Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Tumor markers elevated, a little worried right now.

Options

Comments

• Kindergarten
    Kindergarten Member Posts: 2,883
    Options

thank you so much, Linnyhopp and Sandy!!!

• goldie0827
    goldie0827 Member Posts: 6,835
    Options

Glad you didn't have to have surgery Kathy. My husband has skin cancer, up on his bald head and one spot on his back. I wish breast cancer was that easy to get rid of!

• Kindergarten
    Options

yes, Goldie, wouldn't that be great?? Hope your husband is doing well!! How are you doing

• goldie0827
    Options

I'm doing great! Just got back from 4 days in Colorado. Took our quad out there riding. It's so beautiful.

• Kindergarten
    Options

Goldie, How Fun!! You and your husband look so wonderful!!! Good for you guys!!!God Bless You, Both!!!

• Martessa2553
    Martessa2553 Member Posts: 12
    Options

I moved to Texas 3 months ago. And have been going through lots of stress in the past 2 years. I went to my new Onco a week ago and my CA27-29 can in slightly elevated 41.9....they just did another CA27-29 yesterday and now it is 40.0 My Onco has ordered a PTSCAN to make sure my BC has not spread.

I am really concerned about this.

• linnyhopp
    linnyhopp Member Posts: 466
    Options

Martessa ~ Most of us know exactly how you feel. I am glad that you will be having a PET scan to rule out a spread of disease. I see my new MO next week and I am wondering if she will order more tumor marker tests...I have a feeling she will. I know what you mean about stress. I am debating about retiring earlier than I planned to avoid the stress that I know will come this year due to changing circumstances at my job. I know it's easy to say, but try to do things to take your mind off of the PET scan results. This is a great place to come and vent, since we have all been there, done that! Prayers going out to you for good results.

Goldie ~ I love the picture of you and your husband. I can tell that both of you were really enjoying yourselves. Getting away and having fun is great medicine for our minds and souls!

Hi Kinder/Kathy!

• Kindergarten
    Options

Hi Linny !!! Hope your new onc is as wonderful as you!! Let us know how it all goes! If you decide to retire we could get together! We have a timeshare in Carlsbad!!!!!!!!

Dear Martessa! I do understand your worry and stress! I am so sorry you have to go through this!My tumor markers have been as high as 67! They have been jumping around for the last 4 years!! I have had every test and scan, and all appears normal so far! They are currently at 42! My once thinks this is normal for me!! She said she will not worry until they take a huge leap!!

• artsee
    artsee Member Posts: 701
    Options

Thank you Kindergarten for posting. It is encouraging for everyone to see that just because the markers are in a higher range, doesn't mean that we are on our death bed. So many of us have a new normal since our diagnosis. Unfortunately it all comes with a lot of stress and anxiety. Keeping on praying for you all. Those tests will be fine !!!

Artsee

• Kindergarten
    Options

Dear Artsee, thank you😃👌 I love your new self portrait!!

• artsee
    Options

Thank you Kindergarten......it's fun.....what can I say.❤️ Artsee

• linnyhopp
    Options

Kinder/Kathy ~ Thanks for the kind words. Yes, it would be wonderful to meet when I retire. I am seriously thinking about it as there are some things taking place that I find very difficult to accept. I have read many times that stress is not good for anybody and I really believe that to be true. I will keep you posted and very much looking forward to a meeting someday! I will let you know how the new MO is as well.

Artsee ~ I want to add that I love your new self-portrait as well. I am jealous of anyone's artistic ability. I definitely was not in that line when they were giving that talent out!

• goldie0827
    Options

Martessa, there are many things that can make our TM's rise. I don't think yours rising just a couple of numbers is anything for you to be concerned about at this time. But do keep an eye on them. Not so sure it warrants a scan, but it should put your mind at ease. May they find NOTHING! Please let us know.

Linny, I wish I could retire! But we own our own business, so not an option. It's seasonal, and things are starting to slow down, so that is good for the stress level, but not so good on the bank account!

Kathy, my TM's never took a huge leap. But continued to rise with each lab. I think they went up to 120, got them down in the 60's and now they jumped to the 70's. My onc told me that some gals, and I have seen on here as well, where their TM's have 4 digits!

Nice portrait Artsee! I'm like Linny and missed that line too!

So, as you can see, my TM's rose a bit. Onc is not concerned at this time as I did take a 2 week break, I'm not in any pain and I feel GREAT!

• artsee
    Options

Thank you lady's, you are very kind. The Avatar is so tiny, it's hard to see. Lol

I've had scar tissue surgery, on my breast so I'm anxious to see if my TM will go down. Every little oddity can make them rise. Unfortunately this can cause added stress which can cause cancer. I'll bet if we took a toll, every one of us has a very stressful episode sometime before diagnosis. What do you think? I know I did!!!

Artsee

• Kindergarten
    Options

Dear Linnyhopp, praying for you, as your new school,year begins! Definitely keep that stress at bay!!

Dear Goldie, I am so glad that you are feeling so good!! You are an inspiration to all of us!!!

Dear Artsee, yes, I was under a lot of stress when I was diagnosed!!!

May everyone here today have a day filled with Many Blessings, Joy, love and Laughter!!

• linnyhopp
    Options

Hi Everyone ~ I just wanted to let you all know that I love my new MO. She is young, has a great sense of humor, and really listened to my concerns. I asked her about the anastrozole causing joint pain and she said it definitely could, so I am going to try another drug and see if that helps. My mammogram came out fine..."no evidence of cancer at this time," so I am a happy camper. However, I still haven't heard about my tumor markers, so I don't want to get too happy...I am such a pessimist at times.

My big news is that I am going to retire on August 28th. My husband wants me to "go enjoy your life after cancer," and have less stress in my life. There are so many changes taking place at my school, including a new principal (which is actually a good thing), and when my best friend and co-worker of 29 years retired, I am the oldest living relic left on campus! I hoe I made the right decision. I will take some time to think about what comes next in my life and relax for awhile. After that, I have to get into a routine so I don't sleep in every morning...lol!

Take care and I hope all is great with everyone! Have a great weekend!

• thinkingpositive
    thinkingpositive Member Posts: 564
    Options

Linnyhop.

• Kindergarten
    Options

Dear Linny, great, great news!! Your onc is super and you are retiring!! We will definitely have to meet for lunch sometime!! I just met with a friend , who lives in Poway, for lunch in Carlsbad!!!

Don't you worry about those tumor markers!! Good things happen in threes! Good new MO, Retirement and good Markers!!

• linnyhopp
    Options

Kathy ~ Thanks for your kind words. It would be great to meet sometime. I will have LOTS of free time in 3 weeks! We will have to plan something...maybe in the fall?

• Kindergarten
    Options

Sounds Wonderful, Linnyhopp!! How is everyone doing on here? Hope everyone had a great weekend!!

• moni731
    moni731 Member Posts: 212
    Options

Hi all! I see this thread has been a little dormant. I have an update. If anyone remembers, I had my tumor markers tested in Jan, Feb and March. High of 54 then gradual drop to 41.9. At the time, my MO chalked it up to inflammation (many, many allergies) and left it at that saying 'you may just be high normal'. Last week I was getting clothes out of the washer and felt something on the right lateral breast that I had not felt before. Cancer before was on left. Re-inspection of the area revealed a good size lump. Not painful. Messaged my MO and she ordered an US immediately.

Well, I went yesterday and the BIRADS is 5 and now will do a biopsy sometime. I am scheduled to start a new job (dream job) on 10/5. I do not want to start any of this again! For now I am just going to be an ostrich. Should have listened to that inner voice back in March.......

• mysunshine48
    mysunshine48 Member Posts: 915
    Options

OH, MY! So sorry you are going through this.....again. I just started watching this thread as my MO did tumor markers 2 weeks ago, one month after chemo final treatment. One was a little high and she has me doing scans of everything. I had brain and bone last week and they were clear. I have chest, abdomen and pelvis next week. Yes, this causes much anxiety and stress. I guess she is just being to active. I will pray for you

• Kindergarten
    Options

Hi, Moni! I sure do remember your post! I am so sorry that you are going through this! Praying for just a cyst, no recurrence and nothing else!! You did everything right, please keep us posted!!

• Kindergarten
    Options

Hi, My sunshine!!! I am praying for all your scans to be clear!! Please keep us posted!!!

• thinkingpositive
    Options

Do your MO's run tumor markers at every followup visit and do you see your results on the patient portal? I only see results of blood work which is normal blood work that they did during getting chemo...nothing different. Unless he runs tumor markers and they do not show up on patient portal. I guess i need to ask... my concern now is my calcium levels... they are within normal range but closer to the upper range..I have read that it should be a lower number if you are older. So of course now I worry... Does anyone have higher calcium blood levels and does it mean anything???

• mysunshine48
    Options

I asked my MO about calcium levels and vitamin D levels. She said she did not do those tests. But, she does tumor markers. Go figure. I asked if she would include calcium and vitamin D with my next bloodwork. She said, No, ask you primary doctor. That makes me mad. It would be so easy for her yo do that and not have to go to primary and then to an outside place that does blood draws. I would think it would be important to know these levels. I want to know since I take calcium and vitamin D. My MO said she does tumor markers every 3 months to watch for trends. I had to ask for the paperwork that had tumor marker results.

• thinkingpositive
    Options

You wonder why they all run different blood tests...we all got asked or told which same two regimens... you wonder why they all do different blood work. Same goes for scans...why do some MO's do scans after chemo or even before..but others don't and say the cells are either dormant or they would be too small to see so there is no reason to scan...scan only if symptoms...makes you wonder if you need a second opinion on how they are treating you after all treatments..

• mysunshine48
    Options

I know. It is crazy and it drives me crazy. How is a PET scan different from CT scans of all body parts? My MO is having me have scans of brain, bone, chest, abdomen and pelvis. Doesn't a PET cover everything?

• Kindergarten
    Options

My first 3 oncs did not do tumor marker testing ! They said they were very unreliable!! It was not until we moved to CA that I had them done! She uses them to see trends. My numbers have been all over, but never went higher than 67. I have had all scans done!! She feels that this is my new norm, and unless they go up by 20 or 30 Points at a time, she will not be concerned. I have them done every3-4 months! I am due again in November! This will be the 8th time!! I hate these test for all the anxiety that they cause!!! Hang in there ladies!

• thinkingpositive
    Options

kindergarten. It looks like you have almost same pathology as mine. I know all cancers are different and even though path may look the same it most likely is different. I am curious if you had oncotype testing done and if so what was your score? My MO said mine would probably come back in the high range and it would tske three weeks for results so we opted to just start chemo. I am now regretting not doing the test. Or even pushing for scans.