Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Canadians in British Columbia

Comments

• gumshoe
    gumshoe Member Posts: 59
    edited July 2012

akmom, well you have news on both ends of the spectrum. Congrats on the upcoming grandchild! But, re the celiac disease: really? You haven't gone through enough this year? Why does it take so long to get a biopsy? I too have missed more work this year than I have in my whole life!

Ossa, Yes, we have had a few storms like that lately -- I was cowering on the couch last week with the dog while listening to the loudest thunder I've ever heard!

Tazzy: Yes, when they HAVE to! I have to bite my tongue sometimes when he comes home from the store with a brand of something we have never, ever used :) He has been so great.

Everyone: When you remove your contact lenses, the toothpaste looks exactly like the tube of Canesten. But it definitely does not taste the same.

• Ossa
    Ossa Member Posts: 685
    edited July 2012

Tazzy.. four of  my relatives were here last year.. so three who have never been to Canada.. they are going to get a real taste of mosquitoes as they are horrible right now.. Doesn't help thatwelivecloser to the fraser.. have a stream going thru our property and have lots of trees.. Guess we will be stocking up on bugspray.. Last year I did not get to fully enjoy my relatives as I was in the middle of chemo and ended up in the hospital when they were here.. have to make up for it this year

• akmom
    akmom Member Posts: 98
    edited July 2012

Gumshoe, eeeuwww! not the best flavoured toothpaste ever, I bet.... :)

Ossa, hope you enjoy your visitors this year, too bad about the skeeters. Are they coming from Sweden? (Your relatives, I mean, not the mosquitos...) Wink

• Ossa
    edited July 2012

akmom.. No they are coming from Norway (the relativesTongue out the mosquitoes are coming from the trees by our houseLaughing) good guess though

Gumshoe.. eeuww..Undecided

• gumshoe
    edited July 2012

Hahaha -- Norwegian mosquitoes in Chilliwack!

• Ossa
    edited July 2012

Laughing

• Tazzy
    Tazzy Member Posts: 1,442
    edited July 2012
    Ossa: Bugs... when we were camping last weekend - all the adults sprayed like mad, but the only child there had one of those Off Clip Ons... the kid was bug free all weekend. How nice that you can make up for lost time this year. Have fun.

Gumshoe... makes me happy I don't wear contacts - eeewww !!

Just saw the news - did any of you see the Northern Lights in Abbotsford and area last night. I would absolutely love to see them.

Hope you are all having a great weekend. I am taking it easy today. Had a busy week and am achy. To those recovering, wishing you healing thoughts.
  • Tazzy
    edited July 2012

Question: Does anyone know if mastectomy bras are the same as postop camisoles for MX's?  

• Ossa
    edited July 2012
    I did not see any northern lighs here last nightFrown  Have seen them before both in Norway and when we lived in Abbotsford
  • gumshoe
    edited July 2012

Tazzy, I think they are different. I was always told that the bras are for 6 weeks post-surgery (so, what you would wear as a regular bra).

I have swelled up like a balloon again, so will be trying to find someone to see me tomorrow, who isn't on vacation. My PS left the day of my surgery. Sigh.

• Tazzy
    edited July 2012

Thanks for the info Gumshoe - hope your swelling goes down soon - doesn't sound nice at all.

• She
    She Member Posts: 131
    edited July 2012

Gumshoe, hope your swelling is down today.

Ossa, when does your family arrive?

AKmom how are you doing?

Tazzy, sorry, I know nothing about mx bras.  I do know nothing fits after DIEP .....  and I'm sure that helps lol.

Is anyone up for brunch this weekend (21st or 22nd) or next (28th or 29th)?  Surrey is probably best so Gumshoe doesn't have far to go (if she's up to coming out....).  Tazzy, that's a bit of a road trip for a brunch, but you know you're more than welcome :)

• Tazzy
    edited July 2012

Thanks She - you know any other time I think I'd make arrangments and make a weekend of it... visit friends I haven't seen in a while.   But busy both those weekends... cramming in as much social life before surgery date.   Sounds like great fun, and would love to see pictures of the brunch and all you ladies.

• Ossa
    edited July 2012

My family is coming the 22nd saying until Aug.9  So the only time I could make it would be the 21 or after aug.9..

• akmom
    edited July 2012

She, I am expecting to be on the Island with the new grandbaby on both weekends, sorry!

Gumshoe, hope things are okay, thinking of you xo

• akmom
    edited July 2012

Just found out that I am no longer eligible to donate blood, thanks to being diagnosed with DCIS... Was hoping that after a year or so it would be okay, but apparently not :(

• Ossa
    edited July 2012
    akmom.. had the same problem ..can never donate again Cry
  • cathy67
    cathy67 Member Posts: 411
    edited July 2012

Ossa,

I am studying manulife insurance product now, and will talk to an advisor tomorrow. I am not sure how much a patient needs to pay for drug if only covered under government MSP, I know, situation by situation, but I need a rough picture. Can you share me how useful your manulife insurance helps you on top of MSP?

Thanks.

• Ossa
    edited July 2012

cathy67.. My Manulife extended medical that I have trough work covers 90% of prescriptions, We have a choice of coverage at work.. One type covers 80% and one 90%

• cathy67
    edited July 2012

Thanks Ossa!

I am a homemaker, and my husband works in Seattle, so we only have government MSP coverage in Canada. If I remember correctly, BC MSP does not cover drugs. I remember I paid all the drug expense for my daughter when she was sick.

Roughly how expensive the drug will be? They have multiply choices, don't know how to choose. 

• cat61
    cat61 Member Posts: 53
    edited July 2012

She, I can make it on the 29th of July, I'm off of work ! Let me know if any other dates come up. I can always work something out for whatever date is good for everyone else. Let us know.

Had my second to last time for my fill ups. Its really uncomfortable this time, tight. PS says one more fill up and he will set surgery date for implant !! yeah to my new floob. Smile 

• Ossa
    edited July 2012

cathy67.. All the chemo and radiation, surgery  and reconstruction will be covered.. it will be the steroids and painkillers (if needed) you will have to pay for

• cathy67
    edited July 2012

Ossa, thanks, so useful info.

Take care.

• gumshoe
    edited July 2012

She, that's so sweet of you to think of places that are close (I'm actually on the Langley border!), but I'm not up to going out just yet.

I ended up at the breast health clinic yesterday because the home health nurse really messed up on my last visit. Long story, but also: She showed up here wearing a tank top and no bra. Very unprofessional anytime, but have some consideration when visiting a mastectomy patient....

So I had to have a surgeon look at me while at the clinic. I also saw a plastic surgeon (mine's on vacation), who thinks my skin/nipple might be giving up the ghost. He ended up removing 50 cc's from the expanders. And now I'm having to slather on a cream used mostly for burn victims. Ugh. So I see him again on Friday. Sad thing is, I kind of liked him more than my usual PS.

Cathy67, you might want to look into Blue Cross also -- I know some people who use that for prescription coverage but I don't know anything about it.

akmom, I had no idea about DCIS and blood donation. That seems a bit strict.

• Tazzy
    edited July 2012

Cathy: hope you get your insurance sorted out. Cant imagine having to worry about that on top of our dx.

Gumshoe: The home care RN did what? OMG! That's just too awful for words... you'd think that a nurse would have a little more compassion eh?  

Hoping you are all enjoying your days.

• Cher56
    Cher56 Member Posts: 140
    edited July 2012

Hi BCer Gals!! thanks so much Suz for starting this forum! I`ve usually been posting in the canadians .. whatever.. never know where I`m posting lol. my story is a `mastectomy gone wrong`story. I`ll bring ya all up to speed later though as it`s long. maybe some of you have already read some of my posts. I`m still battling all the infections they gave me in the OR after taking my breasts. A thought just occurred.. why do some get bugs from the OR and some dont`?? this is week 5 after the surgery. BMX was me, and due to COPD & RA I`m not a candidate for RADS so, BMX was only way for me to choose. 

I`m finally at home with a portable IV & have learned how to do all the changes. I did have the VAC Dressing Machine.. a miracle machine on for 5 days, but infection came back or waiting to hear if it`s new or old or what.

I`m in Maple Ridge, surgery & treatments will be at Ridge Meadows Hosp. with Dr. Yu as the MO. my surgery - june 14. my appt with him is Aug 14th. but cannot have treatments until my wound (from 1 under arm to the other, with tunnels & underminings and was about 22cm`s on the right side & 18cm on left, not counting the undermining.) what a mess.

everyone says.. WTG for hanging in there.. but what choice do I have LOL. except a nurse said yesterday how strong I am because I don`t lay in bed, I keep trudging onwards & trying to do more. this horror has been so emotional, wrecked my financial situation & well, forget reconstruction.. no way will a knife come near me again unless it`s the only choice.

well, I`m glad it`s cooler today.. hope you all enjoy the sun & the coolness!

talk soon

Cherie 

• gumshoe
    edited July 2012

Tazzy, I found that the home care nurses were hit and miss. I had one really great one, one who wouldn't stop talking, one who didn't show up, and the last one -- who not only showed up looking like she was ready for the beach, but she also caused some problems after she removed the last drain. Don't worry -- this was ALL her, and the drain removal itself was easy-peasy :)

Cher, I answered you on the other forum!

• She
    She Member Posts: 131
    edited July 2012

Oh Gumshoe, so sorry you're going through all this.  We'll get together next time I come back, probably October/November.  (I'm leaving in early Aug.)

Hi Cher, glad you found this thread.  Sorry you're having so many problems too. 

Akmom, Ossa is correct, once we have cancer they don't want our blood any more.  The only consolation I've been able to come up with is the number of mosquitos I've 'poisoned' (chemo, rads, tamox,.....) over the last 16 years lol.

Ossa, since it looks like it will be just the two of us would you like to wait until I'm back later this fall?

Ohhhhhh there's a beautiful little doe trying to pick what's left of the cherries in my back yard!  Working from home has its rewards lolz.

• Ossa
    edited July 2012

welcome here cher.. I also answered you on the other tread

She.. sounds good let us know when you are back.. by then gumshoe and cher should be healed up nicely

hahaha on the poisoning of Mosquitoes.. Think I must have poisoned over a hundred this past week

beautiful three point buck and a doe in our yard this morning as I was leaving for work.. Was a few minutes late for work   did not want to scare them..

• akmom
    edited July 2012

Hi gals, over on the island enjoying my new grandbaby. She and her big sister (almost 3) are brightening my life big time! Life is good and I am grateful for every minute. xoxoxo love and hugs to all :)