Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

CONSTIPATION--problem with so many of our drugs

Options

Comments

• Linda54
    Linda54 Member Posts: 509
    Options

There was just a report on the Kashi cereal that said that it was not the "organic food" that they claim...I have boxes in my pantry so thinking of throwing them out.  I am going to check google and get more info on this report before I do that.

• hipline
    hipline Member Posts: 72
    Options

Uncle Sam cereal is very good and packed with fiber. The only negative is the flax seeds are whole and get caught in my teeth! I mail order a great supplement from Europe called Fruit and Fibre made by Oris. It is a chewable all natural and works like a dream for me. Wish I could buy in the states

• rohanna
    rohanna Member Posts: 154
    Options

Just wanted to share with you something that has saved my sanity. I have diverticulitis and have been sick since December. My onc said my BC treatment had probably made my condition worse. I was on several antibiotics which worked for a few days and then the fever would come back. I got a sinus infection in April and was given Clarithromycin (sp?). Of course, it caused another case of thrush on my tongue. ARRGH! I went to GNC to get some strong probiotics and a lady came up to me and asked me if I was taking the probiotics for stomach problems so of course we got into a discussion of our tummy troubles. I told her I was looking at either an intestinal blowout or surgery. She suggested I try taking 8 ounces of Aloe Vera juice with fruit juice daily. She said she'd been drinking it for years and it had cured her GERD. (Oh by the way, she was buying Bert's Bees lotion.) I figured what the heck and started drinking it. And it WORKED! No more stomach pain, nausea or diarrhea! It's been a month now and so far so good. I need to hang out in GNC more often. I don't know if this will help anyone else, but I used Aloe gel on my radiation burn with awesome results and now I'm getting the same by using Aloe on the inside.

• Linda54
    Options

I think I have tried everything to help me "go" on a regular basis and nothing seems to work except a supplement for digestive health.  It is Cascara Sagrada 450 mg. I do not take it everyday...maybe 2-3 times a week.  Every time I take one by the evening I go and then I go the next morning. I told my husband that a good BM is better than sex...LOL

do you research on this supplement and also you might want to ask your doctor about it if you are on medication....

• mandalynn
    mandalynn Member Posts: 22
    Options

Ok everybody get ready for this tip. If it's mentioned earlier, then take this as another endorsement.

Everyone needs to try CHIA SEEDS! It works! I have had an anal fissure since chemo --ouch. Could not get regular, but voila! Success.

Lot's of positives for chia seeds:

Has a favorable soluble/insoluble fiber ratio. It is one of the few plant based sources of omega 3s (also has good omega 3/6 ratio). It's shelf stable, doesn't go rancid or need to be ground. When soaked in water, it absorbs 9 times it's weight in water and forms a gel like substance that actually helps you retain hydration longer. And, reportedly helps block or slow the absorption of carbohydrates.

Whew, it's a superfood. You can even cook with the gel, where it can replace fats, sugars in recipes.

It is a little awkward to take. I do one tablespoon a day and holy sh*t -- literally! :). Only you ladies can truly understand the relief I'm talking about.

Seriously, get at whole foods, google it and go for it! (put in smoothies, sprinkle on cottage cheese, shove it in your mouth, just DO IT,,,,,,)

Amanda

• Linda54
    Options

I have been taking 1 tablespoon of Chia Seeds in my green tea for 2 months now...it is a superfood but did nothing for my going problem...like I said in the above post, only Cascara Sagrada helped me.  I will continue with the chia seeds...they are super!!

• Booboo2
    Booboo2 Member Posts: 5
    Options

Yesterday I had the colonoscopy that I told you I was having earlier in this thread, and the doctor says he can't find a thing wrong with me, and I don't have to go back for 10 years.  It's really good news, especially as the problem that bothered me originally after my breast cancer surgery was already getting better.  Being told there's nothing wrong with you when you feel awful can be worse than being told you're sick, because when you know what's wrong, something will be done about it.  The doctor suggested that I have a consultation with my regular family doctor.

I hope constipation isn't a side effect of any of the sedatives that I got.  I was given Fentanyl and Versed.  If constipation is a side effect of either of these, could someone let me know so I can start taking a stool softener?

• gardengumby
    gardengumby Member Posts: 4,860
    Options

I believe that all sedatives (and pain killers) have a side-effect of diminishing the work of your intestines - which in turn leads to constipation.  I don't know anything factual about either of those two in particular, though.

• sas-schatzi
    sas-schatzi Member Posts: 15,879
    Options

Gardengrumby--the opiates interfere with the MU receptors in the intestines. There has been a drug approved that prevents this , but it is under very strict guidelines by the FDA--it's name is Entereg. Not available outside of hospitals. When it was in development-trials, I actually bought stock . But lost money and sold it. Subsequently was approved.

Sedatives can cause constipation , but don't know the route b/c I haven't studied it. As a young nursing student learning drugs, one of the things that the older nursing students passed on was when quizzed on your drugs by the instructors always start with " nausea/ vomiting, diarrhea, constipation". That got you four to start with.

• Booboo2
    Booboo2 Member Posts: 5
    Options

It's three days now since the colonoscopy and it's still a bit too soon, I think, to know if I've got a problem.  Yesterday I didn't feel any bowel activity at all, but today I"m feeling a bit bloated and passing some gas.  Something should come out within a day or two, I should think.  I'll know i have problems if I get a really strong urge (hasn't happened yet) and it's stuck in there.

Doctors shouldn't use drugs that can cause constipation when they're doing a test like that. After going through that prep, I've had enough trouble with that part of my body and want things to get back to normal.  I've been drinking lots of water.  That should help.

• sas-schatzi
    Options

Booboo2---You did a total colon clean-out with the prep. Depending what you ate since, and the working of you gastrointestinal tract, 3 days after a colonoscopy, it isn't considered that abnormal to not pass anything. Check in with your GI doc.  If you are taking drugs that delay gastric motility meaning slows every thing down for example, pain medicine and or other drugs, It's not the drugs they used for the scope. It may be what you are using on a daily basis and what you are eating or not eating.

• sas-schatzi
    Options

Bump- or bum in this case- to poop or not to poop that is the question?

• hipline
    hipline Member Posts: 72
    Options

I am a recent adapter to a magnesium supplement called Natural Calm. Helps with the bowels and I also notice it helps with some toe cramping I was experiencing.

• apple
    apple Member Posts: 1,466
    Options

i drink a senna diet tea.. works goods for me because i can have a little cup or just a couple sips.

celery, an apple, dried cherries.. (oh yeah,, they're the best with dried apricots and apples)

• sas-schatzi
    Options

Bump

• sas-schatzi
    Options

The following link was sent by SpecialK --defiinitely worth a read.

Here is a prune and bone health link:

http://www.fyiliving.com/health-news/why-your-bones-love-prunes/

• sas-schatzi
    Options

Bump for more comfortale butts.

• sas-schatzi
    Options

Bump for plugged up butts

• stage1
    stage1 Member Posts: 285
    Options

I have been taking gummies, called Fiber Well by Vitafusion. Got them at Costco. They are working, finally feeling normal. They are 5 grams of fiber per serving. Does anyone know of any negative issues with taking supplements in this form? I also take the calcium and multi in this gummie form. Makes it easier than swallowing all those pills.

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,874
    Options

I think the only thing with gummies would be to brush your teeth afterwards. I think the stickiness might contribute to cavities.

• HLB
    HLB Member Posts: 740
    Options

Another vote here for the Uncle sam cereal.

• HLB
    HLB Member Posts: 740
    Options

Brownies work for me every time whether I have a problem or not!

• sas-schatzi
    Options

Hlb--so what's in the brownies?

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,874
    Options

Corn on the cob is helpful. Probably due to the fiber.

• sas-schatzi
    Options

Bump for a better go......

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,791
    Options

Bump for honeybair

• Stormynyte
    Stormynyte Member Posts: 179
    Options

Avocado! As long as I eat one or two a week, I'm good.

• chemicalworld
    chemicalworld Member Posts: 48
    Options

I had a horrible time with this while on my FEC regime, it was probably my worst SE, and no matter what I did, I didnt go for about 4-5 days after each treatment.  I am a vegetarian and always ate lots of veg's and fibre, and I took stool softener during treatment, but it was like someone flipped a switch and everything shut down.  IMO it didn't matter so much what I was eating because the muscle contractions to "move" things along weren't there.  By week's end I typically looked like I was several months pregnant. 

I did find licorice tea somewhat helpful, and as for the fallout from the constipation I have two words for you:

WITCH HAZEL

Following a tip I'd found somewhere, I purchased a full bottle of witch hazel and a plastic container of unscented baby wipes.  Open the container and pour a large quantity of the witch hazel in there, and keep those on hand for cleaning.  I also used gauze or what not soaked in witch hazel against my skin down there when things got really bad.  It did help.

• chelev
    chelev Member Posts: 417
    Options

I have always had irritable bowel syndrome with constipation, but have noticed that for the 3 1/2 years I've been on tamoxifen, it has gotten worse, to the point that I "go" only one good "go" maybe once a week, and the rest of the time, when I do "go", it's pellets.  I take daily fiber, magnesium and prune or apple juice.  I eat lots of natural fiber in fruits and veggies.  Drink lots of water.  The only thing that helps is either casgarda sagrada (spelling?) or stool softener.  It's been getting worse, so 2 days ago I used magnesium citrate, and spent that evening and the following morning with explosive diarreah.  I am going to my GP for a routine exam next week and am going to ask him what to do, because I forsee being on tamox for a while still.  It's so frustrating!!! 

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,791
    Options

Bump