Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

February 2012 Chemo

Comments

• Hildy910
    Hildy910 Member Posts: 227

Judy! Congrats!!!!!

• lumpynme
    lumpynme Member Posts: 497

Chia breakfast pudding?

recipe or details?

2 days of work-ok yes; i am tired but i think it's cuz i have been such a slug since end of november! but i love the job so far!do NOT love my doggie for waking me at 4:49 AM today!

my hair must be growing on my head- i am noticing a 5 o'clock shadow type darkness on my scalp--tho the hair coming in IS white fuzz! wonder how soon it will all fall out again?

• Myleftboob
    Myleftboob Member Posts: 983

Hey Lumpy

Yes chia pudding! I'm going to play around with it a bit, I think there are some yummy combo's to be made.  I just used what I had on hand.  I bought the seeds at a bulk food place but you can get them everywhere.

1/4 cup chia seeds

1 cup milk (cow, almond, soy if you're not ER+, you could use juice I suppose)

add the seeds to the milk (I used a small mason jar) give them a good stir, then again in an hour or so.  Let it sit in the fridge overnight.

The consistency is kind of like tapioca with a strawberry seed in the middle.

I sprinkled about 1/2 tsp of brown sugar and a handful of blackberry and that was it.  Its meant to be cold or room tempurature because heating it would destroy the Omegas.

You could also use agave or stevia to sweeten. I found it nice and refreshing and satisfying.  Lots of protien and fiber too! I saw a pic on Pinterst and it looked so good with a variety of berries and some walnuts.  Seems to be all over the internet right now.

• JenH13
    JenH13 Member Posts: 155

The biggest SE I have with herceptin is my runny nose. I swear its never ending.  That and I felt like in the beginning I lost my taste for a couple of days. Other than that Herceptin has been pretty easy compared to the T/C and I have been on it since Feb 3rd.  I am right there with you until next year, although I will be glad when it's down to every 3 weeks instead of every week.

• Myleftboob

Jen

Every week? Wow I wonder why such a different protocol, I'm every 3 until the end of the year.

• moonflwr912
    moonflwr912 Member Posts: 5,938

MLB, I am on weekly Herceptin until I finish my big chemo (TCH), then it switches to every three weeks.

• Gayle56
    Gayle56 Member Posts: 111

JudyP  Congrats on being done

Gayle

• christina0001
    christina0001 Member Posts: 449

Tried to post last night, and my laptop decided to randomly shut down. Yell

MLB - I hope researching the reconstruction options is going well. I looked into it (my onc recommended mastectomy or lumpectomy) and I was really surprised at the different options that are available. I thought the only option was saline implants. It's amazing what they can do. You are inspiring to me, being so active! I really want to make some lifestyle changes after chemo and be more active too. What are chia seeds? All I can think of are those Chia pet things and surely that's not it! lol

Ali - have you had any luck getting your scan and surgery set up sooner? I hear such sadness in your "voice" ... I am sorry for all you are going through.

Lumpy - I feel your pain, I am really missing hair too, and mourning my brows and lashes as they become thinner and thinner.

moonflwr - mmm Chinese food, oh that sounds good...good Chinese food is hard to find out here in Missouri. I don't miss much about living in New Jersey but restaurant variety is definitely one of them...

Jen - if your BIL and nephew are anything like mine, they will not care at all if the house is a mess. My BIL is pretty much the only person that I don't mind having over no matter what my house looks like. Guys just don't care about stuff like that. I just hope they aren't expecting you to entertain them or feed them or anything. In fact why not tell BIL that if they are coming over they have to bring pizza or some sort of take out for everyone? Is BIL the sort of person that would do that?

firstcall - your post about your mother brought tears to my eyes. Moms are great, aren't they? I hope everyone here had a happy Mother's Day...

Gritgirl - I hope #3/7 is being nice to you...

Judy - congrats on finishing!!!!! That's awesome!!!!!

Therapy session #2 on my cording went well today. The cording feels thinner. Right after therapy I felt like I had water in my ear and it's been that way all day. No clue what that's about. My mouth tastes gross and feels like I scalded it with something hot...beverages taste weird...I'm eating carrots right now because I'm thirsty. Does anyone know how long they make you wait after your last chemo to have surgery? I'll be having another lumpectomy and I'm curious about the timing.

Funny story. My first appointment for therapy, I was off work and so I just wore a scarf on my head. I went today for the second appointment, and I had to go to work afterwards, so I had a hat and a hairpiece on. I went to the desk, and said "I'm here for my 8am appointment." And the woman said, "Okay, I'm sorry, you'll have to remind me your name." So I told her, and she said, "Oh my, I did not recognize you at all. Is your hair different?" And I laughed out loud and said "Yeah I did not have any hair last time! I have my hair on today!" She gave me this surprised look, it was so funny! lol

• Myleftboob

Christine

Yep, its the same thing as the seeds you put in a chia pet believe it or not!  Apparently its an ancient seed that was consumed by the Incas!  Vegans have been using them for ages but they appear to becoming more mainstream.

• moonflwr912

I was picturing you applying the chia seeds to your head. LOL

• lumpynme

christina- my particular MO and surgeon waited 3-4 weeks between chemo and surgery- not sure if there IS a standard?

MLB-pudding sounds yummy and easy- will have to look for the seeds;coming back to the area not sure where i can get them!

happy hump day folks!off to put on my hair!

• Myleftboob

Lumpy

The time between my surgery and starting chemo was almost 8 weeks.  My MO wanted to start a week earlier but I negotiated waiting another week to wrap up some stuff both at work and home.  I only met with the MO and RO 4 weeks after surgery to go over my TX plan, then I still had to have the SIMA test, bone scan and port placement all scheduled after that.

At least you will have had some time to recover from both your first go round and your surgery.  I wouldn't stress about it.

Mooflwer

If my hair doesn't start growing fast enough I might just start slathering these on my head!

• Myleftboob

Christina

Re reconstruction.  The options are mind blowing aren't they.  At first I though wow, I can get rid of my excess tummy and have a new boob.  Honestly though I really don't know if I'm up for such a big surgery but that's just me.  I'm now leaning towards the tissue expander and implant and lift to the right but I still want to talk to a few PS about it.  I know alot will say its better to use your own tissue vs having to mabey replace the implant in 10 years time so who knows.  I guess I'm looking for the path of least resistance surgery wise, less time for surgery and less scarring.  I don't think I want a scar on each breast and a scar across my stomach too.

• Hildy910
    Hildy910 Member Posts: 227

I am wavering between DIEP and an implant, but what I really want to do is the fat grafting and BRAVA system; it isn't quite mainstream enough  to be widely available, unfortunately, but I am going to ask about it.  Perhaps I could get an implant, wait a few years till it's commonly done, and then swap out.

Christina, I had phyiscal therapy on the cording yesterday as well, and it is a huge help.  For what it is worth, I'll share a stretching exercise the PT gave me. It's good for both back issues, and stretching cording.  She had me lie on my back with my knees bent, feet flat on the table, arms outstretched on either side. Then I slowly dropped both knees to one side, down as far as they would go, and held that for a count of 20. Then you do the other side, and repeat the whole thing 3-5 times.  

• Myleftboob

Hildy

I'm going to check out the fat grafting.  If it's not done alot in the US I just know it's definaltey not in Canada.  For sure something to consider though, getting the implant  then waiting until its available down the road. 

I happy to hear both you and Christina are getting some relief with PT too.  I had some cording soon after my drains were removed and my chirpractor helped with that but I do get the occasionaly tightness in that arm and do stretches.  I'm going to try this one myself.

• moonflwr912

Cording was one detour I didn't take. Can't say I am sad about that. I am glad that you all are getting help though. Hildy,MLB, you have a lot of decisions to make. There is a lot out there. I chose the easy way, or it was supposed to be easy. But I lost one TE to infection so it got complicated. Still don't know when I will be able to have it replaced yet. I am pulling for your choices to work the first time! LOL

• Myleftboob

Hey Moon

I know you didn't have the best success with the TE.  I also know whatever recon option we choose is going to have a failure rate.  For this reason I'm taking my time and want to make sure my health is optimal before ANY further surgery.  I have been speaking to a gal on BCO that doesn't post much but we keep in touch now on FB.  She had immediate DIEP and the transfer failed too which can happen as well.  She was very early stage and said she felt very rushed to make a decision when she was at her most vulnerable and it didn't go well.  For some weird reason I'm almost glad I just had the MX with no recon.  It kind of brought me to a place of acceptance about my missing part.  Not that I like having it gone but I've accepted it.  Now the hair issue I still dont ACCEPT LOL!!  Way harder for me anyway vs a missing boob.

• faithhopenluv
    faithhopenluv Member Posts: 154

Hildy and MLB - there are some great fat grafting threads that can connect you with surgeons that perform them in your area. Mine is scheduled for 6/14, please feel free to ask or pm me now or after surgery. I will be using the brava.

Counts tanked AGAIN, my white blood cells are next to nothing. Have 3 daily shots thru Friday, on antibiotic and dr told me to stay home. I'm glad it happened at the end :(

• ymac16
    ymac16 Member Posts: 85

Hi everyone.  Its been ages since I posted anything - the last couple of treatments have left my brain so scattered its just been hard for me to sit down to actually type anything that makes sense!  I have been following everyone's posts though. 

First, congrats to everyone who has finished their chemo - hurray for you and hope you're on the road to feeling better.  This goes especially to Ali - its been heartbreaking to read what you've gone through so I really hope things get better for you soon.  Moonflower - same for you; I can't remember if you're done with chemo though?

Lumpy - yay for the job and hope new living quarters come through soon. 

Gritgirl, I'm so sorry you have to go through more chemo, but glad that you're responding to it.  And I hope you are still reaching out to your friends for help - you don't need to feel like you have to go through this alone, I'm sure they'll still be there for you no matter what.  And remember, I live in DC too - though we haven't yet met, please don't ever hesistate to reach out to me for anything!!!

Christina, I think it was you who asked about how long before chemo and surgery.  My PS told me she likes to wait 6 weeks after chemo before doing reconstruction.  I know you're not doing reconstruction yet, but I would think this applies to any surgery.  Since chemo affects your ability to heal, she wants to wait until the drugs are pretty much out of my system.  On the reconstruction options - it is pretty amazing.  I'm having DEIP flap done.  I know it is a long surgery and it carries a lot of risk up front but I just can't go the implant route - I absolutely abhor the tissue expanders I have right now!! 

Regarding hair - my hair is actually starting to grow back, even though I'm not yet done with chemo; very strange!  I actually had to shave my legs last week and I have some nice peach fuzz going on on my head.  I hope this is a sign that it will grow back quickly once the chemo is done. 

Finally, tomorrow will be a very good day - ITS MY LAST CHEMO.  I know I'm going to feel REALLY crappy for the next week, but I'm just so happy that this will be the last one. 

For those of you still facing more chemo, radiation, or are still having a hard time with side effects - I send you hugs and good wishes for better times.  For those who are doing well, good for you and I hope it remains that way!  I will try to keep up in the future as long as my brain isn't too rattled!

• ymac16
    ymac16 Member Posts: 85

BTW, I wanted to share this email someone sent me today that really touched me:

Carrots, Eggs, and Coffee

A young woman went to her mother and told her about her life and how things were so hard for her. She did not know how she was going to make it and wanted to give up She was tired of fighting and struggling. It seemed as one problem was solved, a new one arose.

Her mother took her to the kitchen. She filled three pots with water and placed each on a high fire. Soon the pots came to boil. In the first she placed carrots, in the second she placed eggs, and in the last she placed ground coffee beans. She let them sit and boil; without saying a word.

In about twenty minutes she turned off the burners. She fished the carrots out and placed them in a bowl. She pulled the eggs out and placed them in a bowl.

Then she ladled the coffee out and placed it in a bowl. Turning to her daughter, she asked, "Tell me what you see."

"Carrots, eggs, and coffee," she replied.

Her mother brought her closer and asked her to feel the carrots. She did and noted that they were soft. The mother then asked the daughter to take an egg and break it. After pulling off the shell, she observed the hard-boiled egg.

Finally, the mother asked the daughter to sip the coffee. The daughter smiled, as she tasted its rich aroma the daughter then asked, "What does it mean, mother?"

Her mother explained that each of these objects had faced the same adversity: boiling water. Each reacted differently. The carrot went in strong, hard, and unrelenting. However, after being subjected to the boiling water, it softened and became weak. The egg had been fragile. Its thin outer shell had protected its liquid interior, but after sitting through the boiling water, its insides became hardened. The ground coffee beans were unique, however. After they were in the boiling water, they had changed the water.

"Which are you?" she asked her daughter. "When adversity knocks on your door, how do you respond? Are you a carrot, an egg or a coffee bean?

Think of this: Which am I?

Am I the carrot that seems strong, but with pain and adversity do I wilt and become soft and lose my strength?

Am I the egg that starts with a malleable heart, but changes with the heat? Did I have a fluid spirit, but after a death, a breakup, a financial hardship or some other trial, have I become hardened and stiff? Does my shell look the same, but on the inside am I bitter and tough with a stiff spirit and hardened heart?

Or am I like the coffee bean? The bean actually changes the hot water, the very circumstance that brings the pain. When the water gets hot, it releases the fragrance and flavor. If you are like the bean, when things are at their worst, you get better and change the situation around you. When the hour is the darkest and trials are their greatest, do you elevate yourself to another level? How do you handle adversity? Are you a carrot, an egg or a coffee bean?

May you have enough happiness to make you sweet, enough trials to make you strong, enough sorrow to keep you human and enough hope to make you happy.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything that comes along their way. The brightest future will always be based on a forgotten past; you can't go forward in life until you let go of your past failures and heartaches.

When you were born, you were crying and everyone around you was smiling.

Live your life so at the end, you're the one who is smiling and everyone around you is crying.

send this message to those people who mean something to you (I JUST DID); to those who have touched your life in one way or another; to those who make you smile when you really need it; to those who make you see the brighter side of things when you are really down; to those whose friendship you appreciate; to those who are so meaningful in your life.

May we all be COFFEE!!!!!! !!

• lumpynme

ok - i have to ask- WHY do i have to have more chemo???? can someone remind me please????? seriously; i intend to ask my mO this question friday morning before anything further is administered--i know i'll have to have RADS and i know i'll probly have tamoxifen-ok np...but i truly do not understand why i have to have the taxotere and cytoxan....

another good day at work.

• christina0001
    christina0001 Member Posts: 449

Ymac - so happy for you that tomorrow is your last chemo!!! I hope you feel up to celebrating in some small way. Thanks for posting the carrot, egg and coffee story, that one is a keeper.

Lumpy - demand answers! Because chemo sucks too bad without having a very good motivation to do it.

Thanks for all the feedback on timing for surgery after chemo ends. I think Monday I am going to ask my onc's office to at least get me set up for my consultation meeting with the surgeon for a couple of weeks after my last chemo. That's not that far away and I don't know how far out he is booked.

• Myleftboob

Lumpy

Good question I think.  I know you had one node that was positive but you would think that the TX that you did already plus the fact you are getting RADS.  In looking at your signature line its a bit confusing to me.  did you have 4/16 nodes positive or 1/9? 

Can you get a second opinion? 

• Myleftboob

Ymac

Yay for your last TX tomorrow!  You have a rough run too but I'm glad you're at the end of this road

I think we're all coffee beans even though at times I felt like a carrot and an egg!

• lumpynme

MLB; i see the confusion--the 4/16 was the date of my LX--i had 1/9 nodes positive...

i intend to question-- !!!!

• JenH13

ymac- YAY!  I'll be sitting in the chair with you tomorrow for my last T/C!  I am happy but I will be more happy after I get through this weekend.

Christina- I met with my surgeon about a month before my surgery.  It might have been a bit early but I had to get things lined up for work and my kids.  I go in for all my prep-op 1-2 weeks before the surgery.  My daughter likes to wait at least 4 weeks preferable 6 weeks to get all the counts up.  So far except for my RBC my counts have been pretty good, so I begged to have it 4 weeks because we have a big family vacation planned the 2nd week in July that I want to go on.  So my surgery is scheduled for June 18th.

I am waiting on the recon after thinking about it a lot too.  Because I have to have rads afterwards and I was just really worried and uncomfortable with the TE's, I am going with the DIEP.  While the DIEP is a harder surgery that scares me, it is also less time. no weekly fills, no replacements later(I am 38 and plan to live another 50 years so defintely will need them :) )  BUT it is a very personal decision and only you can make the choice that feels right to you.

Wishing everyone many sunbeams tomorrow!

• Myleftboob

Lumpy

Ah I get it now. It seems excessive.  I mean you did some pretty hard chemo already.  You might want to ask the mods to start a separate thread to poll others with your DX. It wouldl be interesting to find out others take on it.

• faithhopenluv
    faithhopenluv Member Posts: 154

Lumpy - I'm sorry :( your dx is similar to mine and I had a total of 8 rounds. The taxotere is similar to taxol, i believe. Not sure if that makes you feel better or worse. But you already had cytoxan with the AC correct?

• JenH13

Sitting in the chair now getting ready to get my last T/C. Have an ultra sound later today to rule out a potential blood clot near the catheter from the port. But the dr didn't seem to worried...

But yay for #6 being done today! Wish I had one of those drinks with the umbrellas in it!

• Myleftboob

Alright Jen!!!!