Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

For Arimidex (Anastrozole) users, new, past, and ongoing

Comments

• Taco1946
    Taco1946 Member Posts: 630

I'd too would give other meds a chance before you stop, Sandra - although some studies show that less than half of us will do the full 5 years. I take both claritin in the morning and benadryl (at night) and feel I'm pretty much SE free. I'm 71 and have already had wrist and foot surgery so I can't expect to feel wonderful all the time but I am playing golf and going to "stretch and flex" classes. Hope things get better for you.

• dtad
    dtad Member Posts: 771

Hi everyone...so sorry for those of you suffering SEs while on aromatase inhibitors. My doc at a major NYC university hospital also told me that less than half of us complete the 5 years due to SEs. I'm happy for anyone who does well on them but can someone please tell me why thats ok? How can this be an effective treatment option? We need to speak up for better treatment options!

• SandraSummers
    SandraSummers Member Posts: 9

Thank you for the response. I have so much trepidation regarding stopping...I will talk to MD Anderson about other meds...and change my diet.

• coachvicky
    coachvicky Member Posts: 984

I am determine to finish the 5 years. My MO tried 2 generics on me before getting me the brand name Arimidex. My insurance gave me a lifetime override for the brand name. I think overall my MO and insurance are truly working with me for success these 5 years. It took a lot of documentation on my part to get my MO to fully understand how brutal the side effects can be. My MO Team consistently told me that they would find a drug that would work for me.

Hang in there!

Coach Vicky

• suburbs
    suburbs Member Posts: 398

Hi Coachvicky. So glad you were able to get the right arimidex. When I started in July, I experienced horrible pain from my feet to my knees every time I stood up. After about six weeks, the pain dissipated. Now, it's just fatigue. I feel like I have aged 20 years in the last year. I can't complain anywhere but here. Even I am tired of hearing my complaints about side effects and post-surgery fun.

• coachvicky

Hi Suburbs,

Everything I read and a told by MO Team is that it takes a year from the last treatment for fatigue to end.

With the Arimidex on top of treatment, I think it may take a little longer

We are 3+ too. Those treatments are the longest and hardest.

To help me get over complaining (which I am a pro at) I think of three gratitudes each day. It helps me stay focused. Most days I am just grateful to be alive.

Coach Vicky

• peregrinelady
    peregrinelady Member Posts: 416

I, too, am just so happy to be alive. So, I tried Teva for a month and my feet hurt worse. Thought I would give it another month, then pharmacy couldn't get Teva. After being on the Accord for a month, feet feel better. Think I will stick with Accord, then try brand name at some point if I can get insurance to pay.
  • castigame
    castigame Member Posts: 336

I was so looking forward to starting Arimidex. Hyst scheduled for this Monday. I started having annoying overall pain. I hope this pain is due to interruption of all supplements I have been taking. Elbow Surgery two wks ago so I have not had supplements for almost 3 wks. I really want to cheat by popping all the calcium vit d glucpsamine ginger vit E maybe it is my nerves. Maybe an ativan would help

• peregrinelady

In my opinion, Ativan always helps, lol. But seriously, I try to take it very occasionally, but when I need it, I don't hesitate.
  • spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,178

Lady, go to the aramidex web site. You can get a 30 day supply for $30 per month, no insurance involved.

• coachvicky

Castigame

Best wishes with your surgery on Monday. I felt in control after mine and at peace.

I'd pop that Ativan. That is why you have it.

Coach Vicky

• suburbs
    suburbs Member Posts: 398

Hi coachVicky, that is good advice. I had started a list of things for which I am grateful and then let it fall by the wayside. Back to the drawing board.

I am surprised we all are not on IV Ativan if it exists. Everyday life can be stressful but adding the marathon of treatments for killing breast cancer and preventing recurrence is enough to make you want to hide under the covers.

• coachvicky

IV Ativan? What a great idea!

Dang, I should have left that port in!

Coach Vicky

• pabbie
    pabbie Member Posts: 70

It looks like I'm starting my Anastrozole with the Teva brand. But it's on back order.

• MarilynIllinois
    MarilynIllinois Member Posts: 50

Hello Everyone, this is my first time posting to this thread.

I have a question. What does joint pain feel like?

I had a sharp, searing pain in my knee yesterday morning when I was making the bed. I've been taking Anastrozole about 2 weeks. Thanks, Marilyn.

• leesad
    leesad Member Posts: 100
    Marilynillinois- i describe it like when you have a really really intense workout like with heavy weights and then yoga and squats and using every single muscle of your body....and then the day after this workout when you can't move because every muscle in your body hurts when you do is what my joint pain feels like. It's like the day after without the workout all the time. And exercise is really the only thing that alleviates the pain for me.
  • MamaOz
    MamaOz Member Posts: 239

hey girls its been 3 weeks on arimidex I got the name brand .. my joints have started to ache even my rib cage and clavical..

is anyone else taking boniva or some thing similar? i have osteopenia 2.3 and osteo arthritis and they want me taking something

Cripes like theres not enough side effects and Im really hesitant

Anyone taking algae calcium? Im thinking it may be better than ingesting the regular calcium rocks

• peregrinelady

Thanks, Spookiesmom, I will try that and let you know. I have seen Coach Vicky takes name brand without side effects. Have you had the same results? Anyone else?
  • peregrinelady

Also, yesterday, I asked the pharmacist for a 90 day supply of Accord. I keep forgetting to check out the Arimi

• spookiesmom

I did well on Teva, others do well on the name brand we are all different!

• MamaOz

After some research I think the pain in my rib area is from radiation not the arimidex.. theres a name for it caused by inflamation ..

So anyone else taking Boniva ? To counter the none loss

• MarilynIllinois
    MarilynIllinois Member Posts: 50

LeesaD, Thank you, I will know what to look for now.

MamaOz, did you see the thread called "Arimidex and bisphosphonates"? Would that help you?

https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/78/topics/854816?page=2#idx_37

• MamaOz

thanks marilyn,

Not sure if I found correct one but I really dont want to take the boniva...

I just ordered a plant based calcium with d3, k2 , magnesium, stronium, boron etc and will try that .. reviews showed improved scans and its hard to eat all the nutrients everyday.. I do make a juice each day

Im just 3 weeks post radiation so Im still a little wiped and sore from that.. its just all very surreal... dealing with all the treatments this year Dec2016 till now , and now 3 weeks into the arimidex, I am taking the real deal..

I think exersize is important and trying to maintain that I just started back to work , and its hard ...

Im going to be 64 in 2 months , wish I could retire and focus on my health but thats not in the cards

But I think working will be good for my brain..

Hope everyone is doing well!! So thankful for all the support!!

• jonib
    jonib Member Posts: 94

I have no side effects from the name brand. I do seem to be hotter than everyone in exercise class. If that is due to the Arimidex,  I can live with it.

• beckymd
    beckymd Member Posts: 27

This is my first time posting.  I was diagnosed with stage 1 BC in 1996 at age 39.  Had a mastectomy with recon (saline implant), and chemo - CMF.  Diagnosed with metastatic BC - pleural infusion - in March 2017.  After 3 rounds of chemo, started arimidex and faslodex in June 2017.  Have an occasional warm flash, but mostly just fatigue and some aches and pains (which I had before BC due to osteoarthritis.)  Is anyone else on this particular combination?

• spookiesmom

I was supposed to take falosdex, but won’t. I’m too afraid of se, specifically ONJ. I’ll be 69 in a few weeks, I’ll take my chances. I’ve read that while it does build bone, it’s not good bone. Not worth it for me. DEXA confirms osteoporosis.

• beckymd
    beckymd Member Posts: 27

Spookiesmom - Faslodex is the monthly injection to suppress estrogen.  Maybe you are thinking of fosomax?  Either one, I am afraid of all these drugs, too.  I currently take Reclast for osteoporosis.  I'm not sure if any of these "bone builders" really help, but I'm hopeful!

• spookiesmom

hehehehe you’re right, I was supposed to take the pill.

• MamaOz

thanks for in put girls.. right now the weirdest ache is in my ribs Im hopeing its from radiation and will fade..

• butterfly1234
    butterfly1234 Member Posts: 2,038

I'm getting Prolia injections every 6 months for potential bone loss with no side effects. I'm on name brand Arimidex since early May. Some joint pain in hands and feet. Manageable so far. I do have restless leg syndrome at night that keeps me awake so bad insomnia.Anyone have any suggestions on how to help with this?