Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

5 year survivors, post your screen name here!

Options

Comments

• Artista964
    Artista964 Member Posts: 376
    edited May 2019
    Options

4 years ago on memorial day weekend I had excruciating breast pain. Was officially dxd on my mom's birthday June 2. Looking forward to officially posting 5 years next year!

• edwards750
    edwards750 Member Posts: 1,568
    edited June 2019
    Options

I’ll be 8 years out this August God willing. My tumor was found on my annual mammogram. IDC, Stage 1b, Grade 1 in 2011.

So far, so good.

Diane

• Shishlou
    Shishlou Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2019
    Options

I am a 2 time 27 year thriver! Presently managing mbc over 5 years now :)

I share all my resources and links on gotballZ. org

Best,

Shari

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,007
    edited June 2019
    Options

Thanks for sharing this Shishlou! You are an inspiration! Medicating

• margun
    margun Member Posts: 385
    edited June 2019
    Options

I have her2positive grade 3 bcBefore starting chimo i did ct scan and bone scan which was cleare.I asked my surgeon if she intends to do any scan or IRM before or after surgery to make sure nothing escaped. She said they analyze l’imbroglio nodes during surgery I see if all ok but no scan until god forbid some simptom arises. She said she cannot do IRM of the intiert body but only if an area if god forbid some unusual simptom is noticed. This is not settling to me. How was your experience, no mri or scan after chimo?Thanks for responding.

• edwards750
    edwards750 Member Posts: 1,568
    edited June 2019
    Options

Margun - do you mean MRI? I didn’t have chemo so hopefully someone who did will respond. All symptoms aren’t the same for everyone.

Diane

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 46,981
    edited June 2019
    Options

Nothing would show up even if something microscopic had escaped. A MRI would be pointless at that time.

• margun
    edited June 2019
    Options

therefor there is no scan showing that all is cleare? Some people did pet scan after chimio, that at least gives some cinfidence that after chimio nithing detectable is left and no need panicking every time some à part of body is sensitive Thanks

• Mommato3
    Mommato3 Member Posts: 468
    edited June 2019
    Options

I hit the 5 year mark in April. In the beginning I never thought I'd see this day. Doing well now except for the extra pounds I've gained from early menopause/Anastrozole.

• ruthbru
    edited June 2019
    Options

Awesome, ladies! I celebrated 12 years out in February!

• margun
    edited June 2019
    Options

I am on chimo now but after surgery and radio I will be on Herceptin for a year each 3 weeks.I have been told that Herceptin may affect heart but Not always. I would like to know if you could have enough force to go oversee, Europe while getty'ing Herceptin. I would like to go with my son or during break or summer. On summer I am thinking it would be too sunny and dangerous? I heard I must avoid sun all my life? At what extent? can I walk on streets for several hrs under sun with sunscreen or nott even that can be harmful.What do you know about the sun for cancer patients while on Herceptin or after while taking hormon pills Do you do enything particular agsinstthe sun than before cancer?
    Thanks

• ruthbru
    edited June 2019
    Options

A friend of mine (who was a foreign language teacher) took a student group to Germany in the 3 weeks between two of her Herceptin infusions (the last two actually). It was in the summer, and she did fine. I've never heard that you needed to avoid the sun on either Herceptin or on anti-hormonals (I took 5 years of Arimidex without ever thinking about the sun in relationship to the pills).

• margun
    edited June 2019
    Options

ruthbru- did you experience any se while taking only Herceptin or anti-hormones? Two people that I met at my surgeons office told me that anti-hormones give fatigue. One of them who was on them for 9 years now, told me that she wanted to drop the pills several times hoping to regain her energy but continued to take because her doc strongly suggested complete her 10 years. I also noticthat some people take antihormons for 5 years and some for ten years. That depends on agressivness or the tumor or on other factors as well?thanks

• ruthbru
    edited June 2019
    Options

Margun, no, I didn't have any bad SEs from Arimidex. I was a little 'creaky' at first but my body adjusted after about 3 months. My advice is to keep moving, keep moving, keep moving!

• rosiecat
    rosiecat Member Posts: 1,190
    edited June 2019
    Options

Hello Wrenn,

I too have metaplastic breast cancer - grade 2, spindle cell and adenosquamous. I was diagnosed in August, so a long way to go before I can say that I'm out. Well done, on achieving the six year mark. You're definitely home and dry.

• margun
    edited July 2019
    Options

anyone knoswhat is the difference between the nipple sparing mastectomy and Goldilocks?

• pumela115
    pumela115 Member Posts: 48
    edited September 2019
    Options

June 9th was 9 years for me

• Lucy55
    Lucy55 Member Posts: 2,703
    edited September 2019
    Options

August was 5 years for me !

• Sjacobs146
    Sjacobs146 Member Posts: 155
    edited September 2019
    Options

I was diagnosed 5 years ago on August 26. I'm feeling better than ever

• margun
    edited September 2019
    Options

Sjacobs- congratulations for the 5 years. Are you still on hormone pills and do you have any SE? What type of pills do you take? I am in fifties postmenopausal. Do you know if these facts affect what pill I will be given and how long

• ashley2
    ashley2 Member Posts: 24
    edited September 2019
    Options

January 16th 7 years for me ! all good ....

• Nash54
    Nash54 Member Posts: 699
    edited December 2019
    Options

5 years for me and all is well!

• HRyan02
    HRyan02 Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2020
    Options

6/30 will be six years for me!!!

• farmerlucy
    farmerlucy Member Posts: 596
    edited April 2020
    Options

Hooray for all these anniversaries! Congrats! Feels good to tear off those calendar pages!

• peregrinelady
    peregrinelady Member Posts: 416
    edited April 2020
    Options

5 years for me this month! Woohoo! Even though I know the risk of recurrence is still there, especially for me with a high risk BCI, the 5 yr. mark still feels like a milestone. 💪

• farmerlucy
    farmerlucy Member Posts: 596
    edited April 2020
    Options

Yay! Welcome to year six!!

• Sharon1942
    Sharon1942 Member Posts: 96
    edited April 2020
    Options

9 years this coming July

• margun
    edited April 2020
    Options

congrats to all that went beyond 5 years. But all I see are her2- ladies. Any her2 positive ones?

• AliceS
    AliceS Member Posts: 74
    edited April 2020
    Options

Haven't been on for awhile, but love getting emails on my favorite topics regularly. Margun just posted wondering if there were any HER2 Positive 5 year survivors. I'll be 6 years in October! Love and appreciate each day. I was stage 3, scared to death at first!

Best love and wishes to all---hang in there!!

• bikefam
    bikefam Member Posts: 98
    edited April 2020
    Options

Just hit 5 years. I will be done with Tamoxifen the end of this month! Hooray!