Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

February 2012 Chemo

Comments

• lumpynme
    lumpynme Member Posts: 497

firstcall-you were posting as i typed-

what a wonderful memory of the bread baking! my adopted mom was not  good in kitchen or sewing so i learned all from my grandmother and my step mother and school--

• Myleftboob
    Myleftboob Member Posts: 983

Jen

Ah family, out laws at that.  No he doesn't get it. I sure hope he's not expecting more than a bed though.  Just go about the things you need to accomplish and tell him your out of commission for any entertaining.  I'm sure you're Mom will run any interferance for you if needed.

firstcall

Sorry to hear about your Mom.  What a lovely sentiment baking those rolls especially today.

Lumpy

Well I guess one way to wrap your head around the new job and TX is that its 4x to get through it.  I just hope you don't overdo it especially since your considering a move too!

• JenH13
    JenH13 Member Posts: 155

The really funny thing is my other brother-in-law lives 2 blocks from me, I kid you not! Same neighborhood and our kids ride the same bus. Their daughter and my son are 3 days apart.  Guess how many times I have seen them or they have called or even stopped over? yep none!  My in laws are so very odd... Yes they are getting up early on Sat am to go to the race. hope they dont mind I dont get up with them... wonder if they know I have 2 big dogs. hehehe

Firstcall, memories are such a wonderful precious thing. I was very close to my grandmother who died 3 months before my daughter was born. I talk about her all the time and now my daughter will mention things she used to do or did for me even though she never got the chance to meet her.  I bet your rolls today were wonderful! and I am sure your mother is very proud of you for being the wonderful man she raised. (hug)

• Myleftboob

Jen

That is a little bizarre that your BIL wants to stay with you with his brother living so close.

I know exactly how you feel about weird in laws. My BIL hasn't called, returned calls, email notta since I've been DX from him or his wife.  Since DH only had today off and his Mom lives quite far away, he called and we will get there in a couple of weeks. His brother was there and didn't ask to speak to him or anything.   I don't care if he called me but I know DH would have appreciated a call from him.  Yet surprisingly his sister who he really isn't close to anyone called me a few times to see how I was doing.  Weird.

• firstcall
    firstcall Member Posts: 201

mlb - Yes, it is nice that there is a concenses for no Rads.  Its hard to get many breaks in this deal, nice to have that, for sure. 

Jen - That is just not right. Clearly they are thinking of themselves, not you.  Don't be afraid to stick up for yourself if you need to.  One of the lines I've used is something like.....'I realize that you don't really understand what its like to be in chemo....'  That usually puts them a little on the defensive and they start trying to come across a little differently.  And if that doesnt work, I may follow it by saying....'If you understood what chemo is like you wouldnt have said (or asked) that'.  We don't get a lot of breaks in this process, but don't be afraid to pull the chemo card.  If you express your doubt that they understand, that puts more pressure on them to demonstrate their understanding.  It doesn't work with everyone, but works with many.   

• ali68
    ali68 Member Posts: 644

Jen, you are being too nice I woudn't have anyone in my house when having chemo. I'm still getting SE from last one, sore mouth and tongue, pain and burning in my arm which I used for chemo but haven't for last three, burning feeling when I eat or drink, can't feel my face, my eyes have sunken even more they look so small, hair is falling out in clumps why did I bother with cold cap, feet peeling, piles as big as boulders, still no period they stopped on chemo 4.

Apart from that I'm doing really well hehe

Firstcall, you were very blessed with your mum, I never had a good time with my mum she was very selfish and still is. I hope my kids think better of me and the job I've done.

• gonegirl
    gonegirl Member Posts: 1,022

Ali, are you done with chemo? I hope so.

I'm doing ok. Just had number 3 of 7 more chemos.  I was very depressed for a while but doing a little better now. It is what it is.

• Myleftboob

Jen

My sister had a similar experience with her daughter when she was a baby.  My neice was born in 1998 and my dad passed in 1986.  Many times when she was just starting to talk she would mention "Papa", the name all the grandchildren called my Dad.  Yet she was so young and no one really had addressed who he was yet. There were quite a few instances but I'll just give you one.  My sister was doing laundry and had her daughter sitting on a blanket playing with a couple of toys in the laundry room.  She was playing with a fisher price phone and she says "Mama, the phone's for you", my sister decides to play along and says ask them to hang on a minute but who is it?, she responds Papa Long". LOL, my sister says the hairs stood up on her neck so she answered and says "Hello".  Of course no one was there,but his little girl was under 2 and had no idea what our surname was. I could go on and on because there were quite a few more times when things like this happened.  My Dad never met my sisters children, yet from a very early age she could name him in old pictures.

At the end of the day I really think our loved ones that have passed do pop by from time to time. I don't think it ends here on earth at all.

• ali68

hi gritgirl,  i have finished chemo but still getting SE. Glad your feeling a bit better i know it's hard dealing with this Cancer. My hair is a mess bald on top and patches on the sides, with long hair below my chin. I'm thinking get it all chopped short and start from scratch but hubby says leave it. The thing is i have sticky out ears and i hate them, your pic look so chic i wish i could look as good as yours, not sure if yours is growing back yet.

• Gayle56
    Gayle56 Member Posts: 111

Gritgirl - Glad you are feeling a bit better.

Ali68  I am still very achy, especially my legs and stairs sometimes are horrible to go up and down.  I am hoping

that will start to pass soon. 

Jen  no one would be visiting me either while going through the chemo, sometimes we just have to learn to say no and not feel bad about it. 

• Hildy910
    Hildy910 Member Posts: 227

Firstcall, I love that you did that, and thank you for telling us about it. What a wonderful way to honor your mom, by spending time on activiity that evokes such warm memories. 

Lumpy, at work! Hope it's going well.  

Ali, at least it's the last one! I hope the SE's are abating a bit.

Gritgirl, v. happy to see you back, sucks that you are still dealing, but I hope these extra doses are shrinking that nasty bugger back to NED land.  

And Jen, that stinks. People are just so freaking oblivious at times.  I find that poeple either think chemo has rendered me completely incapable of sentient thought or action, or that they think I'm imagining the entire thing.  Then there are the few, the proud, the ones with common sense. 

• gonegirl

ali, i'm still getting chemo so no hair growing back at all.  such is life.  just taking it a week at a time. actually, taking it one day at a time. this has got to end at some point, right?

• schatzi14
    schatzi14 Member Posts: 906

It will...you will see fuzz when you least expect it...I started to get a little fuzz when I was halfway thru Taxol.

• schatzi14
    schatzi14 Member Posts: 906

It will...you will see fuzz when you least expect it...I started to get a little fuzz when I was halfway thru Taxol.

• ali68

Gritgirl, I know what you are going through with chemo I can honestly say I was terrified having it as I knew how bad I was going to feel. I have decided if I ever need chemo again I'm not having cold cap. I think me and you have the worse stage you can have with breast cancer. My lymph nodes are near my collarbone and neck and at one point they thought I was stage 4. My surgeon gives me 18 months before my cancer comes back and maybe spreads. She is very happy the chemo is working well and when I see her she hugs me and says I'm her special patient. It is very hard dealing with late stage cancer as however much we try and be happy and think we are going to live a long time in the back of our mind we are very scared.

All I keep thinking is if I can live till my youngest is at college I'll be happy ( 4 years)

All we can do is keep going and enjoy the little things in life.

• gonegirl

Ali, I'm going to go with both you and me doing ok.  Sounds like, even with your side effects, you've been very responsive to chemo, just like I have.  I was listening to a talk about late stage cancer, and they were saying they really can't predict who will do well and who won't. It depends on body chemistry, the chemistry of the cancer itself, etc.  I just have to figure I'm responding well so that's where it's at.

• moonflwr912
    moonflwr912 Member Posts: 5,938

Grit and Ali, you are both coping, that's good. I am betting on you both. Blessings to both of you. Hang in there, we love you guys. Much love.

• lumpynme
    lumpynme Member Posts: 497

had a good day at work! at work! love saying that!!!! confession-by noon i wanted a nap! and law and order withdrawal had set in!tomorrow i get to see my desk!

it's funny about the hair regrowth....no sense or order- one would almost think that the first to go would be first to return? nahhhhh

one thought that i have about ppl's stupid remarks re our chemo--many folks i have spoken with who have had chemo for other reasons have not had the SE's --they just aren't "the same"...so they cannot relate-AND we do look too good-AND those of us who are finished -even me when i finished the first round--  are just that in their minds- finished all better good to go...NOT!!!!!!!!!!! but that's what they think!

anyhow-thinking of you all!!!!

• moonflwr912

I am so happy for you lumpy, and tomorrow will be even better! Yay for jobs.

• JudyP
    JudyP Member Posts: 35

Today was my last chemo!!!  I am so happy, that I was laughing and joking with my MIL all through TX.  I'm sure people thought we were nuts!(wouldn't be the first time)  I'm so lucky to have the best MIL in the world. 

I haven't been here for a while as TX# 5 left me wiped out most days.  I'm buzzing on steroids now so lots of things are getting done.

I still have herceptin for the rest of the year, but hopefully that will be easy. 

I still have my eyebrows and eyelashes(a bit thin) but watching to see if they will go with this last treatment.  I also still have hair on my head and it has been growing some.  Very weird and far from attractive! Ha-ha!

Gritgirl, so so sorry that you have to do more chemo...you have every right to feel angry and depressed.  Hang in there we are all pulling for you.

Judy

• Myleftboob

Yay Lumpy!  Nice to get that first day under your belt.  I agree with people having no idea what its like to walk a mile in our shoes, but then again how could they.  It can be frustrating though sometimes.

• JenH13
    JenH13 Member Posts: 155

YAY Judy!  Very happy for you!

Yay for Lumpy! How wonderful for you to be working today :)

• moonflwr912

Happy dance for Judy! Yay

• Myleftboob

That's awesome Judy!  I'll be right there with your on the Herceptin train for the rest of the year too.  Just had my first one last Friday.

• firstcall
    firstcall Member Posts: 201

Woo Hoo Judy!!!

• Myleftboob

Hi Everyone

Just got in from a nice hour long walk.  My legs are nowhere near as weak as they were last week! Could have actually gone longer but had to get back.  I'm hoping that the chemo is starting to leave my body.  I've been doing something everyday just to keep moving either major yardwork or walking so it must be helping.  Started taking D3, Biotin and of course Tamoxifen but that's now a given.  Lots of water and have replaced my afternoon coffee with a Green Tea.  Oh, I've just had my first Chia breakfast pudding.  I've been reading up on this stuff and am trying to get some more protien in my diet without it being animal based.  It was yummy with berries on top and super easy.  Mix, leave in the frige and eat it in the morning.  Can't get easier than that.  Its touted to be full of protien and fiber and omegas.  I'm curious to see how I feel in a couple of weeks.

• dipad
    dipad Member Posts: 135

Congrats Judy!!!

I went to the dermatologist yesterday and she had mentioned a product called Latisse. It grows eyelashes back, but also eyebrows. (I'm not sure of success rate). I havent lost any lashes yet, but eyebrows are gone. Once done with last tx I'll give this a go.

• ali68

Hi, I was going to use Latisse but can't get it in England. Also it can turn yours eyes a funny colour as a SE. Also has other SE so I'm not sure if I'm going to order it as I know i will get all the SE knowing my luck. I have read some very good reports about it and I know a lot of woman on here have used it.

• JudyP
    JudyP Member Posts: 35

Thanks everyone!

Had my last neulasta shot this morning.  I'm happy about that too!  I know I'll have a bad weekend, but also know it's the last time!

Myleftboob,  glad to hear that your energy is coming back!  Went to the grocery store today and it wiped me out.  How are you finding the herceptin SE's?

Judy

• Myleftboob

Hi JudyP

I haven't found that I've had any SE's from Herceptin along so far anyway.  Nothing to report on Tamoxifen either.  I pray it stays that way too.

It's understandable that your wiped out girl!  You will be much more yourself in a few weeks time.