Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

New Jersey/NYC/CT/Eastern Pennsylvania ladies

Options

Comments

• thinkingpositive
    thinkingpositive Member Posts: 564
    edited December 2017
    Options

sandcastle... sorry didn’t realize it wasn’t for you. I guess everyplace has people who aren’t happy and people who are. Do you mind if I ask who the doctor is that people aren’t pleased with.

• sandcastle
    sandcastle Member Posts: 289
    edited December 2017
    Options

ThinkingPos....Sent you a PM.  Liz

• dtad
    dtad Member Posts: 771
    edited December 2017
    Options

sandcastle...in north jersey I would recommend any of the university based hospitals. Hackensack, Robert Wood Johnson or MSK in Basking Ridge. Good luck and keep us posted.

• jonib
    jonib Member Posts: 94
    edited December 2017
    Options

sandcastle - I used to get my imaging done at Barnabas in W. Orange, They called me back because of calcifications and told me I needed a biopsy. I quickly found another facility when the radiologist did not know what type of biopsy I needed and looked to the ultrasound tech for the information. I have been treated at Weill Cornell (first cancer) and NY Presbyterian (second cancer). The only NJ facility that I had treatment was radiation of MSK Basking Ridge. They do not do surgery at Basking Ridge. I called my radiologist when I was diagnosed the second time and she recommended an MSK surgeon and that surgeon operates at Overlook! I was very surprised about this.

dtad  - I never realized we lived so close  to each other. You recommended Dr. Feldman to me. I always thought you lived in Manhattan!          

• dtad
    edited December 2017
    Options

JoniB..no I live in New Providence but all my docs are in the city. I'm a firm believer of utilizing these amazing facilities. We are very lucky to be so close to them. Good luck to all.

• SK2008
    SK2008 Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2017
    Options

Hi

Read some interesting comments about overlook hospital. I have been going to Medical Diagnostics associates in Overlook since 10 years. In 2008, I was diagnosed at Stage III with positive lymph nodes and 4 years ago, it spread to the bones. I had surgery at St.Barnabas but chemo and Cyberknife treatments at Overlook.

So dtad, are you referring to the main hospital or Medical Diagnostics for cancer treatment? I am not a medical professional, so it will be helpful to know if I am doing the right thing by going here. What kind of experience did you have at Overlook? Who was your doctor? Any information would help!

Happy holidays to all.

Sandy.

• dtad
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Hi all...Many family members, friends and myself have had awful experiences there. IMO when they were acquired by Atlantic Health they fell to the bottom of the barrel. They tout themselves as a primiere neurological hospital but my dear friend had a ruptured brain aneurysm and had a terrible experience there too. I have not gone there for many years. When people ask me for recommendations I always tell them to go into the city. For those who refuse I recommend a university teaching hospital in NJ. My advice to you is to go to one of the major NYC facilities to get a second opinion. Once you find out what their protocol is for you, you can then make a decision. Hope this helps. Happy New Year!
  • Jenwith4kids
    Jenwith4kids Member Posts: 216
    edited January 2018
    Options

Hello NJ friends!! It's been a long time since I've posted! I'm four years out this month!! So good to have so much of this nightmare behind me. I'm ready for 3d tattoos and I'm wondering if anyone knows anyone in the NY, NJ area who is good. My PS gave me the name of Marie Barbuto (www.skincareofnj.com) but I'm not impressed by her website or the before and after photos.

Thanks!!

Jen

• Janetanned
    Janetanned Member Posts: 118
    edited February 2018
    Options

Hi Jen

I used Mandy Sauler 6 years ago. At that time she worked out of my PS's office (UPenn) 1 day a week. She also has a practice in NYC. I really liked her bedside manner and her work. My tattoos still look great. She matched the ink to my skin color so they look very natural and much like the originals. I believe she has multiple locations and other artists working with her.

Also, keep in mind that often the before and after pics that are posted on these sites are taken on the same day, when the tattoo is fresh. I found that the color was darker right after the tattoo procedure and that the area was also more irritated looking, so the real results are not obvious for a few days to weeks after the procedure when everything calms down and the colors look more natural.Mine faded slightly, but did not require a touch up, which she offered if I was not satisfied with the end results. Six years later and I'm still happy with how everything turned out.

https://www.saulerinstitute.com/our-team/mandy-sau...

• Jenwith4kids
    Jenwith4kids Member Posts: 216
    edited February 2018
    Options

thanks Jane! I could totally get to NYC. My sister lives near one if her offices in PA too. I've decided to go to the consult for the place my PS recommended... then I'll take it from there.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,048
    edited February 2018
    Options

Sorry to interrupt, but Healthline has asked us to help find a few women who are interested in sharing their breast cancer journey in a short video. They would film in NYC, and they are specifically looking for women who have metastatic breast cancer. If you know of anyone who may be interested, please let us know. Thanks! Medicating

• DCIS2018
    DCIS2018 Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2018
    Options

So glad to find a local thread! I'm on Long Island, but spend 5 days a week working in NYC, so have a fairly easy access to resources in both locations.

I was diagnosed a week ago and am currently in the processes of “shopping" for a BS and PS. I have my first appointment with Dr. Kimberly Van Zee at MSK next week - I read great things about her. I am guessing if I continue with her, I would have to pick from one of the PSs that are also part of MSK. Any recommendations for PSs that she works with?

• nanandstan
    nanandstan Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2018
    Options

Recently moved to East Norriton, PA, near Philly from North Jersey. Had left breast mastectomy with chemo 21 years ago but right breast giving me problems. Looking for a surgeon. Can anyone help?

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,048
    edited April 2018
    Options

Hi nan and welcome to Breastcancer.org!

We're so sorry for the concerns that bring you here, but really glad you found us. We're sure you'll find this space an incredible source of information, advice, and support.

You may also want to start a new thread in the Surgery forum with a subject line something similar to "Looking for Surgeons in Southeast PA" to get some attention.

We hope this helps and we look forward to hearing more from you. Please let us know if you need any assistance at all!

--The Mods

• randrgirl
    randrgirl Member Posts: 38
    edited April 2018
    Options

man- check out Fox Chase Cancer Center. I loved my BS there and he came highly regarded.

• sandcastle
    edited April 2018
    Options

Check, Jefferson Hospital Also....Liz

• Canela
    Canela Member Posts: 9
    edited April 2018
    Options

I'm in Passaic County and was treated in Hackensack. I'm really happy with my care there. I work in a major medical center at NYC and got a second opionions there, but in the end I decided to stick closer to home.

• scaredashell07
    scaredashell07 Member Posts: 143
    edited April 2018
    Options

sloan kettering an office in basking ridge and Middletown Nj. It’s a trek but worth the drive if you have treatment

• sandcastle
    edited April 2018
    Options

Sloan in New York City is a NCI Center....But New Jersey is Not....Liz

• Janetanned
    Janetanned Member Posts: 118
    edited April 2018
    Options

Nanandstan - You might want to check out Penn. All of my drs are Penn drs and I have been pleased with my care. I see my MO at the Perelman Center downtown, but I know that Penn has a number of satellite campuses that might be easier to access from Norristown. I use the pharmacy at Penn Medicine at Radnor and my daughter saw a dr at Penn Medicine at Valley Forge (just south of the King of Prussia Mall off of 202).

My breast surgeon is no longer at Penn, so I am not much help with a particular dr. However, when I was originally diagnosed after a mammogram, Penn chose my surgeon for me based on the type and stage of cancer I had. He then helped me pick a plastic surgeon for my immediate reconstruction.

• scaredashell07
    edited April 2018
    Options

sloan is an NCI center in Nj. The offices are sloan doctors. The surgeries are in NYC. The treatment centers ate sloan not “affiliated” centers

• sandcastle
    edited April 2018
    Options

The, Only NCI Cancer Center in New Jersey is Rutgers.......But Sloan in New York is a NCI Center.....Research it.....Liz

• scaredashell07
    edited April 2018
    Options

the same doctors that work out of Middletown NJ are in NY offices. They opened in December 2016. The basking ridge office is a NJ office but no surgeries are there. Sloan as an entity is NYC. And the have sloan centers in NJ. There several other medical centers that say they offer sloan protocol. But that's not the caee with the sloan branches in NJ basking ridge and middletown.maybe the moderators can confirm. It’s a NY center with offices in NJ

• sandcastle
    edited April 2018
    Options

There, are 69 Designated NCI Centers in the United States.

• sandcastle
    edited June 2018
    Options

Bump!  I, see some New Girls from NJ

• jerseymom12
    jerseymom12 Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2018
    Options

I have had all my mammograms in recent years at the Breast Center at Overlook and would not go anywhere else. So when I was diagnosed in May, I stuck with doctors at Overlook and have not regretted it for one minute. My surgeon The Breast Center helped me arrange a biopsy the same day my mammogram was done and my surgeon, Dr. Mandel, saw me just a few days later and was very responsive and comforting. My lumpectomy was scheduled quickly and I came through it with no problem. My radiation oncologist Dr., Emmolo and my medical oncologist Dr. Saksena and their staffs have been comforting, responsive and made me feel well taken care of and as comfortable as possible. They have support services including social workers, massage, support groups, and other offerings that I have taken advantage of. My experience with everyone at Overlook has been extremely positive and I would feel completely comfortable recommending it to anyone.

• Popcornme
    Popcornme Member Posts: 27
    edited July 2018
    Options

Is anyone doing or has done proton radiation therapy in ProCure in Somerset, NJ? I'm trying to decide if I will sign up for the Radcomp trial (proton vs photon radiation for the side effects). I live in Jersey City and work in NYC. I will be back to work during radiation and just trying to see if i will be too difficult to commute to Somerset everyday then go to work in Manhattan after.

• s3k5
    s3k5 Member Posts: 411
    edited August 2018
    Options

Hi,

Jerseymom12, I see multiple doctors at Overlook hospital and I have had very positive experience there. I don't see your diagnosis so I don't know what treatment you are undergoing. Couple of months ago I finished radiation to my lower spine (bone mets) and now on oral chemo.

Can anyone recommend a good orthopedic oncologist in Central NJ area? My bone mets have been very painful lately and I want to consult with an orthopedic oncologist to assess my risk of fracture.

Thanks for your help.

Sandy.

• Popcornme
    Popcornme Member Posts: 27
    edited August 2018
    Options

Is anyone taking medical marijuana to manage side effects? I'm beginning to look into some salves or creams to help with the pain from Taxol. I heard it can help with neuropathy too. I don't know the process really well of getting a medical marijuana card. Is it easier in NY than NJ? I feel the process isn't too hard, I might just look for CBD oils which are legal everywhere. Anyone have any experience with either?

• dtad
    edited August 2018
    Options

Ive been trying to get medical marijuana in NJ for a long time now! I have a prescription but the red tape in actually getting a card is ridiculous. My doc keeps telling me you have to be persistent but I don't really have the energy!