Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

New Jersey/NYC/CT/Eastern Pennsylvania ladies

Options

Comments

• rainnyc
    rainnyc Member Posts: 801
    edited September 2017
    Options

scaredashell07, just saw your post today. I consulted earlier this year with Andrea Music at MSK and liked her a lot. I had heavy-duty radiation, so for me it's DIEP or nothing, probably. Then I got busy with work and didn't want to take the time for the surgery, but if I decide to do it, I would go back to her. I liked her a lot and thought she was extremely professional, knowledgeable and warm. I've heard nothing but good about her in my two years of being treated at MSK. Good luck!

• Amunya
    Amunya Member Posts: 3
    edited September 2017
    Options

Hello all! First post here, am glad to have found a community close to me that is so crazy supportive.

It's been a crazy month for me. Went from having a skin condition to Paget's Disease to DCIS to stage 2/3 breast cancer all within 2 weeks, and all while only being 32. It's been really rough for me and my family but we are getting through it so far. Started chemo last week, will be doing 6 big rounds every 3 weeks. Side effects haven't been too too bad, a lot of muscle aches, acid reflux and very painful acne. Based up in Northern Jersey, so we've been going to the Chilton Breast Center since it's so close to our house and every doctor I need to see is in that building, very convenient.

Would love to hear other people's stories, especially if they are on the younger side. It's been one of the tougher things for me dealing with this is seeing all the other people in the chemo room are a lot older than me, and a lot of the resources I've seen have been for older women. No one really thinks of getting cancer in their early 30s, so I would love to connect with anyone in the area who's also going through this before they hit menopause :)

• tracyrosed
    tracyrosed Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2017
    Options

HI. I am Tracy. I am 1.5 yrs NED. I have recently relocated to NJ and I need all new doctors.. most importantly I am looking for an Oncologist to do my CA-15-3. I have to get all new insurance too.. so if anyone thinks on Insurance is better than others for our Breast Cancer needs that information would be appreciated too. I am in Jackson, NJ.. thanks so much.. and Happy Boobies to everyone reading this... tracy

• KarenZ0305
    KarenZ0305 Member Posts: 345
    edited November 2017
    Options

welcome to Jersey! Sloan’s just opened a location in Middletown which is not far from Jackson. Good luck

• dtad
    dtad Member Posts: 771
    edited November 2017
    Options

There is also a cancer center at Cooper University Medical Center in Camden that I would highly recommend. Good luck and keep us posted.

• cinsby88
    cinsby88 Member Posts: 2
    edited December 2017
    Options

Hello all,

I just found this thread I am a Jersey girl but now live in PA right over the border. I am from Hackettstown Warren county. I was diagnosed July of 2016 at the breast center in Morristown. My surgeon is also Dr Gendler. I love her!! My daughter also works at Morristown Medical Center as a RN. I had my radiation treatments in Sparta and my oncologist is Dr May. I am now NED and on Anastrazole. I have pain 24/7 from a failed fusion in my lumbar area and from the Anastrazole (arimidex) (sp)

Nice to meet all of you and looking forward to reading all of your posts.Smile

Cindy

• scaredashell07
    scaredashell07 Member Posts: 143
    edited December 2017
    Options

anyone use a doc in MSK in middletown office? My MO in basking ridge is not as proactive as I want

• Pharmgirl69
    Pharmgirl69 Member Posts: 2
    edited December 2017
    Options

Hi all, glad I found this thread and its updated recently. I was recently diagnosed IBC. I live in the Lehigh Valley, PA. I work at St. Luke's and all my doctors are there. So far (albeit I'm early in this battle) I love all my doctors. My onc is Dr. Pruthi, my BS is Dr. Tricia Kelly. My PCP is probably the best I've ever had, Dr. Caitlyn Dillon. I'm very fortunate to work for a great health system that is supportive and understanding.

I'm originally from NJ, growing up in Hunterdon County and attending Phillipsburg Catholic High school when it was still there. Hoping there are other Lehigh Valley folks?

• KarenZ0305
    edited December 2017
    Options

scared as hell - just curious- who do you see in basking ridge

• scaredashell07
    edited December 2017
    Options

Karen- I see dr ligresti.

• KarenZ0305
    edited December 2017
    Options

reason I ask is I’m not too warm and fuzzy with mine. I also think it’s because I’m so far out of treatment that it’s all formality now

• scaredashell07
    edited December 2017
    Options

Karen - who do you have?

• KarenZ0305
    edited December 2017
    Options

Ham

• KarenZ0305
    edited December 2017
    Options

sorry dam spellcheck 😝 I see Dr. Ha

• KarenZ0305
    edited December 2017
    Options

Dr. Ham

• KarenZ0305
    edited December 2017
    Options

I don’t know why but my posts keep getting cut off. I see Dr. Hamilton. I like her well enough but I liked my first Dr more. She went to another hospital near MSK

• Bhmomma
    Bhmomma Member Posts: 4
    edited December 2017
    Options

Long time lurker. For those having difficulty getting apts at MSK in NJ, I have a few thoughts. I was seen at MSK in the city and their Westchester County facility. First, I know the Westchester MSK Radiology will perform routine or diagnostic mammo/us/mri with any physician order, so that could be one way to “get in”. As always providing CD of all prior tests. Also, MSK has a fabulous program called MSK Direct where they partner with Businesses to provide streamlined access, information etc to companies that have requested this program as a perk to their employees. We didn’t even know my H company had this until I was getting frustrated with similar problems at NYU Langone, and when my H asked for help from the employee assistance program they told him about the MSK Direct. Ask your HR dept. Lastly, don’t hesitate to ask your physician for a referral. Often, specialty medical centers respond a biT quicker to another MD instead of general public

• sandcastle
    sandcastle Member Posts: 289
    edited December 2017
    Options

Does, anyone know of a Good Breast Doctor that goes to Overlook in Summit? Liz

• scaredashell07
    edited December 2017
    Options

Try sloan in bssoing ridge or Middletown. They are national cancer centers and worth the 30 min commute from central jersey aread

• AgathaNYC
    AgathaNYC Member Posts: 317
    edited December 2017
    Options

KarenZ0305 - I really like my MO at MSK very much. I see her in the city but I believe she also sees patients in their Middletown location. Her name is Jacqueline Bromberg. Good luck, I hope you find an MO you click with. It's so important!

• sandcastle
    edited December 2017
    Options

Really, looking for A Breast Doctor that goes to Overlook...doing this for a Friend...Liz

• dtad
    edited December 2017
    Options

sandcastle....IMO Overlook Hospital is just not a good facility, especially for BC. We are fortunate to live in an area that has excellent hospitals and we should take advantage of it. To start any one of the major NYC university hospitals are an excellent choice. People come from all over the world to use these hospitals. Also any one of the university hospitals in NJ would be a better choice than Overlook. Not sure why your friend is insisting on it. At the very least I would have her see what the protocol would be at one of these hospitals. Sorry to be so blunt but I'm a medical professional and feel very strong about this. I think where we are treated is very important and could influence the outcome of our care. Good luck and keep us posted.

• sandcastle
    edited December 2017
    Options

THANK YOU! For your help...I will see if Minds can be changed...I do know at one time Overlook was OK....but have not been up there in sometime....your information is something to take very serious....Liz

• dtad
    edited December 2017
    Options

Hi again. There used to be a Dr. Wax there years ago that everyone used. I don't know if he is still there. I live 5 minutes form Overlook and have a lot of personal experience with it. Many years ago it was affiliated with Columbia Presbyterian and was actually one of the better hospitals in the area. It has since gone way downhill and would never recommend it to anyone I cared about. Good luck and keep us posted...

• sandcastle
    edited December 2017
    Options

Yes....I do remember it being affiliated with Columbia years ago...so surprised it has gone downhill...when we lived in the area that was my hospital...In fact I did have surgery there...have since moved to the shore Area.  Liz

• thinkingpositive
    thinkingpositive Member Posts: 564
    edited December 2017
    Options

sandcastle...haven’t you checked Robert Wood Barnabas NJ ? I was treated at St Barnabas and was very happy.

• sandcastle
    edited December 2017
    Options

Thinking Positive....This is NOT for me, but a friend who lives up North. I, myself am Seven Years out...Liz

• sandcastle
    edited December 2017
    Options

ThinkingPositive.....You, mean St. Barnabas in Livingston?  I, also went up there and did not fair well....a few on theses Boards went to the same Doctor up there and were not pleased...Thank God, I changed to one down here...Liz

• dtad
    edited December 2017
    Options

sandcastle...I would recommend any university teaching hospital. I know she is south NJ, but where. Cooper University Medical Center in Camden is a great hospital. Good luck

• sandcastle
    edited December 2017
    Options

dtad....My friend is in North Jersey....Liz