Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Tumor markers elevated, a little worried right now.

Options
1141516171820»

Comments

• jacksnana
    jacksnana Member Posts: 28
    Options

Oh these darn tumor markers! Mine have always fluctuated. They have always been on the high end of normal, but still in normal range. Mine have gone up 5 points then went back down. My oncologist has never been concerned about them, she says this is just what's normal for me. I'm so thankful to be 8 1/2 years out from diagnosis!

• ChaCha57
    ChaCha57 Member Posts: 6
    Options

Thank you Kbeee. I keep seeing the inflammation connection just don’t know why it is increasing unless it is part of aging... I’m getting back to basics and cutting back on inflammatory foods and continuing to stay active so hopefully I’ll get a better result next time

• ChaCha57
    ChaCha57 Member Posts: 6
    Options

thanks jacksnana! This helps a lot with my anxiety. Wonderful to hear you are 8 1/2 years out. What a blessing this group is. I’ve been stable for most of my post chemo and herceptin treatment so this caught me off guard and I hadn’t been on the boards in so long I had to create a new account since my former email was attached to my former employer. Again, thank you and I wish you many more healthy years ahead

• sharware
    sharware Member Posts: 67
    Options

Hello everyone - it's me again. After all the scans starting in December from nuclear bone scan, CT scan, MRI and PET scan last week - all leading to a bone biopsy - my breast cancer has been confirmed to have spread to my left pubic symphasis bone. A very small area and only in that one spot. So I will be getting radiation, Xgeva injections, and switching to Aromasin from Arimidex. Thank God my MO tested for tumor markers and when they started to rise, he started ordering scans. I know this is technically Stage 4 breast cancer, but he says my prognosis is excellent as it is in a small area and no place else. Anyone else out there with similar results? Thanks for your information and support. Prayers for all of us

• goldie0827
    goldie0827 Member Posts: 6,833
    Options

I've only known gals to get rads for pain. Once radiated, it can't be radiated again. But hey, what do I know! You may want to ask about that.

• sharware
    Options

Okay - I’ve been “mapped” and starting CyberKnife next week - total of 5 treatments given every other day. These rads will kill and obliterate the cancer cells according to my new rad onc. I’ve not had radiation in this area before but am all for killing these cells. I’m not having any pain, which is fortunate, this reoccurrence has been caught early. Switching to Aromisin this week too and stopping Arimidex. Wish meluck and keep me in your prayers and I will do the same for you. God bless this special place and all who dwell within!

• sharware
    Options

This is a test as I’m not receiving “notices” in my e-mail from Breastcancer.org replies. To update everyone, I was diagnosed with a bone recurrence but only in one spot. So I’ve had SBRT radiation and will be scanned again in February 2019. Right now my tumor markers have returned to normal.....31.2. Now let’s see if this goes through

• goldie0827
    Options

Sending a reply in hopes that you get the email....

• Honey2423
    Honey2423 Member Posts: 2
    Options

Hi ladies, not sure if I'm posting this right, bit here goes I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2014 of July, at the age of 32 had a lumpectomy and radiation, I think I'm fine right now, but here's my question do emergency rooms check tumor markers? Had to go to ER last week from a allergic reaction to a medication, they drew blood and the Dr said my blood was a little off something about markers. I didn't know what he was talking about so I didn't ask questions, when I got home I looked up markers in blood and now I'm so worried and stressed I have a Dr appointment next Monday, but trying to get all the info I can on markers, thank you Jennifer.

• KBeee
    KBeee Member Posts: 695
    Options

ERs can check for almost anything. They would not necessarily automatically check for them, but I would ask for a copy of your bloodwork and other reports from the hospital. You should just have to sign a release to get all reports.

• Honey2423
    Honey2423 Member Posts: 2
    Options

Ok, thank you for replying,

• Cooljewels
    Cooljewels Member Posts: 2
    Options

Just saw my Onc last week my CA 27.29 was 38.5 said it was a little abnormal, she is sending me for a CT Scan, I am worried. They said normal CA 27.29 is 37.7.

• edwards750
    edwards750 Member Posts: 1,568
    Options

A rise in tumor markers numbers doesn’t necessarily mean the cancer has spread. There are other factors that can cause the numbers to increase. Better be safe but try not to panic. My MO never ordered them for me because she says there were too many false positives plus I had early stage BC and a small tumor so she didn’t see the need.

Good luck! Keep us posted

Diane

• paddymom
    paddymom Member Posts: 6
    Options

My onc does not seem concerned at all about the fact that my tumor markers had nearly doubled at my last 6 month check-up. I have been NED since July 2015 but have had some moderate health concerns lately. After a two month wait to have blood work retested today, he did not even meet with me to discuss my concerns! I don’t want to be overly dramatic, but I have spent the past two months worried about this and got no information or help today. I have been satisfied with my care from the staff but I wish my doctor was treating me like a part of my own care team. I feel like I have been left in the dark. Am I being overly sensitive

• KBeee
    KBeee Member Posts: 695
    Options

Paddymom, my former MO was like that and his lacksidasical attitude landed me in the hospital during chemo. I finally dumped him after he was ignoring lumps because I was "not at risk for recurrence". Best decision I ever made. I love my current MO!

• goldie0827
    Options

Paddy, you are not being over sensitive and your onc is being an A$$. Time to find a new one. After my 5 years of NED, I insisted seeing my onc and having labs done every 6 months, not annually. My markers started to elevate, so we did scans and walla….mets to the bone. You don't say what stage you are. Keep an eye on those labs and if they continue to rise, insist on scans. Your onc works for you, not the other way around. And if he/she won't, then move on to another.

Good Luck.

• Sherry2019
    Sherry2019 Member Posts: 7
    Options

Hello

I have a question can tumor marker detact brain mets?

Thanks

• muska
    muska Member Posts: 224
    Options

Tumor markers do not “detect” mets but in some (not all) patients steadily rising tumor markers may be a sign of something and prompt to conduct more tests/scans

• LindaJeanne60
    LindaJeanne60 Member Posts: 3
    Options

Just looking for others experiences regarding a slightly elevated CA15-3 result. Treated in 2018 for 35mm invasive lobular with 18/18 positive nodes. FEC/T, radiotherapy, 4 zometa infusions and currently taking Letrozole. My last CT scan was fine but I know lobular does not always show up on imaging, hence the advanced diagnosis. My CA15-3 levels have been as follows - April 19 20.3, Dec 19 20.1, Dec 20 23.4. My latest result is 34.5 - normal range up to 28.5. I am having a repeat test and feel it will lead to a further increase and investigations for mets. I know there are many factors that can cause fluctuations but on the whole I feel that I have been looking for hope that it will be OK. Trying to not get ahead of myself but it is not easy. I would be grateful if anyone could share their experiences of increases in CA15-3 and what the outcomes were.

Thank you.

• queendaughter
    queendaughter Member Posts: 1
    Options

I just want to thank you all. My mom has had mets since 2020, and has me check her blood tests. I saw these markers as high, and kind of freaked as I’m on a work trip and can’t reach her. Importantly, there is no other evidence she’s ever had this test done (at least at where we can see the results).

I have been sitting by the hotel pool behind a curtain crying my eyes out until I read you all. Thank you so much for calming me down a bit - I am giving you the biggest virtual hugs possible!

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,007
    Options

We know it can be concerning to see elevated numbers @queendaughter! We hope the info in this thread can help put your mind at ease.

The Mods