Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

February 2012 Chemo

Comments

• moonflwr912
    moonflwr912 Member Posts: 5,938

Firstcall, Will your body be recovered enough to do tx in two days? That would be my decisive point. that's my input. Goodluck

• gonegirl
    gonegirl Member Posts: 1,022

Defer

• christina0001
    christina0001 Member Posts: 449

moonflwr - there's no such thing as TMI here. And you just gotta do what you gotta do to get through this.

firstcall - that is tough to say. It sounds like you really want to try to do it, and if you are like me, a couple of days before a treatment, you are feeling pretty good. So maybe it is worth a shot. But the safest choice would be to wait and defer until next year.

I am surprised that I still have stubble on my head. Not a lot of course, but a fair amount. I thought I'd have a smooth head. My legs are smooth... Does everyone else still have some stubble left? Will my head stay like this or will it eventually become totally smooth?

• moonflwr912

Christina, stubble here too. Weird, but my brows are really thin.

• Myleftboob
    Myleftboob Member Posts: 983

firstcall

That's pretty hot.  I would worry about dehydration but you know yourself best and you are an experienced runner (I am not).  Don't feel badly if you defer to next year though if you're not up to the heat.  Its sounds to me like you really want to run though.

• AEM47
    AEM47 Member Posts: 177

Firstcall - wow is that a tough decision.  If I were you....I'd have to ask myself - if my last treatment got delayed, would I be okay with that?  Can I live with that potential reprocussion.  If I would be upset or regret the delay, then I would defer.  If on the other hand, you can say you'd be okay with a delay IF it happened, then go for it.  It is going to be VERY hot but, you know yourself better than anyone.  Personally, and it's just my thoughts, If I was to run that race, I'd really want to give it all I could.  "I" would not be able to do that right now and might feel that I had wasted a chance to really experience this race.  I hope this doesn't sound terrible, I'm just throwing out some thoughts.

• Gayle56
    Gayle56 Member Posts: 111

Firstcall - Just the fact you, a dr., are asking for opinions makes me think you have doubts about it.  I say defer and not push the envelope.

Gayle

• faithhopenluv
    faithhopenluv Member Posts: 154

Firstcall - I think the opportunity to defer means that next year you can do it with confidence that you will finish, and finish healthy. Training for it has helped you get through chemo by keeping you active and driven. You have achieved your goal with that. An extremely admirable goal.

• JenH13
    JenH13 Member Posts: 155

Firstcall- You now your body better than anyone.  If there are doubts then I would say either walk it or defer. Thats really hot! Is the marathon in the am or afternoon high? If you defer it would be a great 1 yr anniversary celebration to actually run and finish just like you want!

Either way know we are behind you and support you!

• Myleftboob

Christina

My stubble hung on and its is definatley growing too.  It like fuzzy white LOL!  I can feel stubble on my my legs.  My eyebrows are thin but there there and a few eyelashes too. I still have this Friday's TX to go and I really though #3 would have taken out the stubble but it didn't.

• DonnaDS
    DonnaDS Member Posts: 23

Firstcall    Whether you run, walk, or defer have no regrets.

• Love74
    Love74 Member Posts: 60

MLB - Do you have hair on your arms still? My stubble is growing too...head and legs. my brows have thinned a little but I still have all my lashes.

Have any of you had port issues? I have a small area in my incision that won't heal and keeps leaking blood. The doc said it was ok at last tx but its starting to bug me.

• Myleftboob

Love74

I do still have hair on my arms. No no port issues, that would bug me too.

• Msbelle
    Msbelle Member Posts: 160

Firstcal- as a doctor, what would you tell us to do??

• AEM47
    AEM47 Member Posts: 177

Firstcall - they have bumped the temperature for monday to 89 !!

• firstcall
    firstcall Member Posts: 201

Thank you, thank you, to each of you for your comments and support.  I have decided to defer my run to next year.  I had to think long and hard about it, its not easy to back off from a marathon.  But I have benefited greatly by having this to look forward to as I've gone through my surgeries and chemo.  It has helped me to stay as active as possible.  I think the thing that cemented my decision is that I dont want to mess up my chemo on Wed.  If my blood work has anything funny, they will post pone my final treatment, and I have too much invested in my treatment to let that happen.  I think that doing 26.2 miles in 90 deg weather 2 days before my chemo would put me at risk.  I would have a hard time rehydrating by then, and I don't want to post pone my chemo.  I've had a good trip, attended a very good medical conference, and I think this is what I would advise someone else to do.  Thank you again everyone, you are all wonderful.  

• Myleftboob

firstcall

Good call.  There will be next year and you will be stronger than ever.  I know you're 2 days ahead of me for that last TX.  I would hate to have to postpone mine because I want to be done with it once and for all and move on.

• moonflwr912

I can save I am relieved, I wanted you to defer, but I didn't want to make the call for you! I know next year you.will be doing it in joy and running for us all!

• lumpynme
    lumpynme Member Posts: 497

i have to say that looking fwd to next year is a real motivator, firstcall!i know that the decision was not easy.

MLB i am so glad that you enjoyed your evening and i agree that your friends(non attendees) were the losers .

moonflwr-big hugs to you!!!!

i don't have head regrowth yet but the hair that i shoulda shaved and didn't lose is growing longer!leg hair growing very very slowly-tomorrow is 3 weeks since last chemo....brows hanging on but thin....

i have taken a carload of stuff to storage today while i am still able to lift; changed sheets, cat box, done two loads of laundry and am packed much as i can til morniing for my cpap--really nbot taking  much with me! i do have the laptop packed but not sure  whether or not i will feel up to getting online.

tonite i'll take my shower before bed and remove my lil earrings in my second hole- they haven't been out since 2004! already took the toe nail polish off and am about as ready as i can be....

i'm such a wuss for pain tho that i am worried about my arm! hubby is a nervous wreck!

have to be at hospital at 845- prayers accepted!

sending positive vibes and hugs to all! oh-it's 80* here in ohio!

• Myleftboob

Lumpynme

What's a CPAP??

• gonegirl
    gonegirl Member Posts: 1,022

Good luck, lumpy. our thoughts and prayers will be with you.

• Sissydi
    Sissydi Member Posts: 183

Anybody doing A/C whose struggling with intense indigestion? I've had a constant pain in my tummy since Wed. .Monday I had my third A/C. I'm on Pepcid, 24 hr., and zofran, then I called the onc Friday and he said to take Gas-x, which still isn't helping much. I'm hungry, I'm just getting tired of eating bland :(

• firstcall
    firstcall Member Posts: 201

lumpynme - you have done chemo - you can do surgery.  chemo is harder.  

• ali68
    ali68 Member Posts: 644

Firstcall it is the right thing to do my doc told me I might not be able to do last chemo. She said my blood count will be very low and was worried that I take extra care and take my temperature.

Omg about the toilet problem this has been happening to me last couple of days. I thought I was getting old so glad it's a SE.

Port, my is sore, weepy and won't heal had some swabs done.

Update on my mum, got a scrap of paper in the post with her address and number. When I say scrap I mean it. No nice card with love and kisses or so sorry this has happened. It won't upset me that happened many years ago.

Watched my youngest daugher jumping on her horse today brought tears to my eyes- soppy I know.

• Myleftboob

Lumpynme

I agree with firstcall. Having had surgery first, I too think it was easier than chemo.

• ali68
    ali68 Member Posts: 644

Lumpynme good luck for Surgery you will be fine.

Xx

• moonflwr912

Lumpy, you will do fine. Praying for you. Ali, I hope your port is ok. Sorry you are having problems.

• mthrdee
    mthrdee Member Posts: 68

lumpy - good luck - an LX is a walk in the park after chemo - honest

Sissy - my Onc has me taking pliosec everyday and it is the only thing that worked for the indegestion and heartburn

(((Hugs to all))) 

• faithhopenluv
    faithhopenluv Member Posts: 154

Good luck lumpy - you are in my thoughts!

Sissydi - I had annoying indigestion. Almost like a tightness in my throat, maybe acid reflux, not really sure what it was but it wasn't so much in my stomach as much as the rest of my digestive tract. Is that what your having?

Firstcall - I look forward to cheering you on next year.

• JenH13
    JenH13 Member Posts: 155

Prayers and good thoughts coming your way Lumpy!!