Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Tumor markers elevated, a little worried right now.

Options

Comments

• goldie0827
    goldie0827 Member Posts: 6,835
    Options

My onc will include anything I ask him in my labs, that way it's only one stick. And there are not always symptoms with a recurrence. I had none, still don't. It was TM's that sent up the red flag. This is not true for everyone, same goes for scans. So I think I would opt for any tests available. It's not going to stop anything, but at least it could be caught earlier.

Moni, I hope they find NOTHING and that new job will be awesome.

Mysunshine, good luck on your results.

ThinkingPositive, try insisting that you would like your calcium and vitamin D checked. Tell him/her that you really don't want to have to make another doctors appointment when they can just add it to your current order. Ridiculous! My TM's are checked every 6 weeks. Onc wanted me to do every 3, I said no. Living life 6 weeks at a time is bad enough!

• moni731
    moni731 Member Posts: 212
    Options

goldie0827- Thank you. They have ruled out a cyst, said it is a solid mass with vascularity and with a birads of 5, I am resigned. My only conundrum is whether to do anything before I start the new job or wait. Have already given notice of my other job (don't want to stay there anyway) and really don't want anything to mess this up. I am going to ask my MO if we can do a PET without a biopsy to determine if anything else is questionable before proceeding. I figure it has been there at least 20 months, if not longer (since first TM spike), what's another 6-8 weeks?

• mysunshine48
    mysunshine48 Member Posts: 915
    Options

moni, I am sure you don't want to hear this, but do not wait! I feel so bad for you about your job, but you want to be around for any job! However, listen to your MO! Thoughts and prayers with you!

• Kindergarten
    Kindergarten Member Posts: 2,883
    Options

Hi, ThinkingPositive!! I did not have the oncotype test, since I had a tumor in each Breastt and one positive node! Chemo and radiation was was the plan!! I then had a double mastectomy.

• Kindergarten
    Options

dear, Moni!! I am sorry to hear this! However, is it a recurrence in your other breast and not mets? My dear friend had a recurrence in her other breast and she is doing great! She only needs 4 weeks of radiation! I am lifting you up,in prayer!

• moni731
    Options

Hi Kindergarten! At this point, no idea. Would probably be a new primary if everything else is clear. I am doing TM's tomorrow and should have results Wed. I am asking the MO her opinion also. I have a 6 mo appt, with her in three weeks anyway. I can have no more chemo, so that is out. I did not do radiation last time (too long of time lapse) and am allergic to Herceptin. If I can do surgery only, then so be it. I got almost five years last time!

• thinkingpositive
    thinkingpositive Member Posts: 564
    Options

Kindergarten, thanks for the response. I kept thinking that it was only me that didn't get the onoctype test. Had in the back of my head that they didn't want to bother because it would not have made a difference. Thats what I keep thinking about them giving me two choices for the chemo...that it didn't matter.. I really need to stop thinking...

• moni731
    Options

Hi all, continuation of my story. I called the MO today and of course she is on vacation for 2 weeks. I talked to the nurse and explained my problem. She listened and said she would check with the NP covering and would call back. She actually called back in minutes saying the NP would order the PET no problem and without doing a biopsy first. Yeah! That should give me some answers to what next. Last time it only took a couple days to get scheduled, so hoping for quick turn around.

Thinkingpositive- I did not have an Onco test either. Triple + are considered aggressive anyway.

• Kindergarten
    Options

Hi, Moni!! I am so glad you are getting the Pet Scan done!! Please keep us posted

• moni731
    Options

Kindergarten- thanks, and yes I will. Should have the TM's result on Wed.

• thinkingpositive
    Options

moni731. Hope everything goes well with your scan

• goldie0827
    Options

Moni, glad you are getting what you want! Let us know, and praying they find nothing!

• moni731
    Options

Hi all. Just got my CA 27-29 665.9. Seals it I guess. Still waiting for the PET schedule.

• goldie0827
    Options

Moni, what were your numbers before? 665 is high, but they may have higher before?

• moni731
    Options

Kindergarten- Always have been in the low 20's. In Oct 13, jumped to 48, then to mid-thirties (had kidney issue at the time). Then 1/15- 54 2/15- 49 3/15- 41. My MO thought it was just allergic inflammation, so we quit testing. I found a lump in June (opposite breast to original) and watched it through a couple cycles and it felt to be larger. Since I had an appt at the end of Sept, I asked her if she wanted to wait until I saw her. Nope. She wanted an US now. BIRADS 5. Since I was close to getting blood work anyway, just did it early. Liver enzymes were off the chart and the CA27-29 665.I have had right upper quadrant pain for the last year or so, nothing horrible, but enough to notice and told her of it. I doubt that the CA could be that high from something else. My MO said she starts to worry if it is over 100.

• moni731
    Options

ThinkingPositive- Thank you.

• mysunshine48
    Options

Moni, Sending prayers your way. I get scan results tomorrow.

• moni731
    Options

Mysunshine48- Crossing my fingers for an all clear! Glad your MO is being proactive.

• Kindergarten
    Options

Dear Moni! I am praying that the new lump is a recurrence and not mets!! Please let us know how the Pet Scan looks!!

Dear MYSunshine! Please let us know your scan results!! Prayers are coming your way

• mysunshine48
    Options

Praise God, scans were clear. MO does not know why tumor marker CEA was high. Had more bloodwork done today to see if numbers changed. Did both 27/29 and CEA. Ohhhhhh If CEA is still high, I need a colonoscopy. Had one 2 years ago and nothing. So relieved to get good results, but this is very stressful! I have lost 5 pounds in two weeks cause I could not eat.

Moni, prayers going up for you! And, each one of you as you are all special, wonderful, strong women and we all deserve good things in our lives. I do believe God hears our prayers.

• mysunshine48
    Options

Kindergarten, Thank you for your prayers!

• goldie0827
    Options

So happy for you Sunshine! Sorry it caused you so much worry, but I can relate! Sending prayers to all of you, and especially Moni right now.

• moni731
    Options

Yeah Sunshine! Very glad to hear the news. Thanks everyone for the support. Told my soon to be ex- co-workers last night. We were altogether the first time around. I think they were absolutely stunned. I had already given notice there for 9/26. I've worked with many of them for over 16 years. This will be strange, not being there any more! Well, life goes on.

Have a great holiday weekend!

• Kindergarten
    Options

Praise the Lord, MySunshine!! So many things can affect Tumor Markers!!

Hi, Goldie, hope you are doing well!

Hi, Moni!! You have so much on your plate right now! Once you get the plan in place, things will settle down! Please come here for support, prayers and encouragement ! You sound like a very strong and positive woman, you will again kick that cancer yo the curb

• mysunshine48
    Options

I do not understand tumor markers. My bloodwork showed CEA actually went up one number. So, my MO had me see a gastrointerologist and I had a colonoscopy and an endoscopy yesterday. Colon clean. I age had a cough all through chemo, therefore the endoscopy. Found some inflamation at the bottom of my esophagus and took a biopsy. This is all very stressful.

• Kindergarten
    Options

Dear MySunshine! I know this is all so stressful!! God Bless You, you are new in this journey, and you have had so much on your plate already!! I, too just recently had a colonoscopy and endoscopy! Biopsies came out OK!! Yours will too!! Please keep us posted!

• mysunshine48
    Options

Had colonoscopy and endoscopy last Friday. Found nothing outright, but took some biopsies. I was told about a week for pathology. So, with all the scans and these two procedures, why is my CEA over 7? Is there something somewhere that they cannot find? I hsve a hard time not thinking about this. How many tests can you have? And, I'm sure insurance has limits.

• mysunshine48
    Options

Uh oh, I see I already posted on this. Guess I am just worried and don't know what to do.

• thinkingpositive
    Options

I'm a wreck...just got my CA125 results...elevated. Number was 51. Wanted my ovaries out after going through BC, have an ovarian cyst that I have been following up on for many years...always was told its a simple cyst does not turn to cancer... no reason to have it out unless its bothering you....blah blah blah...So I schedule appt with OB/Gyn to for annual and to have the surgery scheduled for the ovary removal. (One year ago she found the lump in my breast which ended up being BC.... now this ...??? ) She tells me she is going to run CA125 and to go for ultrasound so that we can schedule the surgery. Anyone else experience a CA125 with elevated levels? Can fermara cause increase? Anything else...?? Have an ultrasound scheduled for tomorrow am.. Don't want to go to Dr. Google so if anyone can share any info it would be greatly appreciated.

• lovetodance1
    lovetodance1 Member Posts: 15
    Options

you recently finished chemo. Cea can be slightly elevated up to 6 months after chemo due to insult on liver. Chemo can also screw up your thyroid and hypothyroidism can cause higher cea due to lower metabolism and hence slower clearance from liver. In other words, check thyroid and see if your tsh is over 5. If it is your thyroid is hypoactive.