Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

New Jersey/NYC/CT/Eastern Pennsylvania ladies

Comments

• juneaubugg
    juneaubugg Member Posts: 517
    edited February 2013

Joan: I had Gendler too. There really isn't anyone else if you're at Morristown. She is IT, and all you could possibly hope for in a BS. She's amazing.

I chose Renee Comizio for my PS. She's wonderful. I love her. Like I said both women, both my age, both knew how attached I was to the outcome. And I look pretty amazing, considering.

• sandcastle
    sandcastle Member Posts: 289
    edited February 2013

I..am so very happy to see all this information about Doctors and other's experience with them...ONLY...wished that I had been hooked up to these board when I was first diagnosed......it would of helped a lot....Liz

• jsrose14
    jsrose14 Member Posts: 42
    edited February 2013

hello ladies,

i know that someone posted back on this thread about a wig shop in livingston/short hills, nj. does anyone know the name of the shop? also i heard of a place in nyc called "underneath it all" that is supposed to be great. anyone been? i figured i should go now before surgery in two weeks--i may need chemo although a final decision has not been made yet. i feel like they just aren't tell me for sure to get me thru surgery but being brca 2 + i have a feeling it's more likely than not :(.

thanks,

jrose

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited February 2013

That was me... Wigs Excetra

Wigs are expensive (like $500), so I wouldn't buy one until you know you'll need chemo. But you could certainly go try some on and get the ball rolling.

• jsrose14
    edited February 2013

Bdavis-

Thanks. I thought it might be you. I just figured ill go now while I feel good. I have my surgery scheduled for march 6 th and will be doing it at Pennsylvania hospital with dr dahlia Sataloff and dr Bucky will do the reconstruction.

I did see dr Domcheck as a result if someone's post here--THANKS!! She is great and I feel that I am in good hands.

Hoping to enjoy these next few weeks before my surgery!

Jrose

• bdavis
    edited February 2013

The sisters who run the boutique are very sweet. I would spend hours there... Erica and her sister. They probably don't remember me, but at the time, Erica gave me her cell number, would buy me snacks and drinks... Very welcoming.

• juneaubugg
    edited February 2013

There is a place in East Hanover Nj, right up rt 10 from Livingston.

http://www.justforyoucenter.com/

Just For You Center Wigs, 37 Mt Pleasant Avenue, East Hanover NJ 07936

They were great!

• Janetanned
    Janetanned Member Posts: 118
    edited February 2013

Jrose - If you feel like traveling to Delaware County there is a really nice little wig shop in Media PA (not too far off of 95).  I bought 2 wigs from this shop, each was under $200.  They were synthetic and held up very well.  The first one I bought I wore every work day for months and no one knew it was a wig.  I got so many compliments from people who didn't know I was having chemo.  The shop also carries a nice selection of hats and scarves.  The woman who runs it was a rad tech for many years and seems to 'get' the whole bald thing.  She really helped me with the process.

www.lovelyyouonline.com

You are in very good hands with the team you picked!  Will you see DR Domcheck at the Perlman Center at Penn?  I had my chemo there and found the chemo suite to be very comfortable.  The nurses were great.

• JoanQuilts
    JoanQuilts Member Posts: 265
    edited February 2013

I got my wig at the following shop in East Brunswick:  thewisecenter.com.  I also got a new free wig (with tags still attached!) at the American Cancer Society in North Brunswick.  Many ACS locations offer this service.

• juneaubugg
    edited February 2013

Jsrose; I will add that I bought one that I NEVER WORE. I hated it. Thought I would love it, but didnt. Also also of the headscarves with the hanging bits... Hated them on me. Ended only wearing skull caps, like beanies I guess. I'd wait until you're in it to make that choice. Everything feels/looks different when it's on a bald head. Your hair will change how it will really be. So save your money and wait.

• bdavis
    edited February 2013

jsrose... I also bought a wig online that I hated from TLC.. It was unattractive and itchy and nothing like the picture in the catalog... When I went to the boutique with my hair styled like I wanted I could easily pick a wig that most resembled my own hair... Plus I bought a lace front so that I could pull it back. I didn't care for the look of a wigline in the front. A lace front synthetic wig made by a good company is about $450-500.. Can you find a $30 wig? Yes, but that is what it is. A $30 wig. And that was the one I ordered... BIG DIFFERENCE. They also had real hair wigs at the boutique, but they were well over $1000.

So I chose my wig prior to chemo (two weeks), but when my hair actually started falling out, I shaved my head and went straight to the boutique for a wig fitting, that can only happen when you are bald. They made it fit perfectly. Plus my insurance company paid $500 per year for a wig. So I got two.. one in 2010 and one in 2011.

• regbeach
    regbeach Member Posts: 84
    edited February 2013

I am my mother's caregiver since her stroke in June.  Yesterday we got preliminary biopsy results- malignant and aggressive is all I know so far.  We have an appt. with a surgeon in a week to discuss further.  The biopsy was done at the Breast Center at Monmouth Medical Center in Long Branch. They have a "comprehensive" program.  The surgeon appt is there also. 

Has anyone used their doctors and services, etc?   We are in south Jersey, about an hour from Philly.  Should I be looking at hospitals there for the "best care."  

We have been through 3 hospitals, including a renowned neuro center, and 2 rehab facilities in dealing with the stroke.  Some of our experiences with doctors, nurses, aides, medicine errors, miscommunications, etc have been unbelievable- in a negative way.  Perhaps that is just the world of healthcare.

Thanks.

• EverydaySparkle
    EverydaySparkle Member Posts: 4
    edited February 2013

Regbeach ~ I just had a BMX last Monday at Monmouth Medical Center. All my care including diagnoses was done through Jacqueline Wilentz breast center. I love everyone there! I knew from the first phone call I was going to be in good hands. My surgeon is Dr. Goldfarb. He's great!! Feel free to message me if you have any questions. I don't sign on here too often. My email is everydaysparkle2@gmail.com or you can find me on my blog on Facebook at www.Facebook.com/NJ.harmonywithin.

best wishes to you and your mom :)

• sandcastle
    edited February 2013

EverydaySparkle......I had my surgery at Ocean Medical Center in Brick....but my BS also works out of Monmouth Medical Center...Dr. Mark Schwartz....a really nice and compassionate man....both I and my husband were happy with him....Liz

• FireKracker
    FireKracker Member Posts: 5,858
    edited February 2013

I do everything in Monmouth Medical Center.The jacqueline Wiletz  breast center is wonderful.My BS is Dr.Camal who unfortunately left to go to Riverview so I see her ther...My RO is Dr.Mitchel Weiss.Marvelous.

Im going there next month for a stomach surgery....I have complete confidence with the stomach drs.there too.My internist also belongs there.

Was hospitalized for stomach issues many times....

You will be in good hand there.Im sure of it.

Any questions feel free to pm me.im always on these boards.

good luck

grannydukes

• sandcastle
    edited February 2013

Granny....I know of others who have used Dr. Camal....but I did not know of her before my surgery....you are right these boards are good for help.....I used Dr. Lerner for my Onc from Atlantic Hemotology and Oncology...Liz

• bren58
    bren58 Member Posts: 688
    edited February 2013

I am facing ALND surgery with complete removal of level one and two lymph nodes. I have seen Dr Gordon Schwartz at Jefferson and Dr Brian Czerniecki at Penn. Both seem very experienced and are highly recommended. Anyone have experience with either for this particular surgery? Neither has a great bedside manner, but I know that really has nothing to do with their surgical skills.

Thanks in advance for any insights you may have.

• proudtospin
    proudtospin Member Posts: 4,671
    edited February 2013

Bren, can not comment on the docs named but as a doc told me years ago, surgeons are not trained in bedside manner.....think it was my primarey care doc who said that to me when I complained about the ENT guy she sent me to for sinus  surgery...a royal jerk but good surgeon!

• sandcastle
    edited February 2013

Brenn.....That is a hard one.....bedside manner is important and I do better with a Doctor who has learned this....I would guess you would have to follow your gut.....and if you are not comfortable with them....Just FIRE them and move on....Liz

• blondiex46
    blondiex46 Member Posts: 2,726
    edited February 2013

i called the acs and they told me that there are places to get free wigs....so try that....not at crozer where i go, but i think bryn mawr...

• Janetanned
    edited February 2013

Bren - I see Dr Czerniecki at Penn and I trust him with my life!  While he may not seem to have much bedside manner, I found him to be a very caring and sensitive man, along with being a fantastic doctor.  He is a dedicated surgeon and researcher.  Early in my BC journey I was waiting for results from my second biopsy.  The results came to his office on a Friday afternoon while he was away at a conference.  He knew I wanted to know the outcome, so he called me from the conference.  When I didn't answer, he left his personal cell phone number and told me to call anytime over the weekend.  When I returned his call he shared the bad news and spent some time calming me and answering questions.  He had me come back to the office to talk about options.  He did my SNB a week before my scheduled surgery so that we knew what we were dealing with.  Unfortunately, I needed an ALND on my left side, which was done during my bmx.  I just saw him in January for my one year follow-up.  Even though I haven't seen him in a year, he remembered our previous conversations about my kids and what they were up to.  I think he is a great guy and I highly recommend him.

• bren58
    bren58 Member Posts: 688
    edited February 2013

Jane, one my biggest fears with the ALND and rads is lymphedema and loss of strength and mobility in that arm. Do you have either of those?

• jsrose14
    edited February 2013

Hi, I am scheduled for surgery on March 6th. Doubl Mx with immediate Recon.  Has anyone used a home health care agency that they would recommend? If so, how often did you have them come or if not, how often would you recommend they come.  My plan pays for 30 days so I don't want to use it all but I am thinking definitely in the first two weeks when I get home. My  husband wants to get the precertification going now- we are also splurging and getting a private room at the hospital!!

Thanks!

jsrose

• proudtospin
    proudtospin Member Posts: 4,671
    edited February 2013

I do not have a suggestion but I would likely call the hospital were I am being treated first for a suggestion.  Then I might call my insurance agent 

I am big on research but this would be my start

• sandcastle
    edited February 2013

jsrose......My Doctor ordered home health care for me and he ordered it once a week a nurse from  Meridan Home Care, my husband was my caretaker and we only used it for a few weeks.....I was entitled to 180 days....but it goes by the insurance to be honest we knew we had to have it at first...but it is always a different nurse person .... Liz

• blondiex46
    blondiex46 Member Posts: 2,726
    edited February 2013

I have nothing, when I got out of the hospital for the abcess Crozer provided me with home health care paid for by medicare...

• alexandria58
    alexandria58 Member Posts: 202
    edited February 2013

Since I had a BMX with no recon, I went home the same day as the surgery.  I was uncomfortable, but managed quite well without home health care.  DH drove me to the doctor to have the drains removed.

• melissa119
    melissa119 Member Posts: 127
    edited February 2013

Jrose14...

Regarding the home health care. My BS and PS both were against that. They don't believe they do much for you and say that they sometimes do more harm than good meaning could think something is wrong when it is not. Anyway that was what they thought so I went with it and just had my husband and mom help out. Good luck with the surgery and speedy recovery!!

Melissa

• JoanQuilts
    JoanQuilts Member Posts: 265
    edited February 2013

I went home after my BMX after two nights in the hospital, with just my husband and sons at home.  I would not have needed a home health care attendent.  I was pretty much walking around taking care of business - being careful not to lift too much and resting a lot.  My synagogue delivered meals so I didn't need to cook - but I could have!  The surgery may not be as bad as you are anticipating!

• Janetanned
    edited February 2013

Bren - My PS gave me exercises to do once I was able to raise my arms.  Also, along with a visiting nurse, I was entitled to an OT who came out to my house a few times after surgery.  She had me exercising to increase range of motion and regain strength.  Within a few weeks I regained all range of motion and strength.  My RO was concerned that I might loose some ROM after rads, so he sent me to a physical therapist to be evaluated (Penn Medicine at Radnor).  Again I was given exercises to work on and encouraged to take part in their Strength After Breast Cancer program.  I went for 5 sessions.  The first was all about LE and how to avoid it.  The next 4 were dedicated to stretching and weight training (also at Radnor).  It was a good program and I learned a lot.  I have not lost much if any strength or ROM in my ALND side.