Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

CONSTIPATION--problem with so many of our drugs

Options

Comments

• NCbeachgal
    NCbeachgal Member Posts: 67
    Options

What about the hemorrhoids that come with the bouts of constipation? I've had painful internal and external hemorrhoids for over a month now. I've been able to get on top of the constipation with a high fiber diet (for now, treatment 4 is today so fully expect another bout of constipation in a couple of days) but NOTHING seems to help the hemorrhoids! I've tried Prep H sup and ointment, Annu-cort RX, Tucks pads, sits bath, and acupuncture. What else is out there that might shrink and heal these devils? I will go see my GI doc but I don't want to do anything that would delay chemo treatments. I want to get this over with!

• sas-schatzi
    sas-schatzi Member Posts: 15,879
    Options

NC beach gal----------liquid----measure what you are drinking--------in a previous post , I --even the advocator of 8-12 oz----total 64 0z to 96 oz a day was not doing what I preached once, I started to measure based on what I recommended.  Do the same. Start the day with 2-4 glasses of water as described before. Constipation occurs b/c of many things ---------The biggest cause is lack of liquids. we think we drink enough. Nada--------

Have on hand will going through chemo several fleets enemas amd otc glucerin suppositories,

BUT YOUR BEST FRIEND will be drinkining enough water.

• sas-schatzi
    Options

NC beach gal--------I should have added you need to see a GI doc for evaluation. Please read all the reasons to see a doc that I have previously written. Need to add a doc's eval will also consider that your rhoids are just what you think they are. They will also make sure they are not tumors. Please make sure you follow up on this. You do not want surprises , you already have been through enough.

• NCbeachgal
    Options

Thanks sas- I have an appointment with my GI doc Thursday. I'm not expecting a huge revelation or immediate cure but perhaps peace of mind that these are only hemorrhoids and they WILL eventually go away. I can't believe I've followed every known treatment with only minimal relief and zero healing of the damaged tissue. I thought once the constipation was under control, the healing could begin. Not so far! Maybe my GI doc will at least give me hope.

• gardengumby
    gardengumby Member Posts: 4,860
    Options

Also, eat a lot of fruit.  Water is VERY important - most important, IMO, though.

• Momine
    Momine Member Posts: 2,845
    Options

I made special chemo cookies to combat this problem. I took dried fruit (anything will do, raisins, figs, dates ...) and put them in the food processor, made them into a paste with olive oil, orange juice, orange zest, a couple of eggs, then some nuts and whole wheat flour and some extra bran for good measure. I would make the dough stiff enough to make into a log, then slice and bake.

• stage1
    stage1 Member Posts: 285
    Options
    Thanks Momine, I will try your recipeLaughing
  • gardengumby
    Options

momine - those sound great.  I'm going to try them.  :)

• collie-flower
    collie-flower Member Posts: 148
    Options
    Constipation has been a problem for me since my early 20's and with bc treatment and drugs, it's become the biggest nightmare for me!  I've tried everything from a-to-z and I've never had anything work for more than 1 day, except for now!  I bought the organic chia seeds at Costco last week and it's been absolutely, life-changing amazing!!!  I add a scoop-full with my protein breakfast shake in the morning and It's changed everything (excuse me if I'm being too candid here), but the size, shape and frequency makes me feel that I'm regular again for the first time in years....and the scales have been dropping the pounds too!  I definitely have a "new best friend"!  Smile
  • Linda54
    Linda54 Member Posts: 509
    Options
    collie-flower...  love the name!!.....I am like you, maybe one day it will be normal then the very next day it will be hard again.  I wonder what could be causing that change so quickly????  I have been thinking of getting some chia seeds for health purposes so now I will definately get some to try for my "problem".....We do not have a Costco close by...I wonder if Sams carries them?.....thanks for the info....I pray chia works as well for me.
  • NCbeachgal
    Options

Balneol was suggested to me from a very kind person. If any one is experiencing pain with BMs, give it a try. So far it has produced temporary relief from pain. I just got it yesterday, so I can't speak to any healing properties. I found it at Walgreens. It's kind of expensive ($16.99 for 3 oz bottle) but if it works, who cares.? I found a $2.00 coupon on the manufacturers website, so that helped.

The product is easy to deal with, not messy or greasy and has a nice smell. I hope this is a solution!

• Mom2JJ
    Mom2JJ Member Posts: 38
    Options

NCbeachgal, my DH found Baleneol for me after my first chemo (T/C). It has been a lifesaver, combined with gentle cleansing wipes, Miralax and colace. Good luck.

• stage1
    stage1 Member Posts: 285
    Options

miralax in tea before bedtime, I drink talus tea, no caffiene at that time.  Works in the morning, but I have concerns about long term use. 

Good to know that Costco is carrying chia seeds, I have been buying the powder at Whole Foods, kinda expensive, but I like the powder in steel cut oats, and yes, that helped my constipation, too.

• gardengumby
    Options

I just found (the hard way - no pun intended) that cinnamon REALLY can cause constipation - BADLY.  So, if anyone is addicted to cinnamon, you may want to remove it from your diet...  :(

• Layla2525
    Layla2525 Member Posts: 465
    Options

w that receipe sounds yummy gonna get some of that...between my fiance's meds as a heart patient and my bc stuff we got the colace and the tucks and the cottonelle and the fiber one bars and eat enuff prunes and granola to kill a large rat. Now if I could just figure out how the PS is gonna do my fills next week when I already fill like my little alien muffin tops aka tissue expanders are gonna pop out like the monster in the movie with Capt Ridley. Is there anything we can take to relax the muscle or help the skin stretch? Dont forget the old standby an oldie but a goodie when the person comes back from the restroom and you're out in public announce "Hey did everything come out ok?" LOL....

• Linda54
    Options
    collie-flower,   I bought some organic chia seeds yesterday and last night mixed 2T with a glass of water and let it sit for about 10mins....it got thick but was easy to drink.  Mine did not come with a scoop. How much does your scoop hold?....is 2Tbs enough?.....I did have a BM this morning but don't know if it was because of the chia....you think it was too soon to hope that it was?...this morning I added some to my oatmeal.  Praying it works for me!!
  • minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,090
    Options

On the subject of Chia - found this today.

Chia seeds. They contain 500% more calcium than milk and have the same amount of omega-3 fatty acids as salmon. They also help stabilize blood sugar levels, as opposed to causing the spikes and falls that can occur when you eat sugars and refined carbohydrates. You can sprinkle them into recipes or into yogurt, or try one of my favorite recipes:

Chia Muffins

• 1 tablespoon chia seeds, ground (use a coffee or spice grinder)
    • 11/2 cups whole wheat or whole grain flour
    • 2 teaspoons cinnamon
    • 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
    • 2 teaspoons baking soda
    • 1/2 teaspoon salt or salt and pepper to taste
    • 16-ounce can organic pumpkin (make sure there is only pumpkin listed in the ingredients list)
    • 2 egg whites
    • 1/4 cup high-quality canola oil
    • 1/2 cup agave nectar
    • 1 tablespoon vanilla
    • 1/2 cup of chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 350°F. Mix dry ingredients together in a bowl. In a separate bowl, mix all wet ingredients. Fold the wet ingredients and nuts into the dry ingredients, stirring only until dry ingredients are moistened (don’t overmix). Spoon into paper-lined or greased (with canola oil) muffin tins. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of a muffin comes out clean. Store completely cooled muffins in resealable plastic bags in the freezer. Makes about a dozen.

• ptdreamers
    ptdreamers Member Posts: 639
    Options

Minus two, Recipe sounds good.

• sas-schatzi
    Options

Layla. With your fills . If it's too tight --wait a week or even two. There is no rule that says you have to have them every week. Don't let the doc hurry you.

Collie flower- great news on chia seeds Thanks.

Linda ----the chia seeds could have that quick of an affect. Remember it all going forward. think of it as the caboose pushing the engine forward.

• chrissyb
    chrissyb Member Posts: 11,438
    Options

Another thing to avoid if you are constipated or are wondering why all of a sudden is too many eggs as they will bind you up.

There really are some vey good healthy ideas here to keep things moving and I'm going to try some, in particular the cookies.  They sound absolutely delicious!

• Linda54
    Options

MinusTwo.... thanks for the recipe

What I have read about Chia seeds is that it is a SUPERFOOD!!!!...Don't know why everyone is not consuming Chia and why it took me so long to jump in there....

• weety
    weety Member Posts: 371
    Options

Okay, dumb question--Are these chia seeds the same as the "Chia, chia chia pets" that you grow?

• Linda54
    Options

weety.... yes, the same Chia seeds. I just watched a you tube video on how to make your own chia pet.  Think I will make one since I have the seeds. You can use the trimmings from the chia pet in salads.....

update:....I made a Chia pet today.  I cannot wait for it to grow hair.  I did not have eyes to hot glue on it so I just used blue buttons for the eyes and red for the mouth. 

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,090
    Options

Weety - Gee I never thought of that.  Gave me a good laugh.  I'm sure glad Linda was able to clarify.

• KittyGirl2011
    KittyGirl2011 Member Posts: 324
    Options

I used to have a lot of (medical) constipation even before BC.  I did get a great tip on another thread and it works wonders for me now.  I have tea each night prior to bed and I now put one prune in the tea to soak and soften.  I does not affect the taste of the tea but does get nice and soft and easy to eat.  I let it go down with the last of the tea and by mid-morning the next day, voila!  No constipation since.  Kitty

• NCbeachgal
    Options

Well, today I went to my GI doc to discuss my constipation (which has resolved somewhat with a high fiber diet) and what I thought were hemorrhoids. It seems the constipation has led to anal fissure. The treatment is a compounded ointment called Nifedipine. If you google the drug, it's for heart issues. If you google anal fissure, the drug is a common treatment when compounded into an ointment. One dose, so far, so good. So glad I went to visit my GI. My MO just took my word for it that I had hemorrhoids and said fiber, Miralax, colace, tucks, anu-cort, sitz bath, etc. My GI took a look and prescribed what he thought would relieve the pain and promote healing. God, I hope it works!

I hate anal fissures and cancer....

• collie-flower
    collie-flower Member Posts: 148
    Options

Hi Ladies,

Too funny.....every time I take out my chia seeds...that darn song keeps playing in my head too....."chia chia chia chia pet"....it's driving me crazy!  But it's been 2 whole weeks and all I can say it's been a great success!  Linda....I think the scoop I have is about 1 tablespoon, how are you doing with the chia seeds?  I hope you're moving right along girl!......Wink

• sas-schatzi
    Options

NC Beach gal-------nifedipine----is the first drug in the classification of slow channel calcium blockers. When this drug came out it was a major breakthrough, Then some of the subsequent drugs were pulled off the market. Never knew it was offered as an ointment. It has abtihypertensive  job to tdo primarily------ never knew  it had anything to do with your use of it. AMAZING.

• BouncingBetties
    BouncingBetties Member Posts: 50
    Options

I never understood those commercials until I started chemo and taking all of my meds, and going through instant menopause at 40. I finally bought a bottle of stool softner but then never ended up using it. I found that eating a couple of sun dried tomatoes dry out of the package, or some dates and figs (as well as a a prune once in a while) really helped. The sun dried tomatoes worked quickly and gently, but be sure to drink a big glass of fluid, any kind. Spicy foods also really did the job, although sometimes a bit too well.

Yet another surprise from our nemisis, cancer. I never thought I'd discuss constipation with strangers or anyone for that matter.

• smva
    smva Member Posts: 24
    Options

I have suffered from constipation for many years .. have serious diverticulosis .. my GI dr. put me on Miralax, once a day.  The first few days after chemo constipation is a little worse.  The Miralax plus eating more fiber is a big help.  Miralax is expensive, but you can get a prescription for Polyethylene  Glycol 3350 (generic Miralax) at less cost if you have a prescription plan.  My plan is $10.00 for a 3 month supply.  Worth a try!!