Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

New Jersey/NYC/CT/Eastern Pennsylvania ladies

Comments

• LockeKopp
    LockeKopp Member Posts: 16
    edited November 2012

Armed gunman?! Glad to hear nobody got hurt....I'm sorry to hear that. I hope they caught that son of a b$&!%.....

We are really lucky, we did not lose power.

I hope and pray for all the families they have support and get the power back soon.

• proudtospin
    proudtospin Member Posts: 4,671
    edited November 2012

Oh B, how terrible for your parents.  I do hope they are safe now?

Me, Sayreville is the Raritan river and I was without power for 8 days.  ymmm

but my gym.......had hot showers, heat and place to charge my cell so I lived there as much as I could.

• rachelvk
    rachelvk Member Posts: 564
    edited November 2012

Betsy - I'm sorry to hear your parents had that awful experience. I hope they have power back and can feel safe again.

Joan - Sounds like things are going really well. Congrats on the hair, and the nipps. How are you feeling?

My power was out for a week, and then it took another 2 days to get phone/Internet/TV back. But I consider myself so fortunate when I hear about what others had to go through. Let's hope this is it for craziness this year.

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited November 2012

My parents are back home with power.. the gunman is still at large but they know who they are looking for.

Thanks all.

• engk916
    engk916 Member Posts: 4
    edited November 2012

Hi, I was recently diagnosed and have met with a BS and PS from mt Sinai. They seem great, but my dh really wants me to go to mskcc (we have an appt there tomorrow) because they're a cancer center.

How did you choose you hospital? There are many great surgeons, I'm not sure how I should decide.

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited November 2012

I chose a local BS in Somerset whose care I was under a while back for ADH... she has a great reputation and I trust her. Then I went with her recommendation for an oncologist - a man who used to work at MSK, but local. This was important taking chemo into consideration (3 trips to the doctor per infusion) I thought traveling to the city would be too stressful. Then I decided to have MX with DIEP flap, and chose a doctor in New Orleans based on reputation and patient satisfaction. My opinion, and I emphasize MY... MSK is great at cancer but not great at reconstruction, so depending on what you are having done, perhaps you should consider treating the cancer at MSK and looking elsewhere for recon assuming you need a MX.

• rachelvk
    rachelvk Member Posts: 564
    edited November 2012

engk916 - I went to Thomas Jefferson in Philadelphia. If you are opting for reconstruction, you need to find the best combined team that makes you comfortable - both breast surgeon and PS. You need doctors you are comfortable with, who listen and don't talk down to or at you. I believe that's as important as the technical skill they have. I'm in E Windsor - PM if you want. I'm sorry you have to join us.

• sandcastle
    sandcastle Member Posts: 289
    edited November 2012

It...always seems that since we are Tri-State we should go to NYC......my daughter wanted me to do that....but I was STRESSED with the whole picture.....I did not go to NYC......I can tell you one thing that my Oncologist...Dr. Lerner and his group in Manasquan has been recomended to people that needed treatment before surgery and that reccomendation came from MSK and NYC....so there are good people in Jersey......after a BAD experience with a Doctor that was to be so GREAT at St. Barnabas in Livingston ....I then went to a surgeon in Oakhurst with offices in Brick....I had my surgery at Ocean Medical Center.....I am glad I did not leave my area as it was stressful enough for me.....my best to you in your journey....Liz

• JoanQuilts
    JoanQuilts Member Posts: 265
    edited November 2012

Many of the doctors here in New Jersey have trained with the doctors at the top hospitals in NYC, so they have the same skills and techniques.

• sandcastle
    edited November 2012

YOU...are so right Joan.......once a person calms down from this news they can make a better Choice that will fit them....Liz

• engk916
    edited November 2012

I'm going to an NYC hospital because my parents and siblings live in queens/long island. we moved to princeton for work, so we figured it would be easier to do the surgery in manhattan so my family could visit me, and also help with the kids when i go in for checkups subsequent surgeries.

I do know what you mean about needing convenience at this difficult time though, I'm going to do my chemo locally.

I'd like to do my reconstruction at the time of mastectomy so I can just get on with my life!! everyone says breast cancer is a marathon, not a sprint, but it's hard for me to imagine the long road ahead of me. :(

• sandcastle
    edited November 2012

You....Have a Plan......Liz

• shore1
    shore1 Member Posts: 591
    edited November 2012

Eng916 - I am in Mercer County also. I PM'd you.

• Bonseye
    Bonseye Member Posts: 124
    edited November 2012

engK916-Hang in there...it is quite overwhelming but you can do it!  I know hearing that initally I was thinking "I sure hope so"  I did everything I could to live simple for the 10 months of treatment.  I had surgery twice before 5 months of chemo...singles, broke an ankle (lowest point for me) right before TRAM surgery....then had radiation.  I didn't think I could bear it all....Somehow we all did  deep and reach out to the ones we love and you will get through it.  We are all here for you too!  This is a great group of support!  It was hard for me to have others doing so much for me, meals and rides and just stopping in to make sure I was ok. I think back and smile ear to ear with all the love that came my way.  here is my patient profile my Breast Center used my story.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irhThSK6iF4&list=FLyE-Ffw-gcAZ9fhxniyK7YQ&feature=mh_lolz

I hope this can help...it can be a long road.  I had gone to MSK in NJ and got a second opinion from Dr Capko who was awesome and I did get my radiation there.  I had Dr Schupak.  Love Love Love her!  The staff was so great to me....nothing but good care there.  

• proudtospin
    edited November 2012

My BS was Susan McManus, referred to her by my PCD at the start.  She has a great reputation and I was pleased with her surgeries.  Surgery was 3 lumpies at St Peters in New Brunswick.  When I needed to do radiation, I chose Hackensack as it is very close to my office and I did work during that deal. My onco is at Hackensack and I am very pleased with Hackensack docs

• JoanQuilts
    edited November 2012

Who is your onco Iris? When I was first diagnosed 20 years ago my onc was Dr. Andrew Jennis at Mt. Sinai.  He moved to Hackensack at the end of my treatment and I understand he is still there.

Engk - the good thing about time is that it DOES pass.  It doesn't seem like it will when you're stuck in the middle of it, but it does.  I was diagnosed early December of last year and I have since had a bilateral MX, 6 rounds of chemo, my exchange surgery and new nipples created!  I also jettisoned my wig last week.  So, in a little less than a year, I am 90% "there" (I still need areola tatooing).  You'll be looking back from the other side before you know it.  Hugs.  Joan

• engk916
    edited November 2012

thank you so much - it's so hard to know what's in store for me.  i know it;'s a long road, but glad to hear things get better.  i decided to go with mskcc because a friend of ours works there, and has helped us navigate the cancer treatment process tremendously, figured it's easier to go some place where i can call a friend with questions.  i'm glad we have a place nearby where i can do my chemo, it will make things much more convenient.

• proudtospin
    edited November 2012

Joan, my onco at Hackensack is Donna MacNamara.  Her name was given to me by two dif folks who had good expereince with her.  I am very pleased with her, she also knows my BS well even though they are not at the same hospital they do communicate well.  Not familiar with your doc although, the cancer center there has grown a lot

Actually, I have had such a good experience at Hackensack that now I look to them for any new doc I need.  Great help from a urologist for my overactive bladder nonsense....problem solved with physical therapy and no surgery!

• Cynbest
    Cynbest Member Posts: 4
    edited November 2012

Hi all,

I just wanted to chime in on how much I loved Mt Sinai. Surgery by Dr Port, and my Onc is Dr Adelson. Dr Green did the radiation. The Dubin Center is so great and you don't have to worry about coordinating all your charts between your docs and now I see them all at the same time every six mos. I do live in Manhattan, but loved the drs there.

• JoanQuilts
    edited November 2012

I had my first treatment done at Mt. Sinai Cynbest (20 years ago).  Dr. Tartter surgeon (now with St. Luke's/Roosevelt), Dr. Jennis oncologist (now with Hackenack) and Dr. Dalton radiologist (not sure if he is associated with Mt. Sinai or not).  I have been seeing a mammography practice on the East Side for years and it was Dr. Susan Drossman who diagnosed my most recent new primary - I feel she saved my life.  Highly recommend her.

• Cynbest
    Cynbest Member Posts: 4
    edited November 2012

Joan, where do you go for mammos? I go to NYMI on East 82nd and that is where they found my lump. Dr Berson, (who I always say saved my life.) How funny if they were at the same place? They just opened the Dubin Breast Center at Mt Sinai, if you ever find yourself in the area pop in and see it, it's really nice. They were just finishing the radiology section when my treatment was ending and it was night and day compared to when I started. I think that hospital is one in a million!!

• JoanQuilts
    edited November 2012

Cynbest - I went to Schaeffer, Schoenholtz and Drossman at 488 Madison Avenue and 52nd Street.  Of course I won't ever be going there again as I no longer have my original "girls" to xray....

• alexandria58
    alexandria58 Member Posts: 202
    edited November 2012

I used to go to Mt. Sinai for my mammograms. 

• KarenZ0305
    KarenZ0305 Member Posts: 345
    edited November 2012

Hey Jersey girls! Anyone else sad about the demise of Hostess?

Petty I know but a favorite childhood memory was smelling the baking when I would go up to the meat store (think its Sleepys now) on route 18 with my dad (who passed away in 1988) and then going to the outlet store "just to see what they had".

Anyone remember the factory?

• proudtospin
    edited November 2012

Sure I remember the sweet smells of all that sugar.  But the folks loosing their jobs, very sad and wish it could have been avoided.  Then again, does anyone really eat that sweet junk anymore?  Seems to me the needed a product overhaul.

but I confess I never have been into that white sugar sweet stuff

• JoanQuilts
    edited November 2012

Wishing all of "my" NJ/NY/CT/PA ladies a very happy Thanksgiving.  This second "journey" of mine started with my mammogram the day after the Thanksgiving Day weekend and except for a bit of reconstruction still remaining, I am just about done.

This Thanksgiving I am particularly grateful to have HAIR! 

xxx ooo Joan

• LockeKopp
    LockeKopp Member Posts: 16
    edited November 2012

I got hair too :-) I can't believe, I got a few gray hair!!!

• Waitingforthenextstep
    Waitingforthenextstep Member Posts: 124
    edited November 2012

Hi to all NY/NJ/CT  strong women,

I got my surgery done in Manhattan at MSKCC, chemo I get done locally, wish I could go to Sloan, just to inconvenient.  I think we are lucky to have places like Sloan and Mt. Sinai to choose from.  My first opinion I got locally, I probably would have gone with that surgeon, but he was going on a vacation, so I couldn't wait.  I'm glad I went to Sloan though.  It was top notch all the way.

• proudtospin
    edited November 2012

Joan, and beautiful hair it is!

• JoanQuilts
    edited January 2013

Just wanted to bump this up for all of our newly diagnosed sisters from the tri state area (and Pennsylvania). We're here to share local resources and information!