Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

February 2012 Chemo

Comments

• moonflwr912
    moonflwr912 Member Posts: 5,938

Yes, considering the alternative, living wins for me! LOL

• christina0001
    christina0001 Member Posts: 449

Got a call just now from my gyn with overall reasonably good news. The biopsy and bloodwork yesterday do not indicate any sort of cancer. I am perimenopausal as the most; doctor said she would not be surprised nor alarmed if I started menstruating again in the future. The CT scan reveals what does look like a benign fibroid. on the back of the uterus. It is not the mushroom shape we hoped for, it is solidly glued to a large area of the uterus. I also have a cyst on my left ovary, which appears benign and the bloodwork supports the belief that it is benign. 
    Dr. says to go have my recon surgery. She wants me to come back in one month to do an ultrasound of the ovary to see if they cyst has gone away or changed. She said she does recommend a hysterectomy, but that it needs to wait until I am "completely cleared" by my reconstructive surgeon, which she said could be up to 3-4 months post-surgery. She said that as there is no indication that anything is cancerous, it is fine to wait.
    Hmmm... sounds like the holidays are not going to be too much fun... at least that gives me time to build my paid time off back up. I am really relieved that this can be put off for a while and that life does not have to be put on hold; so sick of my life getting held up by cancer and related health issues.

• moonflwr912

Christina, doing a happy dance for you!!!!! Glad the breaks went your way for a change.

• Myleftboob
    Myleftboob Member Posts: 983

Awesome news Christine!!

• ali68
    ali68 Member Posts: 644

Christina, sounds good. Xx

• lumpynme
    lumpynme Member Posts: 497

christina; i think since there is no "urgency" about removing the firbroid this good- however- i still think it should go!

long week behind us- feels like more than 5 work days...ready for bed!

• lumpynme

hey!

we're falling behind again...almost to page two...

sending hugs and prayers for a wonderful week for all of us...check in......

• Myleftboob

Hello All

The humidity is gone and its a stunner of a day! A/C replaced by open windows, love it.    Off for a walk.  Enjoy your Sunday everyone!

• christina0001

Hope everyone has had a great weekend. We've had our two grandsons, ages 4 and 2, all weekend (technically my stepgrandsons). For me, there is nothing that erases stress from my mind like playing with those two boys. Playing with them and caring for them takes me to a place where I don't think about medical/health stuff, work, nothing at all other than making sure they are having a fun time and have all their needs met. Yesterday morning we took them to a local park and fed bread to the geese, ducks and swans; the boys had a great time! Today we have just been relaxing in the house, and playing with toys.

• dltnhm
    dltnhm Member Posts: 420

Christina -

So sorry for all this stuff you've been getting hit with lately. Glad to hear that the doc found no new cancer and that your recon can go ahead as planned. Still it stinks that you have this fibroid and that it is not attached the simple way.

Love to hear about your time with the grands.

Ali - so sorry to hear about the lymphedema diagnosis. My surgeon had me referred to a PT for lymphedema prevention following my mastectomy and immediate recon. I just had to wait to be cleared by my PS. My PT is the lymphedema expert so I was connected with the best. I had cording develop flowing the surgery and she took care of that as well as performing lymphatic drainage and teaching me self MLD. Saw her throughout most of my chemo and then after rads too.

Just recently I've had some new cords appear - a year + after getting rid of the others. And I wanted to discuss truncal lymphedema with her. She has been measuring me right along - so we definitely have a track record to reference. And oh my goodness what a difference it made to have her perform lymphatic massage on my truncal area.

Also - my doc sent me for a sleeve and gauntlet so that I would have it for flying, exercising, long trips in the car, etc.

Push to be able to get connected with a certified lymphatic physical therapist with tons of experience. There is no substitute. Hugs sweetie!

• christina0001

So since I have had a SLN biopsy, do I need a compression sleeve if I fly? I have not had time to fly since I was diagnosed, but normally I fly about once a year.

• dltnhm

Christina -

The information that I have read from many reputable websites, from many, many women who have lymphedema, and been told by my PT ... is that having nodes removed (no matter the number) puts one at risk for lymphedema.

Many women have never been given the information and/or have never sought out the info on lymphedema prevention.

No needle sticks in the arm on that side, no iv's, no blood pressure on that side either. Use sunscreen liberally and cover up to prevent sunburn. Make certain to use bug spray as insect bites can cause flares or the onset if le. Keep yourself moisturized to prevent skin breakage. Don't cut cuticles. Etcetera Etcetera Etcetera.

It's a lot to take in. I read about it before my surgery so knew it could be a possibility but still had no idea how vigilant I would need to be with this. And honestly sometimes I think I'm not as vigilant as I should be.

But I am thankful for the nurse that met with me in the hospital who also went over LE prevention and gave me literature.

So ... Knowing what I know ... Even if I'd only had a couple nodes removed, I'd have obtained a sleeve for LE prevention. And definitely for flying.

Hugs!

• Myleftboob

Got a all from the Doctor this morning that performed my colonoscopy.  The path report came in all clear!  The two polyps removed he said weren't even close to becoming cancerous!  Thank God!  BTW did I mention how friggin handsome this doctor was LOL!

• gonegirl
    gonegirl Member Posts: 1,022

Wonderful!

• christina0001

dltnhm - thanks for the information, I really appreciate it. The first surgeon I saw, that did my lx and my SNL, was basically an idiot and I never got any LE information. I guess I will need to invest in a sleeve one of these days.

mlb - wonderful news! and LOL at you drooling over your handsome doctor!!!

• moonflwr912

MLB, LOL. But I am happy at least you had "scenery" doing the colonoscopy! LOL

• Myleftboob

Yes, it was nice having that distraction LOL!  Although the result was truly the best part.   Good to go for another 5 years

• gonegirl

My oncologist, who is very thorough, wanted me to have a colonscopy last year. When I talked to the gastroenterologist, I said, how about we wait until next year. I'm having enough done to me right now as it is. So next year let the fun begin. But my uncle told me he goes to someone whose prep is drinking just a liter of something, from what I understand. If the gastro at George Washington University Hospital says gallon, I'm going to the doc my uncle uses.  The evening will be bad enough without choking down a gallon. Uck.

• lumpynme

MLB; whooooooo hoooooooooo !!!!

• Myleftboob

Grit

I was prescribed the litre package and even had the barcode for the stuff on my BB.  The pharmacist grabbed the gallon jug and I assumed he was giving me the correct thing.  I mixed it per the instructions, then double checked the info and sure enough it wasn't the same. Called the clinic and yes it was missing some pills (stool softener) but essentially it would do the trick.  Since I already spent the $30 odd bucks I figured what the H.  Next time though I'll demand the other.  It tasted aweful.  Worst part of the whole deal AND I had to drink a gallon of the stuff!!

The procedure itself was a breeze

• dltnhm

MLB,

That's great news! Woot. Woot.

• lumpynme

we're almost on page two again....

nice cooler days here- working many many hours-coming home exhausted! not really feeling up to snuff today.

hoping to get some yardwork done tomorrow if it's not raining....

• dltnhm

MLB and Grit -

I turn 50 in November. So it will be my turn for the colonoscopy then.

Lumpy - sorry you're not up to snuff. I cannot imagine all the time you put in.

We're off to Michigan in the morning - Kalamazoo, Gaylord tomorrow; Mackinac Island and Mackinac City on Monday; driving the UP on the return trip Tuesday and stopping in Green Bay to your Lambeau Field (Wednesday and home that night).

It'll be a whirlwind in some respect - but we get to do it with all our sons before big changes hit in August.

Thursday I have my labs drawn for my 3 month appointment with my oncologist on the 8th. Have to have pre-op clearance check with bloodwork that day too. (Outpatient surgery to remove more of my skin plank) And PT on Thursday morning too.

Hugs to everyone!

• lumpynme

safe journeys diane! you're travelling thru my old stomping grounds!

• moonflwr912

Diane, have fun, weather is all over the board up there! It got down to 49 degrees here in Port. Can't imagine it being warmer up Nort! LOL

Well, I had a mini job for the first time since chemo yesterday. I booked a party and did Tarot readings for four hours. Got home at 1:00 am, slept till noon. But actually felt good doing something. It was a graduation party, and it wasn't surprising that the same cards kept showing up, ie, journey, seperation, crossroads, money, etc. LOL I actually felt like my old self. But this morning, or rather, this afternoon, had to take pain pills. LOL much love to all.

• Hildy910
    Hildy910 Member Posts: 227

So here I am up in a cabin in NH with the kids--solo because DH has to work this week.

In the meantime I am increasingly convinced that the rash on my left --lymphedema --arm is cellulitis.

I'm already taking the antibiotics script the plastic surgeon gave me to keep on hand for this very reason. It still seems to be spreading so I guess the kids and I will head to the ER to get it checked today, but part of me wonders if I should come home to have it looked at instead.

Plus, my daughter has a friend who is supposed to come in today--should I cancel that? What if they want me to stay overnight at the hospital? I know I'm being paranoid but on the other hand it's a possibility.

And I don't even know who, if anybody, on my BC medical team to notify about this. It's not oncology, The doctor has made that clear. I really need a dermatologist with experience in LE.

I think I'll check in with the plastic surgeon as am concerned about losing implants to infection.

So. Pissed.

• gonegirl

Hildy. Breast surgeon and plastic surgeon. Is there a breast center near where you are?

• ali68
    ali68 Member Posts: 644

Hildy, call everyone till you get the right person. xx

• lumpynme

wow. hildy... the uncertainty is overwhelming, eh?

nothing new on my front....hugs...prayers................

• gonegirl

Let us know how you fare, hildy