Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

New Jersey/NYC/CT/Eastern Pennsylvania ladies

Comments

• sandcastle
    sandcastle Member Posts: 289
    edited September 2014

Thank YOU!! So much for your input.....I put a call into Centra state this afternoon....they will return it tomorrow....Looking for Direction with the LE.......have to stop playing golf......it got me into trouble...going to join the Y......Liz

• proudtospin
    proudtospin Member Posts: 4,671
    edited September 2014

good luck Sandcastle!  yell if there is any thing I can do for you!  I have noticed recently they have a partnership with Hackensack cancer center where I was treated ( I worked in hackie at the time)

anything I can do, tell Tim to take care of you, my name is Iris!

• KarenZ0305
    KarenZ0305 Member Posts: 345
    edited October 2014

Proud - I belong to the gym there and wonder how many times our paths have crossed!

• proudtospin
    edited October 2014

Karen, I usually go to the gym at Old Bridge, generally since retiring I am an early bird!  we may have passed, what time do you go?  Freehold is farther for me

• KarenZ0305
    edited October 2014

usually late morning after getting the kids on the bus and a cup of "me time" coffee

• sandcastle
    edited October 2014

If...any of you Girls here Need to see a Therapist/PT for Lymphedema I Have had a Wonderful Experience at CentraState in Freehold......they have a Lymphedema Program and are Very Professional and Through.....I am very happy I went there.....Liz

• proudtospin
    edited October 2014

good to know, I have used the gym down there and was very impressed by it

also my old trainer who is working on his PHD with specialty in cancer survivors has been down at CentraStates a lot lately,

• sandcastle
    edited October 2014

Iris.....Thanks for the Heads Up on CentraState.......I have a very nice Therapist her name is Elvira.....she fitted me for my Sleeve today and I am using one at night......I just cannot say enough....I had a very negative experience with another place.....Liz

• proudtospin
    edited October 2014

well who ever is running the show there is doing good!  so good to hear and good experience, it is about 20 miles south of me so doable for visits

• proudtospin
    edited October 2014

I am so glad to have found these boards, the support and info available, can not be found elsewhere! or I have not found it anywhere else

• sandcastle
    edited October 2014

You.....are so very right...........other people's experience is so very helpful......Liz

• KarenZ0305
    edited October 2014

Speaking of CentreState - I belong to the gym there and tomorrow night they are doing a BC awareness event - wear your pink and come to a line dancing class! I'm so in! If anyone else is there I'll be the one with a survivor shirt on from the walk a few weeks ago!

• sandcastle
    edited October 2014

They are also having a Support Group on Nov 19th for Lymphedema Patients......not really sure what it is about.....CentraState is a very nice hospital.....Liz

• funthing42
    funthing42 Member Posts: 236
    edited December 2014

Help

I'm so lost. Stage 1 x 3. Removed b/l breast. Chemo finished in July. Still taking Herceptin . Anastrozole. Cancer is back after my vacation in SEPT. I'm hoping for local only. I'm Getting a bone scan tomorrow.

Now they are talking radiation again. Electron Beam . Are there any Breast only Oncologist around this is Unbelievable.

• DaniellaD
    DaniellaD Member Posts: 228
    edited December 2014

funthing42 not sure where you are in NJ but I highly recommend Sloan Kittering in Basking Ridge. My doctor is wonderful - very young but brilliant obviously to be at Sloan at her level. Her name is Asma Latif. The other breast oncologist there in that location is Dr. Gorsky. I heard she's very good. I'm sorry you're going through this again. Good luck! Prayers for you

• proudtospin
    edited December 2014

I have an oncologist at Hackensack (Donna McNamara) who specializes in Breast and Ovarian cancers.  I agree to find an MO who specializes in breast issues.  Not sure where you live?  if you post that you may have more specific info given.  I know my surgeon Susan MacManus is now head of the Breast center at St Peters and you could call there for MO names (New Brunswich area.  Good luck and let us know how it settles out

• KarenZ0305
    edited December 2014

I'm a patient of Dr. Hamilton at MSK in Basking Ridge. I felt going to an MO right after my biopsy results (which was done by McManus) before surgery was best for me and there are so many wonderful breast MOs in this state that I'm sure you'll find the one right for you. The most important thing is to find the one that's tight for you. Good luck.

• proudtospin
    edited December 2014

I second Karen's thoughts, I interviewed a second MO as well as 2 dif RO docs     first RO doc took 2 phone calls while explaining Rads to me, I left quickly with him yelling after me....."but you have to do this" but by then I knew I did not need to use the first place and could be picky. My RO..at hackensck was Loreen Godfrey and loved his manner and skill

it is all confusing but reading this thread gives you good info so deep breath.... 

• KarenZ0305
    edited December 2014

...and don't be afraid to ask questions. We're here for you!SillyHeart

• funthing42
    edited December 2014

Hi everyone. My Pet Came back negative. But I guess it should having only finished Chemo in July. Then to show up in Sept. While still on Herceptin and Anastrozole. Oh well.

Anyways thanks for all the feedback. Still waiting for path report. Maybe this is not Her2. again.

I was a Pt of Dr Susan McManus. First time in 2009. Nice Dr.

I just want to be a long-term survivor, and Not be stalked the rest of my life.

Sorry for whining :)

• KarenZ0305
    edited December 2014

Funthing whine away! I'll bring the chocolate

• proudtospin
    edited December 2014

funthing, if you are still looking for a MO who specializes in breast cancer, betcha  Mcmanus's office would give you names?   I would trust anyone she gave.  I went up north for my MO really because I was still working and that was Hackensack so much easier to deal with the rads at the time, the MO was referred to  me.  You might check out the CINJ for a name also

Absolutely, we all want to be long term survivors ~~

• Evermour
    Evermour Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2015

Hi Ladies:

Does anyone have a recommendation for a stylist in northern/central Jersey who will put hair extensions in short hair? My hair is about 1.5 inches and most places I found seem to only want to do it on hair that is 3-5 inches long. I have young children, work, etc and am so ready to ditch my wig and try to regain some sense of normalcy:) Thanks for any suggestions!

• proudtospin
    edited January 2015

My hair dresser might, she is in East Brunswick and if convenient to you.  She works out of Constantino's in the Summerfield shopping plaza off of Rt !8?  I need to look up the phone but let me know

• funthing42
    edited January 2015

Awesome Idea hair extensions. Never thought of that. My hair is coming back.:)

I have a quick question? Has anyone dealt with having Rads twice. Since I have local skin recurrence they are suggesting this. I will need a great plastic surgeon after all of this is finished. I would like to put stomach flab to use.

I guess I will check out Sloane Kettering for Rads. Subways to and fro.

• speechmom22
    speechmom22 Member Posts: 13
    edited February 2015

Glad to have found this group! I live in the Lehigh Valley, Pa and have all of my docs through St Luke's. My BS, Dr Kelly, has been amazing! I just met with my MO last week for the first time and will be starting TCX4 tomorrow. Getting nervous but remaining positive. Only real issue I have now is the insomnia. So much on my mind!

• proudtospin
    edited February 2015

mom, very understandable about the insomnia, dang normal.  Do not hesitate to talk to doc and ask for some help in form of sleep aid.  I hesitated but finally caved and took something.  You need your strength, best of luck

• KarenZ0305
    edited March 2015

hope everyone is enjoying the beautiful snowy morning and being careful!

• proudtospin
    edited March 2015

Karen, I am only down the way from you but not enjoying the dang white stuff although, my car is dug out and that maybe it for today! 

wanna meet up at Sandy Hook when it melts?  my form of a mini vacation

• KarenZ0305
    edited March 2015

would love to! Maybe we can get a group and do a Sunday brunch somewhere?

LADIES - who wants to do a Sunday brunch?!