Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

New Jersey/NYC/CT/Eastern Pennsylvania ladies

Comments

• sandcastle
    sandcastle Member Posts: 289
    edited September 2012

When we can get a BREAST MRI, through Insurance One, two, three....I will then do the walk!!  And say....."now it is working".....Liz

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited September 2012

Joan... I understand. I think if I or anyone falls into that percentage that gets hit more than once by the beast or is diagnosed late stage, I think it is hard to have faith. Hopefully, someday, someday soon, there will be some progress. I did hear on the news last week something about a drug for other cancer helping with breast cancer. But I agree wholeheartedly woth most who say that we want prevention, not just a cure. There have been great strides in recent years with newer chemo drugs and hormonal drugs once diagnosed. The problem though still remains to be prevention and early detection. And Liz I agree MRI is the best tool.

For me, its a feel good feeling to walk. I do it as much for me as I do for the cause. And if I didn't walk it would be the same as throwing in the towel...  Komen did ruin the cause I feel... its a shame.

• JoanQuilts
    JoanQuilts Member Posts: 265
    edited September 2012

Thanks for your lovely reply Betsy.  I write an occasional column for nj.com and here's one I wrote on this very subject last spring http://www.nj.com/parenting/index.ssf/2012/05/questioning_the_charitable_wal.html

I know exactly what you mean about doing it for yourself!  I felt unbelievably accomplished having walked so far both times - like a regular athlete!!!

• shore1
    shore1 Member Posts: 591
    edited October 2012

Joanquilts, I just read your whole article. Very well said.

• alexandria58
    alexandria58 Member Posts: 202
    edited October 2012

Well written piece.

• JoanQuilts
    edited October 2012

Thanks ladies.  I published another article on Pinktober today on nj.com.  Here's the link if you're so inclined:

http://www.nj.com/parenting/index.ssf/2012/10/a_generation_of_breast_cancer.html

• shore1
    edited October 2012

Joan - good article!

• GreenMonkey
    GreenMonkey Member Posts: 291
    edited October 2012

HELLO LADIES, 

I'm in Connecticut. Had my BMX with immediate reconstruction at Memorial Sloan Kettering in NYC.

I'm also a blogger.

I'm currently recovering from my third revision. I'm miserable and I'm angry and I'm asking for help. 

If you can help me spread the word on this I'd appreciate it.  Thank you,  Shannon

LINK BELOW

• KarenZ0305
    KarenZ0305 Member Posts: 345
    edited October 2012

Hi ladies. Just checking in to see how you all are and hope you are doing well.

Starting radiation tomorrow! Wish me luck.

• Gayle56
    Gayle56 Member Posts: 111
    edited October 2012

Joan that was a good article, thanks for sharing.

Karen best of luck tomorrow, it will be a piece of cake after the chemo.

• JoanQuilts
    edited October 2012

I second what Gayle said!  I didn't have radiation this "ride" around, but I did 20 years ago and the worst part was having to schlep in the subway up to the Upper East Side and then down to my job on Wall Street every weekday for six weeks.

Joan

• rachelvk
    rachelvk Member Posts: 564
    edited October 2012

Hi Green Monkey. I'm originally from Fairfield. Where are you from?

• KarenZ0305
    edited October 2012

Happy Saturday ladies! Hope you are enjoying this beautiful weather!

• JoanQuilts
    edited October 2012

Well, it has gotten decidedly cloudier here in Middlesex County over the past couple of hours.  My son and I went to Giamarese Farms in E. Brunswick to pick some pumpkins.  It was pretty, but entirely too warm for this activity!  I missed that bite in the air!

• RealtorJackie
    RealtorJackie Member Posts: 9
    edited October 2012

I live about an hour and 15 mins. from Easton, in Schuylkill County, PA.  My BS is Dr. Riley.  I always said I would travel to the ends of the earth for him.  I interviewed 2 other surgeons from Harrisburg, and Reading.  Dr. Rilley impressed me the most.  My oncologist is at Fox Chase--a 2 hour drive.  We live in a rural area, but driving to have quality care just makes perfect sense!

• shore1
    edited October 2012

RealtorJackie, I just PM'd you.

• rachelvk
    edited October 2012

RealtorJackie - I get up to Easton every once in a while, as my boyfriend has family up there. And I did check out Fox Chase. It's a nice facility.

• j_self
    j_self Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2012

new to the discussion: live outside Philly in PA (delaware county south of airport) and work in center city.  just beginning this road.   I'm having diagnostic mammo and breast mri in the next week (11/2 and 11/5) and have been thinking about getting 2nd opinions before making treatment decisions. I'm interested in the comments those of you treated in philly at jefferson might have (that's where i was diagnosed, dcis grade3 found in pathology after breast reduction).  would appreciate your thoughts/advice

thx

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,480
    edited October 2012

Hello j_self, and welcome to BCO.

As well as what other members in your area may add, there's much more information about Getting a Second Opinion at the main Breastcancer.org site - the why, when, where and what to expect about second opinions.

• The Mods

• LockeKopp
    LockeKopp Member Posts: 16
    edited October 2012

I had my treatment at Jefferson. My MO is Dr. Basu and I love her! She is a great Dr. My BS is Dr. Berger and my PS is Dr. Copit they are both awesome! I went there for a 2nd opinion. I recommend it. I would go there again. The most important person is the breast care coordinator Rita she is a angel!

• alexandria58
    alexandria58 Member Posts: 202
    edited October 2012

Be safe tomorrow!!

• flash
    flash Member Posts: 129
    edited October 2012

Safe thoughts for all.  Rain and wind has started here in CT.

• Janetanned
    Janetanned Member Posts: 118
    edited October 2012

Hi j_self!  I also live in Delaware County and work in Philly (for HUP but not on campus). I go to HUP and am very happy with my tx.  Feel free to contact me for any specific information.  Jeff is great as well.  We used to live a few blocks away from Jeff and saw many different drs there.

• Waitingforthenextstep
    Waitingforthenextstep Member Posts: 124
    edited October 2012

Hi everyone,

Good luck in your journey to find the right Drs, MO's, and surgeons.  I can offer some info about treatment in Manhattan.  I live in Staten Island, but after my Dx, I went to MSK in Manhattan for my surgery.  Had I needed it they also would have used PS on staff.  If anyone wants to be treated at MSK I would tell you to call asap.  It is a long process, and before they will even make an appt for you, you have to send them CD's of your mammos, sonograms, MRI's, they also want the slides from your pathology report.  I had to contact the lab myself.  I had to get the radiology reports also.  All of this was before I was treated for anything.  I don't know about others, but it was very upsetting and frustrating for me. It seemed like no matter how many records I sent (via UPS), I still needed to get something else.  Finally, I was given an appt. and had my surgery there.  Once you do get it, it's a well-oiled machine.  Everyone is on the ball. They totally set you up with follow-up, chemo, MO. appt to come back.  Someone posted earlier, they wont see you at the NJ MSK unless you start at Manhattan location.  Hope this helps,  it's the best place to be, but be prepared to go through some hassle before you get there.

• KarenZ0305
    edited October 2012

How's everyone managing Sandy? So far so good!

Be safe!

• rachelvk
    edited October 2012

j_self - Welcome to our board. I PM'd you about my tx at Jefferson.

• Bonseye
    Bonseye Member Posts: 124
    edited November 2012

We were without power for 7 nights/6 days....there is a lot of our town still without 11 nights/10 days.....I have no words.  My heart goes out to all the people suffering in ithis cold and no answers to their power situation.  Some of our town got power back and lost it again.  How cruel for anyone to experience that.  

Hang in there all my NJ/NY friends suffering at the hands of this horrible disaster....

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited November 2012

My parents are still without and then while at my house, an armed gunman broke into their home last night... I am praying for power today for them... Just too much for them to handle.

• JoanQuilts
    edited November 2012

So sorry for those of you who are still without power. We lost ours for four days, but realize it could have been a lot worse.  The snowstorm yesterday was just "icing" on the cake so to speak.  And to think we still have the whole winter ahead of us.

In better news, I jettisoned all head coverings this past week and am officially "topless."  My hair is very short - shorter than it's ever been - but looks kind of trendy, if I do say so myself!  It has been a liberating experience to go out looking different than I used to and I think it will make me more daring in the future.

And in yet OTHER news, I got nipples on Monday!

Joan