Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Canadians in British Columbia

Options

Comments

• Ossa
    Ossa Member Posts: 685
    edited August 2012
    Options

Cher... I would get a second opinion for sure  Grade 3 is aggressive.. I was  IDC (almost wrote am) stage 2b grade three... I had chemo (8 sessions) then surgery where they found no cancer cells left, then 28 rad sessions. then recon (still in progress) I also had Herceptin treatment (Her2+) but onc cancelled my last three as it was affecting my heart in a bad way ( am now on heartmeds, but my heart if fully expected to recover as most do when stopping herceptin). I am currently on Tamoxifen (7 months so far) also on a trial study for Metformin (diabetes drug) The study is to see if there is a lesser chance of recurrence with women taking Metformin opposed to not.. 

BTW I as also weakly ER positive ( but my onc said it is positive none the less)

There are great oncs in Abbotsford if you are looking for another onc Mo's as well, My Onc is Dr. Gurjal, she is great I have also seen Dr Uhlman when dr Gurjal has been away,, would recommend both

Take care

• cyano
    cyano Member Posts: 5
    edited August 2012
    Options

I sure wish I could join you here. I was born and grew up in Calgary and then moved to Vancouver where I lived for almost a decade. I wanted so much to stay in BC, but I found the job of my dreams in California. I miss BC sooooo much!! Fortunately, my parents now live in a cabin near Enderby (near Kelowna) from April to October. They're older so they go to Calgary for the winter so there's no risk of being snowed in and not being able access health care.

• gumshoe
    gumshoe Member Posts: 59
    edited August 2012
    Options

Welcome cyano -- Of course you can join! As far as I know we're not that strict on whether you live here at the moment. Smile I grew up in Alberta too, and lived in Calgary for a few years. 

There's another Canadian thread here:

http://community.breastcancer.org/forum/55/topic/700016?page=296#idx_8876 

It's a little more active than this one and you're welcome there too! 

• Tazzy
    Tazzy Member Posts: 1,442
    edited August 2012
    Options

Happy news.... My surgeon was very happy with the op and got all the cancer.  He took 10 nodes 3 of which were positive.   Chemo did a number on the cancer (as well as me) but it shrunk my tumour from 8+cm to 1.5cm.   I kept making him repeat I didn't have cancer anymore and he did.   I told him my concern was that if my nodes were positive how does he know it didn't travel anywhere else and he said he doesn't know, but he does know he got what he could see in my nodes and breast and if chemo did such a number on it then there is no reason to believe it travelled far and wide.  So I am NED as far as he is concerned and that is good enough for me.   And I get my drains out tomorrow Laughing

OK so that is really good news eh?  then why do I still feel apprehensive... hasn't it sunk in yet?  Is it cos I still have
    to have rads... I dunno.  Don't get me wrong I couldn't have been happier in his office and I haven't stopped smiling,
    but.....  Anyone else felt that way when they got such great news as NED?

• liefie
    liefie Member Posts: 761
    edited August 2012
    Options

Hi Tazzy,

I'm really so happy for your NED, but I can so identify with the 'feeling apprehensive'. Two weeks ago I got the same good news after the rads were done, but that small voice is still there - what if? I'm done with all treatments (except the Tamoxifen), and should be over the moon with joy, but it is strangely not so. It is as if I just cannot give myself permission to believe it 100%, embrace it, and put the nightmare of the last seven months behind me. Also, every time I look in the mirror I'm reminded, some of my toes still have no feeling, I have to be careful/aware about lymphedema for the rest of my life, I have to take a Tam. pill every night, I get tired sooner than usual, etc, etc, etc. So it doesn't just go away!

The fact that the chemo did such a number on your tumour is very good news for me though, because I had the same drugs as you. My surgery to remove an 1.8 cm IDC tumour plus 4 lymph nodes (one positive) happened before chemo though, so our treatment plans were different there, probably because my tumour was relatively small, I think. The travelling 'far and wide' is the big concern for me too, and I'm struggling to come to terms with the fact that there is just no guarantee. We can (and should!) only hope and believe that the chemo and rads eradicated everything. That is the hard part . . . That is also why I adopted those mantras about worrying, namely that worry does not change the outcome, and that I should not worry until there is something to worry about. Easier said than done, for sure!

As time goes by, and our bodies and lives go back to normal, we will not think about this so often any more, and it will not be the major part of our lives as it still is. What a life-changing experience, and what a struggle to get back to some semblance of 'normal', hey? Even here on holiday in San Diego I cannot forget it.

• Tazzy
    edited August 2012
    Options

Thanks liefie.. .yes it is something we all learn to live with.. but I am sure as time marches on it becomes less of our prominent thoughts... least I hope so.

Well off to have the drains removed - woo hoo !!

• She
    She Member Posts: 131
    edited August 2012
    Options

Tazzy, NED is wonderful news. As time passes the fear recedes. Hugs, She

Welcome Cyano.

Hello to All!

• Ossa
    edited August 2012
    Options

welcome cyano..

Hi he are you back home?

Tazzy  SmileLaughingSmile

Gumhoe.. I see on the other tread you are a "happy Dane"  Nice, do you till have family over there?

lifie.. enjoy your San Diego vacation

• She
    edited August 2012
    Options

Hey Ossa! Nope, not going to be home for a while. Check your pm :)

Edited to add .... Hey Left Coasters, hope everyone is doing well!
  • Cher56
    Cher56 Member Posts: 140
    edited August 2012
    Options

!... I'm a Happy Dane tooo!!! My great grand-dad (Christiansen.. pretty Danish eh?) came to Montana, then up to Alberta too. My grandfather was a trapper in the north of AB. lol.. Grandma was the best shot in the northwest.. lol. Mom learned to walk by holding onto one of the team dogs. I'm also Scottish on that side. other side is English & German. I count it all, although I believe your only supposed to go by your Paternal side.? I look like a Dane with the fairness, but Mom had pitch black hair. (ps, was born & raised in Vancouver, then Burnaby)

wow.. so happy to hear the good new Tazzy!! I don't know what NED stands for.. but am guessing it's when 'we're cured'??? lol wow, that sure shrunk it eh? WTG! I did and still do feel apprehensive. It took long enough to get it into my head that I HAD the BC.. and there's this nagging feeling, even though my nodes were 0/4 !! I thought I was just being a pessimest (sp?).. but, maybe it's just because we hear so much of others journeys, some good & some bad, and we 'try' to 'prepare' ourselves for the worst. 

Ossa the only reason I'm NOT going to Abby CC is Dr. Yu is from there, and lends his services to Maple Ridge. it's so mickeymouse here, and the local news will be hearing from me, as the town has let me down & I'm sure other BC Survivors, the surgeon gave me a plastic binder from BCCA, which really didn't have much information in it. Compared to what my bff obtained in the way of information via VCC, you'd think MRidge is in the boonies, and gets no help from outside! I was crying to the nurses the 2nd trip back to hospital, as I was supposed to be taught what to do in the way of stretches/excercizes, had not 1 pamphlet or given any information whatsoever when I was sent home from ICU (still sick & drains NOT working, they were only the containers in which I myself drains my chest into).. I wish I wasn't angry.. but I am. So I want to have an Onc away from MR. & get with a proper Cancer Clinic, I know its after the fact.. but.. better late than never.

I believe my Onc, with the info he did give me, about the any % of ER is positive. But the Surgeon TOOK AWAY MY CHOICE for having Lumpectomy/Rads. not that I would've chosen that, but at one point .. I did say.. oh, no no, I"ll just have the L&R, she said, no no, you can't because of your empethsema & RA. Onc says (even in the letter) that i was 'led to believe this' and its not true, however, it's a mute point as no Rads now.... cause I'm cured. but then he said.. but you have BCCells running around inside you.... HUH??? lol

He also said, that due to my health history, my life would be at risk with Chemo, and the advantages Chemo would give doesn't warrent that risk. (it's about the COPD, but I'm not even severe.. so i"m confused there, but the RA already lowers my immune & the 5yr on prednisone does too), but he also said, without treatment of any kind, if BC comes back (i'm assuming not just in the breast area but will the new Onc) he said it would most likely be Stage IV & INCURABLE.. could slow it down,not cure it.. How can he say that?? (did I post about this already? menopause brain?) I think I did but not sure if this thread. Anyways, what I AM choked about is the fact he said, even if I were able to have Chemo, by the time my wounds were completely healed enough & infections were promised to be gone, 2-3more months, it puts it past the window of being a viable treatment... well, damn.. my Surgeon was only Doc I was talking to about this stuff. She said, CHemo for sure, maybe in pill form, and yes, had to wait for complete healing, which at the time would've put it 6-10mths. (i'm 4months ahead of schedule for healing)... so although am trying to be positive and all that.. I have this 'anger & apprehension' in me, which is not who I really am,.. but I'm a new/diff person now.. aren't we all?? I can't help but be angry at the 2 doc's that I kept telling.. i"m sick i'm sick.. & my gp didn't swab my wound, otherwise, I would've gotten treated sooner, and not had huge wounds. oh, well.. will deal with that again.. and IF I TALK/REPEAT ABOUT IT AGAIN.. send out the white coats here.. I'll gladly go! (seriously.. let me know if i'm repeating please)

(does anyone have issues with their chest (surrounding the incisions) being hard as a rock?? and my upper chest is still sore to touch..and lumps in it, but it's believed to be scar tissue forming.. it used to fill up with fluids.. what a mess it was..but 10weeks & still skin is so owee! but wow.. hard as rock & quite a circumphrance.. I think I forgot how to spell too..

So Tazzi, now whats the plan? Ossa, are you ok? is anyone ok? I'm ok.. until this eve when I feel ill & pain hits. but.. will enjoy the day regardless

• Cher56
    edited August 2012
    Options

!... I'm a Happy Dane tooo!!! My great grand-dad (Christiansen.. pretty Danish eh?) came to Montana, then up to Alberta too. My grandfather was a trapper in the north of AB. lol.. Grandma was the best shot in the northwest.. lol. Mom learned to walk by holding onto one of the team dogs. I'm also Scottish on that side. other side is English & German. I count it all, although I believe your only supposed to go by your Paternal side.? I look like a Dane with the fairness, but Mom had pitch black hair. (ps, was born & raised in Vancouver, then Burnaby)

wow.. so happy to hear the good new Tazzy!! I don't know what NED stands for.. but am guessing it's when 'we're cured'??? lol wow, that sure shrunk it eh? WTG! I did and still do feel apprehensive. It took long enough to get it into my head that I HAD the BC.. and there's this nagging feeling, even though my nodes were 0/4 !! I thought I was just being a pessimest (sp?).. but, maybe it's just because we hear so much of others journeys, some good & some bad, and we 'try' to 'prepare' ourselves for the worst. 

Ossa the only reason I'm NOT going to Abby CC is Dr. Yu is from there, and lends his services to Maple Ridge. it's so mickeymouse here, and the local news will be hearing from me, as the town has let me down & I'm sure other BC Survivors, the surgeon gave me a plastic binder from BCCA, which really didn't have much information in it. Compared to what my bff obtained in the way of information via VCC, you'd think MRidge is in the boonies, and gets no help from outside! I was crying to the nurses the 2nd trip back to hospital, as I was supposed to be taught what to do in the way of stretches/excercizes, had not 1 pamphlet or given any information whatsoever when I was sent home from ICU (still sick & drains NOT working, they were only the containers in which I myself drains my chest into).. I wish I wasn't angry.. but I am. So I want to have an Onc away from MR. & get with a proper Cancer Clinic, I know its after the fact.. but.. better late than never.

I believe my Onc, with the info he did give me, about the any % of ER is positive. But the Surgeon TOOK AWAY MY CHOICE for having Lumpectomy/Rads. not that I would've chosen that, but at one point .. I did say.. oh, no no, I"ll just have the L&R, she said, no no, you can't because of your empethsema & RA. Onc says (even in the letter) that i was 'led to believe this' and its not true, however, it's a mute point as no Rads now.... cause I'm cured. but then he said.. but you have BCCells running around inside you.... HUH??? lol

He also said, that due to my health history, my life would be at risk with Chemo, and the advantages Chemo would give doesn't warrent that risk. (it's about the COPD, but I'm not even severe.. so i"m confused there, but the RA already lowers my immune & the 5yr on prednisone does too), but he also said, without treatment of any kind, if BC comes back (i'm assuming not just in the breast area but will the new Onc) he said it would most likely be Stage IV & INCURABLE.. could slow it down,not cure it.. How can he say that?? (did I post about this already? menopause brain?) I think I did but not sure if this thread. Anyways, what I AM choked about is the fact he said, even if I were able to have Chemo, by the time my wounds were completely healed enough & infections were promised to be gone, 2-3more months, it puts it past the window of being a viable treatment... well, damn.. my Surgeon was only Doc I was talking to about this stuff. She said, CHemo for sure, maybe in pill form, and yes, had to wait for complete healing, which at the time would've put it 6-10mths. (i'm 4months ahead of schedule for healing)... so although am trying to be positive and all that.. I have this 'anger & apprehension' in me, which is not who I really am,.. but I'm a new/diff person now.. aren't we all?? I can't help but be angry at the 2 doc's that I kept telling.. i"m sick i'm sick.. & my gp didn't swab my wound, otherwise, I would've gotten treated sooner, and not had huge wounds. oh, well.. will deal with that again.. and IF I TALK/REPEAT ABOUT IT AGAIN.. send out the white coats here.. I'll gladly go! (seriously.. let me know if i'm repeating please)

(does anyone have issues with their chest (surrounding the incisions) being hard as a rock?? and my upper chest is still sore to touch..and lumps in it, but it's believed to be scar tissue forming.. it used to fill up with fluids.. what a mess it was..but 10weeks & still skin is so owee! but wow.. hard as rock & quite a circumphrance.. I think I forgot how to spell too..

So Tazzi, now whats the plan? Ossa, are you ok? is anyone ok? I'm ok.. until this eve when I feel ill & pain hits. but.. will enjoy the day regardless

• Cher56
    edited August 2012
    Options

ps.. was going to have yard sale today/tomorrow..lol.. still bite off more than I can chew. cancelled today, didn't put up signs. but have to have it tomorrow. Packers monday & movers tuesday!!! I'm almost ready to go.. and begin a new fresh start! I'm not excited but a wee bit I am. At least I HAVE to go for walks with the dog, so it'll kick my butt into part of the excersize that I/We're supposed to do. I may have to use a walker though, damn (i'm too young), as I have a lot of trouble with feet/legs.. I can walk to wherever, it's getting back that's the problem........haha!

PSS.. Ossa.. going to FVCC for Onc.. family giving me grief as 'only the best Dr's go to Vancouver' .. i don't believe that. I'm sure there's fine Dr's in FVCC same as all over the country eh?

hugs.. and congrats to us all on making it another day! 

• Tazzy
    edited August 2012
    Options

Morning everyone.

cher - my plan is rads in about 3 weeks (methinks) for 5 weeks... then - oh! then I am planning vacations and road trips for 2013.... Oh! and a return to work too Smile

Hope you all have lovely days in Paradise.

• Laurita
    Laurita Member Posts: 4
    edited August 2012
    Options

Ladies, just wanted to pass on the sad news that suz45's battle with breast cancer ended yesterday.  She was such a beautiful spirit, always with a kind, supportive and encouraging word.  She fought long and hard and is finally in peace.

• gumshoe
    gumshoe Member Posts: 59
    edited August 2012
    Options

Thanks for posting here, Laurita. Words are never enough.

suz45 was one of the first people to welcome me to this board. I hate this f-ing disease.

• GG27
    GG27 Member Posts: 1,308
    edited August 2012
    Options

I don't post here much anymore, but was shocked to read today that Suz45 had passed away, thank you Laurita for letting us know.  My condolences to her family.  I'm with you gumshoe, I too hate this disease.

• Tazzy
    edited August 2012
    Options

I didn't not know Suz45 but am saddened to hear that another Sister has passed because of this f*cking disease.  Condolences to her family and friends.

• whaevah
    whaevah Member Posts: 282
    edited August 2012
    Options

How very sad, Suz45 started this thread, one of the first threads I read when I found the forum. I enjoyed her posts and beautiful avatar.

Condolences to her family and friends.~hugs~

fuck cancer. Yell

• cat61
    cat61 Member Posts: 53
    edited August 2012
    Options

I am so sorry to hear about Suz45, my condolences go out to her family and friends ((((hugs))))

I F#cken hate this monster Frown 

• Ossa
    edited August 2012
    Options
    Laurita.. Thank you for letting us know.. Susan reached out to me when I first joined. Even though I never met her, I feel I know her.. Such a beautiful spirit, always upbeat cheering us on.. Rest in peace my friend.. Cry  Hate this horrible disease
  • dutchgirl6
    dutchgirl6 Member Posts: 322
    edited August 2012
    Options

I thought about Susan often, it's been so long since she posted. 

Thank you for passing on this sad news, Laurita, she will be missed on these boards.  My thoughts go out to her family and friends.

Fuck cancer.Frown

• She
    edited August 2012
    Options

Suz was a lovely person, my heart goes out to her family.

Does anyone know what the arrangements are? I'm still far,far away but I'd like to try to order flowers online. If anyone has the details, please post or PM them to me.

• Ossa
    edited August 2012
    Options

She.. I am keeping an eye on the province etc. to try finding out when her service is.. I would also like to send flowers

• She
    edited August 2012
    Options

Thanks Ossa, let's do this together. If you choose the flower shop and get their website/email info and post it then anyone can chip in and add their name to the card. Most flower shops are very helpful.

When Debbie in Alaska passed several years ago so many sisters here at BCO contributed a single rose that they had to fly in a special order of roses and it made the news! I'm not suggesting that will happen now, but it is such a wonderful example of what we share here, on this website together.

• dutchgirl6
    dutchgirl6 Member Posts: 322
    edited August 2012
    Options

She, that's a great idea.  I would be honoured to contribute, please let me know, or post it publicly, if there is a way that I can.

• Ossa
    edited August 2012
    Options

She and Dutchgirl.. I have not been successful in finding out info regarding Susan's service. I have called florists in Richmond, I called a funeral home and have been checking paper, so far nothing will keep checking and post if I can find out anything..

Meanwhile I have decided to do the CIBC Run for the cure in Abbotsford on September 30 I will walk ( as I am not a runner), We are 6 survivors from work that have made up a team "four a breast" ( as there are only four real boobs among the six of us).. We will all have a special person's name  on our t-shirts, I will have Suan's name on my t-shirt Even though I never met her in person I feel I knew her as she was the first person to reach out to me when I joined these boards. She was always so encouraging and sweet. We truly have lost an angel

• marianelizabeth
    marianelizabeth Member Posts: 1,156
    edited September 2012
    Options

Ossa, just back yesterday from holidays and my younger son told me that he and his brother plan to do the Vancouver Run on the 30th that you are doing in Chillwack. No tears yet since my diagnois but I have to say that brought tears to my eyes. They hope I can do it with them. Pretty quiet on this site and I guess due to end of summer and long weekend. I hope everyone had a good one! Tazzy, you may be still camping and I see the weather has been great so hope you and your DH had or are still having an awesome time. 3 days until surgery and feel better than I have for a month now that it is finally so close!

CoolMarian 

• Ossa
    edited September 2012
    Options

marian.. That is a nice thing your boys are doing, hope you will be able to join them. good luck with your upcoming surgery. Will jump in your pocket and be there during your surgery. Don't remember if you are having lumpectomy or mastectomy (sorry chemo brain) Either way good luck and good riddance to C..

• marianelizabeth
    marianelizabeth Member Posts: 1,156
    edited September 2012
    Options

lumpectomy and SNB.

• Tazzy
    edited September 2012
    Options

Thanks Marian.  Had a great time camping.  Unfortunately weather wasn't as good as there or here.... Revelstoke can be pretty damp.   But we didn't let it dampen our fun.

Even before I was dx'd I always volunteered at the CIBC run for the cure - would like to be able to walk it this year, but dont know how I will feel once on rads... but its not a race so I may just join up with the team at work.

enjoy you weather in the lower mainland...beautiful here too.

I am off to a B.R.A.G. (Breast Recovery Awareness Group) workshop this afternoon.  Something the Cancer Agency runs for 3 weeks.   Then I meet with a LE PT afterwards to get checked out.

Hope everyone has a great Wednesday.