts: 1,156
    edited September 2012
    Options

Thanks She, I will be looking for those pink feathers. I think I should not have gone on the SNB thread as it was full of horror stories of excruciating pain from the dye injection and when I talked to my nurse navigator and Nuclear Med at St. Paul's this week they had never heard of such problems. So I am hoping that the thread is mainly those who did have problems but those who did not, did not write in! I had a meltdown talking to my sister this morning as I felt she was as usual all about herself and her stress and forgot I am having surgery tomorrow. Guess I am anxious! But on the other hand I am excited to finally get the surgery done. I sent of for one of those pink wristbands this week for the LE and sorry to hear that you are having such problems. Tazzy I will take your advice and start swimming as soon as I can too. One of my son's wants to start swimming as part of his triathlon training so maybe we can go together.

CoolMarian 

• Tazzy
    edited September 2012
    Options

Marian.   I had an SNB and wont lie it hurt like a son of a b*tch, but for seconds only... then its over.  I had 3 done and the last 2 were the worst cos I knew what to expect so tensed up.     Good luck with your surgery - check in when you can.

• She
    edited September 2012
    Options

Marian, the waiting and anticipation is the worst. If its painful, it won't be for long. And if it doesn't hurt at all there will be jealousy lol.

Tazzy I beat the crap outta my arm for 11 years before I got le in it. It was very mild le until they used that arm for the iv during BMX/DIEP and it's been swollen and painful since. Just the cost of getting nice foobs I guess. And I still beat the crap outta it regardless. You're so right, we have to live life.

• Ossa
    Ossa Member Posts: 685
    edited September 2012
    Options

Marian.. thinking of you today ((((hugs)))) Check in when you can so we know you are ok

You are right about people posting more bad than good, Human nature I guess..

Enjoy beautiful British Columbia ladies

• She
    edited September 2012
    Options

Have a great weekend friends!  I'm going dancing tonight and offto the beach tomorrow.  Need beer therapy and sun for my annoying LE lolz.

• cat61
    cat61 Member Posts: 53
    edited September 2012
    Options

I am anxious to get my new foob , I am so wishing it was tomorrow !!!!!

I have to wait till the 13th hmmmmmmmmm Undecided

What an absolutely gorgeous day today, cleaned the SUV inside and washed the outside and it looks and smells great!!!!!!! I did it knowing that after my surgery I wont be able to do it for a bit.

Enjoy the gorgeous weekend all Wink 

• marianelizabeth
    edited September 2012
    Options

OK, have to admit to copy/paste here but as you will see below, I aleady screwed up on losing long posts today! But I will add to this one, it being our Br Col site! Can't use BC easily as it must confuse some. I wrote ealier this AM for the September thread ss there were 4 of us for surgery yesterday and one the day before.

Hi Everyone: I have lost two posts so far today but may be due to not being all together "with the program" post op! I think I try to make sure there aren't any mistakes and then click something in the wrong place as in the last one when I did a preview first. So, I did have my lumpectomy, called partial mastecomy on my consent, along with the SNB yesterday. The nuclear med injection was almost painless and lasted only a couple of seconds; so much for my anxiety over it. The first IV attempt was much worse but thankfully the second one done by the anesthetist was better. My surgeon visited me before I left for home and she found a second small lump about 1 cm from the first and also a couple of the nodes she described as pearly looking; not a good sign I am thinking. It could take as long as 10 business days for my pathology reports but am so happy to have the surgery over with. I had a friend with me and she hung out after I got home until my sons got off work because I felt so awful. Her nurse daugher dropped by too and is coming over on Sunday to take off the first dressing. No showers for a week. It is great to have our young adults sons living at home right now - they both hung out with me for awhile and took good care of me last night. My husband comes home on Monday.

Back to the Br Col gang! I found the after effects from the anesthetic the worst part and in recovery the nurse kep waking me up as the alarm was going off for O2 so I had to do lots of deep breaths and pretend to blow out candles. I felt awful until early evening. I slept pretty well no doubt due to the pain killers (new to me - Emtec-30's, same as T3's except no caffeine. I also took .5 mg of Ativan late last night and slept until 0415 so not bad. I am in bed taking it easy with my computer and had a couple of Skype calls with my husband and one of my best freinds in Calgary, also a 5 year out NED.

She, you have to be jealous I guess as that injection was too easy. I told the tech, "no pain, no gain" and she said she could do it over. LOL. Tazzy, I may have more of those injections like you did, so better not brag anymore!

I saw there were a lot of posts on the Canadian site so will likely copy/paste there too.

The weather is awesome for all of us here and across the border too as Cat says, so I hope we all have a great weekend.

CoolMarian 

• She
    edited September 2012
    Options

Marian, so glad to hear from you. You bet I'm jealous!

The 10 day wait for results is cruel and unusual punishment, it is so not fair. But you're not waiting alone, we're waiting with you.

It sounds like you have an amazing support crew so your job is to rest, relax and heal. And follow your post op orders. I had Emtec (couldn't remember the name lol) but I'm such a lightweight I had to switch to extra strength Tylenol.

Hope you feel better every day.

• marianelizabeth
    edited September 2012
    Options

Yeah, the support has been great and our young nurse friend Katie is coming at 3 to take off the big bandage and help me wash my hair as no shower until Friday. Can't wait to see what it looks like under there. Still peeing blue but now taking laxatives as no bue poo yet no doubt due to codeine. I am not taking much but it has done its constipation thing for me.

Hope you are all enjoying this cooler fall day.

SmileMarian 

• Tazzy
    edited September 2012
    Options

Cooler fall day ????? It is currently 31.5 here in the Okanagan.  But there is a wonderful breeze which is so very welcome.  I cant wait for Fall.

• gumshoe
    gumshoe Member Posts: 59
    edited September 2012
    Options

Marian, Glad your surgery went well, and hope you heal quickly! You'll feel better after you can wash your hair. I couldn't have a shower for 5 days after my surgeries, so had a lot of bird-baths.

She, Hope your LE isn't giving you too much misery. Frown

Tazzy, Yes, it's cooler here today, yay! I hear there's a big fire in Peachland right now -- scary. 

Busy here, so not much time to read the forums! 

• Tazzy
    edited September 2012
    Options

Yes, fire is very close to where we live... hoping the winds die down soon and they can get it under control.   Still far enough away from us - fingers and toes crossed !

• MarieK
    MarieK Member Posts: 467
    edited September 2012
    Options

Hi All!

It's nice to find this Br Col BC group - I didn't even know you were here!

You can see from my signature what I've been through so I won't bore you with all the details.

What you can't see is that I've had a pretty successful reconstruction and I'm finally happy with my results.  I had my right breast (natural side) reduced twice to better match my left mast side and I'm so happy being "smaller" up top now.

It feels like "active" treatment was so long ago for me and I've forgotten so much.  Nowadays I only come on here around the time of my 6 month ONC appts.  Which is a whole new worry and stress for me each time....

I love the idea of a get together - I hope I can be included? It would feel great to be able to discuss fears, concerns and success with others who truly understand. 

I hope you all have a nice cool rainy evening and enjoy the last few hours of your weekend! 

Marie 

• MarieK
    MarieK Member Posts: 467
    edited September 2012
    Options

I also wanted to add that I knew Suz - the original poster of this thread.  She was a great lady and generous with her sharing and support.

I know it's been a few weeks now since she passed but I still have some private messages from her - before things got really bad.  

I reread them tonight and this exerpt from Nov still inspires me...

I'm very much at peace about my situation and try not to dwell on it. Keeping a positive attitude and energy is what balances me. It is rare that I don't have a smile on my face and a kind word for those who are down. Its how I wish to be remembered so its the way I live my life.  

...truly a great lady and sadly missed! 

• Ossa
    edited September 2012
    Options

MarieK... Glad you found us, and thank you for the wise words from Suz.. I never met her, but still felt I knew her. She was the first to reach out to me when I started my journey.. She was always so encouraging and kind.. Miss her posts and private messages. She was truly an inspiration

And of course you will be included in our get together, Look forward to meeting everyone..I am doing the CIBC run for the cure on Sept. 30 in Abbotsford and look forward to meeting Cher that day as she is also walking

• gumshoe
    edited September 2012
    Options

Tazzy, Stay safe over there! It sounds awful. I hear they're calling for rain tonight -- hope it happens sooner rather than later.

Welcome MarieK -- Suz welcomed me to the boards also when I first joined, so thanks for sharing that about her.  

• She
    edited September 2012
    Options

Welcome MarieK, glad you found us.  Happy to hear you're pleased with your recon, I'm pretty happy with mine too.

Tazzy, stay safe.

Gumshoe, I hope you're healing well and have less pain.  My LE has settled down a bit.  Beer helped lol.

Marian, I hope you continue to heal and that the blue poo has passed....

Cat, only 3 more days!

Ossa are you getting geared up for the walk?

This is a big day for me, 3 years ago I had BMX/DIEP.  I also celebrated being 6 years past my 'expiry date' this summer.  I think I should take the afternoon off Wink

• Ossa
    edited September 2012
    Options

Good Morning,

She.. heck take the whole day off, enjoy, relax, laugh, play, read a book or do nothing.. well deserved

Tazzy.. stay safe, hope for rain in your area.

Gumshoe.. good to be busy again eh, means life is lowly getting back to our new normal

Marian.. keep healing

Cat... see you at work

• marianelizabeth
    edited September 2012
    Options

Tazzy, I heard more about the fire on CBC this AM and lots of people evacuated. It was really stormy in Vancouver all night though clearing now. I hope the winds died up there! 

Ossa, more friends want to join our family for the run (walk for me) on the 30th in Vancouver so that is fun!

Marie, great to see you on here and it is important I think to have connections with women who have been through it awhile ago. I had a good friend come by yesterday who is 6 years out from IDC and we had great conversations. Where are you in Vancouver?

My big dressing came off yesterday thanks to our young nurse friend Katie, and I have a reasonably blue boob. It looks good and though there are still steristrips and little bandages over that, the bruising is not bad and it looks a lot better that I expected. Katie washed my hair and I had a bird bath as you call it Gumshoe. Shower on Friday. Still no blue poo so I guess my biggest issue right now is constipation so can't complain!

She, I hope you had a great afternoon!

CoolMarian 

• Tazzy
    edited September 2012
    Options

I am so far OK... thank goodness for rain overnight and the dropped winds.  There is a huge black rain cloud hovering over us at the moment, so really hoping that it brings lots and lots of rain.   So far 1500 evacuated and others on high alert.  And there was me thinking we got over Summer with no serious fires !!

Thanks everyone for your concern.

• gumshoe
    edited September 2012
    Options

Wow, She, congrats -- take the whole week off! And have more beer! 

Tazzy, Fingers crossed that they'll get it in check. My nephew spent a couple of summers firefighting up in that area. Not a fun job. 

Marian, Glad your dressing came off, and that everything looks good! 

• liefie
    liefie Member Posts: 761
    edited September 2012
    Options

Marianelizabeth, how are you doing? Hope the path report is very favourable too!

• Tazzy
    edited September 2012
    Options

Gumshoe... thank you nephew for us... those people are heros in my eyes.

• liefie
    liefie Member Posts: 761
    edited September 2012
    Options

Marianelizabeth: So glad you are doing well after the surgery. Now we'll keep our fngers crossed for a favourable path report. Don't worry too much, though. There are a lot of weapons in the arsenal.

Tazzy: See on the news the fire is taking off again because of the wind, houses have been destroyed etc. I hope there will be a break somehow, and the fire will be put out soon. Be safe!

• Tazzy
    edited September 2012
    Options

Thanks liefie... they said 50% contained... so lets keep everything crossed for cooler temps (which we have), less wind and more rain.  

• She
    edited September 2012
    Options

How about a Left Coaster's check-in. How's everyone doing?

Today is Cat's Big Day! (my time zone is a few hours ahead lol) Watch for the pink feathers floating around the OR Cat, we'll be there cheering your team (and You) on.

• Ossa
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Lot of feathers will be floating and Cat joins the squishy sideWink 
  • marianelizabeth
    edited September 2012
    Options

She, good idea for a check in from our little group (I like the left coasters!). Tomorrow is shower day and I am feeling pretty good. Blue is fading, I did exercises from a DVD sent to me by a survivor friend in Calgary and managed them OK, have gone for a couple of 20 minute walks this week and tomorrow I can have a shower! Also I see my physio which is an appt. scheduled long ago. He is booked ahead 3 months so I have appts. going into November. If he doesn't deal wit LE (just making sure for the future) then I suspect he will know who to refer me to. I find that I get crabby about 6 PM every night and just assume that is when I feel the most tired. My husband came home from Turkey on Monday and that has been mostly great other than the fact that we have to learn to live together in our house again. We have a boat there and since he retired, he goes for 5 months every year and I come and go - I was there for a month and just got home before surgery. We had planned to cross the Med and then the Atlantic starting next spring but maybe that will be delayed! Our daughter Skyped from Montreal last night and I got to show her by blue in some places, bruised in others, boob. Our sons and a girlfriend were also here as we all had dinner together so we had a "family reunion" on Skype, all appreciated these days! So that is my long monologue but I hope others chime in too.

Cat, this is your big day as Tazzy says, and She, I do love the pink feathers visualization. Wow just tried to spell that and it took a few seconds - just anesthesia and jet lag I hope but I also had trouble with phone numbers this week! Anyway, Cat, let us know how it went when you are fully awake!

Marie, it was so good to see you here; I for one am so happy to hear from you and also the words from Suz who I did not know at all and who was not posting anymore when I joined. 

Ossa, our little Run for the Cure group is growing and though we won't be a team per se we will be there! I hope to walk 4 k today albeit slowly.

Cher, I hope we hear from you as it has been a few days. You have so much going on but wow, I appreciate your posts!

Tazzy, how are the skies up there; fire out? Also I think you must be a fast typer and thinker as you post on multiple threads and know so much about so many of us. I feel as though I am a bit obesessed with keeping up but I do look forward to logging on to BCO every day at least once as it helps me know I have so many "sisters."

Have a great day everyone!

CoolMarian