Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Why was I stronger DURING treatment than I am now?

Comments

• Timbuktu
    Timbuktu Member Posts: 1,423
    edited September 2014

I take 5000 IU of D3 every day and I finally got my levels up to normal..31.  Previously it was around 15.

since I haven't been out in the sun in months, the D is only from food and supplements.

I also take b complex and B12 for my nerves.  I take two viactiv a day for calcium.

• enjoyevrymoment
    enjoyevrymoment Member Posts: 239
    edited September 2014

I take the "gumdrops" from Costco Vitamin D which are 1000 mg each, so I take 2-3 a day.  Doing that has bopped my D levels up so I stick with that.

I take Calcium "caramels" Kirkland brand (are you seeing a pattern here, candy, candy, candy hahahaha) they are 500 mg each and I take two of them a day.

I take Biotin when I remember.

I have read some stuff about borage oil and something that is related to turmeric that begins with a c and then something also about the krill oil.  I am cheap for starters, and also I am not sure about what interacts with what so I am keeping it simple for now, may add more down the road.  I eat super healthy for the most part, tons of vegetables and use that free ap, MyFitnessPal which breaks down what you ate nutritionally so it is kinda cool that way.  

I really need to research stuff more.....

• Purl51
    Purl51 Member Posts: 174
    edited September 2014

Have been reading thread and send my warmest prayers and wishes.  Love you women.

• jennie93
    jennie93 Member Posts: 263
    edited September 2014

Ha ha ha, Purl, good one!!

• Lily55
    Lily55 Member Posts: 1,748
    edited September 2014

i buy from a company called detox dot eu but i find sources by googling. My doctor told me which makes are recommended.......it is important to use liposomal curcumin (turmeric) as its the most bio available. 

Boswellia is Solgar make anti inflammatory

I3C is Thorne

D mulsion is best for D3

Immiflex is the brand name and it is the best also has D3 in it

Salvestrol platinum is all you need for the name

• cfdr
    cfdr Member Posts: 308
    edited September 2014

USDA also has a free website where you can track your eating and get a report on your nutrient levels. It's a bear to keep up with, but I did it for about 2-3 months, which was long enough for me to get a sense of where I was going overboard and where I was deficient. I would never have known that I needed more choline and potassium in my diet!

I get my supplements at the Vitamin Shoppe. They have a rewards card, so at the end of the year I get a rebate. Last year the rebate was over $30, so my first purchase of the year only cost me 13 cents! I also get an email newsletter from them, they are constantly having sales. I spend a lot on supplements so every penny I can save is helpful.

• Timbuktu
    edited September 2014

Bosom, I've wonder the same thing so many times!  Why is everyone so young?  But just now it dawned on me.  Older people don't like computers!  I think the posters may be skewed to the young.

• enjoyevrymoment
    edited September 2014

Agree with you!  When I first got BC I thought, wow I am so lucky with all that has been developed.  Although I still feel that way, I am learning how very much more research is needed and changes to our insurance.  Had a lady in the office who got her mammos every two years like insurance said to and came in today with a lump.  Didn't move.  Sent her for a diagnostic mammo and haven't heard yet but I thought, well, Mr. Insurance, if your stupid guidelines missed this in her then be prepared to be dinged financially big time.  Would have been cheaper to allow screening mammograms each year on a 46 year old..... 

Ugh

• Timbuktu
    edited September 2014

Joan Lundon is my age and she was just diagnosed.  Her mammo was normal but an ultrasound picked up the lump.  The same happened to suzanne somers.  So I asked my onco for an ultrasound and he refused!

I'm thinking of asking another onco.  I don't understand his hesitation, ultrasounds are cheap and safe.

• Redheaded1
    Redheaded1 Member Posts: 1,455
    edited September 2014

Bosum I take 4000 units of D3 daily , 2 Citrical Slow Release Calciums, 1000 B12.  Some of the gals on the Spring Rads thread took that Turmeric stuff and they didn't burn at all.  I told my Onc I'd have been shoveling it in by cupful if I'd known it would do that.   Did the botox hurt?  I always said if I hit the lotto, my 11's between my eyebrows are GOING AWAY////

Also, My Physical Therapist told me today that if I walk for 40 minutes 3-5 times a week and do some type of strength training the other 2, I will be good.  She said for WEIGHT LOSS I needed to do an hour or more.  And yes, I could stand to lose some weight but if I lose between .5 and 1 a week, I am happy.  Did you find a diet for Cancer people that told you what to keep out of your diet?

I think we must be close in age, I am 57 and I know all those "stars" you mentioned.   I found a great night crème at Target called Boots#7.  they come in different formulations and when I get up in the a.m. and wash my face, my skin looks so plump and bright I can't believe it.  A lot cheaper than the dept. store stuff I had been using.

I keep a little personal journal, and try not beat  up too much on the slips and focus on doing what we can each day.  I log my steps, my meals, my sleep quality.  l I am sorry you feel like this is aging you.  I don't see it in my physical appearance, but I can say mentally I am much more timid and afraid regarding all things medical and physical.   I used to be the most fearless risk taker at the Courthouse.  I m glad I did early retirement in 2008 so they all didn't get to see my spirit dragging.

Also, I just found a Catholic thread, and that has helped me to buck up quite a bit.  I don't believe God gave me my cancer, but it has certainly drawn me closer to Him.

I will remember all you ladies tonight in my prayers.  Upwards and Onwards Gals.... We can all do this.....

• enjoyevrymoment
    edited September 2014

Good for you, Red.... I too am a mess with the Lord but figure without Him I would be even worse.  

;)  And in respect to those who do not believe in God or a higher power, love ya bunches, please don't be offended.....

Gosh girls we are close in age somewhat, I am 57..... 

• Timbuktu
    edited September 2014

My onco nurse told me that a half hour of excericize a day will cut recurrence in half.  Losing as little as 5-10 pounds will also cut recurrence.  Very motivating!  And that's why I have achilles tendonitis and have to wear a boot and go to physical therapy!  Loopy

• Timbuktu
    edited September 2014

Who does?Sad

• Sparkle2014
    Sparkle2014 Member Posts: 83
    edited September 2014

i found just being BUSY and active helps,,,  make a stop at a cute store and go in and brouse and walk - like anthropologie stores, TJ MAXX, Marshall;s, home goods, goodwill - KEEP MOVING - look, pick things up, push the cart, try things on, like shoes, handbags, etc,,,  look at things and DREAM - if i had a huge mansion on the beach - how would i decorate it - imagine - get the mind on to something carefree and fun - i find that really FUN,, I HIT THE GOODWILL AND THRIFT SHOPS AND FOUND MYSELF LOTS SOFT TOPS, designer shoes that feel good on, all under $10 and these things would sell for over $50-75 each,,,  that type leisurely movement is good for you - so one day maybe do real exercise, next go shopping for 2 hrs,,,  alternate...  makes the real exercise not so bad and then you get a variety of muscles being used - if you go walking - some days walk flat roads or park and other - add hills,,,  change it up - you will see RESULTS - and good nutrients in Special K cereal and zero FAT in it,,,  I am guilty of loving salty chips, snacks, crackers and frozen yogurt!!!  i do not love salads nor veggies - have to be in the mood to eat them, and I don't eat meat, chicken, pork and anything that used to be alive,,,  I am very picky so my options are limited - guess I need to begin taking the supplements or having vit enriched protein shakes made with lactose free hormone free milk,,,  and fruit....  i used to make shakes instead of the fro yogurt,,, i keep forgetting to look at the shakes sold at whole foods to see which they have without soy or gluten or GMOs...  anyone have a chocolate shake full of vitamins and decent protein to suggest to me?

• Redheaded1
    edited September 2014

I don't know the nutrition value, but I make a Jamaican Smoothie---

Banana, milk, peanut butter, molasses, and 2 tablespoons of sugar free White chocolate pudding mix by Jello plus ice in the blender.  

A lady on another thread swears by the "VIRGIN DIET" books by  J.J. Virgin--she is a New York Best Selling book and a nutritionist.

Another great book I just got a the library is Practical Paleo by Diane Sanfillippo.  If you like that book, they have it at SAMS CLUB for around 25.00 and it is 40.00 in the bookstores. (Paperback)

• Redheaded1
    edited September 2014

Molassess is soooo good......don't you like molasses crinkle cookies?????

• enjoyevrymoment
    edited September 2014

Sparkle I agree with you about the restorative nature of just aimlessly browsing even without spending.  Before you know it you have moved more than you realize.  

As far as a guilt free "shake"  here is a dandy one.  (where did I get that word, I have no idea)  

Alba chocolate shake mix.  Ice cubes as directed on package.  Protein WHEY powder, bought at costco.  Does not contain Soy

water and skim milk as directed on package.  Throw all in blender and blend.  Relatively cheap and nice and chocolately, filling and no soy.  May not be everyone's thing but it gets me through a chocolate craving, I sometimes use for a quick breakfast.

• Tomboy
    Tomboy Member Posts: 2,700
    edited September 2014

i love free people! i was born in 59, and when i was a kid, my mom and her friends would always look with interest in what i would put on! nothing better than mixing up colors and patterns and prints! they would tease me, but i think i was just ahead of my time!

• Redheaded1
    edited September 2014

enjoyeverymoment---is the Whey Powder flavored? 

• cfdr
    edited September 2014

Just got back from my med onc f/u: No Evidence of Disease! There is evidence of osteopenia, though, so I'll be starting on something for that soon.

Talked to the NP about ongoing fatigue. From what she says, I'm a total outlier. There is such a disconnect between what the doctors at Duke say and what I read on the internet (from very reputable sources, e.g. the American Cancer Society, UCLA medical center). Apparently I'm the only patient in the cancer center who has ever been fatigued past 6 months to a year. So I guess all the other women making up the 30%+ who suffer fatigue 5-10 years after treatment must go to other hospitals.

They don't say it but I'm sure they think it's all in my head. I'm beginning to think I am just crazy or lazy. Yet when the fatigue hits I know it's for real. Maybe it's just a coincidence that it all started after cancer treatment.

• Timbuktu
    edited September 2014

i'm 7 weeks out from last chemo and really exhausted.  According the Breast Cancer for Dummies, some people never get their energy back.  I hate it, absolutely HATE it, when they don't believe you.  Maybe it's a defense mechanism on their parts.  they don't want to believe they've hurt us in any way.

I have to say, my son is a dr.  It's hard to talk to him about a lot of things, he's very much into denial.  He never was that way before becoming a dr.  

• Timbuktu
    edited September 2014

LOL!  Yes, I had the same thought.  MEN!

My onco is a man and wants me to take the arrimidex so badly.  I know it's for my own good.  I think that's why he minimizes the pain and other side effects.  I was on and off the arrimidex until I developed the uterine cancer.  Now I'm not fooling around and my onco is so happy!  

• enjoyevrymoment
    edited September 2014

Mine is actually vanilla flavored, the serving size is two scoops but I use one.  I am not completely vegetarian or vegan but I am always trying to be sure to get the protein in.  And actually I got it at Trader Joes hahahaha  my memory is a mess.  One scoop of it is 65 calories and has 8 grams protein.  The Alba shake mix has 110 calories which that includes the 1/2 cup skim milk (you add 1/2 cup water too).  So the whole shake has only 175 calories and is pretty filling.  Alba shake has 5 gms protein so the shake total has 13 grams protein.  When you add the ice it dilutes it just the right amount, for me it works to have about 5 large ice cubes into the blender.  Gosh that makes a racket though. 

Edited to include- the fatigue oh my gosh I don't think it is imagined or in your head from chemo, I did not have chemo (oncotype 12) but have patients who say the same over and over.  I do wish every doctor could just feel how the patient feels for just 5 minutes and poof! There would go all the ignorance and wrong assumptions they sometimes have!

• cfdr
    edited September 2014

Ha ha, maybe I should order some copies of Breast Cancer for Dummies and send them to the Breast Cancer Center at Duke! With appropriate lines highlighted in yellow with sticky notes on the pages.Nerdy

• Timbuktu
    edited September 2014

Breast Cancer for Dummies was written by women doctors!

• Tomboy
    edited September 2014

well, they write it down: alopecia. at my place in the papers they give you, but what they DON"T tell is is that for many, it can definately be permanent.

• Tomboy
    edited September 2014

Yeah BB. What i am really still not liking, this far out, is the ongoing fatigue. i am wondering if it EVER will end.  i am sure it is femara, though, its kicking mah butt.

• Tomboy
    edited September 2014

i have been on all three of them now, bb. all are pretty similar. but, at least with tamoxifen, you do still have circulating estrogen, it just blocks the receptors in your breasts. i just got scared of it, because of the possibility of uterine cancer. so with femara right now, it is gentler, in a way than the arimidex was, but, my feet are killing me. and my cholesterol is through the roof, even with a very closely watched diet, almost no carbs of the bread type variety, bran muffins only, and benefiber AND beans!! i do get re-tested next week, cause they didnt tell me to fast, i didnt know they would be drawing blood. thought it was just a vad flush. i am so sick of all of this.

• Timbuktu
    edited September 2014

The Ai's are supposed to be more effective than Tamoxifin.

It was very lucky for me that i did not take Tamoxifin as I did get uterine cancer, without it!

• wintersocks
    wintersocks Member Posts: 434
    edited September 2014

kathec,

Are we s'posed to get a cholesterol check whilst on AI? No one has told me that. 

x