Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

CONSTIPATION--problem with so many of our drugs

Options

Comments

• sas-schatzi
    sas-schatzi Member Posts: 15,879
    Options

Bouncing betties---------yes I get the things we talk about-----NEVER------But a reality of the drugs that we take during cancer and other things cause constipation or obstipation. Either causes severe effects to the colon.  The effects to the colon has many effects. Loss of certain absorption of nutrients, water. If you review the first page I thought I was going to make a Market Something b/c I knew what Entereg would do.

The colon does not like drugs. Try probiotics------powder TBL in yogurt or cottage cheese. Or By mouth if you have thrush.=============cancer drugs interfere with all normal things in our bodies---------we just have to find out how to over counter the side effects. The word I just used does not mean over the counter drugs, It means as I said --we have to not let the drugs take over  counter what they cause as problems to our systems.

• AussieSheila
    AussieSheila Member Posts: 439
    Options

I doubt anyone has the particular problem that I currently have.

I am suffering from haemhorroids which is odd considering I have a stoma bag.  This means that to all intents and purposes, my rear end no longer works.  I have been having strong urges to 'go' which I don't understand.  The first time this happened on the New Years long weekend, I kept running to the toilet but, after nothing happened on the umpteenth time, I didn't run and then proceeded to embarrass myself by messing my pants.  It wasn't faeces as such but a jelly like substance which the professionals said was 'normal' for some people.  Eventually, it went away and I haven't had it again until this week.  I will probably have to ring my stoma nurse tomorrow if the usual cream and pushing them back inside doesn't work.

Any advice anyone, all options would be gratefully received,

Sheila.

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,090
    Options

AussieSheila:  Until you get some answers from your nurse, you might use Light Day Panty Liners (or whatever generic available there).  I'm 68 and well past menopause, but I still keep them around the house for those "special occasions" when I find myself at the opposite pole from this thread.  And I'm not talking only about pre-colonoscopy "purges".

• sas-schatzi
    Options

Aussie Sheila , you've probably had a response from your Ostomy nurse. Wouldn't hurt to be seen by your GI doc. It's a change. Could be an expected change that only those folks that are intimately involed with the anus and rectum know about. Could be simple, could be complex. When answers can't be easliy found or given---THAT'S THE TIME TO CALL THE DIRECT PROFESSIONAL FOR THAT BODY PART or disease.

Please, if you feel comfortable sharing the answer, it would be appreciated. Sheila(USA)

• AussieSheila
    AussieSheila Member Posts: 439
    Options

Sheila, I had to go for two scans on Thursday (body and bone) to clear me of progression or the surgeon will not do a reversal in case I have to have chemo.  By the time I got home about 5 hrs later, I had a very uncomfortable rear end, so I applied some o.t.c. medication, hoping it would work while I lay down for a while.  When I woke up it was after 4 pm and my nurse had packed up for the day and is off til Monday.  I bought some cream that contains anaesthetic today and as the pushing urge seems to be waning, I am keeping my fingers crossed that the contractions down there will 'pass.'  If not, I will go to my local hospital like the last time.  Thanks for your concern Sheila, I appreciate having the benefit of your many years of experience. 

Sheila.

How often so you get to start and end a post with the same name?

• rohanna
    rohanna Member Posts: 154
    Options

I have the opposite problem but it's because of diverticulitis. This attack has been coming and going for 3 months and I'm on my 2nd round of antibiotics. Please, someone HELP!

• sas-schatzi
    Options

Ro, do you drink any alcohol or smoke. If so stop all for about a month. After a few days to one week b/c you want to see what the response is.. At the end of first test period, add probiotic powder Tbl spoon mixed in with yogurt or gottage cheese, or cereal. 2-3 tx's  a day. after 2-3 days to evaluate tollerance i.e no s.e.'s. Get the superdophilus at a health food store.  Next Add stewed prunes or appricots as previously described by other in previous posts. Then start to add fiber1-2 gms per day( this one clear with your doc). Work up to 25-30 gms of fiber a day. Preferably, by food, but if you must use a product ask your doc--there are many OTC products--Metamucil, citracell.        For any constipation keep miralax and glycerin sypositories  on hand. The key to the above is these are basically all natural products--excluding Miralax.and suppositories.

You could start faster if you want>>quit alcohol/smoking>start probiotics same day>> prunes same day>>and fiber (Fiber needs to be clear with doc this is a must during active diverticulitis). But if you start everything at once, you won't know which one is changing things. You could say I don't care, I want relief now. I get that. Had diverticulitis twice, lost part of the Colon. Not just quoting out of a book here.  My second bout with d-itisis was b/c of celebrex.

What drugs are you on?----------Good luck and let us all know what worksCool If you have time to read from the beginning you make find something you over read before. Worthe a try.

• sas-schatzi
    Options

Aussis Sheila, I laugh every time we post together and then there is Seyla sheila.  That's why I some time ad USA sheila LOL

• ingoodcompany
    ingoodcompany Member Posts: 12
    Options

So glad to find this thread!! Pre BMX I was a smoker and NEVER had a problem with regularity. Now almost one year after BMX and three reconstructive surgeries as well as quitting smoking, I only go once a week!!! I also attribute my weight gain to lack of movement.

Adding lots of fiber and trying to drink more water............

• sas-schatzi
    Options

I should add that fiber is not an innocuous, harmless thing. In a colon that is not used to working the fiber through b/c a colon used to a low fiber diet or also known as low residue , the muscle layer of the colon is weak. If too much fiber is introduced too fast, it can actually cause an OBSTRUCTION. If tic's are present, it may cause a blowout. So, just b/c you hear eat lots of fiber. Doesn't make it totally true. 1-2 gms per week to whip  that colon into shape. Then keep it up the rest of your life. Please read water section 1st page. Too much fiber without enough water(liquid)can make cement. TRY and poop that out. Effectively that's how adobe mud houses are made

."The Joys of POOP". WE all should write a book.

It's time for some Poop jokes. Of course they can't be clean.

• sas-schatzi
    Options

Hey Ingoo. I just added a thing on fiber. Then posted and there was your post . This was meant for you babe.LOL.       above

SAS

• BouncingBetties
    BouncingBetties Member Posts: 50
    Options

ingoodcompany is right. Drinking more water defiintely helps. I know that physical activity helps but that's not always easy for us. I've had a few days of issues, but I do know that drinking DanActive has helped my stomach. So many new and fun experiences with breast cancer Tongue out 

• sas-schatzi
    Options

Please, oh, please, Read from the beginning . there is so much good info written by everyone. The nurses in the group or that fly by try do add info about safe things. Pay attention to the safe recommendations. They will help keep you from getting a Blowout. I will periodically, post this in case someone drops in that bypasses the beginning

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,875
    Options

Does taking docusate sodium (stool softener) on a regular basis hurt anything? That plus about a gallon of water finally broke up my log jam. I think it's the calcium. Perhaps that's why I've never been able to take it regularly.

• sas-schatzi
    Options

Wren I think the taking dulcolax question should be answered by your GI doc or pharmasist. Over time your body will become less responsive, which then you need to find a new routine.

Calcium is a sure bet on constipation. Trying some of the things recommended from the beginning would be worth a try. How much Ca++ a day. Less likely to get constipated if you take it through your food. Using Ca++ to prevent osteopenia/osteoporosis.?Induce by AI's?

• rohanna
    Options

Thanks for the info, Sas. I can always count on you! I don't drink or smoke and the only med. I take is the generic Arimidex. I take probiotics every day and I will take your advice on slowly adding fiber. I'm drinking so much water, I feel like a camel! I just bought the Splenda with 1 gram of fiber per serving. I'll get some apricots tomorrow. Thanks again, I'll let you know how things progress. I'm hoping this too shall pass (that was my poop joke!).

• sas-schatzi
    Options

Ro don't take your probiotic within two hours of anti bx. b/c it will just kill it.  Take probiotics at least 3-4 times a day while on antibx. You're likely on Keflex which is cephlahexin. Taken usualy 4 tx's aday with D-tic. So. it's a real trick to keep evrything 2 hours apart.

It's time to have the serious sitdown with your GI doc about getting that stretch of colon out. Rationale. It's reared it's ugly head twice. Now with this bout the timing has been very long or protracted. Being on prolonged antibx's can mess with your immune system and have long term consequences. Each doc has.there approach. He presented it to me almost as I presented it to you. Except the finale rationale was you could avoid a rupture. Once tic's rupture, there is no way to predict until it's all over ,with how the course of events is going to go. My choice at the time was to get the offending portion out. What I would change is, I would have done it sooner. I delayed things for several weeks b/c of a family reunion.

Left big thought out after re-reading your post. If your tics are causing you pain, during those periods you should be on clear liquids until the pain goes away. Pain worsen's--get yourself to the ER.

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,875
    Options

Sas - Taking calcium because I have osteopenia and have just started aromatase. I have been taking it 2 x day because I read you can only absorb 500 at a time. I got the citrate because it's a little easier on the tummy. My food intake is limited by lactose intolerance - not severe, but can't just drink milk. I'm going to try the dried plums. I love dried apricots, but have never noticed a change when I eat them. I used to keep dried apricots and almonds on hand for a good snack.

• rohanna
    Options

Sas, did you have to have a colostomy after resection and if so, for how long?

• sas-schatzi
    Options

Ro ---No I didn't have a colostomy. There was a minimal possibility that I would, but that's why I choose the ELECTIVE COLON  RESECTION. I didn't want to risk a rupture. My Gi doc recommends after two bouts , an elective be considered b/c of rupture risk. So, it's a hard decision. Like I said have a sit down with your GI doc.----GOOD LUCK

Wren---consider rice milk , lactose free, estrogen free, loaded with calcium. There is also , almond milk and some others.  Anyone interested on the estrogen in our cow's milk google key words. Risks of cow's milk and estrogen.

• ptdreamers
    ptdreamers Member Posts: 639
    Options
    I drink almond milk, but rice is good also.Smile
  • sas-schatzi
    Options

Ptdreamer, I chose rice milk simply b/c I was allergic to the others. I think the key is once people read about the dangers of USA milk they will switch to an alternative. Plus they load them with Calcium, which we all need b/c of the AI;s and tamox causing osteo. Oral pill calcium is sooooooooo constipatingCool

• NCbeachgal
    NCbeachgal Member Posts: 67
    Options

If anyone is experiencing anal fissures due to the constipation, try manuka honey. My acupuncturist told me about it and it, along with nifedipine, seems to be working. It has antibiotic properties that seem to help a number of skin and digestive disorders. It's expensive, but if it works-it's worth every penny!

I believe if I can keep my stool soft, very soft, these fissures will heal with the help of these products. They have so far worked to minimize the pain throughout the day. BMs are still somewhat painful but that's to be expected until these fissures completely heal.

• sas-schatzi
    Options

NCB---------had a very long involved piece that went to the computer netherworld. Couldn't rewrite. Except when fissures are involved be very careful not to stick up anything up the anus unless specifically instructed by the GI doc. Could be dangerous. There is one drug I can think that they might recommend, but again please , don't do it without express orders. Good luck.

• sas-schatzi
    Options

Bump, I will bump this weekly or so, their are so many good suggestions from folks I don't want it to get lost.

• sas-schatzi
    Options

Bump----read thead from beginning, has much info from many giving people sheila

• jenlee
    jenlee Member Posts: 204
    Options

Never had issues with this until chemo and all of these drugs.  So most days I take two gummy "Fiber Well" chews.  Not something recommended by my doctor, just something I saw at the pharmacy.  Trust me, it works.  I've figured out all of the best restrooms on the route from my daughter's school back to our house in the morning.

I used to eat Kashi-Go-Lean cereal every day, but it has soy and isn't organic, so I stopped eating it.  My hair stylist called it Kashi-Go-Poop! In any event, there must be some really good organic cereals with fiber, would love some recommendations.

• sas-schatzi
    Options

JENILEE HAVE TO WRITE IN CAPS RIGHT NOW, EYE TROUBLE.

TRY A HEALTH FOOD STORE FIRST, THEN DO COMPARISON SHOPPING AT LOCAL STORE.. i'M ALWAYS WARY OF STANDARD STORES TRUTH TELLING ABOUT ORGANIC. THERE ARE SO MANY WAYS THE GOVERNMENT HAS ALLOWED GETTING AROUND WHAT IS TRUTH IN THE PACKAGE.

• weety
    weety Member Posts: 371
    Options

check on amazon.com.  They have EVERYTHING!

• sas-schatzi
    Options

BUMP