Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Tumor markers elevated, a little worried right now.

Comments

• artsee
    artsee Member Posts: 701

Jennem.....I have learn to never, say never. With BC anything is possible. Just when you think you're out of the woods, something brings you back in.

With that being said, there is a lot that can make the TM rise and go down. S/E 's from different drugs and from simple things going on in the body. I just had a breast biopsy on a 7 year old scar which turned out to be benign scar tissue and necrosis from rads, but my Onco said don't be surprised If your TM's go up because of all this......and they DID.

Hope that puts you somewhat at ease.

Artsee

• 208sandy
    208sandy Member Posts: 582

TM's are used but in combination with scans, etc. and with some patients the TMs are never reliable - mine happen to be and it seems your aunt's are too but TMs going up slightly are not a reason for concern at this time - just like the dr. said - moving up the schedule is a good idea. BTW yes, you can go from Stage 1 to Stage 4 - that's what makes this disease such a horror but it doesn't seem likely in your aunt's case or the TMs would be a lot higher IMO.

• Kindergarten
    Kindergarten Member Posts: 2,883

Hi, Jennem! Welcome to this thread, and I certainly understand your concern about your dear aunt!! I so agree with Artsee and Sandy! My tumor markers have been up and down for 3 years now. I have had all the scans, and my onc also said that until they take a significant jump, she won't worry!! However, it is good to stay vigilant. Please post again and let us know how your aunt is doing . Many wonderful and lovely ladies here to encourage and support you!!

• goldie0827
    goldie0827 Member Posts: 6,835

I'm in agreement with the other girls and your aunt's onc. TM's going up and down a tiny bit, not a big deal. And nothing wrong with keeping an eye on them. Mine were on a continuous rise, about 10 points every 3 months. When they reached 100 we did scans and then a biopsy. So I wouldn't be too concerned yet, and hopefully NEVER. I hope these messages bring you and your aunt some relief. And what an awesome niece you are! She is a lucky a woman!

• muska
    muska Member Posts: 224

Jennem, I am surprised that someone who was staged 1B has been on 3 month followup schedule for so long. I am 3A from the start and the only reason they still keep me on 6 month follow up, is because I had some nodules in the lungs from the start. If not for these nodules, I would be on a yearly followup.

With regards to markers, they are just one piece of the puzzle and never an accurate tool in itself.

• melissadallas
    melissadallas Member Posts: 929

As an example, but not breast cancer, when I had a low malignant potential ovarian tumor my CA-125 was almost 1000. Normal is 0-35. They have not paid any attention at all to minimal elevations since my surgery. They would only be concerned with sequential rise.

• jennem
    jennem Member Posts: 2

can I just say you are wonderful women, and the grace and kindness you have exhibited over the past years of this thread is an inspiration ?

You are a joy and so helpful. We spent the day with my aunt, and my 3 year old son- who was I utero when she was diagnosed-was delighted with her all day. We will focus on that for three months, especially in the face of the 1 in 100 odds that her results mean anything other than a reaction to her continuing shoulder tendinitis.

I don't know any of you but feel such love for you all...you have been so amazing to each other!

Yes, both her treatment and follow up schedule and testing have been unusually aggressive for stage 1 with 0 nodes. Not sure why, she is not one to question. I am going to the next follow up to ask these questions as as I am the only vocal and scientific one in the family.

• artsee
    artsee Member Posts: 701

You are a good person Jennem. We should all be so fortunate to have a kind and caring person like you in the family. Please pop in and let us know how she is doing down the line ok?

Blessings to you both,

Artsee

• thinkingpositive
    thinkingpositive Member Posts: 564

I finished chemo Feb 5th. I have been back to the MO twice.. once 3 weeks after my last treatment, then 6 weeks after that, my next appt is July. He draws blood.. how would I know if he is checking tumor markers? I see the results of the blood work on the patient portal. All the blood tests that he runs seems to be the same ones that they ran during chemo? Do some MO's not check tumor markers? I have had no other tests / scans. Is this the protocol?

• goldie0827

ThinkingPositive, not all docs test for tumor markers as they aren't always reliable. But in my case they were and I always insisted on them. The code on your labs would be CEA, CA 15-3 and CA 27.29. Let us know.

• thinkingpositive

Thanks for responding ... is there any criteria for doctors choosing to do the testing? If they don't test, they how do they know??

• goldie0827

It's your body, just ask for them. No reason why your doctor should refuse, it's only blood work. It's expensive blood work though. So make sure your insurance will cover it. If your doc says no, ask why. And it is you prerogative to change doctors!

• thinkingpositive

Thanks, I will ask about it in July.

• Ngd54
    Ngd54 Member Posts: 29

I went back to dr. After bone scan and another CT scan. It's back! I have more nodules in lungs and deformity in bones. Dr. Is going to put me on hormone injections. I have been waiting over a week to hear if insurance will cover them! Any experience with foslodex

• 208sandy

Yes, I am on Faslodex right now - there is a thread on here for this with lots of good information.

• Kindergarten

Dear Ngd54, so sorry to hear this! Prayers that your insurance will cover all mess! We are here for you with encouragement and support!! You will conquer this new challenge , I know it! Please keep us posted

• Kindergarten

Dear NGd54, I meant meds!! Sorry!

• goldie0827

NGd, I hope you can get the Faslodex, it's such an easy treatment, but it is expensive. I had no SE's with it, but it did not work for me. Good luck!

• Ngd54

thanks, I will look at thread. After 2 weeks, I was finally approved and start next week

• Kindergarten

That is great, Ngd54!!

• linnyhopp
    linnyhopp Member Posts: 466

Hello everyone...I finished reading all of your posts since I was last on the site. I am glad that some of you have had good news and results and very sorry to hear that there have been some not so good news. I was happy to read that your treatment was approved, Ngd54. This disease is so sneaky and I hate what it does to us. I will be seeing my new MO on the 27th and it's always a very unnerving time for me, as I imagine it is pretty much the same for all of us. I am not sure if the new MO will follow what my original doctor did, but I am kind of happy I will be seeing a woman. Two of the teachers I work with are her patients and they both love her. I hope I feel the same.

Take care and know that I am thinking only positive thoughts for all of you wonderful women!

• goldie0827

Good luck with the new MO Linda, I hope you like her too. Let us know.

NGD, good luck on the Faslodex, it's really an easy treatment, at least I thought it was.

• Kindergarten

hi, Linda, so good to see you!! Hope your visit with your new MO goes very well!!!

Hi, Goldie, good to see you, too!

I saw my dermatologist and she removed a suspicious mole and took a biopsy!!

It was not a melanoma, but it is a squamous cell skin cancer!! I go back this Thursday, and I may have Moh's surgery done! This is my first skin cancer!!

Hugs to all!!!

• Ngd54

finally put on Falsodex. Insurance approved it for 6 months. Haven't had SE so am happy. Have been reading about diet to put cancer in remission. Anyone try the no sugar no white flour low carbohydrate with success? I figure it can't hurt and I am overweight.

• Kindergarten

hi, Ngd54, so glad that you have been put on Falsodex!! The no sugar and no white flour diet sounds great!

• linnyhopp

Hi to you Kindergarten...so happy to hear your biopsy turned out to be squamous cell and not melanoma. I know the Moh's procedure isn't fun, but it beats the heck out of chemo, doesn't it?

Goldie ~ Thanks for the encouragement. It will be weird to have another doctor, but I am thinking positive and hope it will be a positive change. Of course, I am always nervous about the mammogram and clinical breast exam results. I am not sure how she feels about tumor marker tests, but I will find out very soon!

Ngd ~ Glad you are able to have the treatment you were hoping to get. I need to look into the "no white/carbs diet." I definitely need to lose weight!

• Ngd54

Thanks for all of your support. Sending hugs to all of you who face this journey.

• Kindergarten

Hi, Everyone!! Good news, I did not have to have the MOH surgery!! It was very small I had the lazier and curettage treatment

• linnyhopp

Kinder/Kathy ~ Fabulous news! I am so happy for you.

• 208sandy

Great news Kathy!