Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

New Jersey/NYC/CT/Eastern Pennsylvania ladies

Options

Comments

• JoanQuilts
    JoanQuilts Member Posts: 265
    edited June 2012
    Options

Hi Grannydukes and welcome to our little slice of heaven on BCO :)

Where in NJ do you live and where were you treated?

Reading your signature - how can you have had DCIS and a positive node simultaneously? 

• FireKracker
    FireKracker Member Posts: 5,858
    edited June 2012
    Options

I live in Old Bridge right off RT9.

dont read my dx.its been changed a million times.Had the first dr.make all kinds of mistakes.Still wondering if he was tryin to kill me.

The Dr.who fixed me all up after i got an ammended path report is Dr.Camal.She was the head of Monmouth Medical.Just recently I found out she is Medical Director in Riverview...love her.Her office is in Oakhurst.

Im really from Brooklyn.Just retired and moved here 5 1/2 yrs.ago.

• ginger_mea
    ginger_mea Member Posts: 135
    edited June 2012
    Options

I just found this thread.. I too am from NJ.  I live in Brick my BS is Dr. Adams in Neptune, and my ONC is Dr. Katz in Howell.  I had 4 surgeries last year starting in Feb. through March, 2 lumpectomies, lumph node and more tissue excisions.  I am finished with active treatment, chemo (last Aug.), rads (Nov.), herceptin (this past April) and now am on AI's the 5 year plan...

Glad i found you all and I will be stopping in now and again. Oh, and Joan you look beautiful with no hair!

Blessings to you all, Ginger M.

• alexandria58
    alexandria58 Member Posts: 202
    edited June 2012
    Options

So we have a whole bunch of new NJ gals.  We need another get-together date.

• sandcastle
    sandcastle Member Posts: 289
    edited June 2012
    Options

Ginger......I had my Mastectomy at Ocean Medical Center.....with Dr. Mark Schwartz.....he is in Brick and Oakhurst....my Oncologist is Dr. William Lerner in Manasquan.....My Plastic Surgeon is Dr. Christopher Godek in Toms River.........I was pleased with all of them.....Liz

• JoanQuilts
    edited June 2012
    Options

Oh my, Ginger, what a lovely thing to say about me!

• FireKracker
    edited June 2012
    Options

I know there are a lot of new jersey sistas on here.I am fed up with my oncologist...my D3 levels went down from 45 before bc without takin D3 to 33 in April.She was supposed to call my internist (who is supposed to be her friend) with my results.well she didnt.Last week I had to see my internist and asked her if she got my blood results.NO.so she called and called me with that drop...Im not happy with her and i feel because im not takin the ALs that she is not treating me like i should be treated...

Does anyone just love their Oncologist????I live in Old Bridge but I have medical transportation as long as i stay like 45 min.away.

• proudtospin
    proudtospin Member Posts: 4,671
    edited June 2012
    Options

Ginger...I am annoyed with my surgeon (McManus at St Petes...she cancels and changes appts too much)

What is the full info on your surgeon and what hospital are they part of?

My onco is Donna McNamara at Hackensack as I am crazy and work up in Hackensack but live in Sayreville.  Yes I know, lots of miles on thecar!  Hackensack seems short on BS folks so thinking I should look down here. 

• JoanQuilts
    edited June 2012
    Options

I really love my oncologist.  He is Dr. Fein in Somerset, probably within 45 minutes of you (he also has an office in Monroe).  I have met a couple of the other oncologists on staff too and I like them too!  http://www.healthgrades.com/physician/dr-robert-fein-yngj3

• proudtospin
    edited June 2012
    Options

Joan, I am sure you posted this at one point but the brain is too angry tonight to think clearly!  Can you give me the name of your surgeon?  Assuming you were happy with them...

• JoanQuilts
    edited June 2012
    Options

Yes, absolutely Iris.  She is Dr. Leah Gendler at Morristown Medical Center.  My PS is Dr. Isaac Starker, same hospital.  I am happy with both (though I won't have my exchange surgery until next month so don't know what my "final boobies" will look like.  But all the docs who have seen them thus far say he did a very, very good job!).

• proudtospin
    edited June 2012
    Options

thanks Joan, need to figure this out, as a dif pal said, maybe I am just too pushie...comes from my job in advertising...deadlines!

maybe I am over reacting to the last mamo report but I know enough to know that the dumb stuff needs a biopsy to see if the new junk is a problem

can you tell I am made?  do you hear the thunder?  that is me!

• kayak2
    kayak2 Member Posts: 9,028
    edited June 2012
    Options

Granny... love my oncologist James Salwitz who is with Central Jersey Oncology in East Brunswick and New Brunswick (opposite St. Peter's Hosp).  He is knowledgeable, caring, sensitive, listens, follows up.....  He writes a weekly blog (usually on the weekend) which you can follow by logging on to "East Brunswick patch" or googling Sunrise Rounds to get a sense of what he's like.  Good luck.

• JoanQuilts
    edited June 2012
    Options

Yes, I hear the thunder Iris!

Kayak and Granny - I attended Look Good Feel Better at Central Jersey Oncology.  Seems like a good practice!

• proudtospin
    edited June 2012
    Options

I remember meeting with someone at Central Jersey Oncology, my pal who went with me, she was a doc wife and was very impressed with the right up and questions by the NPperson

I ended up at Hackie for onco as I was doing rads there so I could keep on working....mano why can I not be 65 and do a retirement

• JoanQuilts
    edited June 2012
    Options

Iris - are you assuming that you've got IDC requiring chemo because of the garbage on your most recent mammo?  When will you know for sure?

• proudtospin
    edited June 2012
    Options

yeah, I am assuming something like that, I know that whatever it is, I can not do rads so it will need chemo or mastectomy or that is what I think

I was fine waiting till today for the surgeon visit but pissed as H that she canceled on me

I know a pal said it might mean that it is not urgent but....she does not have the big thing!

new appt is not till next Thurs, if this was the first time she changed my time, it would be fine, but it is not

also, I won a prize,.......4 days in Vermont from BC.org!  and I gave it back as I thought I needed to keep my BS appt!!

no appt, no vaca in VT so yeah, I am pissed

• alexandria58
    edited June 2012
    Options

Iris,

Does sound like you need to see someone else.  No wonder there's such a fierce storm raging.

i can't pm you - for some reason unexplained to me - my private messaging has been limited.  Probably something to do with the train wreck of a thread on the DCIs forum.  But, anyway, get through the next few weeks, and I promise to take you to Vermont for 4 days.   (I have a house in northern NJ.)

• sandcastle
    edited June 2012
    Options

It is OK....to be pissed at the Doc.....if you did not feel secure with her anymore....you can just Fire! her remember...this person has to walk with you a long time...Liz

• proudtospin
    edited June 2012
    Options

Alex, thanks, your offer makes me feel better.

current BS has to meet with me next week or I will bolt but in the mean time, checking for a dif surgeon and moving on if I have to!  gads, all the docs around here love my BS person! and she was named one of the 100 best docs in NJ...so much for that!

will see if I can PM you

• JoanQuilts
    edited June 2012
    Options

Iris  - don't put the cart before the horse.  Try to stay calm - repeat after me:  OHMMMMMM

• alexandria58
    edited June 2012
    Options

Iris,

I can receive messages but not send them. I got your message.  Annoying.  I should be able to send messages tomorrow.  Had a lot of PMs regarding Rena.  (If you don't know, don't ask.)

I had my surgery at Thomas Jefferson in Philadelphia.  A bit far for you.  I know people on this thread who are happy with their docs further north.

Agree with Joan - calm.  You don't know that there's anything bad.  The waiting is hell, though.

• sandcastle
    edited June 2012
    Options

I, was in a watch and wait pattern with my gyno in Millburn and he was in the same book....I just wonder if only he had been more aggressive....I give a Doc a GOOD try and like I said if it is not working I just FIRE Him...or Her.....I had that happen at St. Barnabas in Livingston....Liz

• FireKracker
    edited June 2012
    Options

Please give me a break with all these wonderful drs.Everyone has these great reviews.wonderful!!!!!!!so why are some of these sistas soo unhappy with these wonderful drs?

I will check out Central Jersey Oncologists on google.I heard about Dr.Fein.I also heard he is very busy...

I have plenty of time to do my homework...thanks for all the help.

If I sound angy I am....really angry cause everyone raved about this onco too!!!!All my other Drs.know her and love her...well I dont.Done.finito.IM MOVING ON.

• sandcastle
    edited June 2012
    Options

A wonderful Doctor is the one that keeps you alive......Liz

• JoanQuilts
    edited June 2012
    Options

GrannyDukes - I've never had a problem getting in to see Dr. Fein.  I called his office before my BMX and they told me to call back after - that there would be no problem getting me in.  He spent an hour and a half talking to me at my first appointment.

• FireKracker
    edited June 2012
    Options

Thanks Joan...He is on my list....I have 2 so far...AND they are close by...My onco that i am getting rid of is in Lyncroft.see ya!!!!!

• sandcastle
    edited June 2012
    Options

I don't know if this will be helpful for you...ATLANTIC HEMATOLOGY ONCOLOGY ASSOCIATES IN MANASQUAN .... they are on Atlantic Ave...I am told that anyone in that group is good....for myself I did not have to do rads or chemo or tamox....I got this group from a lady who went to them for about 25 years.....I also learned just recently from a girl I met and did her surgery at Sloane that this group was reccomended to her for treatment close to home....Liz

• FireKracker
    edited June 2012
    Options

Sandcastle--thank you...im a brooklyn sista who has no idea where Manasquan is.But im collecting all the info I can...I have all summer to figure this out...

You all are wonderful!!!!!!!!!thanks again.

huggggggggggs to all K

• rachelvk
    rachelvk Member Posts: 564
    edited June 2012
    Options

My goodness you ladies were busy today!! I really like my onc but she's in Philly, so probably not much help.

Grannydukes - I hope you do find a good doctor who treats you right. You deserve it!