Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

CONSTIPATION--problem with so many of our drugs

Options

Comments

• stage1
    stage1 Member Posts: 285
    Options

In the morning, I have been making steel cut oats with chia powder added at the end of cooking.  It seems to have helped me.  I will have to try that Nutri Slim tea, thanks for sharing.  Senna sounds too harsh for me, I am afraid of the cramps you guys mentionedUndecided

• hidingfromit
    hidingfromit Member Posts: 6
    Options

3 stool softeners (Colace) & 2 Sennakot each night. In the morning drink a dosage of Miralax.  Relief at last.  I was having horrible constipation on Halaven. My Onc gave me this routine. Best wishes!

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,792
    Options

Stage 1,

Nutri Slim tea's main ingredient is senna, Cassia Angustifolia. This is often the main ingredient in most dieter's or super slim teas. Don't know if any brands don't have it but check the label's if you're sensitive to it.

Caryn

• stage1
    Options
    Thanks for the info,exbrngrlEmbarassed, teas are so confusing for me.  Some are good and some are not so good for estrogen + BC, too.  And I am kinda afraid of the senna...maybe I should try a little at a time, but don't want those crampsYell
  • exbrnxgrl
    Options

You can try steeping it for half the suggested time or drink only half a cup. I think Smooth Moves is very gentle. I once tried one of the slimming/diet teas and it was harsh on my system.

Caryn

• stage1
    Options
    Good suggestion.  I will look for it in the store tomorrow.  Thanks, CarynSmile
  • geewhiz
    geewhiz Member Posts: 671
    Options

OK...I would appreciate some opinions here. I NEVER have constipation issues unless drugs/anaesthesia is involved. BUT for about 2 weeks, things seem a little slow. I am vegetarian and drink green juice with loads of kale, spinach, celery etc daily. Nothing new is in my diet and I am over a year out from chemo etc.  So why am I having these issues all of a sudden? I got a box of senna tea today and drank a cup a few hours ago. How long will that take to kick in? I used to hear about people griping and I would think...OH geez, just drink green juice and get some more fiber...but NOPE!! Must be a little more to it. I of course am a little panicky that something more might be at play : (

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653
    Options

geewhiz how old are you?  Did chemo put you in chemo-pause? Are you middle aged. Constipation and digestive issues are not unusual to start up in your 40's. My IBS started at 45. I found I have trigger foods. In my case it's high fat animal products like red meat, cheese or chicken skin. For you it might be something else.

• geewhiz
    Options

Yep!! Middleaged and darn happy to be so :D

I am almost 46 and yes, hit chemopause on my first tx, November 2009. I honestly haven't changed anything in my diet, or exercise routine.  Maybe there is a trigger I am not thinking about...

• stage1
    Options
    The green drink is very good, but the fiber is left in the juicer, so along with my green drink, eat whole fruit and veggies too. I think cabbage or turnip in your juice will work.  I did that a long time ago and it really went through me fast.  Try the chia powder in steel cut oats. I am looking for a happy medium, I am trying differnt ways, I still need to go about life without having sudden problemsSurprised I will try the senna tea. 
  • geewhiz
    Options

Thanks, Stage1. I do have what's called a "masticating" juicer...so I get lots of pulp in the glass. I will try turnips...I use lots of red and green cabbage, bok choy etc already. I eat steel cut oats for breakfast daily, so will try some chia in them tomorrow :)

• Sis49
    Sis49 Member Posts: 4
    Options

Popcorn does the trick for me - with lots of real butter, and sometimes tabasco sauce. ;)

• sas-schatzi
    sas-schatzi Member Posts: 15,879
    Options

Gewizz-------try everyones >>>>>solver------you mave find a keeper--------- I did

• NCbeachgal
    NCbeachgal Member Posts: 67
    Options

Gewizz-add in some flax seed to your green juice. Works for me.

• rohanna
    rohanna Member Posts: 154
    Options

Sas. I love this thread! Here's something that works for me. I was bitching to my mom about constipation and she told me that when I was a baby, she put dark Karo syrup in my bottle and it worked every time. So, I purchased some at the grocery store and sweetened my coffee with two teaspoons of it. VIOLA! I'm also taking more fish oil. Thanks for all the great info. MOVING ON, LADIES!

• sas-schatzi
    Options

It's such a good place to get those little puns in Like"moving on" and "solver"

I have been made a believer in Miralax. At the store just now forgot the prunes

Ro, Uou won't believe what the fish oil or flaxseed oils will do for your hair and skin too, wish all drugs had that kind of side effect LOL.

Geewhiz-------sudden unexplained  changes in bowel movements can be a reason to get a colonoscopy. This isn't meant to panic you. Rules for women are 50 years old for first scope unless there is a "medically necessary reason". BC is not considered under that category. So, get yourself to a GI doc asap to get the change documented. That allows then for the test. Having the test is a great mind reliever. I, personnally, believe it should be done for all BC women. So look at this change as a positive.. It's not a time to keep the stiff upper lip. SHOW them how worried you are and how this is such a DRAMAtic change for you. DUH was that clear.

• Linda54
    Linda54 Member Posts: 509
    Options

Been off my calcium supplements for 2 weeks....getting more cal in foods.  Also taking metamucil on a regular basis. It has not helped at all.  Starting today I will leave off my Vita C supplements. I bought a bag of oranges so I will see what happens. 

• NJvictoria
    NJvictoria Member Posts: 45
    Options

Hi Linda54,

I'm a daily Miralax user also :P  Tamoxifen really has done a number on me! I put it in my morning coffee every day and it's working, thank God!

Vikki

• donnajrn
    donnajrn Member Posts: 31
    Options

To all the ladies that added suggestions......I thank you.

Donna

• sas-schatzi
    Options

Linda don't leave off your Vita C unless you are getting it from another source.

Lets make a plan for you and see if it works---------you can modify it however. Take your metamucil as usual

1Wake at the same time everyday

2. drink 2-3 glass warm water with lemon or mix your miralax in your coffee as someone suggested, but still drink 2-3 glasses of water

3walk, but only so many houses in each direction and so many in the other direction-.3-4.  Close enough that you can get back to the house in quick time. Make sure the door doesn't lock behind you LOL. or you have friendly neighbors or private bushes LOL

4Salad  or broccoli--------greens at least once a day-------MY personal hardest thing to do

5General mills fiber one-------try a half cup in the morning with all the water stuff, Sprinkle acidophilus powder on the cereal. Might even try a 1/4 to a 1/3 of cereal cup with each meal.

try for 7 days. The reason is you are training your bowel to go at a certain time. That's what it's called BOWEL TRAINING.--------Problem with that even on your days off you have to do it.--sorry.

• sas-schatzi
    Options

I have been seriously watching my water intake ever since we started this thread-------I have found that I am under drinking the table ---opps wrong story. Underdrinking  by at least half of what I should be. Then I upped it , but not by enough to see the change yet Had MRI today so washing it out---------realized ________I do not drink enough fluids even though I preach it.

Reminds me of My Dear Mary(relative). "Oh yes , I drink water all day long" I said we would measure it. I had her pick the glass she used all Day long to drink her water. She did ,turned out it was a 4 oz glass that she would fill in the morning. Leave on the counter and when she'd go by she would take a sip. She had morning tea/coffee and early mid afternoon supper with tea/coffee. Neither cup did she finish. We did this for a couple of days, without me making a comment , just observing.

She was getting approximately, 4+ 4+4---------16oz's a day-----she had Chf,but should have been getting at least the usual 8 -8 oz a day unless restricted by her doc.It all changed after that. Lots of details -----not pertinent to now Even with CHF --if the body doesn't have enough fluids , the heart and vascular system are going to compensate by working harder.

Sugesstion to all Tabulate what you are drinking to get a real clue on hydration.

• sas-schatzi
    Options

Okay this is going to sound very different, But when I was taking spoonfuls of acidophilus to counter resistant thrush. I had stool that were 12-15 inches long----------That's it no other description--------other than I wasn't constipated and these were formed stools not diarrhea

• Linda54
    Linda54 Member Posts: 509
    Options

sas-schatzi  that is a poop made in heaven....the poop of my dreams!!!....lol

I do wake up the same time just about everyday...except Mon & Wed...get up at 4:30 for Spin class at 5:30a.....cannot change that because I work and cannot go later

I mix the metamucil with 8oz warm water....have a cup of coffee....start my exercise (have a treadmill at home) and have plenty of water to drink...pretty much room temp water.  So that is another 3 cups of water. A cup of warm green tea with breakfast.

I eat FiberOne cereal and also Oatmeal usually mix homemade yogurt with my FiberOne so that takes care of the acidophilus.....as far as the greens..that is the problem....summer I eat lots but in the winter I do not.  Got to incorporate that into my routine...

I usually don't buy oranges but I did get a bag because of leaving off the C......

thanks for your advice....I think I am doing most of it.

Before my BC diagnosis I went every morning....I would have a cup of java with a banana...look at the morning paper then it would hit like clockwork......after my first surgery things have never been the same.

• sas-schatzi
    Options

Linda , I agree after the 4 surgeries plus 1 almost killer cheno----------nothing has been moving right since. The things I suggested to you have to be almost OCD things normal.The tortuous part is the routine of getting up at the same time of the morning -------------horrible even on off day 

If your out, use the seat things, there has been a great rise in contact dermatitis----------just do it.---------no matter how clean it looks.

Linda they gave you antibiotics pre-op and post-op-------------messes up good bacteri in the small intestine and large intestine.That's why you just can't go to the local grocery. Go to a health food store that has a solid reputation, Know what your buying and use it daily. I would suggeston the higher end stores versus of the local grocery and add either fish oil/ or flax oil

BARLEANS FOR THE FISH OIL AND BLUEBP0NNETT  FOR THE FLAX OIL/............ THOSE THAT WANT TO DO THERE OWN RESEARCH ENCOURAGE you to do so.

Big question on the fish oil is does the company guarantee that contaminents are removed? Flax question is it organic?

• sas-schatzi
    Options

Linda ___-    'poop made in heaven '------glad it made you laugh . The things we write about.

• sas-schatzi
    Options

okay poop-de-doo have we run out of suggestions or puns?

• exbrnxgrl
    Options

Improved stewed prunes:

1cup prunes

Scant 1/4 cup water

Zest from 1 Meyer lemon

Juice from 1/2-1 Meyer lemon, depending on taste

Stew as usual. Enjoy warm or room temp.

Caryn

• sas-schatzi
    Options

Caryn, a real pooper of a recipe---------sounds like it should keep things moving Thanks sheila

• Layla2525
    Layla2525 Member Posts: 465
    Options

I am sorry to hear about your troubles,I never had any either til the effin bc. Then nothing was moving for a week even the home health nurse was concerned. I had my surg on Mon. I was taking EX Lax every day and nothing so I went native.  What people in other countries where constip is seldom heard of....they squat. We obviously cant do that since we are not the bear in the woods. So I get my little footstool out stuff myself with calf select dried pitted prunes,steel cut oatmeal,lots of fresh homemade guac,dill and cilantro and organic baby carrots and the Colace stool softener and wait for nature to come a callin. And come a callin she did. felt much better but then had to get the yellow goopy hemmor ointment and the Tucks. Things were going so good,I had to eat a little rice to slow down the train. If all that doesnt work...you should seek professional help from a medical doctor. Oh well.its a wk later and I be all normal now ya'll. I really dont speak Southern but I think it means that the plan was a success.

• LtotheK
    LtotheK Member Posts: 487
    Options

A lot of people have IBS-C and don't realize it.  I've struggled with it my whole life, it's not an age-related thing. 

That said, I hate drinking water, so I'm going to be better.  I swear. Laughing